• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences

1gPbWNM.png

Etclffj.png

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Are you new here? We have people jumping for 4-packs to save pennies.

Sure, but 99c DLC tends to get ignored when the base game is discounted. (It's always nice when it does in cases where there's a ton of it, though -- e.g. SFxT.)

cicero

Game, set, and match. Where is your GOG now?

I love GOG

edit: today is turning out much more expensive than I had originally thought it would be.

I would rather have it on GOG. DRM-Free, mp3/FLAC soundtrack, plus the other extras.

HoosTrax

System Shock, along with Deus Ex, is one of those game that I really regret that I didn't play when it originally came out. Those types of games can be hard to get into for a modern gamer I feel like, and not just from a graphics standpoint. Hell I have a hard enough time trying to get into Bioshock 1.

JaseC

I remember playing the demo of System Shock 2 on a mate's PC. It had a 4MB S3 card, which wasn't enough for all of the game's textures, so instead of the intended texture there'd just be a blank slate with a sort of rainbow effect.

Good times.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I would rather have it on GOG. DRM-Free, mp3/FLAC soundtrack, plus the other extras.

I don't feel great about supporting GOG with 6 month exclusives for old ass games they dropped on their lap and to be honest I never listen to game soundtracks outside of games so it's a pretty fucking useless set of bonuses for 3$ extra dollars when compared to this deal atm.

nexen

I don't feel great about supporting GOG with 6 month exclusives for old ass games they handed dropped on their lap and to be honest I never listen to game soundtracks outside of games so it's a pretty fucking useless set of bonuses for 3$ extra dollars when compared to this deal atm.

Make an exception for Blood Dragon soundtrack.

So good.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
The proceeds from the Castle Crashers DLC goes to charity, so have some class and try not to whine about it, people.
If I want to donate to charity, I'll donate to charity. When I'm buying a game, I don't care where the money is going to, I only care about getting the best price I can, or at least one that I'm comfortable with.

System Shock, along with Deus Ex, is one of those game that I really regret that I didn't play when it originally came out. Those types of games can be hard to get into for a modern gamer I feel like, and not just from a graphics standpoint. Hell I have a hard enough time trying to get into Bioshock 1.
Did you really find Deus Ex hard to get to? I thought it was amazing, and a totally refreshing experience. It's probably the best game I'll play this year. Also, I'd kill a puppy if that meant I could get the soundtrack in .mp3 format.

I agree with you about BioShock, its gameplay is terrible.

Steam DRM? Steam doesn't even need to be opened to start the game. I can't believe Valve is supporting the piracy scene by providing easy access to hard work.

Yeah. PSA: Steam is not DRM. CEG, a component of Steamworks, is DRM. It's just a case of most Steam games have CEG enabled. However, for thouse games that don't have CEG, they're as DRM-free as buying DRM-free games from Impulse or Desura.

Blizzard

Banned
Steam DRM? Steam doesn't even need to be opened to start the game. I can't believe Valve is supporting the piracy scene by providing easy access to hard work.
Skyrim was originally that way but had it patched in later. System Shock 2 is so old that whoever did it might not bother though.

iavi

I wonder if the Steam version will launch with a discount considering the DD re-release is 9 months old now.

Probably a small 10% at most, initially. Squuenix always does deep discounts during the major sales, though, so it'll be super cheap at some point.

---

Interestingly enough, Lords of Shadow's Valvetestapp entry was deleted and replaced with an "unknown app ID" that's still showing updates as of less than 30 min ago, so I have no clue what's going on there.

Ultimate Ninja Storm 3's has done the same thing. Must be a result of the new DB system.

JaseC

Skyrim was originally that way but had it patched in later. System Shock 2 is so old that whoever did it might not bother though.

I'd say Skyrim had CEG patched into the main executable because it was mistakenly released without it. The launcher, which is what Steam launches, was tethered to the client from the off.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Pinball FX2 is up. The packs are $8.99 a piece for the next week.

Play Game button throws me into the COmmunity Page. Nice.

Also, this game took SO LONG to come on PCs that I refuse to pay the asking price for the extra tables.

Summer Sale it is.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

Impossible. Steam is actively forcing DRM onto developers that don't want it.

cicero

I don't feel great about supporting GOG with 6 month exclusives for old ass games they dropped on their lap and to be honest I never listen to game soundtracks outside of games so it's a pretty fucking useless set of bonuses for 3$ extra dollars when compared to this deal atm.

I get those reasons. But as for me personally, I don't really take issue with GOG's six month period of exclusivity for certain older titles. I haven't seen Steam put the same effort into getting these old games working, and I'm sure not going to hold my breath until they do thinking that they ever will move in that direction. I haven't listened to the majority of game soundtracks I currently own yet, but I do love the ones I do listen to.

The one thing you did leave out was DRM-Free, which I actually consider one of the main reasons to buy from GOG. I'm sure SS2 is like the Steam Thief releases, which work fine without Steam once they are installed. I still desire that entirely unconnected DRM-Free access that doesn't rely on any kind of leash to a service that considers me a renter of access to my own purchases. I give Gabe the benefit of the doubt to a certain extent, but I never stop suspecting the motives and actions of any corporate interests entirely.

But ATM? This deal is worth getting and if I wasn't watching my spending so closely, I would get in on it too. I have to make a choice though, so I choose GOG later during a 50% off sale.

feel

Is $20 a good price for Max Payne 3? Has it been lower or is it likely to go lower soon? Been hitching to play it since they announced GTA5's on-foot controls are lifted from it and everyone got excited.

Also, anyone with Burnout Paradise by any chance had the problem with it crashing in the initial loading and was able to fix it?

Spwn

Is $20 a good price for Max Payne 3? Has it been lower or is it likely to go lower soon? Been hitching to play it since they announced GTA5's on-foot controls are lifted from it and everyone got excited.

Wasn't it like $10 last weekend?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I get those reasons. But as for me personally, I don't really take issue with GOG's six month period of exclusivity for certain older titles. I haven't seen Steam put the same effort into getting these old games working, and I'm sure not going to hold my breath until they do thinking that they ever will move in that direction. I haven't listened to the majority of game soundtracks I currently own yet, but I do love the ones I do listen to.

The one thing you did leave out was DRM-Free, which I actually consider one of the main reasons to buy from GOG. I'm sure SS2 is like the Steam Thief releases, which work fine without Steam once they are installed. I still desire that entirely unconnected DRM-Free access that doesn't rely on any kind of leash to a service that considers me a renter of access to my own purchases. I give Gabe the benefit of the doubt to a certain extent, but I never stop suspecting the motives and actions of any corporate interests entirely.

But ATM? This deal is worth getting and if I wasn't watching my spending so closely, I would get in on it too. I have to make a choice though, so I choose GOG later during a 50% off sale.

Dude you have to login to GOG once to download SS2 and then you can do whatever you like with the files. With Steam you have to login in once to download SS2 and then you can do whatever you want with the files. Remember that time when GOG just shut itself down for a week as a joke for the rebranding? I consider that a pretty firm yanking of the leash.

GOG absolutely did zero work making this game compatible with modern systems, it's all community fixes. The same goes for quite a few other fan favorites on their platform, including Fallout 1/2, Baldur's Gate and Thief 1/2.

Nabs

Also, anyone with Burnout Paradise by any chance had the problem with it crashing in the initial loading and was able to fix it?

It's been lower and it's going to probably be on sale next week. Tony has a bundle with MP3/GTAIV/LA Noire for 12 bucks coming up at the end of the month.

Check the SPUF on BP. I think you have to run it in compatibility mode to get it running.

Blizzard

Banned
I'd say Skyrim had CEG patched into the main executable because it was mistakenly released without it. The launcher, which is what Steam launches, was tethered to the client from the off.
What's CEG stand for? I assume it's the Steam executable lock launching system.

And yes that's what I'm saying, if someone notices maybe they'll patch in a Steam requirement! I think it's sort of unlikely though since it sounds like people involved may not even have the source code. =P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom