• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaneB

To chime in on the Pinball Arcade vs. Pinball FX argument I enjoy both. Pinball Arcade is as lifelike a simulation of real world tables as you are likely to find and for that reason does a great job of letting gamers experience tables that are hard to find in today's world. Pinball FX is more of a fantastical take on pinball as a game and bends the rules where it feels it's more exciting to do so.

As a result you have pinball purists crying about Pinball FX being a travesty; admittedly it's not fantastic physics but it's damn fun. Think of Pinball Arcade as Arma and Pinball FX as Call of Duty. If you want to experience some of the best table designs manufactured in a world bound by physics than pick up PA, if you are okay with table layouts being physically impossible to reproduce but providing a fantastical take on the game Pinball FX is no slouch.

That said, I was disappointed to find that Pinball FX doesn't seem to support a "landscape" view. I'm pretty sure I'm using the complete opposite terminology but what I mean to say is, like a lot of shmups, I was hoping I could set the view so I could tilt my monitor on it's side so it's taller than it is wider (thus more akin to a pinball table). Does anyone know if Pinball Arcade will have a similar feature?

This sounds like a pretty good comparison. I'm itching for some pinball action, so I might just get a PFX2 pack until Pinball Arcade is available.

derExperte

Didn't pinball FX have a street fighter table? I want that.

Also, I want to show my support of pinball games but only want to buy one pack. which is best?

Star Wars would be a no brainer were it not for the clone wars table.

Not all tables are available on all platforms. PC doesn't have Plants vs Zombies either, I hope they'll come later.

Best packs? Hard to say after only a few hours but I think SW (Clone Wars is good), Marvel Original and Marvel Avengers are worth it.

Wok

header.jpg

http://steamdb.info/app/202352/#section_history

What could this be?

The app is in a package related to Steam Mobile Beta.

nexen

To chime in on the Pinball Arcade vs. Pinball FX argument I enjoy both. Pinball Arcade is as lifelike a simulation of real world tables as you are likely to find and for that reason does a great job of letting gamers experience tables that are hard to find in today's world. Pinball FX is more of a fantastical take on pinball as a game and bends the rules where it feels it's more exciting to do so.

As a result you have pinball purists crying about Pinball FX being a travesty; admittedly it's not fantastic physics but it's damn fun. Think of Pinball Arcade as Arma and Pinball FX as Call of Duty. If you want to experience some of the best table designs manufactured in a world bound by physics than pick up PA, if you are okay with table layouts being physically impossible to reproduce but providing a fantastical take on the game Pinball FX is no slouch.

The problem for me is that Pinball FX is really stuck in this weird middle zone. They don't take the fantastic far enough to be interesting and they don't simulate real pinball well enough to be good. I could honestly get behind super-impossible pinball adventure fun-land. But what we get from them instead is just regular old pinball with balls that move slightly too fast and are too bouncy and fully animated characters. That is really it. The rest is a basically stuff that has been done way better in real world pinball tables and available on Pinball Arcade.

Didn't pinball FX have a street fighter table? I want that.

Also, I want to show my support of pinball games but only want to buy one pack. which is best?

Star Wars would be a no brainer were it not for the clone wars table.
Try before you buy. I found Street Fighter to be one of their worst tables.
I really dislike most of the marvel/avengers tables as well. The Avengers one with the Lovecraft influence was decent though.
Some of the tables I think are worth playing are:
The underwater one (sorry, forget the name. There is a submersible on the table though)
Epic Quest
Plants vs Zombies
Tesla

Even though I am a huge SW nerd I haven't played the Star Wars tables.

Rapstah

You could probably generate a pretty interesting trading card game by creating cards out of game information parameters (controller support, HDR, Steam Cloud) and giving them a health system based on Metascore and an attack power system based on the relative amount of people who recommend it to their friends price.

Shit, I might actually make this.

masterkajo

Just uninstalled Tomb Raider... Wow, that game is bad. Played up until a point where I got burning arrows and suddenly 30 dudes just decide to charge me at once. I died about 15 times (the game started to give me hints to what I should be doing... and I did exactly that beforehand anyway) and that sent me over the edge. Wasn't very impressed from the beginning. Did not care the least bit for any character. Half of the time I had limited or no control over Lara's movements. Dodging did not work as advertised (dodge while aiming and you will auto focus on dodged enemy) and I usually end up in a far worse place than taking the hit/shot... Don't get me started on the story so far and on superhuman Lara Croft.

I can understand that some people like it since there were some small parts I enjoyed (e.g: I am in love with bows) but all in all this is not a game for me. Far too shallow, linear storywise on the one hand and pseudo open world and gimicky collecty on the other. Just not my game. Even though with max settings the third person perspective made Lara's
hair
look nice.

I was trying to pre-load Metro Last Light while Steam was updating Global Offensive and now it's not downloading either games :(

I have tried restarting Steam and restarting download. The Counter Strike download is completely frozen..

plz help!

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Man, I wish I could transfer my 360 PBFX table licenses onto Steam... I have so many tables.

1080p PBFX.... ugggghhh I won't double dip... I won't.

Just uninstalled Tomb Raider... Wow, that game is bad. Played up until a point where I got burning arrows and suddenly 30 dudes just decide to charge me at once. I died about 15 times (the game started to give me hints to what I should be doing... and I did exactly that beforehand anyway) and that sent me over the edge. Wasn't very impressed from the beginning. Did not care the least bit for any character. Half of the time I had limited or no control over Lara's movements. Dodging did not work as advertised (dodge while aiming and you will auto focus on dodged enemy) and I usually end up in a far worse place than taking the hit/shot... Don't get me started on the story so far and on superhuman Lara Croft.

I can understand that some people like it since there were some small parts I enjoyed (e.g: I am in love with bows) but all in all this is not a game for me. Far too shallow, linear storywise on the one hand and pseudo open world and gimicky collecty on the other. Just not my game. Even though with max settings the third person perspective made Lara's
hair
look nice.

played 20 hours and had no issues. Found it to be a pretty enjoyable game.

Kassu

Banned
I'm really having fun with Max Payne 3. I'm probably in the last few chapters and even though the story is even dumber than in the original ones, the gameplay is really enjoyable. It has really captured well feeling of playing as a main character in a good action movie and even though I can see why the people aren't liking it much as the earlier games or usual Rockstar games, it really isn't bad at all either. There are few small problems in the game like Max colliding with almost everything while causing you to die or too long cutscenes, but those didn't bother me too much.

I have no idea how good the multiplayer actually is though. Are there even people playing it anymore? If there are, I could probably try to play few matches before jumping to the next game.

The problem for me is that Pinball FX is really stuck in this weird middle zone. They don't take the fantastic far enough to be interesting and they don't simulate real pinball well enough to be good. I could honestly get behind super-impossible pinball adventure fun-land. But what we get from them instead is just regular old pinball with balls that move slightly too fast and are too bouncy and fully animated characters. That is really it. The rest is a basically stuff that has been done way better in real world pinball tables and available on Pinball Arcade.

Fair enough, I just think those that slag on Pinball FX are perhaps being a little over zealous with their criticism. It's not SO far removed from pinball that it's completely unrecognizable; which admittedly you're kind of saying already, but I think even suggesting it's in a "middle ground" is a bit of a misnomer. Semantics aside, Pinball FX satisfies my cravings for shiny, flashy things in much the same way Peggle did for a time period.

To speak to my favourite tables:
Under the Deep (I think), Paranormal, Epic Quest and Street Fighter are the ones I come back to most often.

That said, I was disappointed to find that Pinball FX doesn't seem to support a "landscape" view. I'm pretty sure I'm using the complete opposite terminology but what I mean to say is, like a lot of shmups, I was hoping I could set the view so I could tilt my monitor on it's side so it's taller than it is wider (thus more akin to a pinball table). Does anyone know if Pinball Arcade will have a similar feature?

Edit: I was wrong, it's "portrait" mode that I'm looking to have as an option.

Turns out portrait mode is supported but you have to change the display settings on your desktop prior to loading the game. Bit sloppy but it works nonetheless.

nexen

Fair enough, I just think those that slag on Pinball FX are perhaps being a little over zealous with their criticism. It's not SO far removed from pinball that it's completely unrecognizable; which admittedly you're kind of saying already, but I think even suggesting it's in a "middle ground" is a bit of a misnomer. Semantics aside, Pinball FX satisfies my cravings for shiny, flashy things in much the same way Peggle did for a time period.

To speak to my favourite tables:
Under the Deep (I think), Paranormal, Epic Quest and Street Fighter are the ones I come back to most often.

Turns out portrait mode is supported but you have to change the display settings on your desktop prior to loading the game. Bit sloppy but it works nonetheless.

Heh. I actually considered likening it to Peggle. It is closer to Peggle than pinball to me. I guess I'm mostly down on it because I really wanted them to take the concept further. Unfulfilled potential is more annoying than bad execution to me.

FloatOn

I think my business trip to Texas fucked with my brain. Now that I'm home I had every intention on playing the games I bought before the trip but now they are not seeming to hold my attention.

I did get my first anti cube in Fez though, so there's that.

I think I'll play some System Shock 2 and see what all the fuss is about.

masterkajo

Apparently masterkajo doesn't agree with you.

Well, you see. I played on hard, mainly used the bow and was not in the best mood and then the game throws a stupid big fight scene at me... I think it was just the tip of the iceberg there. Before that I had no real problem. Maybe dying once or twice since I refused to switch to other weapons than my precious bow.

I totally agree with the "good stupid" but not 100% with the fun part. Maybe my post came about a bit too harsh. It is an ok game but I was just expecting more than a B-movie equivalent. I don't play much games (mainly read and talk about on GAF, duh) but the ones I play mostly have high standards in various aspects (story, gameplay etc). With Tomb Raider everything was mediocre at best.

Well, you see. I played on hard, mainly used the bow and was not in the best mood and then the game throws a stupid big fight scene at me... I think it was just the tip of the iceberg there. Before that I had no real problem. Maybe dying once or twice since I refused to switch to other weapons than my precious bow.

I totally agree with the "good stupid" but not 100% with the fun part. Maybe my post came about a bit too harsh. It is an ok game but I was just expecting more than a B-movie equivalent. I don't play much games (mainly read and talk about on GAF, duh) but the ones I play mostly have high standards in various aspects (story, gameplay etc). With Tomb Raider everything was mediocre at best.

I agree, doing everything with the bow might be quite hard.

I certainly did not find the game mediocre. It's not the best game ever for sure, but I like the road they chose. It's really different from the other TRs. It's more cinematographic and I think it was a good choice (even though the story is really bad), and it's good stupid fun as toddhunter says.

Yuterald

Question. Some games found their way into my library that I don't wish to see on my list. I believe it's Block Ops 2, some Sanctum game, and a Marvel title. It says that they are free weekend games or some shit like that, but I have no interest in playing them nor do I want them on my Steam library. Will these games disappear after the free days expire? Also, was there some option I had selected where these automatically downloaded/appeared in my library that I can disable? Sorry if this question sounds odd, but I just recently got into Steam/PC gaming.

Question. Some games found their way into my library that I don't wish to see on my list. I believe it's Block Ops 2, some Sanctum game, and a Marvel title. It says that they are free weekend games or some shit like that, but I have no interest in playing them nor do I want them on my Steam library. Will these games disappear after the free days expire? Also, was there some option I had selected where these automatically downloaded/appeared in my library that I can disable? Sorry if this question sounds odd, but I just recently got into Steam/PC gaming.

They will disappear by themselves.

Yes, they will go away.

Don't think there's an option to do that.

Yuterald

Good luck with that. The last one who tried that turned insane and got himself banned.

Wait, what, lol!? How would keeping a library/profile organized and clean lead to someone getting banned? Did they frequent the thread and constantly ask questions or something? Maybe the guy was too OCD about the whole thing? =D

Wait, what, lol!? How would keeping a library/profile organized and clean lead to someone getting banned? Did they frequent the thread and constantly ask questions or something? Maybe the guy was too OCD about the whole thing? =D

I think he went as far as making a new Steam account and using that as his main account. He was also thinking about just quitting Steam altogether.

MoxManiac

You can filter so only installed games show up. Is it really a big deal to have games you don't want grayed out?

Yuterald

I think he went as far as making a new Steam account and using that as his main account. He was also thinking about just quitting Steam altogether.

You can start reading here. Probably the saddest moment in Steam Thread history... well, after Amazon Tony trying to make us pay for his Borderlands tattoo.

Whoa, I glazed over and read a few of his posts and it was actually really funny, lol! Did he ever reveal that one game that made him so sick to have on his profile? I stopped after a few pages. I mean, I like trying to keep my profiles clean too, but it's not the end of the world if something questionable makes its way onto my profile. It's just kind of inevitable with network gaming.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Whoa, I glazed over and read a few of his posts and it was actually really funny, lol! Did he ever reveal that one game that made him so sick to have on his profile? I stopped after a few pages. I mean, I like trying to keep my profiles clean too, but it's not the end of the world if something questionable makes its way onto my profile. It's just kind of inevitable with network gaming.

Nope, he never did.

HolyBaikal if you're still reading this you can still tell it to me and I won't gossip that shit around.

Anyone got a spare steam key for bioshock 1 just finished Infinate recently and had the urge to play the 1st one since I never played it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom