• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

oipic

Just finished BioShock Infinite - what a wonderful gaming creation it is. Tremendous. I played through slowly, trying to absorb as much story and 'world' as possible, to savour it, but I'd still welcome more. Bring on the DLC.

Not sure what to play next... that's a tough act to follow.

Anyway, if anyone still has this backlogged for some reason, I heartily suggest rectifying that situation pronto. Do not delay!

dreamfall

One typically has garbage removed from their house.

Aha, I take it most here didn't enjoy it?!

I couldn't get into it unless playing with friends. The mission structure is so lazy- go there, kill this, collect this. Some 30 hours later (although I enjoyed the shooting mechanics & special abilities), if I wasn't playing with someone I was going slightly OCD with trying to tackle objectives that didn't feel unique.

Gave up. Maybe revisit it- maybe just burnt out from BL1.

Megasoum

Banned
Wow I'm reading through the dude's posts... it's huh....something.

My guess? The game is Bioshock Infinite. He talks about baptism, religion and the bible in a couple of his posts, wouldn't surprise me that he's the guy that asked Steam to refund is Infinite because he was offended by the baptism scene.

FloatOn

Just finished BioShock Infinite - what a wonderful gaming creation it is. Tremendous. I played through slowly, trying to absorb as much story and 'world' as possible, to savour it, but I'd still welcome more. Bring on the DLC.

Not sure what to play next... that's a tough act to follow.

Anyway, if anyone still has this backlogged for some reason, I heartily suggest rectifying that situation pronto. Do not delay!

Glad you liked it. One of the coolest stories in video games I think. I've been watching this show called Fringe lately and it has an episode titled "Peter" that has a striking number of similarities.

- Zeppelin in New York

- Alternate universe movie billboards

- Amputation via portal to alternate universe

to name a few.

Megasoum

Banned
LMAO at Salsashark in the other thread replying to the OCD guy.

dont tell me what to do sir

I will find your account and I will gift you the prohibited game

im gonna fuck your OCD from the inside out, only way to fix it

just wait till I find your house and sligthly move around your retail boxes

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Aha, I take it most here didn't enjoy it?!

I couldn't get into it unless playing with friends. The mission structure is so lazy- go there, kill this, collect this. Some 30 hours later (although I enjoyed the shooting mechanics & special abilities), if I wasn't playing with someone I was going slightly OCD with trying to tackle objectives that didn't feel unique.

Gave up. Maybe revisit it- maybe just burnt out from BL1.

I'll be a little fairer to the game than I usually am here: opinions on the game mostly vary between two extremes. Either it clicked with people in some way -- I've actually seen people even compliment the writing, of all things -- or it really, really didn't click.

I honestly haven't seen too many people on the fence about the game.

For me, it failed on basically every level. It isn't even good at what it was trying to be.

dreamfall

I'll be a little fairer to the game than I usually am here: opinions on the game mostly vary between two extremes. Either it clicked with people in some way -- I've actually seen people even compliment the writing, of all things -- or it really, really didn't click.

For me, it failed on basically every level. It isn't even good at what it was trying to be.

Interesting!

I thought some of the dialogue (played up to Wildlife Preservation) was absolutely hilarious. And the characterization of Jack was pretty awesome regarding the depiction of a really sinister villain- I just couldn't justify spending more time slogging through. I'm not sure, but even the loot drops felt less fantastic (although the satisfaction of finding big Loot chests, through some clever platform exploration was rad!). Hub areas were pretty awesome to navigate in, but they felt a little deserted.

One day I'll go back!

FloatOn

It was basically homer simpson improving a car by adding "speed holes"

AzYmdFGCMAAbPV7.jpg:large

Let's talk about what we want from Borderlands 3.

Or not.

oipic

Glad you liked it. One of the coolest stories in video games I think. I've been watching this show called Fringe lately and it has an episode titled "Peter" that has a striking number of similarities.

Yes! For sure - my recollection of the show (which I love(d) dearly), and that episode in particular, is a little hazy, so thank you for filling in the blanks. My mind, swimming with post-game thoughts, had made some effort to align and compare the two, so it's uncanny that you would mention it, RE. :)

Makes you wonder whether Fringe would've made a strong basis for a game spin-off or something...

Almost reluctant to start something/anything else now, just to bask longer in the post-Infinite afterglow.

FloatOn

Yes! For sure - my recollection of the show (which I love(d) dearly), and that episode in particular, is a little hazy, so thank you for filling in the blanks. My mind, swimming with post-game thoughts, had made some effort to align and compare the two, so it's uncanny that you would mention it, RE. :)

Makes you wonder whether Fringe would've made a strong basis for a game spin-off or something...

Almost reluctant to start something/anything else now, just to bask longer in the post-Infinite afterglow.

Just do what I did and (re)watch movies with Bioshock Infinite-esque subject matter:

Groundhogs Day
Timecrimes
Primer
12 Monkeys
Triangle

it's a shame the gameplay itself was kind of a letdown though...

If you are having problems with Pinball FX2 going at lightning speed, I think it may be related to graphics driver settings. Try setting vsync to On and limiting fps to 60 at the driver level in a custom profile. You can also turn on texture filtering here, as the game settings don't offer it.

As far as the physics go, engine-wise they are accurate. However, flippers are generally tuned to be stronger than normal, and flipper elasticity and slingshot strength are weaker than normal. As a result, flipper shots will make the ball move faster (and the optional ball trails add to the perception of speed), the ball is easier to trap on flippers, and slingshots never send your ball into the outlanes.

To use portrait orientation, set the monitor to portrait in Windows and then run the game.

We may do a free table at some point, and we plan to add various features to support virtual pincabs as well.

Having played with the demo, the Steam version of Pinball FX 2 is pretty much a straight port of the Windows 8 version minus five of the tables (Sorcerer's Lair, Epic Quest, Earth Defense, Excalibur and the free Mars table) and with Steamworks instead of Windows 8works.

Honestly? Not sure which format to rebuild my Pinball FX collection, either Steam (due to not being locked into one operating system) or PSN (due to not being locked into one format). I'll almost certainly wait for a sale in either case.

I was just playing Arkham City with the latest AMD drivers and it runs a lot better for me.

It doesn't stutter that much when I'm gliding through the City now.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I was just playing Arkham City with the latest AMD drivers and it runs a lot better for me.

It doesn't stutter that much when I'm gliding through the City now.

It's impossible that AMD drivers improved anything. I owned one of their cards once and it had teh worst drivers ever!!1!

Crayons

Banned
I just tried to get a quick match in NS2 after installing it for the first time. It was taking so long to load, I eventually lost interest and closed the game.

Is this just me or does this happen to everyone?

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I just tried to get a quick match in NS2 after installing it for the first time. It was taking so long to load, I eventually lost interest and closed the game.

Yes, the first boot takes an obscenely long time. IIRC it creates all of its shaders and shit at the first bootup. It shouldn't happen again after the first time you join. I was able to avoid doing this to a server of dudes by loading up freeroam mode or something.

fleck0

It happens to everyone, the first time you load NS2 after an install it takes extra long to build libraries or something.

Just do what I did and (re)watch movies with Bioshock Infinite-esque subject matter:

Groundhogs Day
Timecrimes
Primer
12 Monkeys
Triangle

it's a shame the gameplay itself was kind of a letdown though...

Just watched the bolded one today and my mind is now full of fuck. Very cool sci-fi flick. Needs about 17 more viewings though

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Question. Some games found their way into my library that I don't wish to see on my list. I believe it's Block Ops 2, some Sanctum game, and a Marvel title. It says that they are free weekend games or some shit like that, but I have no interest in playing them nor do I want them on my Steam library. Will these games disappear after the free days expire? Also, was there some option I had selected where these automatically downloaded/appeared in my library that I can disable? Sorry if this question sounds odd, but I just recently got into Steam/PC gaming.
Sorry man, the only way forward now is making a new Steam account. And nuking your GAF one in the process.

Yes, the first boot takes an obscenely long time. IIRC it creates all of its shaders and shit at the first bootup. It shouldn't happen again after the first time you join. I was able to avoid doing this to a server of dudes by loading up freeroam mode or something.

Yep, every boot after the first one has been super quick. Joining a server is a bit long, about on par with TF2.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
One typically has garbage removed from their house.
BOOOOOOOM.

"Make a new account" is my favourite thing.
It's my favorite GAF meme, yes.

How to fix any Steam problem in 3 Steps:

Step 1. "Are you in the Beta?"
Step 2. Delete the ClientRegistry.blob
Step 3. Make a New Account
You should swap steps 1 and 2. Dear ClientRegistry.blob is older than the getting out of beta suggestions, I think.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Just watched the bolded one today and my mind is now full of fuck. Very cool sci-fi flick. Needs about 17 more viewings though

Carruth's latest film, Upstream Color, is out now. It's not sc-fi and is a more straightforward affair, but it's still about as strange as you might expect. Primer is the better film, I'd say, but nonetheless UC is worth a watch if you enjoyed his style.

JaseC

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Offhand I would have said you're running out of vram, but somehow that seems unlikely.

Blizzard

Banned
I've been told by people who probably know a lot more than me about UE3 that UE3 streaming doesn't/doesn't have to cause stuttering, but I'm not sure I'm convinced.

I like UE3 but it has its problems.

amnesiac

I just installed Steam for Windows via Bootcamp on my Mac and now I need a game to play. I'm thinking of Half-Life. Anything better?

Blizzard

Banned
I just installed Steam for Windows via Bootcamp on my Mac and now I need a game to play. I'm thinking of Half-Life. Anything better?
That's a really big question -- what genre of games do you like? Do you want us to suggest something you own, or something to buy?

amnesiac

That's a really big question -- what genre of games do you like? Do you want us to suggest something you own, or something to buy?

Something to buy. I like strategy and action games (Simcity 2000 and Sid Meier's Pirates). I don't own any games right now and want to buy something.

Blizzard

Banned
Something to buy. I like strategy and action games (Simcity 2000 and Sid Meier's Pirates). I don't own any games right now and want to buy something.
Hmm... I might suggest Prison Architect (http://store.steampowered.com/app/233450/?snr=1_7_15__13), but it's not even finished yet, and it's not super cheap. If you bought it you would get early access but there are probably bugs.

I think Rome: Total War may be regarded as a classic: http://store.steampowered.com/app/4760/

If you want something more citybuilding style, you might consider Civcity: Rome (http://store.steampowered.com/app/3980/?snr=1_7_15__13), or one of the Tropico games (http://store.steampowered.com/app/3980/?snr=1_7_15__13). Both Tropico 3 and Tropico 4 have demos, and Tropico 3 is only $10.

You might like the King's Bounty games too, but they're not very cheap.

Disclaimer, I can't guarantee whether any of these games might have problems in boot camp, and of course all of the above games will probably be cheaper in a summer sale. :)

Sajjaja

Where's SteveWinwood when you need him? He's CRAZY about strategy games. He (like many others) praise Galactic Civilizations 2.

Here's some convincing that got me to get it.
Galactic Civilizations Diary: Days 1-26
I haven't actually played it extensively though because its UI is a mess and lagged horribly, for me anyways.

Blizzard

Banned
Well having never played System Shock 2 and going through about 45 minutes of it, it seems pretty cool. I'm running forced AA with CCC (AMD 5850) which seems to work fine, and D3DOverrider for triple buffering since I feel like it slightly reduces mouse lag. So far I haven't seen any crashes or interface glitches, and 1680x1050 resolution works fine.

The atmosphere is already tense. I don't know if my heart will be able to take it. :p

The game overall very much seems to fit into the old school complex FPS category, with like 50 different keyboard control options, in addition to the big mouse GUI for managing inventory and looking at stuff. It seems like a pretty ambitious game in that sense.

Is there any way to change the current psi ability with a keyboard or mouse shortcut? Having to hit Tab, then click a tiny arrow seems like a very counter-intuitive mechanic especially considering the limited time that the abilities are active for. I would guess later on in the game you would want to use multiple psi abilities at once.

Socreges

Banned
Do you guys expect Company of Heroes to go on sale in the next few months?

Yes I know it was insanely cheap months ago. I didn't really know about CoH back then.

Well having never played System Shock 2 and going through about 45 minutes of it, it seems pretty cool. I'm running forced AA with CCC (AMD 5850) which seems to work fine, and D3DOverrider for triple buffering since I feel like it slightly reduces mouse lag. So far I haven't seen any crashes or interface glitches, and 1680x1050 resolution works fine.

The atmosphere is already tense. I don't know if my heart will be able to take it. :p

The game overall very much seems to fit into the old school complex FPS category, with like 50 different keyboard control options, in addition to the big mouse GUI for managing inventory and looking at stuff. It seems like a pretty ambitious game in that sense.

Is there any way to change the current psi ability with a keyboard or mouse shortcut? Having to hit Tab, then click a tiny arrow seems like a very counter-intuitive mechanic especially considering the limited time that the abilities are active for. I would guess later on in the game you would want to use multiple psi abilities at once.

Good stuff, I've been playing today for the first time in ages and the mods really make it look great.

For your psi powers? F1 to F5 will cycle through the powers in each tier. You can also hotkey a power by putting your mouse over it and pressing like shift+f1.

Unfortunately it is one of those games you need to spend some time on remapping controls and keys and such, but it is well worth the effort.

JaseC

K let me think on that. Thanks

I lowered the price to $7.50 as I hadn't noticed that Sega has reduced the price of the bundle. I'm about to head out the door, but if you are interested, PM me the link to your Steam Community profile and I'll add you when I can.

Caerith

Well, since you went to all the trouble of installing Windows on your Mac, why not Civilization V?

In all seriousness, wait for the Summer Sale if you can. There are a ton of great recommendations that often get great sales by then (like, King's Bounty often gets all bundled up for cheap, Tropico 4 is really quite good, etc). Go back a few pages (or wait a bit until Xelios reposts it) to see a list of everything currently on sale everywhere and see if any of those will tide you over until the next big sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom