• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluth54

header.jpg

http://steamdb.info/app/202352/#section_history

What could this be?

Maybe it's something related to the summer sale.

Nillansan

Tony mentioned that they're trying to get a pack of Manhunt 1&2 together, he says that they should be up later today.

Any update on this matter? I've never had the chance to play Manhunt 2 as the DD version was region locked to the US before it faded into obscurity :(

derExperte

Can't speak for the other games where they ran out of keys like Dishonored but I just now grabbed my Rage: Scorchers code from Gamersgate.

cripterion

Just bought Trials Evolutions cause it seemed fun having watched Youtube vids.

What a mess, first launching the game, it won't load because of that Uplay crap. Then, I manage to log in and there is some severe framerate problems. Turns out the game doesn't handle at all SLI so you have to disable it in order to play. On top of that the online multiplayer is apparently quite wonky.

How is Steam promoting this clusterfuck of a game? I mean it even says "better and optimized for pc" on the Steam page!

Carruth's latest film, Upstream Color, is out now. It's not sc-fi and is a more straightforward affair, but it's still about as strange as you might expect. Primer is the better film, I'd say, but nonetheless UC is worth a watch if you enjoyed his style.

That's what I hear as well. Will defeinetely be checking it out, heard
fucked up
great things about UC

How is Steam promoting this clusterfuck of a game? Bought it on a whim cause it seemed fun having watched Youtube vids.
At least there is a demo. Tried it and the framerate was weird as hell. A lot of slowdowns and what felt like speedups (but maybe they just felt that way because of the slowdowns that occurred right before,)

Felt like playing a home made skateboard video.

cripterion

At least there is a demo. Tried it and the framerate was weird as hell. A lot of slowdowns and what felt like speedups (but maybe they just felt that way because of the slowdowns that occurred right before,)

Maybe they don't have SLI and have used Uplay before so they are familiar with it's shittiness and didn't expect anything more?

Well ok... But it's quite amazing for an XBLA game to slowdown to a crawl on modern hardware and promoting the game as optimized for pc lol.
I guess I shouldn't have bought it on a whim, but it seemed really fun.

derExperte

Felt like playing a home made skateboard video.

It was bad when I activated advanced lighting, without that the framerate was stable most of the time. Still too janky for the price they're asking. A few Patches and 50% off please.

You can start reading here. Probably the saddest moment in Steam Thread history... well, after Amazon Tony trying to make us pay for his Borderlands tattoo.

I'm reading through it and it seems much less a case of him losing it because of the game, than GAFers being insensitive, unsupportive and trollish. I guess it's the old "if it doesn't bother me, it shouldn't bother you", I'm so fucking sick of this lack of empathy. That's even though the guy already said he does have ADHD, not exactly something he can choose.

Though obviously not to that extent, I also wish there was a way to make games invisible on Steam. Several of the visualization options just throw all your games at you, no matter what folders you've created. In my case it's not a case of any single game being disgusting or anything, but the fact that I have so many stuff from bundles, etc. that I have no intention to play in my life, and waste screen state. When one's approaching 400 games on their accounts, THAT becomes a problem.

Edit: Perfect example, see above. Is it that hard to, if you have nothing helpful to say, simply don't say anything at all?

Edit2: That didn't end well, but again, I'm guessing having people relate to any extent or at least respect him rather than being trolled into saying what game it was (which, I'll admit, I'm dead curious about too), had no small part in pushing him over the edge. I hope the ban is temporary, at least.

I'm reading through it and it seems much less a case of him losing it because of the game, than GAFers being incredibly insensitive, unsupportive and trollish. I guess it's the old "if it doesn't bother me, it shouldn't bother you", I'm so fucking sick of this lack of empathy. That's even though the guy already said he does have ADHD, not exactly something he can choose.

You are taking that a bit out of context. Be aware that after all that, he also made a new thread about it and kept on for ages after numerous sensible replies to him like...

Though obviously not to that extent, I also wish there was a way to make games invisible on Steam. Several of the visualization options just throw all your games at you, no matter what folders you've created. In my case it's not a case of any single game being disgusting or anything, but the fact that I have so many stuff from bundles, etc. that I have no intention to play in my life, and waste screen state. When one's approaching 400 games on their accounts, THAT becomes a problem.

... this one. Nobody really argues with that, but keep in mind there is zero we can do about it beyond the simple reply of "email support".

Zia

I'm reading through it and it seems much less a case of him losing it because of the game, than GAFers being insensitive, unsupportive and trollish. I guess it's the old "if it doesn't bother me, it shouldn't bother you", I'm so fucking sick of this lack of empathy. That's even though the guy already said he does have ADHD, not exactly something he can choose.

Edit: Perfect example, see above. Is it that hard to, if you have nothing helpful to say, simply don't say anything at all?

I wasn't actively involved but followed along with the previous conversation, and it was uncomfortably neurotic. There's a difference between empathy and indulgence.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
You are taking that a bit out of context. Be aware that after all that, he also made a new thread about it and kept on for ages after numerous replies to him like...

... this one. Nobody really argues with that, but keep in mind there is zero we can do about it beyond the simple reply of "email support".

The thing is folk were telling him to calm down and that after emailing Steam support he would get it removed eventually if he would just wait and be patient. It's obvious it was bothering him and that's fine (who am I to tell someone what they should find offensive) but all he had to do was wait and was going incredibly over the top about it. Going on and on and on about it wouldn't have it removed it any faster. I do genuinely hope he got it removed so he'd be satisfied and not have to ditch his Steam account. I must admit I'm still really curious which game drove him to that reaction.

1-D_FTW

Edit2: That didn't end well, but again, I'm guessing having people relate to any extent or at least respect him rather than being trolled into saying what game it was (which, I'll admit, I'm dead curious about too), had no small part in pushing him over the edge. I hope the ban is temporary, at least.

This thread embraces all kinds of eccentricities. It's the attention whorish way that rubbed people wrongly. So I don't know why you're blaming people for responding. Pretty sure most even responded in good faith in the beginning, then quickly morphed to annoyed when it became clear it was just "look at me."

Tomodachi

This thread embraces all kinds of eccentricities. It's the attention whorish way that rubbed people wrongly. So I don't know why you're blaming people for responding. Pretty sure most even responded in good faith in the beginning, then quickly morphed to annoyed when it became clear it was just "look at me."

I remember it going on for days too. Aww, good times.

Chronoja

For what it's worth in the previous situation I recognized the persons desire and ended up supporting them. That's besides the point though. While I agree there should probably be functionality to remove games from your account, I don't think it should exist strictly for these kind of reasons. Like I said before we should use moments like this to contemplate features that Steam should have but doesn't already, see game removal, dlc management etc. etc.

If you are approaching 400+ games with little to no intention of playing most of them then you are practically arguing about a self inflicted wound. Stop buying games, no matter how cheap if they don't appeal to you *at all*. The concept of having a "disgusting list of games" is something you build yourself, through choices you make. It is a consequence to your actions, the problem is people can't understand that and instead blame steam or something else that they can't erase their own bad decisions. Most bundles give their keys out separately, what's stopping people from giving away / trading games they don't want.

If actual O.C.D. plays a part then that changes things dramatically because the person is not in full control of their impulses or desires but I imagine this isn't a factor in most cases.

At the end of the day, it's all perspective. If people can't understand why some people want to remove games from their list, why can the same people not understand how absurd it is to grumble over a few words in a list?

PaulLFC

Is the DLC worth it for Sniper Elite V2? I haven't bought it yet but the base game is £6 with the voucher at GMG.

Or for £8.79 I can get the game and also:

Kill Hitler DLC
St Pierre DLC
Landwehr Canal DLC
Neudorf Outpost DLC

Seems worth it for less than £3 extra, but if all the DLC missions are awful for some reason then I'd probably just get the base game.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Kill Hitler is amusing for obvious reasons and quite pretty.

Neudorf and Landwehr are neat ideas with solid execution. They are both more open than the main game missions which is refreshing, but the stealth mechanics begin to really really fall apart at that scale.

St. Pierre was bland an uninspired.

It's not a bad set and if you enjoy the main game, you will enjoy the DLC.

PaulLFC

Kill Hitler is amusing for obvious reasons and quite pretty.

Neudorf and Landwehr are neat ideas with solid execution. They are both more open than the main game missions which is refreshing, but the stealth mechanics begin to really really fall apart at that scale.

St. Pierre was bland an uninspired.

It's not a bad set and if you enjoy the main game, you will enjoy the DLC.
Thanks for the impressions, I think I'll go for the complete pack, considering the entire set of DLC is less than £3 extra.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Removing games from your Steam account is like getting plastic surgery to reclaim your virginity.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Removing games from your Steam account is like getting plastic surgery to reclaim your virginity.

I wouldn't mind removing a couple games from my list that won't run on my computer, they crash when I launch them. Such as, Red Faction 2 and Towns.

Anyone who bought Burnout Paradise able to play it? I bought it on Thursday and it still wont launch saying it needs a cd key does it usually take this long?

ziadoz

Neo Member
It looks like GamersGate have restocked their Bethesda serial keys. I just got my Dishonored serial (no email notification though).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom