• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mairu

bFiFEUI.jpg

XEL PLS

damn. that's a lot

I hadn't played System Shock 2 in 10 years or so and the game is still brilliant!

It was so ahead of its time, and now I'm sad again that it bombed (it originally had sold less than 60000 copies I think, what a shame).

They really do. If feels like a cheap shareware demo from the 90's with everything locked behind a time limited paywall. And the condescension in the phrase "Congratulations you've reached the time limit on this table" is somewhat annoying.

Making it seem like its f2p is really deceiving since little to none of it is actually free. Should read "this game actually costs at least £6.99, disregarding sales"

If they made the free table the pinball game that came with Windows XP, that would be good enough for me. It is Microsoft game studios after all.

A free table is coming.

We've had the same sales model for years on every platform. We get flack for the lack of a price, but the intent of that is not to trick people into downloading it, but to allow them to buy whatever tables they want instead of being forced to buy a select set as part of a "base" game.

As far as condescension goes, the message was probably written by a Hungarian who doesn't even know what "condescending" means. The demo limits are annoying, I know, but since pinball is such an impulse play/buy sort of game where each session is short and self-contained, demos actually hurt our sales significantly, and the longer the demo, the more it hurts. We're talking 50%+ drops here. (Yes, the smart-ass answer is that if the game were better, demos wouldn't do that, but the quality of the tables isn't in dispute at this point, so that's not actually the case.)

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
What Xeli doesn't know is that one of those DLCs contains something so sinister, so heinous that once he discovers it he will stop at nothing to eradicate his steam account from the face of the earth because it disgusts him so.

His days are numbered, and ol' Lucifer rips a page off of a game-a-day calender as he waits.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
xelios you just bought 112 pieces of cheap small DLC on sale ARE YOU A BILLIONAIRE!!??

Shhh you're ruining the illusion. Also it's not really worth waiting for dollar dlc to maybe or maybe not go on sale (not, in the case of the last Tomb Raider sale or this Black Ops sale).

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
That dlc list ain't nothing, you all should have seen xelios in the golden days of the Puzzle & Dragons thread haha.

Caerith

Shhh you're ruining the illusion. Also it's not really worth waiting for dollar dlc to maybe or maybe not go on sale (not, in the case of the last Tomb Raider sale or this Black Ops sale).
While you've got a point that the discount on dollar DLC is not really going to add up to much, is it "really worth" even getting most of this DLC?

YMMV, but it is a shame that Eidos used the wrong homonym for the Tomb Raider "Guerilla Skin" outfit.

derExperte

Always thought only weirdos use Opera.

Once upon a time Opera was the best browser available. And I still like it way more than any of the others but it has problems nowadays. Many problems actually, so I hope the engine change helps to bring them back on track.

FYC

Banned
Holy shit, I just finished the first Dark Forces and it's one of the best FPS games I have ever played.

Like, I would seriously put it up there with DOOM 1 & 2 / Duke Nukem 3D. Underrated as fuck yo. If you like old school shooters and / or Star Wars, I can't recommend it enough.

Now to begin the Jedi Knight trilogy. Weeeeee.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit, I just finished the first Dark Forces and it's one of the best FPS games I have ever played.

Like, I would seriously put it up there with DOOM 1 & 2 / Duke Nukem 3D. Underrated as fuck yo. If you like old school shooters and / or Star Wars, I can't recommend it enough.

Now to begin the Jedi Knight trilogy. Weeeeee.
It's a good game, but confusing as hell. I got lost at a certain level and never finished it.

xJavonta

Banned
yeah, it's most certainly not running. I've never seen this error before either.

I mean I have no problem not playing the game as it was only 5 dollars and I have and haven't played the probably better blood money. I just wanted to go backwards in my history lesson of the hitman franchise.

any help would be appreciated though. I'm going to try verify the game integrity and see if that helps.

I had that problem too. I restarted Steam and it worked again.

Just finished it. Being the only Hitman game I've ever played, I really enjoyed it.

Yeah, people seem to forget about it when talking about influential FPS's from that era, but for me it was absolutely vital. Dark Troopers scared the shit out of me as a kid. I remember devising a plan of running away from then while placing proximity mines for the final battle lol.

I've just bought a new laptop and can finally take advantage of pc games and Steam. Can any recommend some good point and click adventures? Maybe something a little different graphics design wise? I've played The Walking Dead on Xbox as that seems to be a common recommendation from people around the net :) Thanks.

Corsick

Apologies if this is the wrong place, but the discussion here about steam games and such is a lot more lively than PES threads. I was wondering if buying PES 2013 on steam was good value if I specifically wanted the customization options that only the PC version could offer. I want to do some custom leagues and teams, so downloading things people have created would be really cool with some of the editing you could do. Should I wait for PES 2014 (which should be a big step up graphically with the new engine) or just buy this version now? I believe the PC version comes out later so I'd have to wait a while anyways.

I will probably be playing master league and become a legend the most, if that helps at all. Thanks for any responses.

I've just bought a new laptop and can finally take advantage of pc games and Steam. Can any recommend some good point and click adventures? Maybe something a little different graphics design wise? I've played The Walking Dead on Xbox as that seems to be a common recommendation from people around the net :) Thanks.
The longest journey and Dreamfall.

FYC

Banned

Sam and Max Collection

Monkey Island 1, 2 and Tales of Monkey Island - The first two Monkey Islands are essential, some of the best games of all time. If you like them, you might as well play the Telltale ones(Tales of). Of course, you should make an attempt to find a copy of the third Monkey Island, The Curse of Monkey Island, even though it's not on Steam. It's my personal favorite... The fourth one, Escape From Monkey Island, is not really worth going out of your way for unless you become a HUGE fan. Whatever you do, don't get the PS2 version of EFMI.

Back To The Future

Strongbad's Cool Game For Attractive People

Gemini Rue

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Edit: What is Xelios and Chase gonna do when Gabe decides to remove DLC from our game total on our profile?

Incidentally, I was going to do much the same thing earlier in the year, but before pulling the trigger I decided to look up some of the games on Steamprices and discovered that much of the cheap DLC saw discounts of at least (though mostly) 50% during sale periods. That in itself isn't such a big deal, of course, but the potential savings add up when you're looking at dozens upon dozens of items.

I'm actually surprised that the Steam Community profile count on the desktop website hasn't been "fixed"; the mobile version lists the actual total. Either Valve is going to eventually remove fluff items from the total a la the mobile site or "games" will be changed to something more broad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom