• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Does anyone know what Proteus was programmed/created in?

KopiLua and OpenGL, judging from the DLLs in the installation directory. Seems to utilise the Tao Framework for cross-platform development purposes.

nexen

Is this the plane combat game that starts with an on-rails sequence in a mounted machinegun? Because I remember seeing that screenshot on my Steam friends activity feed, and it looked ridiculous.

That is the one. It is like that all the time too - always over the top and they constantly switch up the controls and camera to make it more ACTION, WOOO!

I hate that game.

edit: Bought that Groupee bundle so hard I broke my mouse. Drakensang is legit. Drakensang 2 is better, but 1 is pretty damned good.

Deques

First BM8 bonus soon to be unlocked :)

Edit: And now its unlocked

Edit 2: Next bonus is PATRICIAN IV - RISE OF A DYNASTY DLC

Blablurn

Resident Evil Revelations demo is up

bosh-celebrate-2.gif

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Not really. But I do remember Stallion Free was the one who basically asked everyone to "get the fuck the steam thread" after sales last year.

The guy need to tone down his ego a notch.
I don't see the correlation between being tired of reading lists of purchased games and having a huge ego.

And your quote reminds me of the time I accidentally my whole Steam library.

Steam thread is still about buying games, not promoting ego.

I thought the Steam thread was about buying games and not playing them?

Anyway, cool to see Freesia in the bundle. And all you lot go and vote for our stuff on Greenlight! :p

But I'm seeking spiritual help: did anyone buy the Anomaly 2 bundle? I LOVED the original so I'm tempted about the second but I keep hearing mixed opinions.

I'm between that and Prime World Defenders because someone insisted me so much on that.

Any advise that isn't get neither/get both? Thanks in advance.

Oh, wait, last one. I heard Mortal Kombat may be coming very soon to Steam. Is this true? I bloody hope so!

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The port seems really solid. The animation at 60 looks really nice. AA is limited to a bunch of FXAA settings, but the highest looked decent. FOV is crazy low though.

For a 3DS port, it's pretty damn cool.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
When I click download demo for Revelations I get "Scanning for Steam games updates...".

Who do I kill about this?

edit: oh i see it's not just this demo, my Steam is entirely fucked.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
The port seems really solid. The animation at 60 looks really nice. AA is limited to a bunch of FXAA settings, but the highest looked decent. FOV is crazy low though.

Do you get weird hitching when changing rooms?

It hitches a buncha, but then it's 100% smooth sailing afterwards. Really strange.

The facial animations are GARBAGE, jesus fucking christ. Everything else seems ok so far.

I'm getting mad classic Resident Evil vibes from it. I think I'll wait for a sale though. However, it is a Capcom game.... hmm...

Blizzard

Banned
We're like the cult of personalities here since it's not like any of us actually play Steam games.

Well I mean, I did play a little Monaco and that was cool. And some people like Terraria so people should probably play that!

Nillansan

Sounds good. How does the aiming feel? A few people are complaining about it in the dedicated thread.

Getting kind of a G.Rev vibe off of Ether Vapor. Downloading demo to give it a run; not enough good shmups on Steam. Is Cave just afraid of making money?

Try Satazius if you didn't, it's far more old school but has a better recover upon death. Ether Vapor is more inspired by Thunder Force according to the devs but I can get where the G.Rev vibes come from, heh.

CAVE is in a pretty complicated situation... From what I heard they closed their international and domestic shops, that kind of stuff is never a good sign =/ Last year a lot of users asked and insisted on bringing the games to PC but it ended up in nothing and Greenlight came into play. I don't want to imagine CAVE having to go through GL though... That would break my heart.

cicero

Not really. But I do remember Stallion Free was the one who basically asked everyone to "get the fuck off the steam thread" after sales last year.

The guy need to tone down his ego a notch.
Pot. Kettle. Black.

Even assuming his comments were entirely reducible down to "get the fuck off the steam thread" to begin with. Which I really don't believe they were. Why you picked the middle of May to finally get this huge Holiday sale burden off of your chest is beyond me though.

Try Satazius if you didn't, it's far more old school but has a better recover upon death. Ether Vapor is more inspired by Thunder Force according to the devs but I can get where the G.Rev vibes come from, heh.

CAVE is in a pretty complicated situation... From what I heard they closed their international and domestic shops, that kind of stuff is never a good sign =/ Last year a lot of users asked and insisted on bringing the games to PC but it ended up in nothing and Greenlight came into play. I don't want to imagine CAVE having to go through GL though... That would break my heart.

Satazius seems like fun, I'll grab it as well come pay day. It largely just makes me sad that Gradius V never made it off of PS2 though.

nexen

Satazius is very good. I had a lot of fun with that game, even though I suck at it.

Satazius seems like fun, I'll grab it as well come pay day. It largely just makes me sad that Gradius V never made it off of PS2 though.

Oh man, I would love to get any Gradius, Raiden, or R-Type on Steam.

Cave is just too bullet-hell and, well, aggressively Japanese for my tastes.

Satazius is very good. I had a lot of fun with that game, even though I suck at it.

Oh man, I would love to get any Gradius, Raiden, or R-Type on Steam.

Cave is just too bullet-hell and, well, aggressively Japanese for my tastes.

I was going to recommend the eXceed games after that but maybe now I won't :p They are aggressively Japanese although not as heavy in the bullet hell department. (For example, eXceed 2nd has dynamic rank and a polarity switching mechanic.)

The closer you'll get to more traditional mechanics atm is with the Alltynex games (as the devs defined them, they are more about flashy machine destruction rather than bullet vomit and stuff like that), although they are on Greenlight...

nexen

I was going to recommend the eXceed games after that but maybe now I won't :p They are aggressively Japanese although not as heavy in the bullet hell department. (For example, eXceed 2nd has dynamic rank and a polarity switching mechanic.)

The closer you'll get to more traditional mechanics atm is with the Alltynex games (as the devs defined them, they are more about flashy machine destruction rather than bullet vomit and stuff like that), although they are on Greenlight...

Yeah, I'm old skool. I just like to fly spaceships, dodge some bullets by the skin of my teeth, and blow lots of stuff up. I find that crazy mechanics or screen-filling bullet patterns get in the way of my enjoyment of a shmup. I hope those Alltynex games make it on Steam.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Currently cleaning up my desktop and found a Dawn Of War GOTY key I have spare. Should work ok, I already had it and pretty certain I never gave it to anyone so if it works for anyone let us know :)

haha, that bad eh? I got it for 5 bucks and I've never played a hitman game before. I have blood money but I kind of want to go backwards in the hitman game chronology to appreciate with fresh eyes how stupid the series has become (apparently).
Bad is an exageration. I knew from some impressions what i needed to do aproaching the game. First thing is, you play on expert or above. You get 1 check point mid level, instincts is not overpowered and doesnt regenerate. Didn't saw any problems with disguises, in past Hitman games you were almost invicible with them... here they work as expected, that is, not too good when it makes sense.

Level design for the few levels i've played did take a dive. But no one mentions how incredible polished the control scheme is and some new nice enhancements like cover system or the fake surrender. So same as many other things in life some advancement and some regresion.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Bad is an exageration. I knew from some impressions what i needed to do aproaching the game. First thing is, you play on expert or above so you can't even use instinct, which the whole game depends on?. You get 1 check point mid level and enemies respawn after reloading, that's not very nice, instincts is not overpowered and doesnt regenerate so if you run out of it, your stealth playthrough is pretty much screwed. Didn't saw any problems with disguises then you probably sneaked past everyone, which isn't what a Hitman game is about, in past Hitman games you were almost invicible with them some people say that was the case with Blood Money, even though I never felt it was that way... here they work as expected, that is, not too good when it makes sense it never makes sense then, as they never worked as I expected them to.

Level design for the few levels i've played did take a dive. But no one mentions how incredible polished the control scheme is which doesn't really matter in a stealth game, though I can't complain here and some new nice enhancements like cover system cool, so I can play this social stealth game as a straight-up shooter! (which I did, actually) or the fake surrender maybe I wasn't supposed to be discovered, I guess. So same as many other things in life some advancement and some regresion sadly IO advanced on the wrong things this time.
Those are my thoughts about it. I'm sure Derrick would be able to explain it much more clearly.

Currently cleaning up my desktop and found a Dawn Of War GOTY key I have spare. Should work ok, I already had it and pretty certain I never gave it to anyone so if it works for anyone let us know :)

...and my afternoon is booked. Much obliged my good man.

I'm a sucker for huge pauldrons. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom