• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 IV - Christmas in July is over, back to real life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

Yay we get a horde mode in Bioshock Infinite today.

Thanks everyone who ever made that garbage mode popular and viable to devs to exploit and shove into every game that doesn't need it.

And that is why buying a season pass is one of the worst things you can do with tour money.

...well one of the many reasons.

Grief.exe

I want to make Planescape Torment and GTA:SA DVD covers today.

If you guys find some high-res images for either, send them my way.

I'm really looking for the standard San Andreas box art, but without writing or logos on it.

What I do with my tour money is my business!

No! Listen!

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
How do season passes usually work? Are they sold until the very last piece of DLC is released?

In Bio Infinite's case, will I be able to buy the season pass on, say, the week before episode 2 of Burial at Sea is released (whenever that is)?

Addnan

Arkham City GOTY has had a mac version for a while on the Mac App Store. Could just be that coming over. Hopefully steamplay though

Xanathus

How do season passes usually work? Are they sold until the very last piece of DLC is released?

In Bio Infinite's case, will I be able to buy the season pass on, say, the week before episode 2 of Burial at Sea is released (whenever that is)?

In Borderlands 2's case, the season pass is still on sale potentially indefinitely. This made it pretty dumb to buy the pass unless you wanted to play the DLCs immediately as they came out, because the pass was discounted many times before the final DLC was in released which resulted in it being much cheaper to buy the pass after some of the DLCs were released.

Basically don't buy it until there's actually DLC released that's worth paying for and/or the pass is on sale.

Grief.exe

I'm trying to find some information on Arkham City Mac version.

I would assume that GFWL doesn't run natively on Mac, but looking for some confirmation.

Xanathus

Haha, apparently the Bioshock Infinite season pass had already been discounted to $14.54 on Nuuvem, which means people who bought it for full price paid extra for literally nothing.

In Borderlands 2's case, the season pass is still on sale potentially indefinitely. This made it pretty dumb to buy the pass unless you wanted to play the DLCs immediately as they came out, because the pass was discounted many times before the final DLC was in released which resulted in it being much cheaper to buy the pass after some of the DLCs were released.

Basically don't buy it until there's actually DLC released that's worth paying for and/or the pass is on sale.

Totally agree. I bought the season pass day 1 for BL2 and I've only played the normal campaign as all my friends have moved on already. In hindsight I probably would have only bothered with Tiny TIna's and saved 20 bucks.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I'm definitely at a loss for doing Half-Life 1 and 2 box arts.

How do you do one of the most iconic games of all time?

These images are pretty good

I know you want minimalist covers, but there's already this:

ij4p2UVKzqXZ.jpg

ibdHSbIR6mRG0X.jpg

I know they're technically not Half Life 2 boxes, but... they're pretty good...

Xanathus

Totally agree. I bought the season pass day 1 for BL2 and I've only played the normal campaign as all my friends have moved on already. In hindsight I probably would have only bothered with Tiny TIna's and saved 20 bucks.

I bought it day 1 too but that's only because I managed to get it for $15 due to UK pricing or something.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
They're generally sold indefinitely and eventually go on sale.

Thanks. Well then... there's absolutely no point in purchasing it now. I'll wait for BaS to be released or nab the pass during a sale, whatever comes first. I want to give horde mode a try but that can definitely wait.

Storm360

So is the removal of GFWL confirmed? or we are still speculating?

Not at all, Arkham City and Asylum are already in the mac app store, and the mac versions don't use GFWL, but all it means is Windows version would use it still and OSX version doesn't, same with Bioshock 2

I want to make Planescape Torment and GTA:SA DVD covers today.

If you guys find some high-res images for either, send them my way.

I'm really looking for the standard San Andreas box art, but without writing or logos on it.

I've seen you doing this for a while, but missed the reasons as to why. Just curious. Most of them look pretty sweet.

Haha, apparently the Bioshock Infinite season pass had already been discounted to $14.54 on Nuuvem, which means people who bought it for full price paid extra for literally nothing.

Hindsight : it's 20/20

fantomena

*Spencer walk on stage on GamesCom*
"Im proud to announce that on the release of the Xbox One will also be the last day of the [much hated] Games for WIndows LIVE service"
*Crowd goes crazy and clapps*
"Im also pleased to announce that the Halo trilogy will be released in november on Steam with Steamworks integration. Dedicated servers. Steam workshop, mod support, trading cards, everything the PC gamer loves will be implemented"
*Crowd goes even more crazy, NeoGaf crashes*
"And before I walk off stage, Im also pleased to announce that the Gears of War trilogy, Rise of Nations, Age of Mythology and the Crackdown franchise will also be released on Steam with Steamworks during the next couple of months."
* Crowd explodes, NeoGAF implodes, Scorsese kisses Phil, Xelios runs naked through NYC for happiness and Grief cries*
*Phil walks off stage*

BELIEVE!

Fireblend

Banned
*Spences walk on stage at GamesCon*
"Im proud to announce that on the release of the Xbox One will laso be the last day of the [much hated] Games for WIndows LIVE service"
*Crows goes crazy and clapps*
"Im also pleased to announce that the Halo trilogy will be released in november on Steam with Steamworks integration. Dedicated servers. Steam workshop, mod support, trading cards, everything the PC gamer loves will be implemented"
*Crowd goes even more crazy, NeoGaf crashes*
"And before I walk off stage, Im also pleased to announce that the Gears of War trilogy, Rise of Nations, Age of Mythology and the Crackdown franchise will also be released on Steam with Steamworks during the next couple of months."
* Crowd explodes, NeoGAF implodes, Scorsese kisses Phil, Xelios runs naked through NYC for happiness and Grief cries*
*Phil walks off stage*

BELIEVE!

Might as well hope for MS to forfeit all future exclusives and aim/push publishers for simultaneous Steam releases of all XBONE games.

Grief.exe

Wouldn't it be amazing of the Mac version of both games was 100% Steamworks only and the Windows versions remained exactly the same???

Eternal speculation.

So Mac would have the definitive version then. Mac owners are always the butt of jokes, but now they are the 'master race.'

I was going to say eternal speculation as well.

Looks like they are just reducing their profit margin rather than a full-blown discounted item.

I know you want minimalist covers, but there's already this:

I know they're technically not Half Life 2 boxes, but... they're pretty good...

I already found the perfect image for a minimalistic HL2 cover.

I need ideas for HL1 though.

masterkajo

Just found out about the Bioshock Infinite DLCs. The first one I don't get. The combat in BioInf was though not bad the weakest part, IMO. So to base a whole DLC around just combat is Pinnacle Station all over again.

Anyway, the Burial at Sea two part DLC looks phenomenal. I didn't even know that I wanted this, but I do now. Give it to me. Hope the Season Pass gets a good discount before the DLC hits (or I will have to ask some fellow Brazilian gaf fellow to help me out).

Grief.exe

I've seen you doing this for a while, but missed the reasons as to why. Just curious. Most of them look pretty sweet.

I just have all of my games from classic consoles on a shelf, but my favorites from PC are not represented.

Kind of lame to have my favorite platform hidden away.

But, mostly, I am really enjoying making these covers for some reason.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Just found out about the Bioshock Infinite DLCs. The first one I don't get. The combat in BioInf was though not bad the weakest part, IMO. So to base a whole DLC around just combat is Pinnacle Station all over again.

Anyway, the Burial at Sea two part DLC looks phenomenal. I didn't even know that I wanted this, but I do now. Give it to me. Hope the Season Pass gets a good discount before the DLC hits (or I will have to ask some fellow Brazilian gaf fellow to help me out).

I have a feeling that the "horde mode" DLC was pumped out quickly in attempt to assuage the many loud, cranky voices that were complaining about there being no DLC in sight despite it being months since the Season Pass went on sale. You'll notice that there's no release date attached to the story DLC.

Grief.exe

I have a feeling that the "horde mode" DLC was pumped out quickly in attempt to assuage the many loud, cranky voices that were complaining about there being no DLC in sight despite it being months since the Season Pass went on sale. You'll notice that there's no release date attached to the story DLC.

The irony is killing me. Can't please everyone on the internet I guess.

Knurek

But at least I'll have my games -- that I don't intend to play -- to comfort me. :p

Never change.

//Edit:

Semi serious question - anything in the Steam licence about account inheritance? What if I want to pass on my (unplayed as well) games to my offspring?

//Edit 2:

Also, can anyone confirm whether this: http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-DSF/driver-san-francisco is Steam or uPlay? Guessing the latter, but I'd really like to have the game at this price. :)

It sounds like the 'vocal minority' from the reception of the game went with "The combat is causing a disconnect from the story!!!". So instead of tweaking the combat, they just through out the story for this DLC, which no one asked for.

ArjanN

Another 10 new achievements for Super House of Dead Ninjas.

New playable character, new difficulty mode, boss rush etc.

Not live yet.

Unlikely, given the time-frame. DLC for most games has been stuff like this and MP maps/guns etc. I'm glad we are getting actual single-player story content.

It sounds like the 'vocal minority' from the reception of the game went with "The combat is causing a disconnect from the story!!!". So instead of tweaking the combat, they just through out the story for this DLC, which no one asked for.

Uh, no, more likely because like multiplayer maps/guns and the usual stuff you see for DLC, it's something that's relatively cheap to make. Single player story content requires a ton more resources.

JaseC

]//Edit:

Semi serious question - anything in the Steam licence about account inheritance? What if I want to pass on my (unplayed as well) games to my offspring?

Officially, it's against the SSA to transfer ownership of your account in any way:

When you complete Steam’s registration process, you create a Steam account ("Account"). Your Account may also include billing information you provide to Valve for the purchase of Subscriptions. You are solely responsible for all activity on your Account and for the security of your computer system. You may not reveal, share or otherwise allow others to use your password or Account. You agree that you are personally responsible for the use of your password and Account and for all of the communication and activity on Steam that results from use of your login name and password. You may not sell or charge others for the right to use your Account, or otherwise transfer your Account, nor may you sell, charge others for the right to use, or transfer any Subscriptions other than if and as expressly permitted by this Agreement (including any Subscription Terms or Rules of Use).

But practically speaking it'd just be a matter of changing the e-mail address to an easily-accessible account (if need be) and providing the password.

//Edit 2:

Also, can anyone confirm whether this: http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-DSF/driver-san-francisco is Steam or uPlay? Guessing the latter, but I'd really like to have the game at this price. :)

It's Uplay.

derExperte

uh oh. What is wrong with it?

It's butt-ugly (look at the screenshot section on Steam, hilarious) and full of bugs. Day 1 patch is incoming but no way they'll fix everything. Nobody should buy the game right now, play the two Drakensangs instead.

JaseC

Unlikely, given the time-frame. DLC for most games has been stuff like this and MP maps/guns etc. I'm glad we are getting actual single-player story content.

We don't know when development on the combat DLC began, though.

nexen

It's butt-ugly (look at the screenshot section on Steam, hilarious) and full of bugs. Day 1 patch is incoming but no way they'll fix everything. Nobody should buy the game right now, play the two Drakensangs instead.

This makes me sad. I am now sad. :(

Threads like this make me really happy I have left consoles behind http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=638948

$40 for a year of P2P internet? We could get 10 games out of that during a Steam sale.

I would assume that transitions over to Xbox One, but then you are at least $600 in the hole. Equivalent to a decade of PC games.
What a ripoff. Thanks to Amazon price matching, got a year Live subscription at Best Buy for 14.99 a few months ago

FACE

Banned
uh oh. What is wrong with it?

Taken from RPGCodex:

Problems with the gold version according to various German forums:

- no intro
- no battle sounds
- all weapon models looks like crossbows
- most NPCs look like skeletons
- trying to cast a spell gives the message "spell not implemented"
- snow textures are broken
- walking sounds are placeholders/unbearable to listen to

The release day patch was pushed out early on Saturday at 10 p.m. local time (at least they're dedicated!), but it doesn't fix most of these issues - only weapon models and walking sounds have been completely fixed. The game is still unplayable and crashes frequently with messages like this:
Failed executing javascript(Syntax Error: Mismatched closing token in expression):
function hasresponse(which){return(which==1)||getQuestState("schick_call')==2;) of Magistrat Thorwal[2]

Further current issues:

--button hotspots aren't centered on the actual buttons
- map turns black indoors, stays black when going outdoors (workaround available)
- Many NPCs have holes in their heads
- only one save game slot with fixed name
- save game (singular) randomly deletes itself
- heroes in-game don't look like they do in the editor
- you start with infinite money, which randomly resets to normal during gameplay
- random events and random battle on the overland map don't seem to work
- hard crash trying to enter Daspota

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Officially, it's against the SSA to transfer ownership of your account in any way:

But practically speaking it'd just be a matter of changing the e-mail address to an easily-accessible account (if need be) and providing the password.

We as a society need to find a proper way to both protect our privacies (don't want our relatives knowing all the sexually disturbing things we all do on our emails, for instance) and institute a kill switch to easily retrieve access to all our digital paraphernalia upon sudden death.

JaseC

It was essential $10 on GMG so I got it anyway. Hopefully they do something like Eador did, that game was near broken at launch but now it's arguable one of the best fantasy strategy games available.

That's good to hear. I pre-purchased the game as it was the only way to obtain a Steam version of Genesis, but in the lead-up to release I watched a bunch of gameplay videos and particularly adored the visual style, so I'll play it one day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom