• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 IV - Christmas in July is over, back to real life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fracas

#fuckonami
This is my first giveaway through ModBot. I don't participate in the thread that much, but read it quite a bit and am amazed at the generosity of some of our members. I wanted to go ahead and give something back to you guys. Made it a 24 hour raffle so that the most amount of people would get a chance to win.

Good luck!

Entering! Awesome giveaway!

Fireblend

Banned
Dunno if I'd call Bioshock Infinite my GOTY, but it's going to be my Metroidvania of the year for sure.

I haven't played Bioshock Infinite, I just wanted to say that.

With all this negative talk on Bioshock this morning, would anyone actually be interested in playing it? I've got one from the AMD promotion, and I already own the game. If there is genuine interest (and everyone doesn't already have it), I'll throw it on ModBot later.

Was there a lot of negative talk? Saw a few disgruntled people after the horde mode announcement, but everyone seemed excited for the story DLC.

DutchNeon

Neo Member
Waiting for Borderlands 2 to get a discount. Missed it during the Steam sales (I bought way too much games EXCEPT Borderlands 2) :(

nexen

This is my first giveaway through ModBot. I don't participate in the thread that much, but read it quite a bit and am amazed at the generosity of some of our members. I wanted to go ahead and give something back to you guys. Made it a 24 hour raffle so that the most amount of people would get a chance to win.

Good luck!

You the man.

Would you prefer Castleroid?

.... someone needs to mspaint this.

Zeknurn

Good luck!

The amount of entries received will no doubt break Modbot.

Good luck!

That's very generous of you man, thanks! I hope the person that wins it enjoys it, I'm planning to start it myself as soon as I finish Sleeping Dogs (which should be very soon).

Oh my GOD! The combat in Risen 2 is HORRENDOUS. It feels like they programmed it in MS PAINT. You have one attack button x, which is really slow and weak and one defend button, although the enemies attack pretty much constantly so its tough to get an attack off without dying. I have a sword and I am dying to small warthogs.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual

Good luck!

That's very generous of you!

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Oh my GOD! The combat in Risen 2 is HORRENDOUS. It feels like they programmed it in MS PAINT. You have one attack button x, which is really slow and weak and one defend button, although the enemies attack pretty much constantly so its tough to get an attack off without dying. I have a sword and I am dying to small warthogs.

Risen 2 is a disaster, it doesn't get any better when you level up either.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I think what a lot of people have a problem with is that basically any game that has a little bit of back tracking is instantly labeled a Metroidvania.

Inclusion in this genre is so broad it is basically a meaningless distinction. I can make the argument that Sonic CD is a Metroidvania, for example.

nexen

That sounds like something I'd need to see my doctor about.

You know you have a problem when those things have built their own castle.

I think what a lot of people have a problem with is that basically any game that has a little bit of back tracking is instantly labeled a Metroidvania.

Inclusion in this genre is so broad it is basically a meaningless distinction. I can make the argument that Sonic CD is a Metroidvania, for example.

1) Platformer
2) Heavy exploration element
3) Permanent powerups that open access to new areas
4) Backtracking

Those are what I think need to be there to call something a Metroidvania. Name is lame, sure, but I've never seen an alternative posited that was any better.

Fireblend

Banned
So what are the defining features of a metroidvania?

- It must be a 2D Sidescroller
- It must have some sort of inventory
- It must feature backtracking
- Non-linear stages are preferable

... is that it?

Man.. Warframe... I want to hate you because you are free-to-play... but I actually really dig you, totally janked art style and all. You're basically Mass Effect 3's multiplayer mode on crack cocaine and energy drinks.

This steam sale is going to last me through the new console launches, between Rogue Legacy, KR0, Gunpoint, Mark of the Ninja, Shadowrun Returns, and Warframe. That'll do Steam... that'll do.

XShagrath

That's very generous of you man, thanks! I hope the person that wins it enjoys it, I'm planning to start it myself as soon as I finish Sleeping Dogs (which should be very soon).
I loved Sleeping Dogs! Was super pissed that something got bugged and it didn't register my 100% completion, so I missed out on that achievement.

KarmaCow

... is that it?

I think the most important thing is that progression is gated through acquiring abilities rather than straight up keys.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

... is that it?
People call the Batman games metroidvanias and those don't really feature the first two points on your list.

... is that it?

Non-linearity (which includes "backtracking") should be way higher up the list. It's the single most important thing that modern entries seem to lack.

Inventories are optional. Is Metroid not a Metroidvania? Or does the -vania come from the RPG elements?

Grief.exe

... is that it?

The definition is somewhat loose, that is why you see people misusing the term constantly.

But the hard definition would be a game with non-linear exploration that hinges on items being found to progress further.
Mild RPG elements can be a added as well.

It doesn't have to be 2D.

Kuroyume

Banned
A Metroidvania is anything like Super Metroid. The vania refers to any Castlevania after SOTN, Can't remeber of the SNES or Genisis Castlevanias were like Metroid. But Metroidvania specifically refers to Super Metroid. May as well take the reference to Castlevania out.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
A metroidvania is purely defined by it's environment. The game has to take place in a large interconnected space where progression is locked behind obtaining special skills/weapons that allow you to progress. Doesn't matter if it's 2d or 3d or if it has RPG elements or not.

Good luck!

I already have it, so won't enter, but that's a cracking give-away, very generous.

Grief.exe

A Metroidvania is anything like Super Metroid. The vania refers to any Castlevania after SOTN, Can't remeber of the SNES or Genisis Castlevanias were like Metroid. But Metroidvania specifically refers to Super Metroid. May as well take the reference to Castlevania out.

Pre SOTN Castlevanias were linear 2D action games.

Good luck!

Thanks a lot for the opportunity mate.

Good luck all.

Not true. The "vania" was specifically added after SOTN and refers to the RPG elements it added to the genre.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom