• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 IV - Christmas in July is over, back to real life

Status
Not open for further replies.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
GBA has a ridiculous library of games. I fully recommend picking one up.

You can get a GBA SP 101 or Micro with backlights, the latter being harder to find.
I just picked up a 101 for cheap this week. I already have a micro, but I need to play those GB/GBC games.

I will be getting a 3DS XL on the 11th when the all black launches.
Including the 2 best Sims games. I don't know why there were never any RPG Sims on home consoles/PC. The GBA ones were excellent (Bustin' Out and Urbz, I mean; never liked Sims 2).

Grief.exe

Yea and? They weren't metroidvanias, they were just action platformers. SOTN was a genre shift for the series.

I wasn't disagreeing with you. You made a statement that you didn't know what Castlevania games were like pre-SOTN, I was just letting you know.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
Exploratory action games rock guys.
This term is so much more descriptive than "metroidvania", which no one can seem to agree upon a definition for anyway.

"Roguelike" is another term that gets slapped onto basically any game with procedurally-generated content or (...not even necessarily "and"!) permadeath. (Even if it's not really permadeath because you can carry forward aspects of your old character in the guise of upgrades.)

Damn.

Zeno Clash 2 going for 60% off already, pretty sure it was 50% off during the summer sale.

Both games are first person brawlers with a unique story and artstyle. Great games.

Ionic

For those who enjoyed Zeno Clash 1 and are thinking about picking up the second on sale, I say go for it. It starts slower than the first, and the open-ish world tones down the pacing compared to the original, but by around the middle point things pick right up. And the scenery and characters in the sequel trump the original on all fronts. The area around the Pink Tower is one of the prettiest I've ever seen in a video game.

I think what a lot of people have a problem with is that basically any game that has a little bit of back tracking is instantly labeled a Metroidvania.

Inclusion in this genre is so broad it is basically a meaningless distinction. I can make the argument that Sonic CD is a Metroidvania, for example.

People are doing the same thing with the term roguelike if the game involves any kind of randomization.

Edit: Err, just saw the post by honorless. So yeah, roguelikes.

Grief.exe

So Bethesda games will probably be the weekend deal with Quakecon starting on the first.

Time for everyone to pick up Morrowind.

For those who enjoyed Zeno Clash 1 and are thinking about picking up the second on sale, I say go for it. It starts slower than the first, and the open-ish world tones down the pacing compared to the original, but by around the middle point things pick right up. And the scenery and characters in the sequel trump the original on all fronts. The area around the Pink Tower is one of the prettiest I've ever seen in a video game.

Have they patched in an FOV slider yet?

Smash88

Banned
Damn.

Zeno Clash 2 going for 60% off already, pretty sure it was 50% off during the summer sale.

Both games are first person brawlers with a unique story and artstyle. Great games.

Yeah because Zeno Clash 2 is pretty mediocre. Zeno Clash 1 was decent at best. That whole series receives way too much praise for what it is.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
New Enhanced Steam feature! On the badge page, the names of the cards themselves will now be links to the marketplace for those cards. This will make it much easier to complete a badge without having to go back and forth between the badge progress page and the marketplace.

jun2wud.png

GooeyHeat

Wasn't the term "Metroidvania" originally used specifically to describe Castlevania games that had a layout like Metroid, as in Symphony of the Night and the GBA/DS games? I remember hearing that it wasn't originally a term for the genre.

Also, Rise of the Triad is preloading and I am excited.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
The other Carpe Fulgur games are 75% off as well, as is the collection (it's not cheaper than the games bought individually though for some reason)
Damn! I wanted to get Fortune Summoners and/or Recettear on Steam so bad and now they're both $5.00 each and I'm fucking broke. FML!

Smash88

Banned
New Enhanced Steam feature! On the badge page, the names of the cards themselves will now be links to the marketplace for those cards. This will make it much easier to complete a badge without having to go back and forth between the badge progress page and the marketplace.

jun2wud.png

Is there a reason sometimes my Enhanced Steam doesn't load up and I am forced to refresh or "clear cache" - this is a common occurrence and is getting annoying. I won't see any of the "green" games I own and "blue" wishlist and no markings, like I don't have it even installed, and after 1-3 refreshes or clear caches it works.

Nabs

Yessss. Can you add this to the inventory page as well?

Tak3n

Banned
I got invited into the Beta of Guncraft, not really allowed to talk about it.... however the devs are doing constant updating which is nice to see....

if you allready own the game you can apply to join the beta, if that is of interest to you

Nymphae

Banned
The term 'Metroidvania' annoys me for some reason.

It annoys me because it uses all of Metroid's title but only the last half of Castlevania. I don't really have a problem with the term, but that's always bugged me a tad for some reason. I guess Castletroid just doesn't roll off the tongue as well :p

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Is there a reason sometimes my Enhanced Steam doesn't load up and I am forced to refresh or "clear cache" - this is a common occurrence and is getting annoying. I won't see any of the "green" games I own and "blue" wishlist and no markings, like I don't have it even installed, and after 1-3 refreshes or clear caches it works.

I've seen this happen before and it usually has to do with Chrome profile corruption. For most people, following these steps helps.

Yessss. Can you add this to the inventory page as well?

It's already there when you click on the card in your inventory (below the "Sell" link) but it isn't 100% reliable yet like this new feature is. Oh I should clarify - this is so far not been implemented in Firefox.

allansm

Yeah because Zeno Clash 2 is pretty mediocre. Zeno Clash 1 was decent at best. That whole series receives way too much praise for what it is.

I agree. I bought the first Zeno Clash because of the praise it got but the only thing I liked in the game was the weirdness, the game was boring and the gameplay was mediocre. From what I heard about Zeno Clash II, it's not a good game either.

Nabs

It looks like the pre-purchase will go up along with the demo

"Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Ultimate Edition Pre-Purchase"

Cannon Brawl now has a 2-pack. It's priced at $13.49.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
It annoys me because it uses all of Metroid's title but only the last half of Castlevania. I don't really have a problem with the term, but that's always bugged me a tad for some reason. I guess Castletroid just doesn't roll off the tongue as well :p
Well, at least Metroid is a really cool space robot that shoots fireballs from its arm. Castlevania is just a lame dude with a whip. Seriously now, who whips a wall and eats the chicken they find there?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
WTF the new Humble bundle is crazy!

https://www.humblebundle.com/

Pay what you want:
Saints Row: The Third
Saints Row 2
Risen 2: Dark Waters
Sacred 2 Gold

Mora than 7.55:
Dead Island GOTY
Game boxlock icon SR3 Full Package (SR3 DLC!)

$25 or more (37% off!):
Dead Island Riptide

Humble Deep SIlver Bundle

wat

Pay what you want and get the urban warfare open-world adventure Saints Row: The Third; the prequel open-world action-adventure game Saints Row 2; the swashbuckling fantasy action RPG Risen 2: Dark Waters; and the hack-and-slash RPG Sacred 2: Gold Edition. Pay over the average and receive the survival horror RPG Dead Island: Game of the Year Edition and Saints Row: The Third - The Full Package, which includes a bunch of DLC. And if you pay $25 or more, you’ll get the sequel to Dead Island, Dead Island: Riptide.

Addnan

Any truth in this. If you get saints row full package and already own the base game steam eats your keys? Without giving DLC. I would think not, but I want to check.

nexen

That would be awesome, I've always wanted to play that game.

Just a heads up - that game crashes like mad on Win7 in a very early part of the game. it isn't 100% - it is possible to power through it (I think by jumping over a little bit of world geometry) - but it is severely annoying.

I made it almost all the way through the game without much technical trouble after that bit.

Holy shit. Makes me sad I already own it all. Except riptide and I don't need to own that.

Neither Metroid nor classic Castlevanias fall under the guise of Metroidvania. It stems from the "Igavanias" fashioned after SOTN. I take it to mean having a single connected location, with areas blocked off either by an item or skill requirement or having a large bump in enemy difficulty, with an RPG-like character progression that includes leveling up and equipment.

I don't really have a problem with that term or the pedantry over roguelikes; it gets the point across. Neither are the best descriptors at present, but we stuck on to Doom, Diablo and Dota clone for a long while; so until something better comes along it's all we got.

Dolor

jun2wud.png

That is a very nice feature. I think somewhere on the marketplace there should be a place to see how many cards are still needed for your next badge and to max out your badge. I've bought several copies of cards thinking I needed more than I did to max it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom