• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements/Updates 2013 - Summer sale start date? No one knows, don't ask

Status
Not open for further replies.
You won't get cards by idling in Episode Two; you need to idle in Half-Life 2 proper as it and the episodes have distinct app ids.

I see, thanks!

I was idling on EP2 for two hours and I got nothing so I thought there could be any issue on my part, so thanks dude :)

Xanathus

Oh no, I know that yeah. I just mean loading a save after getting into the game fresh is still brisk compared to the loading times they're trying to suggest within the cutscenes.
As I mentioned, it just prevents you from skipping until it,s actually done loading. So you can't skip at the start of the cut scene but you can if you wait a bit into it. The misconception of unskippable cut scenes is because consoles have very long load times.

A reminder: You're already primed for a Steam key if you purchased Indie Royale's Spring Sun Bundle earlier in the year.
Do you also get a Steam key (eventually) if you buy it from IndieGameStand?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
They're saving that for when people get bored of trading cards and they need something else to deflect attention away from the fact that HL3 still isn't out.
Hope it happens soon. I'd give half of Jase's and Xelios' Steam libraries to get those options.

As I mentioned, it just prevents you from skipping until it,s actually done loading. So you can't skip at the start of the cut scene but you can if you wait a bit into it. The misconception of unskippable cut scenes is because consoles have very long load times.
Not all the cutscenes are unskippable and some do allow you to continue once loading's done, but there are a lot of unskippable ones that aren't tied to that and do tack on loading artificially.

But just to avoid a continued back and forth of my word your word, I have this to illustrate what I mean (just gonna toss a spoiler warning here because the example he uses is late in the game) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OQhD2rG6es

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Seeing one of the devs wearing the Beyerdynamics I use in the Interstellar Marine trailer makes me more interested in the game. Man has good taste.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Do you also get a Steam key (eventually) if you buy it from IndieGameStand?

Yeah. The only outlet you may encounter trouble with when it comes to receiving a Steam key for a recently-greenlit game you'd purchased earlier is GOG.

The_Monk

Just curious fellow GAFfers when they release new Cards? Terraria is going to have them right?

It would be nice if Torchlight 2 got some too, finally went back and played a bit more and that game is really good.

Xanathus

Not all the cutscenes are unskippable and some do allow you to continue once loading's done, but there are a lot of unskippable ones that aren't tied to that and do tack on loading artificially.

But just to avoid a continued back and forth of my word your word, I have this to illustrate what I mean (just gonna toss a spoiler warning here because the example he uses is late in the game) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OQhD2rG6es
Huh OK I just tested out what that guy did in the video and yeah I couldn't skip that specific cutscene, although I could skip the part where he was still on the cruise ship. Weird. I must not have tried skipping any of the cutscenes which were unskippable, though I definitely did skip quite a number of cutscenes.

JaseC

Just curious fellow GAFfers when they release new Cards? Terraria is going to have them right?

It would be nice if Torchlight 2 got some too, finally went back and played a bit more and that game is really good.

During the beta period new cards were being released each Tuesday and Thursday, however last week, when it ended, Valve released new cards on Wednesday and Wednesday only instead. We don't know just yet if that's to remain the case going forward, but we'll find out very soon.

Edit: And Terraria will receive cards, yes.

atomsk

Party Pooper

they had said tues/thurs in the beta, but this tuesday was nothing, so maybe they're holding back for the summer sale

The_Monk

During the beta period new cards were being released each Tuesday and Thursday, however last week, when it ended, Valve released new cards on Wednesday and Wednesday only instead. We don't know just yet if that's to remain the case going forward, but we'll find out very soon.

Edit: And Terraria will receive cards, yes.

they had said tues/thurs in the beta, but this tuesday was nothing, so maybe they're holding back for the summer sale

Thank you very much for the detailed info fellow GAFfer!

smr00

Banned
Can you link?
http://www.amazon.com/Max-Payne-Online-Game-Code/dp/B008FPV88U/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1372857349&sr=8-4&keywords=max+payne+3

You can also get GTA IV complete + Max Payne 3 for $20 on amazon. Not too thrilled about the 30gb part but i really want to play it.

EDIT- GTA IV Complete + Max Payne 3 for $20 in case anyone wants it.
http://www.amazon.com/Grand-Theft-Complete-bundle-Online/dp/B00904XVS0/ref=sr_1_7?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1372857399&sr=1-7&keywords=gta+iv+complete

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Looks like Double Fine's Broken Age is going to be released first half in 2014. And that's going to be half of the game. The other half is going to be released in the following year. The game will be released as Steam early access.
That means that Double Fine is seeking more funding to the game. 3.3 million dollar seemed not to be enough for them to make the game

Source

Wasn't the first portion releasing January 2014 and the second portion releasing May 2014?

http://www.amazon.com/Max-Payne-Online-Game-Code/dp/B008FPV88U/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1372857349&sr=8-4&keywords=max+payne+3

You can also get GTA IV complete + Max Payne 3 for $20 on amazon. Not too thrilled about the 30gb part but i really want to play it.

EDIT- GTA IV Complete + Max Payne 3 for $20 in case anyone wants it.
http://www.amazon.com/Grand-Theft-Complete-bundle-Online/dp/B00904XVS0/ref=sr_1_7?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1372857399&sr=1-7&keywords=gta+iv+complete

I was also looking at that deal but GTA IV is so poorly optimized I'd get like such low fps if people with i7's struggle :/

JaseC

Wan't the first portion releasing January 2014 and the second portion releasing May 2014?

Yeah, and backers will still receive an earlier glimpse at the game:

Then we had a strange idea. What if we made some modest cuts in order to finish the first half of the game by January instead of July, and then released that finished, polished half of the game on Steam Early Access? Backers would still have the option of not looking at it, of course, but those who were sick of waiting wouldn’t have to wait any more. They could play the first half of the game in January!

We were always planning to release the beta on Steam, but in addition to that we now have Steam Early Access, which is a new opportunity that actually lets you charge money for pre-release content. That means we could actually sell this early access version of the game to the public at large, and use that money to fund the remaining game development. The second part of the game would come in a free update a few months down the road, closer to April-May.

So, everybody gets to play the game sooner, and we don’t have to cut the game down drastically. Backers still get the whole game this way—nobody has to pay again for the second half.

And whatever date we start selling the early release, backers still have exclusive beta access before that, as promised in the Kickstarter.

bigace33

Wow, never thought I'd see the day when I get sick of hearing about cards. This thread should be renamed the "Steam trading cards thread".

grenade.gif

Chronoja

Did they just remove the Rarest Achievement showcase?

edit: nvm it seems to have returned but it doesn't seem to be functioning correctly. How bizarre

Alien Bob

taken advantage of my ass
Wow, never thought I'd see the day when I get sick of hearing about cards. This thread should be renamed the "Steam trading cards thread".

Are we reading the same thread? I don't see trading card discussion taking it over at all, and if anything is allowed to be discussed in the Steam updates thread, it's a new and fairly significant addition, don't you think?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Are we reading the same thread? I don't see trading card discussion taking it over at all, and if anything is allowed to be discussed in the Steam updates thread, it's a new and fairly significant addition, don't you think?
No I don't. We should go back to discussing Saoirse Ronan and mate.

antitrop

From what I gather, MK: Komplete edition is worth getting when it's finally out on Steam, right? From GMG ofcourse.
I've had the 360 version since day 1 and it's an outstanding game. I'm a casual fighting game fan (at best), but I was easily entertained by the excellent sound design, great graphics/art style, and decent gameplay.

I laughed out loud and cringed at every X-Ray move for quite some time until they got old.

I've been looking forward to this PC port for quite some time.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I was more a fan of all the key giveaways myself
My backlog is not.

Also, I should be spending my free time at home trying to beat all those games, but instead I end up playing some Warframe with friends, and tonight I may run some L4D2 campaigns with a couple of coworkers. No wonder I never finish anything.

Looking forward to the new walking dead episode.

My DInput8.dll is ready.

Seriously, if they haven't bothered to fix that yet...

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Why do people feel the need to spin it into something worse then?

Because some people are skeptical of Kickstarter and are looking to have their skepticism confirmed. Double Fine had one of the most successful Kickstarters (not just from a funding perspective, but a mind-share perspective -- people believe in Double Fine more than others), so for them to fall would be the most spectacular confirmation of their skepticism.

But regardless, it's interesting to see people twist and spin. With the new "they're using Massive Chalice funding to finish Broken Age" conspiracy, it's starting to rival the Birther movement.

Deadbeat

Banned
Because some people are skeptical of Kickstarter and are looking to have their skepticism confirmed. Double Fine had one of the most successful Kickstarters (not just from a funding perspective, but a mind-share perspective -- people believe in Double Fine more than others), so for them to fall would be the most spectacular confirmation of their skepticism.

But regardless, it's interesting to see people twist and spin. With the new "they're using Massive Chalice funding to finish Broken Age" conspiracy, it's starting to rival the Birther movement.
It was pretty dirty of them to announce that they wont make the deadline for their one project after the MC kickstarter ended to ensure they got all that money.

They reaped what they sowed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom