• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Yeah, sorry what I ment was that to gauge how much of the game you completed I was looking at how many you had unlocked as I found it was just giving them to me for playing the game. Baring 1 or 2 that would require going out of your way they would all unlock eventually.

Ah, yeah, 38 Studios wasn't exactly creative with requirements. The only achievements from the base game I missed were ones that required a bit of grinding in obscure areas (e.g. "Got caught committing a crime 25 times"), were ill-suited to my play style (e.g. "Killed 100 enemies with abilities"; I didn't use magic at all and instead focused on weaponry), or related to something in particular I simply didn't get around to doing (e.g. "Crafted an Epic Gem"); and there's also "Killed an enemy 4 levels higher than you", which, thanks to my penchant for secondary content, I was never remotely close to obtaining.

My favourite achievements are those that encourage different approaches to gameplay, such as the achievement you can earn in Episode One for firing just one bullet, or those that are delightfully novel, such as the achievement you can earn in Episode Two if you carry the garden gnome with you through to White Forest and send him into space. Far too many developers call it a day after tying achievements to campaign progression events and grind-fests.

MRORANGE

So the GamersGate issue cleared for me, and now I have several copies of Borderlands 2 to trade.
Does anyone wanna trade?

I would be after:
- Dark Souls
- Rayman Origins
- Retro City Rampage
- Dishonored
- DmC
- Sonic Racing Transformed
- The Walking Dead
- Antichamber

I might open for selling them as well. But I'm more interested in the games. PM me if interested!

wrong thread, post here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=465398

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
ITT: Someone tries trading beads for the island of Manhattan.

In terms of worth, not value, would-be pedants.

spotlight_image_english.png

What this doesn't mention, it's a franchise sale, B1 on sale at 75% off GoTy edition.

Dr Dogg

What this doesn't mention, it's a franchise sale, B1 on sale at 75% off GoTy edition.

Yeah Steam's banners have had a habit of doing that recently. They used to put "Up to 75% off" though I'm sure people would be silly, don't read it and misinterpret that as Borderlands 2 75% off. Saying that, doesn't everyone and their mums own the GOTY edition by now? It's on offer about 5 times a year, hell I've even triple dipped due to being cheap as chips.

Yeah Steam's banners have had a habit of doing that recently. They used to put "Up to 75% off" though I'm sure people would be silly, don't read it and misinterpret that as Borderlands 2 75% off. Saying that, doesn't everyone and their mums own the GOTY edition by now? It's on offer about 5 times a year, hell I've even triple dipped due to being cheap as chips.

Not me, on a FPS ban, got tired of the genre...

I've never bought the DLC, simply because after 11h of Borederlands I realized that it wouldn't get any better. GAF hype fooled me bad.

Dr Dogg

Not me, on a FPS ban, got tired of the genre...

Well I wish I had the willpower and would certainly do my wallet the world of good. Though I'm stockpilling more than playing, stuffing my hdd to Mr Creosote proportions. Doesn't help with sales teasing me like "it's only wafer thin".

I've never bought the DLC, simply because after 11h of Borederlands I realized that it wouldn't get any better. GAF hype fooled me bad.

Hahaha. to be fair the game did bore me to tears and the microscopic plot didn't help much either. 40 hours in just over a year, boy was that a struggle and despite owning all the dlc I've hardly touched it.

Well I wish I had the willpower and would certainly do my wallet the world of good. Though I'm stockpilling more than playing, stuffing my hdd to Mr Creosote proportions. Doesn't help with sales teasing me like "it's only wafer thin".

Not even about Willpower, I am disgusted by FPS games right now, can't stand the genre, third person view or GTFO my current fav right now is Sleeping Dogs...

After playing the trial on PS+ I decided that Borderlands was one of those series I would never buy a game from, in any form, ever.

Dr Dogg

Not even about Willpower, I am disgusted by FPS games right now, can't stand the genre, third person view or GTFO my current fav right now is Sleeping Dogs...

To be fair I haven't enjoyed a pure FPS since Crysis came out and that was in severely scaled down setting just to get it to run. Funnily Sleeping Dogs is the only game I've put any meaningful time into this year and is one of the few games I have no problems buying dlc for, in fact there's a new story pack out soon isn't there?

After playing the trial on PS+ I decided that Borderlands was one of those series I would never buy a game from, in any form, ever.

It's one of those games people try to justify how shallow it is by saying "Yeah, but it's so much better with friends.". Well good luck convincing one of your mates to part with their cash for a rather mind numbing experience let alone 3 of them. Though proves I might have a problem due to buying it on Steam, getting a cheap copy on 360 and actually downloading a copy on PS+. Still only cost me around £15 all in all *sob*.

Could someone with Cities XL 2011 or Cities XL 2012 on his account gift me Cities XL Platinum (as it's around 5$ for those guys), in exchange of a Paypal payment? I'd be very grateful to him :)

I already have Cities XL, but only the original one, and the offer doesn't apply :(

Edit: Done!

So I'm thinking about dropping $80 for Kingdoms of Alumar on Steam
because fuck you Origin

is it any good?

Why would you even consider spending $80 for a digital release, for a game that you don't know the quality of, on a platform that regularly has huge sales?

def sim

It's $50 cheaper on Origin. That's a significant difference and the service isn't even bad.

People see their beloved AAA market threatened. It was only a question of time.

It reads more like they expect another video game crash. New consoles bring out the hilarity.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I never know if the daily deal is any good. As such, I will now start streaming the daily deal every day here at my store and have the crew play them. Too many time I have let games slide by that could have been great. So today is Tower Wars and the stream is on. Also, gonna give out a DOTA 2 key to one of the viewers.

twitch.tv/monsters_arcade

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Giving out $.02 worth of prizes, so generous.

I almost have this Linux thing doing what I want it too. All this for the potental to get a hat to a game I haven't played in months.

Steam Client Beta changes:

All Platforms:

- Added third party Mod support for games on new content system
- Fix screenshots sometimes not showing up in screenshot manager when copied from another Steam installation

Mac:

- Add partial support for Retina displays
- Fix bug w/tooltips showing through Windows

Linux:

- Fix executable file system check bug when installing games
- Fix runtime crashes in libappindicator, XCreateIC
- Fix launching Steam with STEAM_RUNTIME=0
- Fix problem connecting to X11 display when XAUTHLOCALHOSTNAME is set
- Reduced the size of the Steam Runtime by 50%
- Added license to allow repackaging for other Linux distributions

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
GT just made a Steam Greenlight Spotlight.

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/74flbf/gt-one-shot-steam-greenlight-spotlight

The games are:

- Distance
- Escape Goat
- Grapple Knight
- Homesick
- Sub Rosa
- Tiny Barbarian DX
I hope Distance gets approved. It looks cool as fuck, it's developed by the guys that did Nitronic Rush (best free game I've ever played, and one of my favorite indies), and I've backed the Kickstarter (which will hopefully grant me a Steam key free of charge when/if it gets in).

Reduced the size of the Steam Runtime by 50%

What? Does it mean less RAM consumption? Then thats a big one. If they manage to reduce system resource use under Big PIcture Mode i will be very pleased.

Also Valve should allow the controller to function as a mouse for general PC use when BPM is active.

I hope Distance gets approved. It looks cool as fuck, it's developed by the guys that did Nitronic Rush (best free game I've ever played, and one of my favorite indies), and I've backed the Kickstarter (which will hopefully grant me a Steam key free of charge when/if it gets in).

More people need to vote for Kingdom Rush
dammit
. Read the description; it's not a port.

They probably should have called it Kingdom Rush 2.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
More people need to vote for Kingdom Rush
dammit
. Read the description; it's not a port.

They probably should have called it Kingdom Rush 2.
I'll vote for it tomorrow. Now I can't be bothered to turn on my PC, and searching for it on my phone is not cool.

Ledsen

Tony got banned.

But that was months ago, and the thread was locked today.

edit: Oh, it says in the title I guess? [Make new threads for good deals]
Well... ok. But they have deals almost always, so that just means that any thread people make will get turned into the general "Amazon DD deals" thread and the mods will have to step in and lock every single one.

Wok

224760 ValveTestApp224760 (Fez)
219260 ValveTestApp219260 (QUantum Conundrum 2)
210970 ValveTestApp210970 (The Witness)
206190 ValveTestApp206190 (Gunpoint)
204240 ValveTestApp204240 (The Bridge )

The leak was legit: "The Bridge" is up for pre-order with the expected id (204240).

The Bridge is Now Available for Pre-Purchase on Steam and is 20% off!

The Bridge is a 2D logic puzzle game that forces the player to reevaluate their preconceptions of physics and perspective. It is Isaac Newton meets M. C. Escher. Manipulate gravity to redefine the ceiling as the floor while venturing through impossible architectures. Explore increasingly difficult worlds, each uniquely detailed and designed to leave the player with a pronounced sense of intellectual accomplishment. The Bridge exemplifies games as an art form, with beautifully hand-drawn art in the style of a black-and-white lithograph.

35c77UR.jpg

The leak was legit: "The Bridge" is up for pre-order with the expected id (204240).

Oh wow, looks pretty crazy.

HALO HALO HALO HALO HALO HALO HALO HALO HALO HALO HALO HALO HALO HALO HALO

Oh wow, looks pretty crazy.

Moar liek King of Fighters son.

Bumhead

Banned
I've been thinking of changing my PC so that it boots straight into Big Picture Mode. I have my PC hooked up to my living room HDTV and its only function is as a gaming system, other than occassionaly browsing GAF or buying something from GMG. Often the whole Windows boot up sequence and having to see a desktop is largely a waste of time to me.

I assumed this couldn't be done but after some quick Googling it sounds like it's actually pretty painless and simple to sort out.

Anyone any experience with this? Any horror stories or tips? And does anyone here use Big Picture Mode exclusively and miss anything from the regular Steam layout?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

That's under $20, but seems Contract isn't among them.

Contracts has never been on Steam, as Eidos' right to use a certain song expired and there's been no effort to get the issue sorted or remove/replace said track.

Munin

Contracts has never been on Steam, as Eidos' right to use a certain song expired and there's been no effort to get the issue sorted or remove/replace said track.

Pisses me off to no end, Contracts is the 2nd best game of the series and all it takes would be just one simple replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom