• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Dogg

Well that's convenient timing. I just bought a racing wheel and I'm looking for racing games to play with it.

Ooooh. Whatdya' get? Been eying one up for a while (though got the feeling the other half will call me a sad case). Was looking at a Logitech G27 but they're going for silly money at the moment. Shift 2 looks amazing on PC and GTR is possibly the most indepth sim on Steam and Codies racing games are always a blast.

_machine

From gaf racing threads, I know there are people here who absolutely despise it. That's from people who loved the first game. It's supposedly an abomination of all that was good with the first. Broken crap is the impression I've gotten.
Yeah, that's how it's for me. I loved the first despite it's faults and played it from time to time for quite a while, but I gave up on the second after playing it for a while and getting to drive a few supercars. The absolute worst thing is the lifeless physics; I don't mind all the alter-ego stuff and decorating etc or the boring single-player or the average graphics, but the physics don't do anything to me, it's not terribly bad, but there's just no feel and no fun to be had and with the game revolving around driving you end up with giving up on the game within hours. Fixing the bumpy roads, tuning the graphics and adding a new island aren't enough when the physics are a huge step back from the original.
Well that's convenient timing. I just bought a racing wheel and I'm looking for racing games to play with it.
I don't know if they've tuned it or not, but at the launch you were much off with a pad than a wheel as the wheel support felt horrible.

Doesn't TDU2 have boob physics though?

That's one reason to get it I think.

Hard to appreciate boob physics in a car though.
Plus yeah I heard the same, even TDU1 fans dislike the game, which is enough to dissuade me from ever picking it up.

Shame there aren't more games in the TDU style though. Explore huge areas, choose from tons of cars to drive, etc.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Better than Source? Sold.

A couple of quick pointers:

- If you're using headphones, you can enable GoldSrcesque positional sound by setting both snd_headphone_pan_exponent and snd_headphone_pan_radial_weight to 2
- The maps by default have a slight hint of distance fog in them, which can be off-putting, but you can play the variants intended for competitive play by affixing "_se" to the end of the map name (e.g. de_aztec_se; for some reason, they're not selectable from the map menu) They've been removed from the game but appear to be up on the CS:GO Workshop.

see5harp

Why would you be angry at people paying real money for them? It's an ad-hoc currency, people use them because there is a sizable but forever limited supply. I think it's brilliant. I traded mine to a pleasant gaffer for a copy of Gods and Kings and I don't regret it one bit, I got a game I really wanted, he will get to flip them at a higher price later on or do whatever it is people do with these things besides wearing them. Win/win!

It's too bad you gave yours away. The more important lesson here is to ignore strangers who add you. On any service. Oh, and maybe from your TF2 days you have something else that could be worth something. Check out the Market under the Community tab on Steam to see what people are paying, and either sell it there or find a friend/gaffer who would trade for it. I don't actively play TF2 anymore, but I had a fun week of listing and trading my remaining items and making a bit of cash to buy more games with.

I'm not really mad. I'm just mad that it creates a population of scammers. I don't think Valve gave away the ear buds with the intention of creating a weird economy. It was just a thank you and easter egg for people who supported Steam on OSX. Lesson learned though with strangers. It's sad that you have to be so guarded against this though, there was a time where I'd be totally fine communicating with a total stranger if there was the possibility where that person would actually be down to play something in the future.

Uiki

- The maps by default have a slight hint of distance fog in them, which can be off-putting, but you can play the variants intended for competitive play by affixing "_se" to the end of the map name (e.g. de_aztec_se; for some reason, they're not selectable from the map menu)

Holy shit.

THANK YOU!

nexen

I liked TDU2 but it has some problems:

1) It has douche lifestyle simulator bolted onto it.
2) No Lamborghinis.
3) Annoying music.

It is very arcadey compared to Forza Horizon, but for $5 I think it is well worth it. I had fun just driving around and collecting cars.

Ooooh. Whatdya' get? Been eying one up for a while (though got the feeling the other half will call me a sad case). Was looking at a Logitech G27 but they're going for silly money at the moment. Shift 2 looks amazing on PC and GTR is possibly the most indepth sim on Steam and Codies racing games are always a blast.

I got the G27. I haven't had much time to play with it but so far I messed around in Dirt 2 and NFS Hot Pursuit and it's pretty damn fun. I want to also play GT5 but I need to build some kind of mount to use it in my living room.

I don't know if they've tuned it or not, but at the launch you were much off with a pad than a wheel as the wheel support felt horrible.

Thanks, if using the wheel feels horrible, I'll just pass on it. The games I'm currently looking to pick up are Dirt 3 and GTR 2.

nexen

Thanks, if using the wheel feels horrible, I'll just pass on it. The games I'm currently looking to pick up are Dirt 3 and GTR 2.

Oh, yes, I can back up that TDU2 is horrible with the wheel I used. Ended up using the xbox controller. (I had a mad catz 2 wired wheel, iirc. Sold it awhile ago)

1-D_FTW

I got the G27. I haven't had much time to play with it but so far I messed around in Dirt 2 and NFS Hot Pursuit and it's pretty damn fun. I want to also play GT5 but I need to build some kind of mount to use it in my living room.

When you pick up GTR 2, be sure to download the Power and Glory 3.0 mod. P&G 3.0 is the best sim available on Steam (even if it's technically a free mod).

MRORANGE

Ok this is stupid, why even make an ipad version:
DVrHzz2.jpg

I never realized how sad Team Fortress 2 items and trading has gotten. Someone added me as a friend with a completely fabricated profile with the intention of getting Mac Ear Buds from me. The person seemed nice and I never even play Team Fortress 2 so I didn't care in the least. I traded the items for nothing. Now I come to realize that they are worth actual money to some sad people. I don't know if I should be angry at the scammer or angry at the people who would actually pay real money for the item.

If you're wondering if you should be mad at people for enjoying something, then the answer is probably "No".

Dr Dogg

Hey that's a point, Logitech do a cheaper GT wheel for the impoverished. You can also get some ridiculously unnecessary seat-come-frame from these guys http://www.playseat.com/shop/eu/ though god knows who would want to have that in their living room.

Very helpful D. Dogg. Here are your rep points.

+1

Buy your nice something self.

Hahaha. My pleasure. I think that's good for 1 pat on the back.

1-D_FTW

Hey that's a point, Logitech do a cheaper GT wheel for the impoverished. You can also get some ridiculously unnecessary seat-come-frame from these guys http://www.playseat.com/shop/eu/ though god knows who would want to have that in their living room.

If he looks around, there are actually some nice hide-a-way furniture designs you can build. I've got mine designed, but it's part of another project and I don't want to start it till I know I have a bunch of time I can dedicate to it.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Test Drive Unlimited 2 uses securom. How bad is this? If I download it and delete it, do I lose an activation? I dont think Ive ever downloaded a securom game before.

Also, is the PC port even good? I loved it on X360 but I dont own it anymore.

Dr Dogg

If he looks around, there are actually some nice hide-a-way furniture designs you can build. I've got mine designed, but it's part of another project and I don't want to start it till I know I have a bunch of time I can dedicate to it.

Yeah I've always toyed around with the idea of getting a decent Recaro seat from a scrap yard and making something from box steel but the last time I used a MiG wielder was back in school many, many moons ago. That and I've still not totally finished renovating the house, which I'm sure I'll get nagged at if I drop that project for building some toys.

Dr Dogg

Test Drive Unlimited 2 uses securom. How bad is this? If I download it and delete it, do I lose an activation? I dont think Ive ever downloaded a securom game before.

Not a big a pain as it used to be plus since the shit hit the fan with them years ago they have been providing revoke tools so you can get your activations back http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2503719. Acording to the The Big List of 3rd Party DRM on Steam it has a 4 machine limit.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I don't get any sound in Bioshock 1 after the intro. I remember having this problem before, but don't remember how I fixed it. Help!
I had that same problem. What I did to fix it was downloading and installing the sound drivers (a crappy integrated Realtek chip) and then enabling Stereo Mix (look for it under recording devices, right click and select "Show hidden/disabled devices" if it isn't there) on the Windows sound properties, inside the Control Panel.

Or you could plug in a mic, I've read that it also works. But I did the former and it worked all right.

HoosTrax

Have you tried the SP? How bad is the rubberbanding?

Joe Molotov

I never realized how sad Team Fortress 2 items and trading has gotten. Someone added me as a friend with a completely fabricated profile with the intention of getting Mac Ear Buds from me. The person seemed nice and I never even play Team Fortress 2 so I didn't care in the least. I traded the items for nothing. Now I come to realize that they are worth actual money to some sad people. I don't know if I should be angry at the scammer or angry at the people who would actually pay real money for the item.

Just sell all your TF2 stuff, it's very liberating.

Hofmann

I had that same problem. What I did to fix it was downloading and installing the sound drivers (a crappy integrated Realtek chip) and then enabling Stereo Mix (look for it under recording devices, right click and select "Show hidden/disabled devices" if it isn't there) on the Windows sound properties, inside the Control Panel.

Or you could plug in a mic, I've read that it also works. But I did the former and it worked all right.

I don't think there's a need to download new drivers. It was long time ago, but I remember I found the solution on Bioshock forums - some changes in ini files.

Tizoc

Good news: Found a laptop model that can play all those goodies in my PC backlog

Bad news: It costs more than $1500

Laptops are kind of useful if you're in college. Otherwise, not so much.
Not even that, the man could strap some lil' wheels to the desktop and drag it around campus.

He could even dressed it up in a pink tutu and bunny ears get some attention fron the ladies. Put things in motion... you know.

Dr Dogg

Good news: Found a laptop model that can play all those goodies in my PC backlog

Bad news: It costs more than $1500

Owch! I've never really seen the appeal of a gaming laptop. I use a laptop, sure but mainly for the internet and faffing around whilst there is something on tv. Also when ever I get a new one or it's time for an upgrade I either end up selling it or giving it away to some other less than grateful being. Where as my main pc has been in a perpetual flow of upgrading for the last 8 years now. Case's asides, when ever I get some new components I usually end up repurposing the old bits into either a HTPC or media focused device like a NAS box.

Not even that, the man could strap some lil' wheels to the desktop and drag it around campus.

He could even dressed it up in a pink tutu and bunny ears get some attention fron the ladies. Put things in motion... you know.

My pc has got little wheels. Makes a horrendous sound if it ever gets moved.

Tizoc

lol, I just prefer laptops now, since it allows me to easily link up to an HDTV to watch movies, etc. when family or friends are around.
Also big picture mode would be easier for me to implement with a lappy~

Addnan

Thank you :). Turning on stereo mix seems to have done the trick.

Keep your future backlog in mind - go desktop.

Seconded. See here.

You can probably build a desktop that will crush whatever laptop you're thinking about for $500 less.

So much this. Did this last year (using GAF thread of course) and I won't invest in a 'gaming laptop' ever again.

I still do some 'minor' gaming on the laptop, but you can't beat a 26" 1080p monitor vs. a laptop.

Do it

HoosTrax

lol, I just prefer laptops now, since it allows me to easily link up to an HDTV to watch movies, etc. when family or friends are around.
Also big picture mode would be easier for me to implement with a lappy~
Might want to look into mini-ITX then, could end up cheaper.

Tizoc

Buying a gaming laptop when Orbis and Durango are right around the corner... I'm not sure.

I ain't quiting my PS3 just yet. Besides I don't wanna risk the early models of the new consoles to have hardlocks or random BS happening when I play.

Also that model allows for good emulation at 720p, mmmm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom