• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Wow, MotionInJoy is evil. I finally bought a 360 pad, and every game I tried to use it with would crash almost instantly. This was troubling to say the least, since it could have been the result of a fucked up GPU. A Google search lead me to a few forum threads that described the same problem. Turns out MotionInJoy was causing this.

That's bad enough, but the real problem is that MiJ did not want to be uninstalled. Uninstalling the program through my control panel and deleting it's files didn't work. I had to uninstall the drivers under my device manager TWICE before it stopped auto-installing itself along with my 360 pad drivers after restarting the PC. It would not go away.

I think I killed it's drivers this time, but the program is still showing up on my task manager. It was nice to save $40 and use a dualshock with my PC games but I'd recommend ponying up the cash and avoiding MiJ if you ever find yourself in a similar situation.

On a side note, it's nice to finally have a 360 pad. There are few things in life that feel better than gripping a brand new controllThem sticks is tight.

Hhaha, while I don't share the level of hate and frustration as you I do agree. Motionjoy seems iffy at times and when I hooked my new wireless 360 pad the other day, Motionjoy installed its drivers for it and it even said Motionjoy device in devices. Not a crime against humanity but Windows natively recognizes the pad and Motionjoy should never touch your PC if you have an actualy 360 pad.

One uninstall did the trick and on a reboot, the pad sync'd immediately. I also agree that it's nice to have the proper solution instead of using a wrapper like Motionjoy which is not straight forward with ads and other junk.

Another side benefit is you can sync any wireless 360 controllers to the PC receiver. Perfect since I recently bought the kids their own 360 pad with a play n' charge kit so it's as simple as syncing the pad to PC and then just re-syncing back to 360.

FloatOn

I just made it to the 10th chapter in hotline miami as well. weird.

it gave me some pretty fucked up dreams last night. so yeah, I'd say it made more impact on me than drive did.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
it gave me some pretty fucked up dreams last night
Can't be weirder than mine. Only posting in this thread cos of the loose relevancy. I dreamt I was hired by Valve as an accountant then somehow had to avoid a terminator that showed up to kill someone, I escaped with GabeN and some others in a car, hitching a ride to Valve HQ to arm, but on the way realized GabeN who was driving was actually the terminator disguised, then we all tried to pretend we didn't know until we figured something out... Then I woke up. Never having late dinners again...

MRORANGE

Can't be weirder than mine. Only posting in this thread cos of the loose relevancy. I dreamt I was hired by Valve as an accountant then somehow had to avoid a terminator that showed up, escaped with GabeN and some others with a car, being taken to Valve HQ to arm ourselves, but on the way realized GabeN was actually the terminator disguised... Then woke up.

Had the same exact dream.

Nabs

Super House of Dead Ninjas is available now @ $4.89 (-30%)

Descend a seemingly-endless tower, wielding an arsenal of deadly ninja weapons and
attacks, as the fearsome Crimson Ninja. This 2D action-platformer uses ninja magic to
generate every tower randomly, so no two adventures are the same! Based on the hit Flash
game from developers Megadev and Adult Swim Games.

- 180 custom rooms, 50 of which are new to this edition
- Map Editor: design your own levels and share via Steamworks
- Leaderboards: bask in the envy of others as you crush their high scores
- Dozens of weapons and item upgrades, many seen here for the first time (like the flamethrower and baseball bat)
- Steam exclusive version of the game is bigger and better than the original!

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
So the rooms are set but their order (the tower) is random? That would be the best use of random generation, using it to prevent the thing where less skilled players only see the same handful of levels.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Descend a seemingly-endless tower, wielding an arsenal of deadly ninja weapons and
attacks, as the fearsome Crimson Ninja. This 2D action-platformer uses ninja magic to
generate every tower randomly, so no two adventures are the same! Based on the hit Flash

- Dozens of weapons and item upgrades, many seen here for the first time (like the flamethrower and baseball bat)

I'll snap this up if my two other promo hats from The Cave sell by the 26th.

Finally something to use my credit on!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

FloatOn

Every time I see anything about this Super House of Dead Ninjas I think House of the Dead. Which then makes me want a steam port of Typing of the Dead. Ugh.

The game looks like a mix of They Bleed Pixels and Stealth Bastard. I'll give it a go some time later.

Tizoc

It's completely average, relying too heavily on the manoeuvrable blade gimmick and has the sickly aesthetic typical of early UE3 games, but even so, for less than a few bucks it's not a bad way to kill a day.

Mhmm. Well GMG has it for $2-ish which is the cheapest the game's every been, guess I'll grab it from there~

nexen

Mhmm. Well GMG has it for $2-ish which is the cheapest the game's every been, guess I'll grab it from there~

Is it the cheapest? I could've sworn that game goes on sale for $2.50 every winter and summer.

oh and I back up JaseC's lukewarm recommendation. It's dumb fun. I mostly enjoyed achievement whoring it on the x360 though. On the PC I'm not sure I'd have made it all the way through. Easily worth $2.50.
That game originally started out as a sci-fi stealth shooter.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
It's completely average, relying too heavily on the manoeuvrable blade gimmick and has the sickly aesthetic typical of early UE3 games, but even so, for less than a few bucks it's not a bad way to kill a day.

That's impressive since it isn't even on UE3!

Blizzard

Banned

I guess they failed, since according to Wikipedia, "The producer of Dark Sector, Dave Kudirka said when they first built the engine, they did not want it to look like the Unreal Engine 3, and they wanted their own perspective engine." ("Evolution Engine" is what it's apparently called)

FloatOn

any game that has the krull throwing star in it is okay by me.

images

and if not, it's only 2.50

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Dark Sector is a fun curiosity. It would have been a lot better if they had stuck to their original vision, which they literally completely abandoned in the final product.

I do remember having a little fun in the lan-only multiplayer using tunngle. Then it didn't work one time and we never played it again.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Dark Sector is a fun curiosity. It would have been a lot better if they had stuck to their original vision, which they literally completely abandoned in the final product.

I do remember having a little fun in the lan-only multiplayer using tunngle. Then it didn't work one time and we never played it again.

Well the thought of having to reinstall Tunngle is like a massive barrier emotionally.

House of Dead Ninjas is pretty swell. The controls are a little too loose with the keyboard though.

Gotta install joy2key or something in order to use a controller. C'mon guys.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
So X-Com will be 60% off on GMG:

From 1700 GMT February 20th, XCOM Enemy Unknown will be 60% off for 24 hours! Plus when you buy it you'll get a voucher for 30% off of any one Borderlands 2 or XCOM Enemy Unknown DLC.

I wonder if we'll be able to use the 20% off voucher along with it, making it 16 bucks?

That would be swell!

Nabs

House of Dead Ninjas is pretty swell. The controls are a little too loose with the keyboard though.

Gotta install joy2key or something in order to use a controller. C'mon guys.

Devs say that controller support will be patched in soon.

Weekly deals include:

- Wanderlust
- Scratches
- Restaurant Empire II
- Fallout Tactics

Edit: late... and nearly identical formatting.

zychi

Banned
Is RE6 worth it at $32 via GMG? Thinking about picking it up since I might get all the DLC and Re5 with it for free.

Uiki

Is this any good? I'm really tempted, but i can't find any reviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom