• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

1-D_FTW

KoA: Reckoning may not be a good game for you hard core guys, but I'm beginning to see how NoFuckingIdea logged 100 hours on it. I usually never do side quests, yet I'm constantly ignoring the main quest for sides. Your sales pitch was good, JaseC.

Dr Dogg

KoA: Reckoning may not be a good game for you hard core guys, but I'm beginning to see how NoFuckingIdea logged 100 hours on it. I usually never do side quests, yet I'm constantly ignoring the main quest for sides. Your sales pitch was good, JaseC.

I've managed 60 hours on the 360 version and barely scratched the surface. Only stopped as I've got lost doing so many sidequests I can't even remember what I'm meant to be doing anymore for the main plot. Tempted to fire it up on Steam but I know it'll suck me in.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
Kingdom of Amalur was one of my favourite surprises last year. It felt like an offline WoW, but with fun real-time fighting. It's a very polished, very enjoyable fun game. Just a great pick up and play game that you can easily lose a lot of hours into.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom

I need to give it another shot. I only played like two dozen hours so there's still a lot of meat left on them bones and I've been hungry for a decent RPG lately. It's not a bad game, it's just that there wasn't a single aspect (combat, loot, exploration, plot etc etc) strong enough to hold my interest for the massive amount of time required to see everything in the game. It's consistently average. It also hurts that the big balancing patch never came out due to the clusterfuck that followed the release of the game.

Dr Dogg

I need to give it another shot. I only played like two dozen hours so there's still a lot of meat left on them bones and I've been hungry for a decent RPG lately. It's not a bad game, it's just that there wasn't a single aspect (combat, loot, exploration, plot etc etc) strong enough to hold my interest for the massive amount of time required to see everything in the game. It's consistently average. It also hurts that the big balancing patch never came out due to the clusterfuck that followed the release of the game.

Yeah I know what you mean, a perfect example of Jack of All Trades and Master of None but still fun and had a certain charm. Plus low level locking an area was a right pain that kind of forced you to play to a specific way unless you wanted to make the game a cake-walk.

Nabs

KoA is an interesting one. I think I liked it, but I always have a hard time recommending it. I beat it in about 30 or so (skipping a million hours of side shit), and made my Mage overpowered as fuck.

I grabbed it off Origin for free, but I may consider picking it up for cheap if Tony secures the rights to sell the Steam version.

KoA is a game that OCD sufferers should steer clear of.

Yep. I fought it off, but the game makes it super easy to waste hours and hours at a time. I will pray for Stallion Free.

Dr Dogg

I kinda hope it never price drops on Steam because I won't be able to resist going for 100% achievements.

As I was saying with JaseC you can literally bungle your way through the game and unlock pretty much all the achievement apart from the ones that really force you to do some weird stuff.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yeah I know what you mean, a perfect example of Jack of All Trades and Master of None but still fun and had a certain charm. Plus low level locking an area was a right pain that kind of forced you to play to a specific way unless you wanted to make the game a cake-walk.

Yeah. I was actually having fun with it back when it came out but IIRC the Vita release stole my attention from it and I never looked back. Now that you guys have mentioned it I'm in the mood for giving it another shot. Maybe build a sweet Mage or something.

Kingdom of Amalur was one of my favourite surprises last year. It felt like an offline WoW, but with fun real-time fighting. It's a very polished, very enjoyable fun game. Just a great pick up and play game that you can easily lose a lot of hours into.

I don't think it was quite as fun and diverse as Borderlands, but it was very close.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
I can vouch for KoA being a fun, solid RPG. I am currently in the process of doing the DLC and have spent over 80 hours in the game so far but haven't finished it. There is a lot of padding and repetitive crap in the game including side quests, dungeons, crafting, loot--everything that someone who doesn't enjoy meticulously exploring every facet of an RPG like I do would quickly get bored with--so if you don't stick to the story and do everything else sparingly it'll start to feel more like a single player MMO and get stale.

I'd advise sticking to the storyline and the House of _______ quest lines with some occasional exploration and you'll be fine. Also play on hard for sure, because the game gets too easy either way.

If you're like me and RPGs are your favorite genre and you find enjoyment in all but the worst you'll have a blast and the game will last you a very long time, otherwise follow the above!

HoosTrax

My big beef with KoA is how overpowered crafting is, and how comparatively underpowered unique loot feels as a result. The least they could have done is what MMORPGs have, where you can use old gear as a skin to change the appearance of your gear. Basically put those obsolete uniques to good use.

KarmaCow

I'm guessing installing Batman Arkham City with Steam doesn't have the issue where the game wont install if the setup.exe file is in a folder with spaces in the name? Because while it's a minor annoyance, it's real dumb.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
My big beef with KoA is how overpowered crafting is, and how comparatively underpowered unique loot feels as a result. The least they could have done is what MMORPGs have, where you can use old gear as a skin to change the appearance of your gear. Basically put those obsolete uniques to good use.

I guess it's a good thing I've never had the attention span for crafting in RPG's. The one exception would be Demon's/Dark Souls but you actually need it in those games.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Yeah finding special loot was a bit of a letdown because of crafting, but sometimes you would get better components from it than you had around before. Of course some of it isn't salvageable. A quick tip for gear with nice components (and not like anyone would need it though because of the difficulty) is to quick save before salvaging and quick load until it salvages into the components you were wanting.

Also chakrams are the most awesome thing ever. Makes you feel like a badass. I also thought the world and colors were quite beautiful. Played with a widescreen fixer myself to increase the FoV and made for a much more enjoyable experience.

1-D_FTW

Props to Sega for the Binary Domain update:

Made the launcher controller navigable for BPM and fixed the Optimus GPU issue.

They really are becoming a PC company. Can't think of any other Japanese company that would have released that type of update months after release.

They really are becoming a PC company. Can't think of any other Japanese company that would have released that type of update months after release.
They're going to do great with Relic. I'm excited.

KarmaCow

If I can normally run a game at 60+ fps, would limiting the fps to 60 have the same effect as using vsync but without the input lag? As I understand it, vsync works by making sure frames aren't partially displayed due to the monitors refresh rate, but is there more to it beyond limiting the framerate to a multiple of the refresh rate if it detects the fps dropping?

Well, beat Super House of Dead Ninjas on normal mode. I'll wait for the controller patch before I start banging my head against the wall on hard mode.

Sometimes you gotta make those very slight movements, like inching towards a trap or something, and that's just not happening with a keyboard. Oh and pressing up to jump? Bleghghghgarghghggh

It's a pretty good game. Those score achievements look kinda ridiculous though. I've only hit the 250,000 point one.

Blizzard

Banned
If I can normally run a game at 60+ fps, would limiting the fps to 60 have the same effect as using vsync but without the input lag? As I understand it, vsync works by making sure frames aren't partially displayed due to the monitors refresh rate, but is there more to it beyond limiting the framerate to a multiple of the refresh rate if it detects the fps dropping?
How would you be limiting it? If it's a game engine that provides the limiting function (like UE3 does) then it's going to depend on how the engine implements that limit.

Using D3DOverrider (part of the RivaTuner package) with triple buffering and vsync usually provides reasonably low input lag for me.

KarmaCow

How would you be limiting it? If it's a game engine that provides the limiting function (like UE3 does) then it's going to depend on how the engine implements that limit.

Using D3DOverrider (part of the RivaTuner package) with triple buffering and vsync usually provides reasonably low input lag for me.

I was going to use in the built in fps limiter in DMC4 but I'll try doing it manually from the graphics card instead then. Thanks.

SEGA am gods.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
On chapter 3 of Alice and the stages are loooooong. It can get a bit tedious but I'm enjoying it enough. Definitely could have used better pacing.

I exercised some restraint these past few days but today I bought the Deus Ex collection, I am already dead.

I've been managing to play what's on my library, so not all is lost. I'm not trying to treat it as "backlog cleaning" and rushing through anything though, I took my time with Sleeping Dogs because I wanted to 100% it and now I feel like going back to Hotline Miami to score A+ on all stages. Still, it's kind of crazy how big the list can grow in such a short time.

Dr Dogg

I was going to use in the built in fps limiter in DMC4 but I'll try doing it manually from the graphics card instead then. Thanks.

Ah I can see why now. Was faffing around with the benchmark tool in DMC4 last night and fully maxed out was getting around 140fps as an average and around a max of 240fps. I swear there's some black magic going on with that game.

On chapter 3 of Alice and the stages are loooooong. It can get a bit tedious but I'm enjoying it enough. Definitely could have used better pacing.

Stick with it, the pacing balances out and some of the upcoming levels are some of the most beautiful ever made.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist

Did they fix the AMD issues?

Blizzard

Banned
Even better, try both ways and use whichever one feels the best to you. :) I don't know how DMC4 does its framerate limiting so I can't advocate one over the other.

http://store.steampowered.com/news/9980/

Just what I mentioned. Although they mention fixing directinput pad issues with a future update. So you never know. I've found the best fix for AMD issues is to switch to team green;)

My next build will definitely be "team green". I don't regret buying my 5970 because at the time there wasn't anything even close in terms of power (and that scenario continued for several months). That was even before Nvidia had any DX11 cards out. But man, I am fed up with the AMD issues. There is a list of games in my steam backlog that I won't even touch until I build a new tower because of these issues. After playing binary domain to the second boss, I put it down because of the bad framerate during these boss battles. I won't be able to play it properly until I get an Nvidia card, which is sad because my 5970 is truly more than capable. It will be Nvidia from here on out for me.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

They are getting there but they are also releasing shit like the Viking port.

Well, beat Super House of Dead Ninjas on normal mode. I'll wait for the controller patch before I start banging my head against the wall on hard mode.

Sometimes you gotta make those very slight movements, like inching towards a trap or something, and that's just not happening with a keyboard. Oh and pressing up to jump? Bleghghghgarghghggh

It's a pretty good game. Those score achievements look kinda ridiculous though. I've only hit the 250,000 point one.

They said they were making it an option to turn off push up to jump and make it a button so thanks god for that.

I am waiting for the controller patch before I play anymore as well. I've only gotten to floor ~100 on a single go from the top.

They said they were making it an option to turn off push up to jump and make it a button so thanks god for that.

I am waiting for the controller patch before I play anymore as well. I've only gotten to floor ~100 on a single go from the top.

Yeah well it's possible to set one of the keys to jump on the keyboard, but that causes a mean case of finger gymnastics just to do basic stuff.
I've got a Saturn pad waiting to be shown some love.

Also couldn't get joy2key to work...dammit.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
finished Bonerlands 2. It was more addictive than truly fun at times, but a good ride nonetheless. Will play the DLC soon

It's good, the hate is a bit overblown, and that comes from someone who didnt play it in the best way possible. Im sure I could give it a pass in most of its shortcomings if I was playing with another 3 friends

a bit long though.

Heh, I kinda bailed on you there. Sorry D:

Also, for those that might be interested since it activates in steam, Hitman Absolution is currently 16.49/19.99 at amazon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom