• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

also worth mentioning that I havent played any of the Blackwell series games and I own them all. That's probably next.

Sarcasm

Thanks guys =D Yeah it's pretty exciting, I saw ultrasound pictures the other day and it's basically a little blob at the moment so we're calling it Blobby until we can find out the gender.

Playing Braid in Cuba is reassuring, but I'm a bit worried about Australia being a special case because we pay USD but with regional price hikes. I bought To The Moon while I was at the airport in Prague and it gave me all these errors but still actually completed the sale. When I was in NYC during the hurricane though any attempts I made to buy stuff failed, so that gives me pause.

I actually went from US to Taiwan. I still use my steam account. I did contact them via support and I got answered in 24 hours..they said its fine and gave me a link to use to browse the US site. Though I still use a physical address and card though.

never ended up buying it. I'll snatch it up next sales. The setting isnt as interesting to me as Gemini Rue or Resonance, but after those two great games i'd be a fool not to play it.

Cool cool. I'd agree about the setting not being as interesting, but I found the themes within the game to be really well done. It goes some interesting places.

It also has a great soundtrack:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k4KTn-C8To
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nL3Fg9ucrYI

wilflare

I actually went from US to Taiwan. I still use my steam account. I did contact them via support and I got answered in 24 hours..they said its fine and gave me a link to use to browse the US site. Though I still use a physical address and card though.

sounds like what I experienced. got to use a specific link

Nabs

I still need that last Blackwell game. I enjoyed the first 3. I should probably finish Gemini Rue sometime... I ran into some save issue a while back and never went back to it.

'grats Jim-Jams!

Ledsen

iumtAUDwtuSmY.PNG

Game is great. Played through it in one long sitting (left it running while I grabbed something to bite and whatnot so take 1-2 hours out of that) and got the two endings.

Not sure if I liked it more than Gemini Rue, but it's on par.

I had the same opinion at the beginning of the game. After a while I got tired of the silly script, boring characters and some really stupid "puzzles" towards the end of the game. I wouldn't recommend it, personally.

Salsa

I should probably finish Gemini Rue sometime....

It's a game a day for me with these guys. I think one of the things I like the most about them doing adventure games is that the lenght is just right. They're a throwback in every sense.

I had the same opinion at the beginning of the game. After a while I got tired of the silly script, boring characters and some really stupid "puzzles" towards the end of the game. I wouldn't recommend it, personally.

the story is really silly, but I didnt mind it. It's like playing an episode of a somewhat corny Sci Fi tv show

zkylon

zkylewd
also worth mentioning that I havent played any of the Blackwell series games and I own them all. That's probably next.
To be honest they're barely above Ghost Whisperer level of quality. The first one's set things up interestingly but really by game two (or maybe three) they dropped the only interesting mechanic in the series, though the main character in Blackwell 2 is pretty cool.

Bought 'To The Moon' yesterday. Meh, was expecting something more than just a weird jRPGuesqe adventure with dull dialogs and rather prolonged prelude. I heard rumors that game has a soul, great story and all that good stuff but I just can't force myself to keep playing it. Soundtrack is really great though.

Ledsen

Bought 'To The Moon' yesterday. Meh, was expecting something more than just a weird jRPGuesqe adventure with dull dialogs and rather prolonged prelude. I heard rumors that game has a soul, great story and all that good stuff but I just can't force myself to keep playing it. Soundtrack is really great though.

The writing is pretty bad but the story is very sweet and frankly moving.

Zizbuka

Banned
Made my first GMG purchase last night, Borderlands 2. Plugged the key into Steam and got "invalid code". Had to leave for work, so I couldn't pursue it. Does it sometimes take a while? Wouldn't think so, if they have a key Steam should too. How is GMG support if I have to go that route?

I am pretty sure Steam just auto detects your region based on your IP, you shouldn't have any issue with playing. For purchasing, you may need some American bank card though.

if you are moving there permanently, you probably have to submit to Steam some form of identification so they can change your Steam account to US (and enjoy US prices forever)

during my 5months stint there, they still insisted I change my region to SG to purchase from the store. (meaning /?cc=sg after the weblink). purchases only go through if I purchase via my own store. (so if you are not there for the long term, you probably have to do the /?=au or something)

just went into my emails. this is what they said

EDIT: my billing information is my PayPal which is based in SG. I did not try using my US debit card (had to set it up for my study exchange.. may work).

Awesome stuff, thanks a lot guys. It sounds like my issue with the US store is because I have an Australian credit card then. It works anywhere, but I can imagine them having some particular checks in there to stop people from using it to avoid regional publisher inflation.

Hopefully support will get back to me but my jimmies would be right rustled if I wasn't able to access my account for a year.

Crongrats dude.

hope this helps jjb! and congrats: D

AWWWWWWWWW man that's just ridiculously cute lol

'grats Jim-Jams!

Thanks folks! Already signed Blobby up for a GAF account, if they get banned before reaching member status I'll know they're truly my child.

kami_sama

Made my first GMG purchase last night, Borderlands 2. Plugged the key into Steam and got "invalid code". Had to leave for work, so I couldn't pursue it. Does it sometimes take a while? Wouldn't think so, if they have a key Steam should too. How is GMG support if I have to go that route?
Use GMG support. It takes a day or so.

Yaska

Only dealt with 'em once and it was pretty fast.

iumtAUDwtuSmY.PNG

Game is great. Played through it in one long sitting (left it running while I grabbed something to bite and whatnot so take 1-2 hours out of that) and got the two endings.

Not sure if I liked it more than Gemini Rue, but it's on par.

Cool. I am yet to finish Gemini Rue (which I really need to get to) but I'm looking forward to picking this one up. Glad it's good.

Sarcasm

Awesome stuff, thanks a lot guys. It sounds like my issue with the US store is because I have an Australian credit card then. It works anywhere, but I can imagine them having some particular checks in there to stop people from using it to avoid regional publisher inflation.

Hopefully support will get back to me but my jimmies would be right rustled if I wasn't able to access my account for a year.

Thanks folks! Already signed Blobby up for a GAF account, if they get banned before reaching member status I'll know they're truly my child.

Can't get a card in states? You don't need a credit card only..can use debit. Which you pretty much get standard with a saving account. Its not a credit card as in

1. You need the money in the account to use it, so if you have 5 bucks and item costs 10 - it won't go through
  2. It has no real credit score attached to it

Think of it as a gift card really.

kami_sama

Can't get a card in states? You don't need a credit card only..can use debit. Which you pretty much get standard with a saving account. Its not a credit card as in
  1. You need the money in the account to use it, so if you have 5 bucks and item costs 10 - it won't go through

It's a very strange thing reading you Americans about debit cards, we in Europe use almost exclusively these, credit cards are a lot more rare.

Sarcasm

It's a very strange thing reading you Americans about debit cards, we in Europe use almost exclusively these, credit cards are a lot more rare.

Well credit cards aren't rare. Debit cards come with every bank account since I was little. I mentioned this because foreigners depending on visa or whatever most of the time can't apply for credit cards but can open bank accounts.

wilflare

debit cards are awesome...
maybe I should link my UWCU account to Steam now.. and purchase via a VPN when needed...
(and I would truly not have anymore problems during Steam sales for EA games)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I swear, if I finish mission #2 in Dishonored one more time and it still tells me I've killed a hostile, I'm never playing the bloody game again.

zkylon

zkylewd
I swear, if I finish mission #2 in Dishonored one more time and it still tells me I've killed a hostile, I'm never playing the bloody game again.
You're better off getting your hands dirty early on so maybe you can forget about your OCD and just give up about a pacifist run on your first playthrough.

It helped me a bunch and I kinda wish I had chosen to do a violent playthrough instead of trying to be sneaky.

JaseC

You're better off getting your hands dirty early on so maybe you can forget about your OCD and just give up about a pacifist run on your first playthrough.

It helped me a bunch and I kinda wish I had chosen to do a violent playthrough instead of trying to be sneaky.

I've narrowed down the cause to two possibilities. It's either:

- The guard that's killed by two thugs just off the lower alleyway, but as this would be impossible to prevent stealthily, I'm leaning towards
- The hound you can set loose in the kennels is killing a patrolling guard, and this most indirect of indirect kills is being included in the tally

I'll give the ghost approach another shot.

zkylon

zkylewd
I've narrowed down the cause to two possibilities. It's either:

- The guard that's killed by two thugs just off the lower alleyway, but as this would be impossible to prevent stealthily, I'm leaning towards
- The hound you can set loose in the kennels is killing a patrolling guard, and this most indirect of indirect kills is being included in the tally

I'll give the ghost approach another shot.
Yeah those things always mess me up when trying to ghost through games. I guess the safest thing would be to blink past everyone but you seem to have ruled that out since you're just checking those two specific cases.

I'm leaning towards the second, because the first one doesn't make all that much sense, while you're kinda morally responsible for that dog's murder spree :p

JaseC

I'm leaning towards the second, because the first one doesn't make all that much sense ...

It only came to mind as not every guard in the game is evil -- in the back yard section of the level, if you assist the guard whose wife is about to be hauled away for alleged crimes of witchcraft/heresy, he offers you a combination code to a nearby safe. Having said that, if he's colluding with thugs, he's likely to be of ill character. :p

My stats from each level tell me that I didn't kill anyone. At all. Me so nice. Did I get the clean hands award? That's a big no.

zkylon

zkylewd
It only came to mind as not every guard in the game is evil -- in the back yard section of the level, if you assist the guard whose wife is about to be hauled away for alleged crimes of witchcraft/heresy, he offers you a combination code to a nearby safe. Having said that, if he's colluding with thugs, he's likely to be of ill character. :p
A man's morality is hereby decided by the little number at the end of the level :D

You know what doesn't involve complicated moral dilemmas? Non-pacifist runs! At least save, go on a rampage, then load, you're missing on 90% of the fun if you sneak in Dishonored.

It's actually my main problem with the game, it discourages stealth by making murder tons more fun.

My stats from each level tell me that I didn't kill anyone. At all. Me so nice. Did I get the clean hands award? That's a big no.
Planet_JASE
(Today, 07:06 AM)

JaseC
(Today, 07:01 AM)

Huh what's happening here are you opening chain stores or something

ArjanN

What part of setting loose a giant murder dog seemed pacifist to you? :p

A man's morality is hereby decided by the little number at the end of the level :D

You know what doesn't involve complicated moral dilemmas? Non-pacifist runs! At least save, go on a rampage, then load, you're missing on 90% of the fun if you sneak in Dishonored.

It's more fun to just murder your way through the first time and try out all the powers, and then go stealth/pacifist the second time. There'll be way less temptation to do dumb stuff the second time, and you'll have a better idea of the layout, etc.

oipic

Next month I'm moving the US to have a little jim-jam (or jane-jam) with my partner who is American.

Big news! Congrats mate, that's terrific. Sort of a hybrid open-world travel/adventure game, with RPG elements. Keep us posted!

I've just started Dishonored as well, beginning that mission now, and this (and the feedback since) concerns me - I was intending to shoot for a stealthy non-lethal play-through as well. Reconsidering now. Loved the first mission, though, and the game drips presence and atmosphere - I adore the art style, too (can't recall the last time I stopped to take so many screenshots).

ArjanN

I may have let it loose, but I didn't ask it to kill. :p

Heh. That reminds me of people being being surprised that in Deus Ex hacking gun turrets to fire at enemies counts against a no-kill run.

413X4B1%2BpmL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

"I just shot him. It was the bullets and and the fall that killed him."

JaseC

I've just started Dishonored as well, beginning that mission now, and this (and the feedback since) concerns me - I was intending to shoot for a stealthy non-lethal play-through as well. Reconsidering now. Loved the first mission, though, and the game drips presence and atmosphere - I adore the art style, too (can't recall the last time I stopped to take so many screenshots).

So long as you're overly careful and don't make any silly mistakes, stealth runs are quite fun. I'm also loving the art style, but the world texture quality leaves little to be desired, which is a shame; although the aesthetic is somewhat helpful in this regard, masking the ho-hum nature of the textures.

Heh. That reminds me of people being being surprised that in Deus Ex hacking gun turrets to fire at enemies counts against a no-kill run.

413X4B1%2BpmL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

"I just shot him. It was the bullets and and the fall that killed him."

I didn't actually think that the hound was killing anybody as I was clearing the area of the guards first, which is why it didn't occur to me until the second playthrough. My guess is that merely triggering the cage door to open is flagged a kill because that's what the event is supposed to lead to... or the hound snacks on the bodies of the unconscious.

MRORANGE

Next month I'm moving the US to have a little jim-jam (or jane-jam) with my partner who is American. Has anyone moved to another region with their Steam account? In the past I've had problems when I tried to buy things for that account from outside Australia, so I'm not totally confident that it's going to go smoothly.

Awesome new! Congrats!

Nillansan

I have also just finished up Gemini Rue, I really enjoyed the story and the puzzles. The combat was horrendous (luckily there is not much of it). While I appreciate Nuernberger's attempt to bring in some new elements to the adventure genre, it was quite poorly executed.

Personally I enjoyed the Blackwell series more though.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I've emailed Steam support to ask this, but considering they usually move at a speed which makes glaciers yell at them to hurry up I thought it might be a good idea to see if anyone here has any experience with this.

Next month I'm moving the US to have a little jim-jam (or jane-jam) with my partner who is American. Has anyone moved to another region with their Steam account? In the past I've had problems when I tried to buy things for that account from outside Australia, so I'm not totally confident that it's going to go smoothly.

Late response, but welcome to America buddy! If you ever end up in Michigan for some reason hit me up.

I have also just finished up Gemini Rue, I really enjoyed the story and the puzzles. The combat was horrendous (luckily there is not much of it). While I appreciate Nuernberger's attempt to bring in some new elements to the adventure genre, it was quite poorly executed.

I set it to the easiest difficulty, to mitigate any potential frustration from the firefights. I don't really mind them. I still need to finish GR, though. I've made it up to
the escape

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I bet jim-jam's first few months in the US are going to be hilarious. He'll be going around his house killing everything thinking it's poisonous and deadly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom