• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
On one hand, maybe this means I will be able to join servers without a 5-minute hard-disk grinding load.

On the other hand, maybe this means that every time TF2 updates, it will be like DOTA 2 and cause my hard disk to grind for 5 minutes anyway, while my computer freaks out.

On an unrelated note, I finally tried Gemini Rue. I wish there was an option to play windowed, and Fraps doesn't even seem to show the fps overlay for some reason, and I feel like the graphics may make me go blind...but the atmosphere is neat at least. :p I didn't really expect shooting elements in a point and click adventure game, but hopefully that's not too big a part of the game.

HoosTrax

I didn't really expect shooting elements in a point and click adventure game, but hopefully that's not too big a part of the game.
Heh...oh dear...well I shouldn't give anything away. In any case, you can turn down the difficulty of the shooty parts, to get them over with. Definitely not my favorite aspect of the game though.

Blizzard

Banned
You still have that issue with the hard drive?
I don't think it's as bad with other games as it was with DOTA 2, and it's probably some issue with my combination of Windows 7 and a 3-year-old hard drive that hasn't been defragmented in ages and is about to die or something.

But it wounded me. Ultimately I just need to build a new computer finally in addition to backing up everything.

Dr Dogg

I don't think it's as bad with other games as it was with DOTA 2, and it's probably some issue with my combination of Windows 7 and a 3-year-old hard drive that hasn't been defragmented in ages and is about to die or something.

But it wounded me. Ultimately I just need to build a new computer finally in addition to backing up everything.

I've been meaning to do this for years but I've been a bit on the lazy side. Now I've got Steam spread over 4 drives and they're all in a complete mess or down to less than 10% space remaining. Doesn't help that in trying to be a clever-clogs I ditched an optical drive on my last rebuild and the only one I have now has an ancient IDE connection.

Dr Dogg

I always cringe when people talk about hard drives and desktops. I'm super particular about those sorts of things.

I think I keep my box in the same tidy shape as an old woman does the cleaning. It's all neat and pristine on the surface but once you open up the cupboard and peek the drawers all manner of clutter rears its ugly head.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
If I ever have multiple hard drives with sub 10% free you might as well put me on suicide watch. I use like 200 Gb on my 2 Tb games drive.

Blizzard

Banned
While we're on the topic, do people have any particular defrag utilities that are recommended, assuming there's not a good one built into Windows?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
While we're on the topic, do people have any particular defrag utilities that are recommended, assuming there's not a good one built into Windows?
MyDefrag.

It's free, it uses Windows' defrag API (so there's no way it'll screw up, because Windows is controlling the actual reading and writing off blocks on the HD), you can close it mid defrag and continue it later, it's light, it doesn't have 8 billion useless options and helpers and system-wide resident programs.

You open it, you select which kind of defrag you want (OS defrag or DATA Defrag) and select which version of it you want (Daily? Weekly? Monthly?) and run. That's it.

I think it's the best one out there.

Dr Dogg

UltraDefrag but then again I'm probably not the best to ask as I hardly the most attentive pc cleaner.

ShaneB

So tempted to get it. Should I buy it?

Yes!

E0CjLrB.jpg

Nillansan

On an unrelated note, I finally tried Gemini Rue. I wish there was an option to play windowed, and Fraps doesn't even seem to show the fps overlay for some reason, and I feel like the graphics may make me go blind...but the atmosphere is neat at least. :p I didn't really expect shooting elements in a point and click adventure game, but hopefully that's not too big a part of the game.

Check the settings file (winsetup.exe), which is located in the game folder.

There is a Windowed option in all of the Blackwell games and I am pretty sure that Gemini Rue uses the same engine, so it would surprise if there isn't an option for windowed mode. I am on my laptop right now, but I will check later.

I recommend setting the Graphics Filter to '4X Nearest Neighbour'. I also disable 'Smooth Scaled Sprites'.

So tempted to get it. Should I buy it?
If you enjoy TBS then it's a must buy. If you enjoy great video games regardless of their genre then it's a must buy.

The only reason to avoid it would be if you completely hate turn based strategy games.

Also, I thought there was a demo. Try it before you buy it!

Bought 'To The Moon' yesterday. Meh, was expecting something more than just a weird jRPGuesqe adventure with dull dialogs and rather prolonged prelude. I heard rumors that game has a soul, great story and all that good stuff but I just can't force myself to keep playing it. Soundtrack is really great though.

To the Moon is as far removed from a JRPG as can be, where do you get that feeling, the visuals alone?

I loved it almost from the start, but still I can understand people not loving its first hour or so, it does have a bit of a slow start. I would recommend you keep playing because it's a scarce four hours long or so, and the payload is definitely more than worth it.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
No, 1 and 3 were good. It's pretty much Robotron in 3D. They don't make them like that anymore.
They don't make them like that anymore because the games are probably insanely boring to make. I'm surprised they didn't just put together a automated level generator for SS3. It would have put out levels on par with what we got.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
They don't make them like that anymore because the games are probably insanely boring to make. I'm surprised they didn't just put together a automated level generator for SS3. It would have put out levels on par with what we got.
The great thing about a digital marketplace is that developers can cater to narrow tastes and still be profitable. I'm not a fan of farming sims but I'm not going to disparage anyone for purchasing one or making one. It's not like they're crowding the marketplace. I'm actually pretty happy that niche releases like that are allowed to exist and thrive somewhere.

Speaking of niche, Ace of Spades isn't half bad.

wutwutwut

if you are moving there permanently, you probably have to submit to Steam some form of identification so they can change your Steam account to US (and enjoy US prices forever)
If you are moving somewhere permanently you will presably get a credit card with a billing address there. That's all you need to buy stuff from the local Steam store. (Source: I moved permanently 6 months ago.)

Salsa

when does that sony thing start?

I kinda want to watch, but im too out of touch with the consoles

nvm, wario thread has a countdown

sleepykyo

This isn't 100% Steam related but I decided to go back to Mass Effect 3 to finally push through the ending and found out that your Galactic Readiness decays over time. I guess I missed that little detail. So all the multiplayer and datapad nonsense I did last time I played it was for nothing. The game punishes you for taking breaks.

So yeah, I guess this is where games as a service seems really fucking obnoxious. I hope whatever newfangled online features Valve comes up with for Half-Life 3 (lol) or whatever their next single player game is doesn't look anything like this.

Seriously? Mass Effect 3 just isn't that compelling a game (at least up to Quarian event opening up). The event stages are extremely tiny and any sense of urgency is undermined by side quests that are supposed to raise the overall military strength.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Everytime I get to Hong Kong I have to take a break from it. Friggin long game, love it though.
I'm at
Paris
now, just made my way into
the secret nightclub, looking for the daughter of a late Silhouette member (I can't recall their names.)

You're right, I thought
Hong Kong would be the end of the game, but then there was New York again, and the ship, and now Paris. I wonder what will come next, maybe Washington?
Great game so far, I wish I had played it in 2001 so I could now consider it a classic -though I still think it is, 12 years LTTP.

Nabs

There is no daily deal. What if Sony bought Steam? It's over guys.

edit: it's Gamemaker Studio :( maybe next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom