• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Maybe I was thinking of this? Not sure. But I definitely recall seeing some kind of 75% off promo on CoD4 a couple years ago and thinking "nah, I can pass on it for now, it'll go that low again".

tumblr_mibdywBD0l1r0t0epo5_400.gif

I'd be surprised if the game is ever sold below the $9.99 price point. That cow isn't going to milk itself! :p

1-D_FTW

The only thing that interested me during the ps4 conference yesterday was the streaming/sharing tech, and I imagine that will come to Steam eventually, as it is already in place with Origin (though I have never used it, or really hear much about it. lol)

At least now with the specs out I can start planning on whatever to get when I build a new gaming pc for stuff that will at least run everything next gen with no worry.

I love the sharing bit. And the latest Nvidia 6xx cards already have video encoding chips built into it. I suspect, though, to have it truly be "free" in terms of resources, it needs to be stored in VRAM. Seems like something we might see when mainstream cards have a lot more it.

Dr Dogg

The only thing that interested me during the ps4 conference yesterday was the streaming/sharing tech, and I imagine that will come to Steam eventually, as it is already in place with Origin (though I have never used it, or really hear much about it. lol)

At least now with the specs out I can start planning on whatever to get when I build a new gaming pc for stuff that will at least run everything next gen with no worry.

Yeah the only thing that tickled my fancy was Watch Dogs and after the stream finished on Giant Bomb I think Brad mentioned the footage they showed was from the PC version anyway. PS4 is still on my radar, just not a priority as of yet. Regards to streaming The Showdown Effect has hooks into Twitch that are quite simple, just put in your username and password and there's no frills button to stream. Hopefully Valve try to do something similar but I can see this causing all sorts of headaches with copyright infringements and so on.

Blizzard

Banned
Even if I wanted to stream, I doubt I could considering my upload rate is horrible compared to download. I don't know if that's common with cable, but I feel like infrastructure and/or internet plans have a good ways to go before that sort of thing becomes widespread.

JaseC

Even if I wanted to stream, I doubt I could considering my upload rate is horrible compared to download. I don't know if that's common with cable, but I feel like infrastructure and/or internet plans have a good ways to go before that sort of thing becomes widespread.

It is. (Well, not "horrible", but "asymmetrical".)

1-D_FTW

Isn't it common with everything? I wonder how much you actually need for uploads though. Probably doable with a typical cable modem (assuming it's not the beginner tier) as long as the resolution isn't too bad.

JaseC

Isn't it common with everything? I wonder how much you actually need for uploads though. Probably doable with a typical cable modem (assuming it's not the beginner tier) as long as the resolution isn't too bad.

A direct point-to-point fibre connection is symmetrical, although most rollouts (such as Australia's NBN) opt for a PON approach, which is notably cheaper and asymmetrical (though given hardware upgrades and fibre's virtually unlimited capacity, it's far less of an issue).

Dr Dogg

I think there is no chance of streaming anything that isn't going to be heavily compressed over an ADSL connection. Here in the UK the average upload speed is just under 1Mbit p/sec for an ADSL connection and around 3Mbit p/sec for fiber (still got copper wire from the exchange in most cases). Then when you look at what the transfer rate of a bluray film is, around 40Mbit p/sec and upto around 56Mbit p/sec it's going to be a while yet for this to become common. I think we'll see a lot more focus on uploading captured footage than live streaming.

JaseC

I think there is no chance of streaming anything that isn't going to be heavily compressed over an ADSL connection. Here in the UK the average upload speed is just under 1Mbit p/sec for an ADSL connection and around 3Mbit p/sec for fiber (still got copper wire from the exchange in most cases). Then when you look at what the transfer rate of a bluray film is, around 40Mbit p/sec and upto around 56Mbit p/sec it's going to be a while yet for this to become common. I think we'll see a lot more focus on uploading captured footage than live streaming.

I upload at ~38KBps because I'm stuck on an exchange serviced only by the incumbent telco and as such my plan is artificially limited to 384Kbit up, and of course my ISP is awful, so I rarely get full speeds to international servers. It took me around half an hour to upload the ~43MB AssCreed 3 video I recorded the other week.

Dr Dogg

I upload at ~38KBps because I'm stuck on an exchange serviced only by the incumbent telco and as such my plan is artificially limited to 384Kbit up, and of course my ISP is awful, so I rarely get full speeds to international servers. It took me around half an hour to upload the ~43MB AssCreed 3 video I recorded the other week.

That's a teeny bit higher that my pathetic upload speed of 342Kbit. What really gets my goat is that we've just moved, reasonable area, so quite settled but due to being away from the suburbs aren't be going to see an upgrade in broadband infrastructure anytime soon due to next to no demand. Every time I complain to my ISP about the quality of their service they try to flog me their "enhanced" service which does nothing to boost the upload or download speed but make the latency a smidgen bit less. Still as long as Steam's servers in Ukraine are rocket powered I'll live.

JaseC

A couple of you have been wondering if you can get War of the Roses on sale.

Here it is for $3.74 after coupon.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008YIJCAO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I snapped it up earlier at $5, which is still a great price. I was expecting to have to eventually take part in a Steam four-pack at 66% off the old base price, which would've averaged out to about $8 per head.

That's a teeny bit higher that my pathetic upload speed of 342Kbit. What really gets my goat is that we've just moved, reasonable area, so quite settled but due to being away from the suburbs aren't be going to see an upgrade in broadband infrastructure anytime soon due to next to no demand. Every time I complain to my ISP about the quality of their service they try to flog me their "enhanced" service which does nothing to boost the upload or download speed but make the latency a smidgen bit less. Still as long as Steam's servers in Ukraine are rocket powered I'll live.

I've read that the exchange in a nearby town is suffering greatly from congestion, but the incumbent won't bother lighting up any of the dark fibre because "the NBN is coming", even though the area is still several months away from going live. Selling Telstra is one of the stupidest decisions an Australian federal government has ever made.

JaseC

I bought COD4 for $5 a year or so ago.

Nice. I'd been waiting for it to be available on the cheap for a while now and didn't realise until recently that its Steam US price has been $20 for quite some time. I would've picked it up during the recent Winter Sale had I thought to investigate.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
War of the Roses bought. I'm a Chivalry player, but that's not enough to stop me from trying another potentially good medieval murder simulator. The deep customization and rank stuff sounds cool.

nexen

Nice. I'd been waiting for it to be available on the cheap for a while now and didn't realise until recently that its Steam US price has been $20 for quite some time. I would've picked it up during the recent Winter Sale had I thought to investigate.

It is rare but it does happen. Usually it seems Amazon cuts it down pretty low.
I snagged both COD4 and COD MW2 for cheap. Still waiting for the others though :\

To the Moon is as far removed from a JRPG as can be, where do you get that feeling, the visuals alone?

I loved it almost from the start, but still I can understand people not loving its first hour or so, it does have a bit of a slow start. I would recommend you keep playing because it's a scarce four hours long or so, and the payload is definitely more than worth it.

Yeah, was talking about aesthetic point of view. Gonna keep playing, not sure when though.

Relax.MX

War of the Roses bought. I'm a Chivalry player, but that's not enough to stop me from trying another potentially good medieval murder simulator. The deep customization and rank stuff sounds cool.

Me too but I'm gonna wait for impressions(and for the steam sales of today)

JaseC

It is rare but it does happen. Usually it seems Amazon cuts it down pretty low.
I snagged both COD4 and COD MW2 for cheap. Still waiting for the others though :\

I bought a "grey market" key for MW2 at launch and ultimately regretted it -- too much for too little. Despite the key being intended for Russia, the game is still on my account; I assume I survived Acti's cleansing because I didn't touch the MP.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Picked up Nights for 3.74. I'm sure GMG will have a better deal, but no matter how many times I try and spam them, they reject my money. So they don't exist for me.

So much for this update making Steam zippier. When I entered the code, Steam literally shit the bed and froze for a good minute.
Fuck, I don't want to buy more games!

...I'll get Nights when I get home tonight :(

Picked up Nights for 3.74. I'm sure GMG will have a better deal, but no matter how many times I try and spam them, they reject my money. So they don't exist for me.

So much for this update making Steam zippier. When I entered the code, Steam literally shit the bed and froze for a good minute.
Yep last night steam was its same old shitty slow self. Don't know what happened, it was going so well.

Tizoc

EDIT: Remaining give aways:

Is there a coupon code active for Amazon right now? Binary Domain for less than $5? Good price either way

CAGROCKS should give u a 25% discount, but you can only use it once, so you can't use the code twice to buy 2 games with a discount.

nexen

I bought a "grey market" key for MW2 at launch and ultimately regretted it -- too much for too little. Despite the key being intended for Russia, the game is still on my account; I assume I survived Acti's cleansing because I didn't touch the MP.

Yeah I only ever bought one grey market game (wasn't COD) but I regret it because I don't want to put my steam account at risk. I have far too much invested in it.

dreamfall

Sheesh- Amazon is really having a massive sale! Picked up Dead Spaces on Origin- wish it was Steam, but pretty amazing deal.

May pick up the Thief collection for the Daily at $6.74!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom