• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Steam's been giving me a lot of errors over the past few days, primarily relating to staying signed into friends and also giving me error messages when trying to trade with others (I don't have any trade bans in place that I am aware of.) I read that this can be related to cookies in the browser and/or client so I reinstalled steam and cleared my settings for my web browser. Steam, as it always has, believes my current machine to now be a "new device" (it's not, it's the same one I've always used) and has decided to completely prevent me from trading items for the next 7 days. I understand Steam has been self-destructing on a semi-regular basis recently, so that's probably the root cause of my original issue, but my question is, I also have 2 other devices that are authorised for Steam (prior to this incident), will those devices be allow to perform trading or is the 7 day trading restriction applied to the entire account?

The trading restriction is account-based. Signing in on a new device shouldn't impose a trading restriction if you've had Steam Guard enabled for more than two weeks, so submit a ticket and be sure to explain your situation thoroughly (though regardless of the where the fault lies you may be asked to just ride it out).

Edit: To be clear, Valve says that the "cooldown" shouldn't affect devices within the same "household" (i.e. those that share the same IP address), but I've since signed in from quite a few new devices at mates' places and haven't had an issue.

That made me curious and...

Is this actually true? They claim that this version is missing some effects and lighting from the GC/Wii versions. I thought the PS3 HD version and this one were based on the original GC version and not on the PS2 port, which did lack those features.
This new PC version is based off the 360 HD port (which itself was based off the Wii/GC versions). The console HD ports were missing some shader effects on some enemies, but that's about the extent of it, it's to be seen if that will change for this version.

And man is that linked post hard to read for more than a couple sentences.

Jawmuncher

This new PC version is based off the 360 HD port (which itself was based off the Wii/GC versions). The console HD ports were missing some shader effects on some enemies, but that's about the extent of it, it's to be seen if that will change for this version.

And man is that linked post hard to read for more than a couple sentences.

The console ports also sadly didn't have the kickass controls from the gamecube version.
But I guess that's due to how those controls worked compared to the GC. Remember reading something like that. Regardless since this'll have KB&M that's a non issue.

I actually uninstalled Dark Souls earlier this morning. Not that it's a bad game, the combat is really good so far, but it hasn't really clicked with me yet, and I can't see myself beating it before GFWL shuts down or the game goes Steamworks, whichever comes first.

I'll install it again whenever one of those two happens. I'm not far into the game, so losing the save file won't be a big deal.

Crub

What's up with the complete lack of modern paddle controllers? I figured there would be a niche market for this. :(

The only one I was able to find was a super expensive controller from a Japanese manufacturer:
15-Horizontal-Controller.jpg

Terra_Ex

The trading restriction is account-based. Signing in on a new device shouldn't impose a trading restriction if you've had Steam Guard enabled for more than two weeks, so submit a ticket and be sure to explain your situation thoroughly (though regardless of the where the fault lies you may be asked to just ride it out).

Edit: To be clear, Valve says that the "cooldown" shouldn't affect devices within the same "household" (i.e. those that share the same IP address), but I've since signed in from quite a few new devices at mates' places and haven't had an issue.
Thanks, I've never had steam guard disabled since it was first introduced, so I'll submit a ticket and hope for the best.

Deques

I found this PSA, regarding South Park for cheaper than the Brazilian price which is around 30 euros. Just be careful that you don't buy a gift that becomes region restricted.

Anteater

Mafia 2 is one of those games I've came back to every 5 months or so (since release) for another playthrough. I don't know what it is about it but I enjoy every playthrough just as much as the last.

I think the pacing is kind of decent for the story stuff, it's kind of relaxing to play and each chapter is quite short, so I keep going back to complete a chapter each time.

ngt

I need to find out what region this is then....

I used a script and checked prices of South Park in all regions on the two country codes list taken from wiki. Couldn't find any region with the price in range of $20, only $60, $55, €40 or £40. So either my list lacked a region, people in RU use some trick to get a ROW version or they scam people with that new pre-order refund policy.

FloatOn

Retro City Rampage is not the greatest game but I can't help but be amused at all the references.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to power through this to the end though. I'm only at an hour in and it's already proving to be tiresome.

Turfster

Retro City Rampage is not the greatest game but I can't help but be amused at all the references.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to power through this to the end though. I'm only at an hour in and it's already proving to be tiresome.

That was pretty much my problem with it too. Nice idea, extremely tiring execution and middling gameplay.

Zafir

sp9fkaz.jpg

tumblr_inline_mk6d3cevyfal.gif

Nice try, Ubi.

Edit: I bought a ROW copy from this guy for $20, if anyone else is curious. Cheaper than the offerings in the BST thread (iHEO's profit margin is, frankly, ridiculous).
Buying one of those, is there likely to be issues on launch though, ie being unable to launch the game?

JaseC

I used a script and checked prices of South Park in all regions on the two country codes list taken from wiki. Couldn't find any region with the price in range of $20, only $60, $55, €40 or £40. So either my list lacked a region, people in RU use some trick to get a ROW version or they scam people with that new pre-order refund policy.

The refund system, even though it should, doesn't currently apply to gift purchases, plus as ussjtrunks' post shows, the RU sub is clearly labelled as such.

Kiru

Speaking of Playfire rewards. I can't transfer what I earned. Both emails are the same. Dunno what I can do other than contacting support...

playfirelbsru.png

Somehow people are using a glitch to get ROW copies for the RU price see here (top comment)

Not sure how much trust I'd put into that.

Anyways, EVERY version of South Park seems to have a onlyallowrunincountries tag, and there is one specifically for Germany. Looks like that's one game I'll never bother with.

Edit: Or does the ROW (from US for example) version not have any region restrictions? Getting that should let me play it uncensored?
Looks like it, sorry for the misinformation.

Zafir

Somehow people are using a glitch to get ROW copies for the RU price see here (top comment)

Not sure how much trust I'd put into that.

Anyways, EVERY version of South Park seems to have a onlyallowrunincountries tag, and there is one specifically for Germany. Looks like that's one game I'll never bother with.
Ah, not going to risk it then. I'll just put up with a uplay key from retail. Not paying £15 for the benefit of steam.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
sp9fkaz.jpg

tumblr_inline_mk6d3cevyfal.gif

Nice try, Ubi.

Edit: I bought a ROW copy from this guy for $20, if anyone else is curious. Cheaper than the offerings in the BST thread (iHEO's profit margin is, frankly, ridiculous).

Got a ROW myself for 12 keys from a seller as well. It's always a risk but for less than £20 it's well worth at least trying, for me anyway.

JaseC

Ah, not going to risk it then. I'll just put up with a uplay key from retail. Not paying £15 for the benefit of steam.

There is no risk. Ubi couldn't impose additional region restrictions upon the current ROW subs without screwing over existing pre-purchasers and it doesn't have the power to revoke existing pre-orders.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
so, what is the cheapest way to buy a ROW / germany compatible version of South Park at the moment?

Xanathus

Why is everyone preordering that South Park game in the first place without even knowing whether the gameplay is fun at all? There's no reason to buy it day one.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Why is everyone preordering that South Park game in the first place without even knowing whether the gameplay is fun at all? There's no reason to buy it day one.

I love Obsidian, I've enjoyed near enough all their games and I love South Park. It's a must for me.

Ryne

I'll believe in you JaseC!

I still want the collector's edition though.

Edit: I got it for 19 (~22 Canadian), and it's retailing for 64.99+tax (73 dollars in monopoly money) up here. Good savings.

HoosTrax

Now you're seeing why big publishers like to invest in mainstream IPs, yes? Easy money to be had off fans of said franchise.

Cheddahz

Banned

Obsidian and it's one of my most anticipated games in quite some time (the gameplay looks fun and I'm a fan out South Park). The creators of South Park are also directly working on the game and giving it the treatment it deserves

JaseC

The one-two punch of a pinch of licensed game and a sprinkle of pre-purchase incentive is too alluring. But having said that I wouldn't be diving in if I were forced to pay more than $40.

Lain

Wait you can make that emulator show what games you're playing on it on Steam? How do you do that if you don't mind me asking?

All you have to do is add PPSSPP to Steam, set it up to autoload the game you want to play in the path option, rename PPSSPP in Steam to the game's name and done.

That made me curious and...

Is this actually true? They claim that this version is missing some effects and lighting from the GC/Wii versions. I thought the PS3 HD version and this one were based on the original GC version and not on the PS2 port, which did lack those features.

Looks like it's lacking the Depth of Field effect and some bump mapping : http://residentevilmodding.boards.n...evil-ultimate-hd-edition?page=7&scrollTo=2533

I think I read somewhere that they're dependent on GC hardware so it's hard to do them on other platforms than GC/Wii. If the DOF in game is as subtle as in the screenshot with the crowd I don't think it'll be a big loss though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom