• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derrick01

Banned
Same. Somehow the AAA games industry managed to pack in a bunch of interesting games in Q1.

The rest of the year is probably downhill from there then.

Yeah most of the games I'm looking forward to in the 1st half of this year are last gen games like SP, Castlevania, FF 10/10-2 collection and possibly even Dark Souls. The next gen AAA games that we know about so far are really unappealing on every level, with the exception of Witcher 3.

For the rest of the year I'm putting a lot of hope in the kickstarter crpgs. Wasteland 2 and Dead State better not disappoint!

Khronico

SteamGAF:

Have you ever just booted up a random backlog game on a whim and end up realizing it's awesome?

I just did that last night with AI War. I only thought I would jump in for a few mins, see whats up, and quit, but once I started to learn the mechanics, I couldn't stop playing. It's almost like a galaxy wide game of chess that pits you against a highly intelligent, extremely customizable, and scarily unpredictable AI. What a fantastic little game.

graywolf323

Anyone wanna be steam friends? I need more people with stick of truth in my feed (currently only at 2)

http://steamcommunity.com/id/xXxDarkGaymerxXx/

sent you a friend request

How do I find out if the copy of Stick of Truth I traded for is a RoW copy?

well in my account it shows up as

Licenses and subscriptions

Item
South Park™: The Stick of Truth™ w/Ultimate Fellowship Pack (Preorder)

Acquisition Method
Gift/Guest Pass

Anustart

Is there a way to make Dark Souls camera control not suck ass on pc? I hate controlling this thing with my mouse, it's unbelievably terrible and hurts the experience a ton.

Thanks! Must have somehow gotten in there when I wasn't paying attention.

Yeah it happens to me from time to time too. I think it is something to do with ES letting you view games in other regions and then it getting confused?

Anyway not a big deal.

As a bit of an experiment, I decided to post on the steam forums. While this may seem like a crazy thing to do, I've been playing Prison Architect and since it is early access, I thought I'd write down some thoughts.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/233450/discussions/0/558746745835105788/

Results were...mixed. Do other people think it is fair enough to discuss/request things for an early access game? I figured that was kind of the point.

zychi

Banned
i really want south park, but i know its going to be filled with bugs, and its probably going to be a uplay game. i'm going to wait til its under $25 to get it, and i'm not gonna risk the region stuff

Just had a stork deliver a dead baby in Scribblenauts. I feel kind of awful.

Yeah it happens to me from time to time too. I think it is something to do with ES letting you view games in other regions and then it getting confused?

Anyway not a big deal.

As a bit of an experiment, I decided to post on the steam forums. While this may seem like a crazy thing to do, I've been playing Prison Architect and since it is early access, I thought I'd write down some thoughts.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/233450/discussions/0/558746745835105788/

Results were...mixed. Do other people think it is fair enough to discuss/request things for an early access game? I figured that was kind of the point.

Suggestions are more than reasonable and what would generally be expected to be given to an early access game. What is more silly are the people who go in and post "lol unfinished garbage", etc. I need to play more Prison Architect, really like Introversion but I kind of pushed it aside.

Caerith

Is there a way to make Dark Souls camera control not suck ass on pc? I hate controlling this thing with my mouse, it's unbelievably terrible and hurts the experience a ton.

Under the options (in-game), there's some toggle for automatic camera something something.

jediyoshi

Is there a way to find out if South Park is RoW while it's still a gift in my inventory?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Sparkle_Motion/inventory/#753

You'll get a fat warning if something is region restricted for you

G8y5biM.png

zkylon

zkylewd
woot beaten xenosaga!

what a weird game, usually games reward your gameplay with cutscenes but this game was the other way around, and you had to cherish the little time of gameplay you got every time I thought I wasn't gonna make it

eventually tho, you get some cool dungeons and time to experiment with the battle system and I end up enjoying it a lot. didn't even use the shitty mechs.

so well, ended up enjoying it a lot, I'm just impressed with the scale of the game, the amount of characters and cutscenes and unique terms and all of that crap is insane. they're just setting up so many mysteries and plotlines, it's just an epic all around.

gonna boot up ep 2 ooo yeaa

DukeBobby

Yay, finished all the missions in Hitman: Contracts with a Silent Assassin rating. It was surprisingly easy.

Now to do the same in Hitman 2. I think the only missions I didn't get a Silent Assassin rating in were those fucking Japanese ones.

Kanokare

woot beaten xenosaga!

what a weird game, usually games reward your gameplay with cutscenes but this game was the other way around, and you had to cherish the little time of gameplay you got every time I thought I wasn't gonna make it

eventually tho, you get some cool dungeons and time to experiment with the battle system and I end up enjoying it a lot. didn't even use the shitty mechs.

so well, ended up enjoying it a lot, I'm just impressed with the scale of the game, the amount of characters and cutscenes and unique terms and all of that crap is insane. they're just setting up so many mysteries and plotlines, it's just an epic all around.

Nice :) Episode 1 was a classic JRPG and I loved it for that. About Episode 2 feedback,
I enjoyed it but not as much as Episode 1 or 3. It felt really lacking in the game play and they shouldn't have changed so much of the battle system. Story was still pretty good though.
And those Episode 2 trailers are my all time favorites.

HD versions on Steam, make it happen!

zychi

Banned
i was obsessed with the xenosaga series when it came out. 2 was such a disappointment compared to 1, but 3 fixed that. even if it felt rushed

zkylon

zkylewd
Nice :) Episode 1 was a classic JRPG and I loved it for that. About Episode 2 feedback,
I enjoyed it but not as much as Episode 2. It felt really lacking in the game play and they shouldn't have changed so much of the battle system. Story was still pretty good though.
And those Episode 2 trailers are my all time favorites.

HD versions on Steam, make it happen!
yea I know ep 2 is supposed to be the rotten one, but I hear it's fairly short (at least compared to ep 1, which took me about 40 hours and change) and from what I played it back in the day it wasn't so bad.

I'm now wondering if I should try xenoblade on emulator too. does it have any connection to xenogears and xenosaga? I find I get really excited whenever crazy otherworld fei or elly pop up

Gvaz

Banned
woot beaten xenosaga!

Oh god please dont. Ep 2 is so fucking terrible.
>new voice actors are shite
>story kind of goes nowhere
>graphics are better but the content is altogether lame
>most importantly the combat is nothing alike and at times it's frustrating unless you've played the game already

Just watch all the cutscenes and go play 3, it's really good (and the mech battles are really really badass and fun)

Too bad namcobandai is terrible and shit all over it.

Cheddahz

Banned
I'm now wondering if I should try xenoblade on emulator too. does it have any connection to xenogears and xenosaga? I find I get really excited whenever crazy otherworld fei or elly pop up

The only thing they really share is that Xeno is in the title of all of them and they revolve around mechs, but you should still play it

Gvaz

Banned
yea I know ep 2 is supposed to be the rotten one, but I hear it's fairly short (at least compared to ep 1, which took me about 40 hours and change) and from what I played it back in the day it wasn't so bad.

I beat Xenosaga 2 apparently in 31:17 according to my pcsx2 savefile. That was having beat it before and knowing how to do everything. Xenosaga 1 took me like...50 hours the first time through. I forget how long it was the second time. 3 is pretty short.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
thought russian cd keys were frowned upon here, see the faqs.

Just to follow up on this from a GAF rules POV:
EviLore asked that people not post links to Russian CD Key sites that, buy and resell CD keys. For a while there was an epidemic of Russian sites that either bought or stole massive numbers of retail keys and resold them day one. These keys typically required a pretty convoluted mix of VPN activation, and dealing with sketchy support services. I suspect that most of the issues were more a product of confusion than fraud, but regardless it was made clear by the head honcho to drop that stuff. This was several years ago.

This should not be taken to mean that people can't mention or take part in trading with Russian Steam members who use cross-region gifting to pass on price savings to full-price countries. That wasn't the intent of the rules ruling.

:)

zkylon

zkylewd
Oh god please dont. Ep 2 is so fucking terrible.
>new voice actors are shite
>story kind of goes nowhere
>graphics are better but the content is altogether lame
>most importantly the combat is nothing alike and at times it's frustrating unless you've played the game already

Just watch all the cutscenes and go play 3, it's really good (and the mech battles are really really badass and fun)

Too bad namcobandai is terrible and shit all over it.
nah I don't like watching cutscenes like that

also tbh the combat in xenosaga 1 was a slog except when fighting bosses. bosses were really fun, even if they're sometimes pretty bullshitty, because they force you to throw a lot of buffs around and do boost chains and stuff like that, it's pretty cool. reminds me of persona a bit.

so yea I don't mind if it's not so good, I'll miss kos-mos' voice but shion was pretty annoying so I could use the change.

The only thing they really share is that Xeno is in the title of all of them and they revolve around mechs, but you should still play it
well, maybe there was some thematic similarities or something like that, not necessarily direct ties in the story.

I beat Xenosaga 2 apparently in 31:17 according to my pcsx2 savefile. That was having beat it before and knowing how to do everything. Xenosaga 1 took me like...50 hours the first time through. I forget how long it was the second time. 3 is pretty short.
well I sped up a lot of the walking around because the lack of music made it pretty un-fun so it's even less than that. I didn't 100% the game but got most segment files and got all the robot parts and beat all the optional bosses so I went through it pretty fast.

I'm sure I'll just frameskip the annoyances in 2 and be done with it in no time

Copons

Holy mother of god, I wanted to try setting Witcher 2 at Ultra, with everything maxed out (just to see if I noticed some differences with when I tried it on my laptop, 640x480 and evereryting disabled :D ), and it totally kills
well, not really :D
my GTX 780, with 30fps in game to 15fps during cutscenes, at least in the first part of the tutorial. Actual first game I tried to go this low (the other most heavy game I own is Crysis 2 that runs perfectly at 60fps no matter what).
Now this make me think: what the hell of a rig does one need to play Witcher 2 at 60fps??

Holy mother of god, I wanted to try setting Witcher 2 at Ultra, with everything maxed out (just to see if I noticed some differences with when I tried it on my laptop, 640x480 and evereryting disabled :D ), and it totally kills
my GTX 780, with 30fps in game to 15fps during cutscenes, at least in the first part of the tutorial. Actual first game I tried to go this low (the other most heavy game I own is Crysis 2 that runs perfectly at 60fps no matter what).
Now this make me think: what the hell of a rig does one need to play Witcher 2 at 60fps??
Turn ubersampling off, although it still shouldn't run like that. Even with ubersampling on I get a pretty steady 30 FPS on a GTX670, i53570K. With it off I get 60 FPS. Reinstall your drivers?

Edit: Just remembered but I think the Witcher 2 has a cutscene bug that makes them run poorly.

zkylon

zkylewd
Probably

I own every Xeno game, but I've only played Xenogears....
well I don't see any jrpg ever being better than xenogears so at least you played the best one ;)

you'll probably need to videocards to play that game on ultra

like the ubersampling thing the game does I think effectively renders the game like 4 times?

Gvaz

Banned
so yea I don't mind if it's not so good, I'll miss kos-mos' voice but shion was pretty annoying so I could use the change.

KosMos having a different voice is terrible but not having shion's voice is almost as bad imo. The new one is weird and sounds nothing like her and I don't like it.

Witcher 2 will run at 60fps on a 780, if ubersampling is off. Ubersampling is basically just running it at 2x the res anyways, more or less.

zkylon

zkylewd
KosMos having a different voice is terrible but not having shion's voice is almost as bad imo. The new one is weird and sounds nothing like her and I don't like it.
well to be fair the voiceacting won't get any better if I watch it on youtube :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom