• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Dogg

I see what you're saying. That's ridiculous. :lol

I'd think it'd be the same as the x360 version, but I see why there's the possibility for it to be different.

Well at least GFWL will be dead soon and for me fondly remembered as a drunk uncle who's being a bit rude and overstayed his welcome at Christmas.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Spelunky is such a funny game to me. I can complete Super Meat Boy at a 100%, classic ZX Spectrum platformers are no challenge to me, Spelunker I've even seen all stages for, and Super Mario Bros 2 (aka Lost Levels) is my favourite game in the franchise, and yet I'm lucky to get just to the jungle with Spelunky on the Daily Challenge.

I know why of course, I want everything I can possibly collect no matter how foolish and ultimately deadly that choice turns out to be, but I can't help myself.

First time using Modbot, clearing out some of my inventory:

First time and it all went smoothly, good job. Did better than my first time with missing images.

dfs, sdfg right back at you for Botanicula

Well I've seen there's already a lot of these floating around. Might as well add some more for you guys. Have fun.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Sid Meiers Ace Patrol: Pacific Skies -- MB-6F183C4B78C4EE77 - Taken by animlboogy. 2 entrants total.
Sid Meiers Ace Patrol -- MB-A2EC82775ACAD00A - Taken by Reg. 5 entrants total.

t1391545717z1.png

Diedac

another ones

ModBot said:
Instructions for Diedac:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Sid Meiers Ace Patrol Pacific Skies -- MB-870AB47EA57F9D2D - Taken by bronson
Sid Meiers Ace Patrol -- MB-050DE4E21FE81D10 - Taken by adriano999

Looks like a great bundle.

Not an extremely big fan of the Civilization games, but perhaps now I'll give them a chance :D

Yeah, for people who never played Civ, the bundle is daylight robbery (as long as you ignore the $15 tier, Brave New World has been close to $5 on its own before).

I hope someone enjoys this :)
ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.

Sid Meier's Civilization V -- MB-9F249BB7677F4E36 - Taken by Saty. 6 entrants total.

t1391545942z1.png

Arthea

Yeah, for people who never played Civ, the bundle is daylight robbery (as long as you ignore the $15 tier, Brave New World has been close to $5 on its own before).

As far as I know, and I was following BNW price closely (just bought couple of days ago), it hasn't been close to $5 yet.

Spelunky is such a funny game to me. I can complete Super Meat Boy at a 100%, classic ZX Spectrum platformers are no challenge to me, Spelunker I've even seen all stages for, and Super Mario Bros 2 (aka Lost Levels) is my favourite game in the franchise, and yet I'm lucky to get just to the jungle with Spelunky on the Daily Challenge.

I know why of course, I want everything I can possibly collect no matter how foolish and ultimately deadly that choice turns out to be, but I can't help myself.

First time and it all went smoothly, good job. Did better than my first time with missing images.

dfs, sdfg right back at you for Botanicula

It's all about mitigating risk.
I played it carefully last night and managed to elude a ghost to go back and pick up a shotgun I left while I was carrying the damsel to the exit. I also managed to make the run an achievement run for killing 12+ shopkeepers in a single game. I ended up with almost 100k at the beginning of 3-1 with just about every item in the game, 72 bombs, and 10 ropes. Granted, I was in the zone, but it was partially due to mitigating my risks and playing smart.

Now when I got to the temple, I killed anubis out of a vendetta, was mad that I couldn't unlock the city of gold cause I had missed dying purposefully somewhere in the ice caves, and so i decided to kill everything I could with the scepter. Too late did I realize that the homing rings of purple death can immediately do a 180 and hit YOU. I died cause of my own stupidity. :(

As far as I know, and I was following BNW price closely (just bought couple of days ago), it hasn't been close to $5 yet.

I recall seeing it for around $8.xx back in the winter sales. Wasn't $5 though, which is where I want it to be before I pick it up for the sake of having it.

Nabs

Let me know if there are any problems:

ModBot said:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- Only GAF members who are NOT junior members are eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Titan Quest -- MB-6A3BE911BE6EDB43 - Taken by Frustrated_Grunt. 3 entrants total.
Killing Floor -- MB-6FAA297AFD935EE5 - Taken by Cth. 1 entrants total.
The Showdown Effect -- MB-8E66EAAB7511D0EA - Taken by Mavromatis. 3 entrants total.
Zeno Clash -- MB-3168C9871494E40A - Taken by Boss Doggie. 2 entrants total.

t1391555978z1.png

Grief.exe

Just some more Dark Souls musings.

Games getting physical releases generally go gold about a month before release. Gold means the developer ships a finished product to be physically produced on discs for sale.
Dark Souls 2 should be going gold any day now.

That gives them about an extra month to work solely on polishing up the PC version. If that game goes gold at the start of March, then it can still be shipped at the end of the month.

This is probably why they can't nail down a PC release date. Entirely hinges on how much work they can get done and when the game actually goes gold.

enjoy

ModBot said:
Instructions for Motorbreath:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last week, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.

Sid Meier's Civilization III: Complete -- MB-1C5C033868AF5E18 - Taken by Luap. 3 entrants total.
I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream -- MB-FEC7E47FBF8F060E - Taken by Vandrar. 5 entrants total.
Sid Meiers Ace Patrol: Pacific Skies -- MB-F897EC22C4850FA3 - Taken by Mikurden
Sid Meiers Ace Patrol -- MB-B5DA2A9FE7F5A099 - Taken by Dipper145. 3 entrants total.

t1391556022z1.png

Nabs

Games getting physical releases generally go gold about a month before release. Gold means the developer ships a finished product to be physically produced on discs for sale.

That gives them about an extra month to work solely on polishing up the PC version. If that game goes gold at the start of March, then it can still be shipped at the end of the month.

This is probably why they can't nail down a PC release date. Entirely hinges on how much work they can get done and when the game actually goes gold.

Good thing they don't have to give Microsoft a month for GFWL cert.

bloke

Another SM giveaway...

ModBot said:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:

Sid Meier's Civilization III: Complete -- MB-2554157A92F401A1 - Taken by C4rter. 1 entrants total.
Sid Meier's Railroads! -- MB-32981852D60E1CAD - Taken by didamangi. 4 entrants total.
Sid Meiers Ace Patrol: Pacific Skies -- MB-78383B7EF9FD1B44 - Taken by adriano999. 2 entrants total.
Sid Meiers Ace Patrol -- MB-EAC14F3E559D765E - Taken by crimsonheadGCN. 3 entrants total.
Sid Meier's Civilization IV: The Complete Edition -- MB-A5EC4806EE09C848 - Taken by Kirosia. 2 entrants total.

t1391546210z1.png

mannerbot

Can anyone tell me if you can sign in to GFWL? (Dark Souls in my case)

It's weird because I can sign in for 2 days....

When I get that problem, I fix it by logging in to the Games For Windows Marketplace. Try that, and if it doesn't work, verify the integrity of your game cache on Steam.

FloatOn

I did a bad thing and watched this video. The wait is even more difficult now. I hope things are as you say and that Dark Souls 2 still launches in march for pc.

Nabs

When I get that problem, I fix it by logging in to the Games For Windows Marketplace. Try that, and if it doesn't work, verify the integrity of your game cache on Steam.

That and log into Xbox.com to see if you have to agree to some garbage.

I did a bad thing and watched this video. The wait is even more difficult now. I hope things are as you say and that Dark Souls 2 still launches in march for pc.

I will be strong.

Grief.exe

Good thing they don't have to give Microsoft a month for GFWL cert.

We might have been actually staring down the barrel of a May release if that was the case.

The other problem is From actually has to setup and test the dedicated servers themselves. I'm assuming they are relying on the platform holders to handle the console versions, I'm not particularly knowledgeable on that side though.

Did he mention the PC version at all?

Parsnip

So I'm in Steam Music beta... and it's a media player in BPM right now? Alrighty.
I guess it's more step closer to being your ultimate media center that does everything.

Caerith

We might have been actually staring down the barrel of a May release if that was the case.

The other problem is From actually has to setup and test the dedicated servers themselves. I'm assuming they are relying on the platform holders to handle the console versions, I'm not particularly knowledgeable on that side though.

I assumed the delay for the PC version is that they're making high-res artwork for trading cards and emotes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom