• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
RIP grief.exe

Thinking of starting XCOM up tonight largely because of posts in this thread earlier. Been sitting in my library unplayed for too long.

:eek:

DO EEETTT!!!!1!!!!!

It is seriously awesome so I hope you do :).

Pro-tip: If you've not played an XCOM before, start on Easy or Normal at the most, do NOT enable Ironman and DO enable the tutorial. Oh and turn on auto-saves as those are off by default. Once you have an idea of what you're doing you can always re-start with different criteria, that's what I did and am well over 200 hours played on it now :p.

Probably that. The mods seem pretty fed up with the PC vs. console stuff in the wake of the next gen shift.

I pulled a ban in that PC graphics thread that turned into a graveyard for posting that the discussion in there was never going to be worthwhile. The comment from Nirolak said that I was basically shitting up the thread instead of contributing. After being kind of annoyed about it for a bit I realize that's kind of true. Coming up with a reasoned, on-topic post is a better use of everyone's time than shaming others.

And this post itself is kind of insular community stuff so I'll leave it at that. :p

Good for you. Respeck as you young people say, I believe.

Oh and Grief, enjoy your holiday and come back soon sweet Prince!

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
GAF outside of SteamGAF is a scary place

Levyne

Banned
This is why I stick to community threads and OTs, for the most part. I pretty much consider this a community thread.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I had no idea you could "beat" Gone Home in only 50 seconds. Somehow I don't think I'll use that as a point against it because I got so much enjoyment out of exploring, putting things together, and immersing myself in a world that made the game last far longer than that.

Hopefully Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes will have plenty for me to do.

Also maybe next time I play X-Com or XCom I will name everyone after Meta Gear characters. I can't be sad if they die, it's expected they will.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

DO EEETTT!!!!1!!!!!

Pro-tip: If you've not played an XCOM before, start on Easy or Normal at the most, do NOT enable Ironman and DO enable the tutorial. Oh and turn on auto-saves as those are off by default. Once you have an idea of what you're doing you can always re-start with different criteria, that's what I did and am well over 200 hours played on it now :p
This is good advice. Xcom with these settings is a great intro to the genre.

Dr Dogg

DO EEETTT!!!!1!!!!!

Pro-tip: If you've not played an XCOM before, start on Easy or Normal at the most, do NOT enable Ironman and DO enable the tutorial. Oh and turn on auto-saves as those are off by default. Once you have an idea of what you're doing you can always re-start with different criteria, that's what I did and am well over 200 hours played on it now :p

Classic Ironman or nothing for me. Might be why I table flip and rage quit after 5 hours after a pack of Sectiod weaklings ruin my squad. After all this XCOM talk I should really fire up Enemy Within.

Knurek

Pro-tip: If you've not played an XCOM before, start on Easy or Normal at the most, do NOT enable Ironman and DO enable the tutorial. Oh and turn on auto-saves as those are off by default. Once you have an idea of what you're doing you can always re-start with different criteria, that's what I did and am well over 200 hours played on it now :p.

How feasible is Easy Ironman for someone who beat Fire Emblem and Final Fantasy Tactics?

JakeD

that South Park Uplay news has me almost ready to deal with russian traders. i'm looking for the ROW edition right? whats the protocol for making sure that's what i get?

XCOM really is the game that is the perfect example of player choice mattering in my opinion. During an EXALT mission, for example, my Sniper who went on to be the backbone of my entire team (and my personal favorite squad member, the dude never missed and I had turned on almost all of the second wave options so he was one of a kind. He was from Sweden and I had decided to give him the nickname "Ragnar" after Ragnar Lodbrok,) and the Heavy (A Chinese Heavy who went by the nickname of "Brick", guy was gunning down mutons left and right and managed to survive a berserker giving him a high five) who I had since the first mission were both pinned down by a group of Alien sympathizers and I didn't think they were gonna make it through. I was losing my shit, man. Those were my golden boys, got damn it! Without them the squad's done for; My Indian sniper who had earned the Nicknamed "Lowrider" for some reason could not replace my awesome Swedish Viking Sniper, damnit! He had an aim over 100 before slapping on a scope, a will in the high 80s, and the guy literally never missed a god damn shot! He was a badass Viking in the modern era! The Aliens probably told stories about this crazy Swedish mother fucker, talking about how Ragnar Lodbrok rose from the dead and managed to get a scoped rifle, then started picking off their forces left and right.I could not lose these two guys. For fuck's sake, these two survived Newfoundland!

Then it hit me. I could sacrifice the rookie I had brought along so save them. An Australian by the name of Jack. He was destined for greatness. He could've been another "Ragnar". But he gave his life so others may live.

He was right next to the bastards. They were all under the convenience store's gas station, so a single spark could set the pumps off. With what I imagined the fury of a thousand proud Australians in his eyes, Jack pulled the pin and threw a grenade. The EXALT forces beside him went up in an astonishing display of fire, and with them the rookie known only as Jack Robinson had gave his life so that Ragnar and Brick could go on to defeat the greatest threat humanity had ever known.

Everyone on the mission had no idea what his last words were. But some liked to think that they were "Here's a piece of alien technology for ya, you ET-sympathizing bastards!"

Though he had passed on that day, he would not be forgotten. He would forever be immortalized by XCOM HQ. To this day the RK. Robinson Medal of Honor is still used to honor soldiers who went above the line of duty in their services against Mankind's greatest foe. The two men whose lives were saved they day awarded him the medal posthumously, and would forever be indebt to the man who bought their farm so they could stop the alien menace.

The most incredible stories, be it tragic or epic, can come from yourself.
To this day I still think of my lone valiant Captain Austin from FTL, who sacrificed himself and fought with a Mantis squad to his asphyxia death just to buy time and save the rest of his wounded crew.

That XCOM story is awesome :)

Copons

DO EEETTT!!!!1!!!!!

Fuck yes: I never played an XCOM before and I started on normal and now I'm scared to death every time I move Drifter (my sniper who totally looks like the guy from Police Academy who makes weird noises) or Humberto Pena (my heavy guy whose name makes me think of a penis), just because they're with me since the beginning. I should retire Drifter early, cause he suffered too many critical hits, and now some of his abilites won't work anymore, but how can I? HOW??

tl;dr I should have started on easy because I'm kind of a pussy.

Also, I'm not really understanding all the HQ part (letting alone the interceptor part that's totally obscure to me :D ), as I'm so short of alloys that whenever I want to build something I always need to think dozens of times before clicking the button. :(

user237

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Sid Meiers Ace Patrol: Pacific Skies -- MB-E32D6D56D6E9EAB6 - Taken by Kuroyume
Sid Meiers Ace Patrol -- MB-CC952904E2BCE868 - Taken by Eanan

humble bundle links

This is good advice. Xcom with these settings is a great intro to the genre.

Well thank you sir :). As a noob to XCOM [and a noob to turn based strategy games apart from Advance Wars given that I was a total noob to pc gaming when I started XCOM] Easy gave me all I could handle. Of course now Easy is too easy and rather boring for me. Normal wasn't much harder either. Classic is a pretty hefty jump in challenge for me but okay if I can get over the early game hump. Classic Ironman is pretty damn vicious though :/. Oh well, I do enjoy it in a rather masochistic sort of way :). When I finally prevail it will make it all the sweeter!

Classic Ironman or nothing for me. Might be why I table flip and rage quit after 5 hours after a pack of Sectiod weaklings ruin my squad. After all this XCOM talk I should really fire up Enemy Within.

Heh, rage quit and delete the save or you're doing it wrong! :p

-MD-

randy_marsh_jizz.jpg

Wow. Holy fuck. And still people who muster personal attacks and spout offensive bullshit trivializing diseases that claim our loved ones get off scot free.

Getting banned for saying that Xbone is weak. Yeah, some mod lost his shit.

Nope, two weeks he said.

Ridiculous. I fail to see expressing an opinion based on fact is cause for a ban.
Hell, even if the opinion is valid but unpopular, it should still be allowed (my only "timeout" came from a comment like this...).

I would like to know this as well...

Look for someone selling/trading South Park ROW on steam trades or use one of the people spoken positively of here. If the game is already in their inventory, look at their inventory and look under the description of the item to see if it's region restricted.

Not sure if he's still selling it, but this guy (pashapitlord) had it for $19 USD.
I can also vouch for iHeo and Stronghammer22 as I've bought from them several times each.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
really hope South Park release date sticks this time

KenOD

How feasible is Easy Ironman for someone who beat Fire Emblem and Final Fantasy Tactics?

While still feasible, it's not really recommended right away. The rock, paper, scissors aspect isn't there and there are numerous small aspects that can affect how battles take place without a full fledge grid system.

XCom I would recommend playing on easy and normal mode all the same for an hour or two to get used to the battle system, different weapons, different abilities, and having an even weirder roll of the die percentage chance of hitting than Fire Emblem ever does. After that if you think you have a strong grasp of things, than Easy Ironman might be worth it.

Though truth be told if you are going from Fire Emblem to this franchise, I would actually recommend the earlier X-COM titles as it's closer to that design stand point than the newest games.

Sorry but I haven't played either of those but I'm sure someone else will help :).

The most incredible stories, be it tragic or epic, can come from yourself.
To this day I still think of my lone valiant Captain Austin from FTL, who sacrificed himself and fought with a Mantis squad to his asphyxia death just to buy time and save the rest of his wounded crew.

That XCOM story is awesome :)

I couldn't agree more! The industry move towards an "Oscar worthy script" in the last few years is just one huge facepalm as far as I'm concerned.

Fuck yes: I never played an XCOM before and I started on normal and now I'm scared to death every time I move Drifter (my sniper who totally looks like the guy from Police Academy who makes weird noises) or Humberto Pena (my heavy guy whose name makes me think of a penis), just because they're with me since the beginning. I should retire Drifter early, cause he suffered too many critical hits, and now some of his abilites won't work anymore, but how can I? HOW??

tl;dr I should have started on easy because I'm kind of a pussy.

Also, I'm not really understanding all the HQ part (letting alone the interceptor part that's totally obscure to me :D ), as I'm so short of alloys that whenever I want to build something I always need to think dozens of times before clicking the button. :(

Restart on Easy.

Seriously.

You're welcome :p.

The HQ part will click, don't worry.

EDIT:

Wow. Holy fuck. And still people who muster personal attacks and spout offensive bullshit trivializing diseases that claim our loved ones get off scot free.

Ridiculous. I fail to see expressing an opinion based on fact is cause for a ban.
Hell, even if the opinion is valid but unpopular, it should still be allowed (my only "timeout" came from a comment like this...).

If I see anything particularly egregious I PM a Mod. That is what they ask us to do after all. I don't think it's fair to expect them to be omniscient and omnipresent :p.

Hahaha well I'm not going to continue my save with a bunch of green recruits. I guess it's time to start a new XCOM campaign only this time I might do it with a twist in the vain of Alec Meer's RPS Diaries with the exception of instead of using his colleagues but go through all of SteamGAF. I'll try not go to get you all killed.

Heh, I don't recommend it :). I didn't last long when I tried but am now going to try again. "Buckle up. Don't be a wimp."

So I bought SP from a Russian trader and managed to redeem it to my library. That means the game was definitely ROW, right? Sorry to go on about this, but I had a bad experience doing this once.

MRORANGE

Stop getting banned peeps.

Stop calling the Xbox One as 'Xbone', it reflects more badly on your posts than Microsoft's 'previous' end goals. .

So I bought SP from a Russian trader and managed to redeem it to my library. That means the game was definitely ROW, right? Sorry to go on about this, but I had a bad experience doing this once.

If you didn't see the warning when you tried to add it to your library, you should be fine, I believe.

Dr Dogg

Well this is unexpected but not only does XCOM support 2.35:1 out the box it actually works way better than I thought it would.

I'm going to bloody buy that monitor now aren't i? :(

Eternia

Great news, thanks. You can get some crazy deals through Russian traders, I have to wonder why Valve isn't cracking down harder on trading sites.
Publishers have the option to region lock games if they choose to. Valve themselves probably don't mind as much since they still get some money back if you buy keys and whatnot from the market to facilitate most trades.

KenOD

Every time someone types out "Xbone", I just think Fone Bone joining the X-Men and what an amazing comic and/or adventure game by Telltale Games that would be.

If I see anything particularly egregious I PM a Mod. That is what they ask us to do after all. I don't think it's fair to expect them to be omniscient and omnipresent :p.

I've done it. Never saw action from it. Assume that's what people did about my post that got me a week ban... maybe it's a power in numbers or a luck of choosing the right mod thing.

What's this South Park ROW everyone keeps talking about. Is that something different than Stick of Truth or something? I guess what I'm asking is what does ROW stand for?

I don't get it! He was just posting what he thinks and believes, what's wrong with that? Isn't supposed to have free speech and say whatever you thinks without offending anybody else?

Apparently some people found that comment offensive.
More offensive then when I said (paraphrasing here) that i'd be happy if a certain studio never got the chance to mar a respected franchise ever again, based on the ban length.

Great news, thanks. You can get some crazy deals through Russian traders, I have to wonder why Valve isn't cracking down harder on trading sites.

I went and found this for you:
G8y5biM.png

That's how you know it's RU only.

What's this South Park ROW everyone keeps talking about. Is that something different than Stick of Truth or something? I guess what I'm asking is what does ROW stand for?

Rest of World.
It's the "global" sub for a game and shouldn't be restricted based on region.

mannerbot

Yeah, I'm gonna keep calling it the Xbone. It's a stupid console name and it deserves an equally stupid nickname.

Great news about South Park though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom