• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Dammit, I was just about to beat the final boss in Metal Gear Rising, but
the stupid Blade mode wouldn't trigger when it needed to. Got him to 0.1% health, but then there's some kind of cutscene where the game gives me less than half a second to activate Blade mode or else Anderson hits me.
That's ridiculous, and I'm mad about having to redo the whole fight just because of that.

At least I managed to find out a combo that hits him hard, and are able to chain it a couple of times. I've also learned how to avoid most of his attacks, though
the explosion that you have to dodge
still gets me most of the times, since I can't tell the timing of that attack yet (so whenever I success in dodging it it's because I spammed the move, not due to skill).

Beating a dead horse, but more Sid Meier games!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Civ V -- MB-7FA747EC83E2749A - Taken by ieavei
Civ V Gods and Kings -- MB-78E8F95EAEBDBED2 - Taken by user237
Ace Patrol -- MB-7CA12170189EF425 - Taken by poopninjamvc3mk
Ace Patrol Pacific Skies -- MB-1533FE987E1AAC4A - Taken by cardinalmind
Railroads -- MB-151A2AE3119E8B41 - Taken by Firehead

Khronico

I'm kind of oblivious to the Civ games. How do they play?

They play like 4X strategy games. If you like 4X strategy games or just strategy games in general, there is a high possibility you will like Civ.

I haven't played much Civ so someone else could probably explain it in better detail than I can.

It's probably worth buying into the minimum package of the humble bundle just to satiate your curiosity.

_hekk05

Banned
They play like 4X strategy games. If you like 4X strategy games or just strategy games in general, there is a high possibility you will like Civ.

I haven't played much Civ so someone else could probably explain it in better detail than I can.

It's probably worth buying into the minimum package of the humble bundle just to satiate your curiosity.

Hmmm. I can go try it at a friend's house I guess. He's a strategy lover.

In other news, don't starve is now 60% off on steam, same as in winter sale, but I can't bring myself to buy it when I know there will be a game+dlc bundle out pretty soon.

Turfster

Like crack cocaine. They play like crack cocaine.
You start out with a "oh, I'll play for half an hour after dinner", and suddenly, the birds are tweeting outside and the sun is shining in your eyes.

turn based cocaine.

next question.

Serious answer: management focused strategy game, where complete annihilation isn't the only solution to winning. Your "civilization" can have other winning qualities, like science domination or political domination (UN votes). That's pretty much it. So: great if you like rts and turn-based strategy.

DeSo

Banned
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but was looking for an American to gift me Stick of Truth on Steam. Will Paypal the cost.

mannerbot

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but was looking for an American to gift me Stick of Truth on Steam. Will Paypal the cost.

You should really look for a trader, I got my copy for $20 and some others have gotten theirs for $19 (USD). If you don't go that route, I'd say chances are pretty good of someone trying to charge you the full $59.99 for a copy that they got from a trader...

On the other hand, if that's not an issue for you, I'd be happy to sell you my copy for $59.99 and buy a new one! whoo

Caerith

Finished Episode 2 of The Wolf Among Us today but unfortunately it was a bit shorter than I was expecting.

It also seems that I missed two Book entries, I wonder if I have two replay the episode and make different choices on how to deal with certain things.
This is a bit late but I hope it helps narrow down those missing entries, either for you or for anyone else who ends the chapter missing an entry or two:

Episode 1 unmissable (probably):
Bigby Wolf, Snow White, The Woodsman, Faith, Beauty, Beast, Mr Toad, Colin, Ichabod Crane, Bufkin, Fabletown, The Farm, Mundies, Glamours, Prince Lawrence, The Tweedles, Holly, Grendel, Bluebeard
Episode 1 choice:
Bigby's Mercy
OR
Bigby's Vengeance
(replay from chapter 6,
end the Grendel fight differently
)

Episode 2 choice:
Ichabod's Denial
OR
Bluebeard's Mercy
(replay from chapter 2, either
use violence in the interrogation so Ichabod steps in
, or
refrain from using violence so Bluebeard steps in
)
Episode 2 unmissable (probably):
Thirteenth Floor
Episode 2 might be missable:
The Magic Mirror (make sure you talk to it)
Episode 2 unmissable (probably) (cont'd):
The Witching Well, Jack Horner, Lily
Episode 2 might be missable (cont'd):
Troll Cross (take it from the body)
Episode 2 unmissable (probably) (cont'd pt 2):
Georgie Porgie, Clever Hans, Nerissa

It was pretty lame how you had to go back and replay the ending of episode 1 to get both Book entries. It should just be all based on one run.
Seriously. I hope this (and the missable-if-you-don't-play-a-certain-way achievements in 400 Days) aren't the start of a trend for Telltale.

FloatOn

Grief getting banned is like watching Seinfeld without Jerry Seinfeld. My neogaf sitcom is incomplete without you man, if you are reading this.

Glad to see so many people playing xcom. I never beat it so I may remedy that soon.

GuardsmanGreg

Neo Member
^^Also my reaction to winning Civ IV! Thanks Backlogger! Holy wow does it add a lot of things to my games list. Do I install all of these? :x

2 hours late on this but you get free Mac versions to go with the Windows version. You should be good by installing the Base game and Beyond the Sword, and maybe Colonization if it came with Civ IV complete and it interests you. Warlords has a few mehish scenarios and the leaders the expansion has come with downloading Beyond the Sword.

Khronico

I dunno why but Civ is really hard to understand for me. Every time I play I feel like I'm just pressing buttons and watching meters fill.

Yet I totally love Grand Strategy.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Valve made another small change to the layout of the Steam frontpage. The featured games section for each OS is now 1 row instead of 2.

Good catch. I wonder what's up? I guess they're making room for their new "recently updated" section.

you mean big picture mode?

No, the Steam homepage on their website.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Movement on the Anno 1404 front!

Anno 1404 said:
about 5 hours ago Changed Depots

33251/encryptedmanifests/beta/encrypted_gid: * hidden *
33256/encryptedmanifests/beta/encrypted_gid: * hidden *
33256/maxsize: 11 › 532813002
branches/beta/buildid: 182327 › 182334
Anno 1404: Venice said:
about 5 hours ago Changed Depots

33351/encryptedmanifests/beta/encrypted_gid: * hidden *
33351/maxsize: 654457844 › 687748689
33352/encryptedmanifests/beta/encrypted_gid: * hidden *
33353/encryptedmanifests/beta/encrypted_gid: * hidden *
33353/maxsize: 31988690 › 589721
33354/encryptedmanifests/beta/encrypted_gid: * hidden *
33354/maxsize: 34930797 › 4917
33355/encryptedmanifests/beta/encrypted_gid: * hidden *
33355/maxsize: 33500885 › 4917
branches/beta/buildid: 163540 › 182341
Dawn of Discovery: Venice said:
about 6 hours ago Changed Depots

33212/encryptedmanifests/beta/encrypted_gid: * hidden *
branches/beta/buildid: 168906 › 182306

Anno 1404 itself actually got patched but unsurprisingly it isn't available for purchase just yet as the rest of the apps are lagging behind.

Can't you refund them?

The functionality isn't there yet, even though it should be as per the phrasing when you initiate a refund.

Right the first batch of cannon fodder recruits are ready for service (sorry Grief & zkylon, totally didn't mean to get you in the medical bay so early)

Let's see what happens first, I finish the campaign or I run out of GAFfers' names.

JaseChina.

Levyne

Banned
I'm only an hour into XCOM and I am loving it. I think I am doing too much infrastructure work early only, needed to get more uplinks built for sat coverage. But it seems pretty awesome so far.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I'm only an hour into XCOM and I am loving it. I think I am doing too much infrastructure work early only, needed to get more uplinks built for sat coverage. But it seems pretty awesome so far.

It's all about the uplinks. Save satelites till you absolutely need to place one over a country though.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Sid Meiers Ace Patrol: Pacific Skies -- MB-E452EB6A70CBAEEA - Taken by _hekk05
Sid Meiers Ace Patrol -- MB-F10EF934081E86B6 - Taken by jmizzal

JaseC

So this is interesting:

Looks like my cynicism was misplaced:

Hello Jason,

Thank you for contacting Steam Support.

We apologize for the delay.

In the unlikely event of the discontinuation of the Steam network, measures are in place to ensure that all users will continue to have access to their Steam games.

If you have any further questions, please let us know - we will be happy to assist you.

Valve really is guaranteeing continued access to one's library in the event of Steam's imminent death.

Milamber

Right the first batch of cannon fodder recruits are ready for service (sorry Grief & zkylon, totally didn't mean to get you in the medical bay so early)

Let's see what happens first, I finish the campaign or I run out of GAFfers' names.

Hah! I'm not on there!

:(

mannerbot

So this is interesting:

image.php

vixlar

Sid Meiers Humble Bundle... Faith in humanity, restored.

Really, Civ 5 + expansions for $15.00 + Civ 4 complete + Civ3... Really. The only game missing there is Alpha Centauri.

I own all those games, but I want to buy it for Railroads. Too tempting.

BTW. Which game do you think would be added later? Maybe Pirates?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

Really, Civ 5 + expansions for $15.00 + Civ 4 complete + Civ3... Really. The only game missing there is Alpha Centauri.

Weekly humble usually doesn't add games (although the last one did)

JaseC

Probably just download your games before Valve shuts everything down and use offline mode forever?

The downloading part wouldn't be a problem as there are a ton of third-party content servers and offline mode isn't reliable enough to use as the basis of a guarantee. My guess is that Valve would remove the CEG ("Steam DRM") component from every game that uses it.

Yeah only one I could think of was pirates too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom