• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Thanks for Civ3!
Thanks for Ace Patrol!

No worries. :)

When does the Steam Summer Sale generally start? I'll start to prepare my wallet now.

Roughly mid-July. Prior to 2012 it started a couple of weeks earlier, but I'm glad Valve made the change as the sale now aligns perfectly with the start of tax time here (July 1st, so if you get in early you'll have you refund in time for the sale).

What's the website where I can see a list of bundles currently running?

http://isthereanydeal.com/specials/#/filter:bundle

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I wish that thing would update better, FPS Warriors bundle has been done for a while.

I wish Bundle Stars got more rep too, they're really trying with all these bundles.

I usually link to IGBW's page, but it hasn't been very reliable lately.

Roughly mid-July. Prior to 2012 it started a couple of weeks earlier, but I'm glad Valve made the change as the sale now aligns perfectly with the start of tax time here (July 1st, so if you get in early you'll have you refund in time for the sale).

Quite far in the future. Wallet now happy. Then it remembers the games that will be released on March...

The 4th Echelon missions in Splinter Cell: Blacklist are kind of lame. They're supposed to be single player OR coop but the first one I tried had a route I simply could not go because, you know, door and it flashed "invite a friend to use this route". I just quit out to desktop instead. I don't like how the single, coop and multiplayer modes are all on the selectable missions campaign map. There's no confusion about what each mode is, I just don't like how everything is mashed into the campaign. No one else I know owns this game, I do not have any uPlay buddies, I am not going to play coop and multiplayer is never happening. It's probably dead already.

Whenever I choose to play Blacklist again I will completely ignore everything that is not a single player mission.

The 4th Echelon missions in Splinter Cell: Blacklist are kind of lame. They're supposed to be single player OR coop but the first one I tried had a route I simply could not go because, you know, door and it flashed "invite a friend to use this route". I just quit out to desktop instead. I don't like how the single, coop and multiplayer modes are all on the selectable missions campaign map. There's no confusion about what each mode is, I just don't like how everything is mashed into the campaign. No one else I know owns this game, I do not have any uPlay buddies, I am not going to play coop and multiplayer is never happening. It's probably dead already.

Whenever I choose to play Blacklist again I will completely ignore everything that is not a single player mission.

One set of missions are coop only. Its rubbish for a story component to be locked behind mp. I'm playing though it myself ATM, so if you want a coop partner I'll pm my uplay user when I'm at my PC later.

Copons

Right the first batch of cannon fodder recruits are ready for service (sorry Grief & zkylon, totally didn't mean to get you in the medical bay so early)

LOL Grief got banned from XCOM too
:p

EDIT: I was, like, beaten so much, for so long, it kinda hurts

Blablurn

Got a question about Family Sharing. I have two people I share with. In the past I could access both accounts at the same time. But nowadays it's just one of them. And it only changes when I restart Steam several times. Right now I can directly access one friends account. The other friend accounts just shows the installed games (which i cant play since it doesnt show his whole library). I need to restart steam several times to see the whole library. In the same time the other dudes library shrinks to only the installed games.

Some kind of bug?

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Still disappointing that there's no release date for the PC version. Oh well, at least TitanFall comes out in the same week.
Hopefully its just a one week or two delay. Im torn I cant double dip but I need my CE. Summer Sale i shall double dip unless an absurd offer happens before that.

Arthea

gamersgate has The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing at -75%
http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-IAVH/the-incredible-adventures-of-van-helsing
I think it's lowest Helsing have been so far, tempting

Well not too much time for XCOMing tonight but after 2 missions it's already clear that Stallion is going to be a boss.

I have 0 kills?!
that hurt
it helps that Jasec has the same amount (><)

I hope you let me to kill some aliens, I'm not that bad at it, just lemme!

Milamber

It's as easy as making a batch file, seriously.

Yes, but he is giving 2012 information. There may be a newer less troublesome method, like profiles. Who knows if "portable.ini" works with the latest v1.2.1 of PCSX anymore. Will try later tonight if the separate configs thingie sticks though.

catabarez

Yes, but he is giving 2012 information. There may be a newer less troublesome method, like profiles. Who knows if "portable.ini" works with the latest v1.2.1 of PCSX anymore. Will try later tonight if the separate configs thingie sticks though.

From my experience batch files don't work with the Steam overlay. This is pretty much guaranteed to work, but there may be other methods that I haven't seen.

Knurek

From my experience batch files don't work with the Steam overlay. This is pretty much guaranteed to work, but there may be other methods that I haven't seen.

They do work just fine.
Steam doesn't allow you to add them, but you can skirt the issue by renaming .bat to .exe, adding that to Steam, and then changing it back to .bat in the Steam shortcut properties.

catabarez

They do work just fine, Steam doesn't allow you to add them, but you can skirt the issue by renaming .bat to .exe, adding that to Steam, and then changing it back to .bat in the Steam shortcut properties.

I know and I've tried using them with some emulators to see if I can still access the overlay. From what I tried at the time it did not work with Dolphin or PCSX2, but maybe that has changed. Regardless the method I use is about as much work as using a .bat file anyways because all of the information still needs to be manually typed in.

DiscoJer

I guess it's prone to abuse, but it took me 8 tries to get the captcha correct to activate my Sid Meier bundle on my Steam account.

Can't they just give codes to enter? Such a hassle....

Arthea

About Sid's bundle

Civ 3 complete is an enjoyable game, but it might be a tad too old for new players. It's still perfectly playable, no worries with that. Unfortunately for 3rd game 2nd and Alpha Centauri were better and that's how I remember it, it came after good ones :)

Civ 4 is great, really it is, it uses spies the way I prefer it, it had religion implemented in a nice way. As you get complete edition with bundle, you get the definitive version of a game. If you never played Civ, 4 is a good one to start with. It has fully automated improvement building (although I prefer manual in any civ), but it's good for new players, I guess.

Ace Patrols, I already wrote about them in steam thread couple of times. These are much simpler games if you compare with Civs, but training your pilots and keeping them alive can be fun. Also it doesn't require much time, unlike Civs, as missions are short.

Railroads! There is not much to say there, some people are into trains, some not. I vastly prefer Railroad Tycoons myself. Then for the fairness of it, I haven't played much of it.

Civ V. This one doesn't need much telling, it has so much content it can be overwhelming, but I think it's the best entry to Civ for new people in this bundle. I do prefer stacking ten thousand units in one spot myself, so I may be not one to tell about this game. Too many features are not the way I like, but it's as addictive as any civ, rest assured.
I would advice against playing vanilla though, you need expansions, both of them, in my opinion.

edited: forgot most important part, it's a great bundle, buy it! and play them games. ;)

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I find it weird that HB is selling a game that is removed from Steam Store but is registered by Steam

stonedwal

My brother gifted me Civ V at some point, so I'm paying it forward. Have at it, GAF!
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Sid Meier's Civilization V -- MB-B35D1ED0D06BF7FC - Taken by Fl1pp13

Chuck

Still without luck
Is it weird that I just booted up Dust for the first time and see the save of someone I'm family sharing with? We both own the game. Super weird.

About Sid's bundle

I'd agree with all that. Good write up.

I'd just add that a big part of the attraction for Civ 5 is steam workshop support. Being able to easily grab mods like the Song of Ice and Fire conversion is a big plus to me.

Meanwhile Oniken is out:

header_292x136.jpg

If you are nostalgic for a really bad NES game.... well you probably picked this up in an indie bundle already anyway. One guy on twitter suggests Desura owners get a key but we'll see.

Nabs

Launch price: $5.59 (-30%). It has been in 4 bundles (Summertide, Retro Groupee, Green Light Bundle 2, The July Jubilee Bundle)

edit: *shakes fist* I played 5 minutes of it before deleting. I don't think it's my type of game, but I'll give it another try when I go for cards.

Deques

Launch price: $5.59 (-30%). It has been in 4 bundles (Summertide, Retro Groupee, Green Light Bundle 2, The July Jubilee Bundle)

edit: *shakes fist* I played 5 minutes of it before deleting. I don't think it's my type of game, but I'll give it another try when I go for cards.

I think I bought all of the bundles. Prepare for a big Oniken giveaway

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Indiegala better come through on a oniken key :(

Arthea

It probably doesn't come as surprise, I can't remember which bundle with Oniken I bought. I only remember I bought it!
Also I know that people into hardcore oldschool platformers like it. Take it as you will, haven't played it myself yet.

It probably doesn't come as surprise, I can't remember which bundle with Oniken I bought. I only remember I bought it!

You need to use the indie game key organiser program otherwise known as Desura. It should tell you where it came from.

Also I know that people into hardcore oldschool platformers like it. Take it as you will, haven't played it myself yet.

I'm into oldschool platformers. I've played it. It sucks.

Arthea

You need to use the indie game key organiser program otherwise known as Desura. It should tell you where it came from.

I'm into oldschool platformers. I've played it. It sucks.

It actually does... when I remember to redeem games on Desura, it rather comes easy with Royale, not so much with others. ;)

you don't like anything, do you?
just kidding!

Indiegala better come through on a oniken key :(

The mystery solved, summetide is one I had Oniken with, let's hope Indiegala gives us keys

Kovaelin

I missed out on a LOT of bundles over the last 6 months. Oh well. I finally got around to playing Dead Space. I'm on chapter 11, and definitely find it scary. I'm playing through the game in the dark, with headphones, and only with the plasma cutter. I'm going to try to pick up Dead Space 2 next time I see it on sale (or in a retail store).

Arthea

Oh for Christ's sake - it's not Mahjong, it's Shanghai

Steam needs a proper Mahjong game, come on Konami, release Mahjong Fight Club.

There are some mahjong games on steam... You have something against mumbojumbo, I suppose?
I totally would buy a proper mahjong game! but asking anything from Konami is futile :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom