• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigAT

Enslaved, think I'm about half way through

I think the game design so far feel lazy, the auto platforming, simplistic combat, turret section and a mix of some running away sequences were all kind of predictable, those elements aren't exactly deep or well designed, but aren't exactly shit.

So far it's just kind of meh, with nothing great to talk about. The mindless platforming and combat is ok though and I'm interested to see more of the story, the visuals and environments are really cool though.

There are some glitches here and there like falling through a floor multiple times, it seems like they didn't do a good job walling off every platform :p

Yeah, the visuals and voice acting were enough to keep me around, but it feels like there is a lot of missed potential there.

JakeD

in case anybody was on the fence about spending a buck for Interstellar Marines, you won't be anymore:

XUHaXl9.jpg
shark aliens

Steam Music is extremely meh at the moment. It takes forever to load your music. It took me over a minute to select an artist or album (which are the ONLY two options at the moment). There's no options for playlists or anything. Only a fraction of my albums were loaded as well. I was surprised they would release something in this form to be honest.

It's extremely bare bones at the moment and I would definitely hold off on using it over iTunes or your player of choice.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
RE: Interstellar Marines; what's the difference between regular and Spearhead Edition, is the latter just DLC for the former? Is the latter a separate game listing?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Steam Music is extremely meh at the moment. It takes forever to load your music. It took me over a minute to select an artist or album (which are the ONLY two options at the moment). There's no options for playlists or anything. Only a fraction of my albums were loaded as well. I was surprised they would release something in this form to be honest.

It's extremely bare bones at the moment and I would definitely hold off on using it over iTunes or your player of choice.

Yeah, it's dreadfully slow -- I selected my main music folder and Steam was adding an album only every 10 or so seconds. I'm guessing that playlist support will launch alongside the desktop UI and I think that Valve should have waited until both were ready before launching the beta.

JaseC

RE: Interstellar Marines; what's the difference between regular and Spearhead Edition, is the latter just DLC for the former? Is the latter a separate game listing?

It's just a DDE, yeah. From the store page:

Early Access to Interstellar Marines including all future updates and expansions + Join the Spearhead unit (unique honorary game profile) + Your username in the Hall of Honor and your name in the credits of the game + Digital download of the Interstellar Marines: The Beginning soundtrack and all future soundtracks + Digital download of art book when it’s ready + Get 1 extra Interstellar Marines Steam Key to gift to a friend.

Edit: Tabbed browsing, how does it work?

JakeD

Jesus H Christ that is terrifying.
I thought this was an MP only game?

Okay, is there decent coop or single-player? I don't really need another multiplayer shooter. That picture sparked my interest though. ;)

there is currently no SP campaign, but there will be two single player modes (including a traditional campaign) by the time it's actually released. which may be a long time from now.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for the heads up! I feel like a noob for not challenging my skills to get past 25 seconds now. Better man up and do it.
Don't feel bad about it, the game took a while to click with me. I think I stopped playing it for a couple of months after beating the first stage, until some discussion here in some old Steam thread made me want to try it again. I got hooked instantly, and decided I'd beat the game no matter what it took.

If I could, everyone can do it.

JaseC

Okay so I made an error by redeeming the regular Interstellar Marines key when I should have redeemed Spearhead and chucked regular?

Yep.

Edit:

$17.99, though existing owners of the original realMyst receive a 33% loyalty discount, bringing it down to $11.99.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Rush Bros. -- MB-E4AA47554975A0C5 - Taken by tjohn86. 9 entrants total.
Beast Boxing Turbo -- MB-7740E7129FEAC058 - Taken by corrosivefrost. 11 entrants total.
PixelJunk Shooter -- MB-D7581E9A7DEF171E - Taken by Relax.MX. 26 entrants total.
Interstellar Marines -- MB-1B2F05F02B17C190 - Taken by BorntoPlay. 19 entrants total.

t1391624926z1.png

Is Interstellar Marines any good? heard about that game for years now but never really looked into it...

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Rush Bros -- MB-258101CA2269B7E9 - Taken by NIN90

BigAT

Yep.

Edit:

$17.99, though existing owners of the original realMyst receive a 33% loyalty discount, bringing it down to $11.99.

Is RealMyst any good? I've been meaning to go back to Myst at some point soon but I'm not sure what the best way to replay it is in 2014.

topyy

found this one when I searched that pid thing.

Elder scrolls online 500,000 beta key giveaway @ curse.com
GET DEAL

delusiondelusionfound 5 hours, 50 minutes ago
Haven't heard great things but definitely want to try it for myself..

This beta starts midday on Friday (EST) for the whole weekend.

You need to sign up for a curse.com account (non-premium is free):

Premium Only: February 4th - 5th, 2014
All Curse Members: February 6th - 10th, 2014
Beta Period: From Friday, February 7th at 12:00PM EST until Monday, February 10th at 11:59PM EST

nexen

Star Trek: The Vidya Game.

It is terrible.
At first I was mildly amused because they nailed the look of the recent movies and the dialogue was on par.

But then ... the terrible scripting and gameplay bugs showed up.

Then I realized that the primary enemies might as well be shooting blanks for all the threat they pose.

There is also this embarrassing, super unprofessional space combat turret mission where you can't tell what is going on.

It is just ... awful.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.

Sang-Froid -- MB-113132F6A14BF143 - Taken by Nabs. 15 entrants total.
header.jpg

t1391615468z1.png

This is a really cool Canadian action tower-defence game with lumberjacks and werewolves and Quebec.

JaseC

wait, the game in lower tier is the same game that's in higher tier only without dlc? Am I reading this right?

Yes. I think there may have been a stuff-up and Indie Gala was supposed to receive keys for the Spearhead Edition upgrade. If you mistakenly redeemed the standard edition you should still be able to redeem your Spearhead Edition key.

Arthea

Yes. I think there may have been a stuff-up and Indie Gala was supposed to receive keys for the Spearhead Edition upgrade. If you mistakenly redeemed the standard edition you should still be able to redeem your Spearhead Edition key.

I haven't redeemed anything yet, so your information is very timely, thanks!

Zafir

Unstable too. Crashed Steam when I was trying to play music.

Don't feel bad about it, the game took a while to click with me. I think I stopped playing it for a couple of months after beating the first stage, until some discussion here in some old Steam thread made me want to try it again. I got hooked instantly, and decided I'd beat the game no matter what it took.

If I could, everyone can do it.

pssh I can beat super hexagon, i just don't wanna

Hahaha. Feel like playing it now. However, I already reached my daily bandwidth limit (paltry 10gb) so I can't download it. Maybe after playing that alien shark game (Thanks again!). I'm definitely curious about how those abominations came to life.

Edit:

What is this game?

Hopefully, my salary arrives before that Sid Meier bundle expires. I must atone for pirating Civ2 when I was a teen. Didn't value other peoples' hard work before.

Evrain

found this one when I searched that pid thing.

Elder scrolls online 500,000 beta key giveaway @ curse.com
GET DEAL

delusiondelusionfound 5 hours, 50 minutes ago
Haven't heard great things but definitely want to try it for myself..

This beta starts midday on Friday (EST) for the whole weekend.

You need to sign up for a curse.com account (non-premium is free):

Premium Only: February 4th - 5th, 2014
All Curse Members: February 6th - 10th, 2014
Beta Period: From Friday, February 7th at 12:00PM EST until Monday, February 10th at 11:59PM EST
If anybody needs it, I think I have a surplus beta key... quite frankly, I couldn't care less to try the game, judging on the abysmal opinions of those who engaged in the beta.

Backlogger

in case anybody was on the fence about spending a buck for Interstellar Marines, you won't be anymore:

shark aliens

lol, insta-bought tier 2 with spearhead edition.

I see this is an early access game. Are they doing a bundle to drum up interest in the game? Seems like most of the early access games are trying to keep their prices up rather than deep discount.

Steam music works pretty well. The only issue I've run into is that music keeps playing when you exit BPM and only stops when Steam is shut down. In game, however, things work well enough and the interface is well designed for controllers.

Edit: Apparently that's by design, desktop controls are coming later.

Backlogger

If anybody needs it, I think I have a surplus beta key... quite frankly, I couldn't care less to try the game, judging on the abysmal opinions of those who engaged in the beta.

I am interested in trying it out but at the same time why bother? I am not going to pay $60 bucks for an MMO that has a $15 sub. I can't believe they are going that route with the pricing. To be honest, for a quality MMO I don't like F2P either. But I think they should have gone down to maybe $5-8 per month with a lower entry fee of $30 rather than $60. There are several other more attractive pricing scenarios that they could have gone with than attempting to rehash the WoW model.

Hasn't Interstellar Marines been in the works now for years without significant change and had a failed Kickstarter not so long ago? Or am I mixing it up with something else

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom