• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
People are worried that it will be removed on Steam, which inflates its perceived value tremendously.

Interesting stuff.

Crazy what delisting does to us. I bought Deadpool the day after it was taken off Steam with very little intention of playing it.

...and just bought KoA-Complete
with mostly card money

hlhbk

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (hlhbk, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West -- MB-71516451012100DD - Taken by Knurek. 60 entrants total.

t1391201230z1.png

Bumping for new page!

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I don't think you are limited to one. Doesn't the Happy Hour promo give you extra gifts?

They always make a big deal about being sure to click the "This is a gift" checkbox. If you don't check that box you don't get extra bundles (the money is applied to your personal order).

I did but I had to rebuy it. I guess Im ok losing the money of the first purchase as I already did it for a second time and that one worked.

Jawmuncher

Oh man I got way to many good entries.
It's going to take me a bit to sort them for the winners.
Just about all of them are neck-in-neck....I wish I had more codes to give out.

hlhbk

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (hlhbk, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Bioshock Infinite -- MB-704E5E984C2A6305 - Taken by Tellaerin. 51 entrants total.

t1391201636z1.png

Bumping for new page!

Grief.exe

For all you people picking up Amalur, you might want to consider applying the YSA mod to it. The text document at the bottom of the page will tell you what it changes, but to give you an idea (and show how ridiculously easy the unmodded game is), the first three things it lists are reducing experience gained to 40%, doubles the damage you receive, and halves the damage you dish out.

Looks interesting, I think I am just going to play through the base game on hard. If I decide I ever want to play through the game again I will check out the modding scene.

Crazy what delisting does to us. I bought Deadpool the day after it was taken off Steam with very little intention of playing it.

...and just bought KoA-Complete
with mostly card money

Exact same boat as you, though I do have the intention of playing KOA.

I've had it on my wishlist for a long time and I have a soft spot for action RPGs. I wish Platinum would make one.

No. Play a game from before 2005.

The glory years.

Thorgal

Hope I'm doing this right.

Thanks for Brutal legend !

We just sort of ballpark it. Something that's less realistic looking has more leeway than something that's more realistic looking (or real); something that's smaller has more leeway than something that's larger; something that's linked and labeled has more leeway than something that's posted inline; something that's in-context to the thread is given more leeway than something totally random; something posted once is given more leeway than a wall of people quoting something or one person spamming something.

Personally I don't even notice the Scanners head explosion as gore because it's both so unrealistic and also so well known to be from a movie. I'd remove a post from someone in-lining that God of War head-rip GIF in a thread that wasn't in context. It's pretty gross and trivially NSFW. I've removed combination spoiler and gore GIFs from Breaking Bad (if you've seen the whole show, I think you'll probably be able to think of some of the cases). I probably wouldn't remove a picture of someone having a nosebleed or whatever, although maybe if it was someone's avatar.

Thanks for the reply .

Was wondering that when i posted a link to a pic of my head wound from a few weeks back in the Facegaf thread and was pondering whether to put it as a link or just post the picture itself and questioning whether the latter would be allowed like those Gif's .

On another note :

Are there any known issues with Steam when you shut your PC down while steam is still running ?

Reason i ask is because my computer froze while i was downloading a game on Steam and had to reboot .

Everything works fine now but i thought i ask to be sure .

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
First person to quote me with a picture of myself (Nito) gets the January Bundle from Indie Gala.

vermadas

Yessss... I have finally acquired Blur! I'm an idiot for not picking it up a couple years ago. Thanks go out to people here (JShackles initially) for telling everyone about Motor Rock and it's inevitable delisting; I didn't end up paying that much for Blur in the end.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
what the fuck is going on in the thread today? who pissed in everyones cereal this morning? o_O

What the hell, you can no longer buy digital games from Amazon in Canada lol

EDIT. nvm for some reason it had a Canadian address I changed it to a fake american one.

Looks interesting, I think I am just going to play through the base game on hard. If I decide I ever want to play through the game again I will check out the modding scene.

It works with pre-existing saves so you can always apply it later if you start to find things getting too easy.

One thing worth pointing out is that when you enter a new area it sets everything to your current level and then never changes it. This can make things stupidly easy later on if you go exploring before finishing off an area.

Backlogger

For all you people picking up Amalur, you might want to consider applying the YSA mod to it. The text document at the bottom of the page will tell you what it changes, but to give you an idea (and show how ridiculously easy the unmodded game is), the first three things it lists are reducing experience gained to 40%, doubles the damage you receive, and halves the damage you dish out.

Eh, I will just play through it as is. If I get bored I get bored. I'm a sucker for open world RPGs though. I will probably enjoy it even if everyone else hates it.

Is that new Football Management game on steam any good? FM takes too long and Lords of Football is pretty shitty would like some good middle ground

You are free to disagree about its averageness, but the game IS easy.

Depends.
Did I think it was hard? Mostly not so much -- but it does have some well-designed precision platforming that makes people rage quit -- and I'm not even talking about getting the mask pieces for the "true ending".
Sure, all the difficulty spikes are mostly extra and outside of the normal game -- and combat can be relatively easy if you're playing on normal... but it's by no means a "baby mode" game.

I've played plenty of games before 2005.

Pretty much every game is repetitive at it's core. However, fans of the game like the content or the gameplay, so they don't notice.

Sometimes games throw in strange variations (I'm looking at you, Kamiya) to the normal core gameplay, but these are so generally out of place that they're not appreciated, they're usually panned.

But I still think (and in my experience) that If you want to, for the most part, all games can be made out to be repetitive in nature.

what the fuck is going on in the thread today? who pissed in everyones cereal this morning? o_O

I'm not sure, but it's not appreciated. :p

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Yessss... I have finally acquired Blur! I'm an idiot for not picking it up a couple years ago. Thanks go out to people here (JShackles initially) for telling everyone about Motor Rock and it's inevitable delisting; I didn't end up paying that much for Blur in the end.

When Blur is mentioned, I remember the Winter Sale of 2012, when I bought like, 20 copies of Blur when it was on sale to trade with other people for pricing as it was cheapest in America and quite a bit more expensive in other regions.

In retrospective, if I had just bought 20 copies of Blur and held onto them....

Wait, what is this new football manager challenger? Im stuck into FM 2014 currently, and need to stop playing it as I got a bit addicted over the past few weeks.

FX Eleven, no idea if it's any good doesn't have licenses though. Haven't played an FM game since 2012 pretty far into a game of it so I don't want to upgrade but I get so bored every preseason and struggle to get to the start of the season

Jawmuncher

Here are the winners after going through the entries multiple times.

Blue Ninja
guabjjN.gif

Knurek
give_enslavedtirpf.png

gabbo

It was a close call to all that participated. So many entries that I absolutely loved.
I would consider all of them honorable mentions. Wish I had more codes to give out.
I think next time i'll go for something similar. Giveaways like this are far more fun and make people put in some work if they really want the game.

graywolf323

KoA is considered pretty bad. The story and quests are the definition of repetitive, while the combat is pretty good. It has also basically never been on sale. Which is why people are picking it up.

I disagree with you completely, the game is not bad and was one of my favorite new games from 2012

it has an 88% positive to 12% negative customer review rating on Steam

just because you didn't like it doesn't mean it's considered bad

denx

I finished Batman Arkham City, and what a damn good game it is. Pretty much everything from Asylum is expanded and refined. The only thing I wasn't a big fan of was the plot.
I feel like the whole Protocol 10 / Hugo Strange plot was kind of wasted and sidetracked way too much by the Joker plot. I'd like for once a Batman game where The Joker isn't the main villain you know.
But apart from that I had a lot of fun with City. I won't try to 100% it, that is just crazy talk, but maybe I'll give New Game + a try.

Btw, funny you mention Breaking Bad in that post up there. I just started watching the show yesterday and... that freaking bathtub scene, wow.

Tellaerin

Games were repetitive before 2005, too. Hell, the further back you go, the more repetitive they get. The point was that the only people who complain about a game being "repetitive" are the ones who don't like/aren't interested in the gameplay that's being repeated. Otherwise they don't even seem to notice that they're performing variations on the same actions over and over again. That's why you see people rave about Halo and its "30 seconds of fun" repeated ad infinitum, yet blast the Warriors/Musou games for their "repetitive" gameplay.

Edit: Gah, I see corrosivefrost responded to this already. Just mark me down in the "agree" column.

I feel like the whole Protocol 10 / Hugo Strange plot was kind of wasted and sidetracked way too much by the Joker plot. I'd like for once a Batman game where The Joker isn't the main villain you know.

At least they tried to break status quo
at the end.
You probably don't want to play the next game in the series if that bothers you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom