• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

Games should never have prerendered cut scenes

INcp5fQ.jpg

Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers emulated on PCSX2

This is one of the few times I have emulated a game and just disgusted at the way it looks. It just looks horrible, and I am usually just fine with older games.

Oh well, gameplay is still fun. Scheduling a time with my friend this weekend so we can play.

would anyone in here be willing to pick up metro last light ranger mode dlc ($1.49 at gamefly) for $2 paypal? It's odd that sometimes gamefly is region sensitive and othertimes not, I got resident evil 4 from them about a month ago and now when I add the metro dlc to my cart it says 'region not allowed'. I don't believe the dlc is region locked, but I'd appreciate it if anyone knows this to be otherwise.

Knurek

Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers emulated on PCSX2

This is one of the few times I have emulated a game and just disgusted at the way it looks. It just looks horrible, and I am usually just fine with older games.

Not to rain on your parade, but isn't the aspect ratio off?
Personally, I can't stand 4:3 stretched to fit 16:9 screens, borders all the way.

Grief.exe

Not to rain on your parade, but isn't the aspect ratio off?
Personally, I can't stand 4:3 stretched to fit 16:9 screens, borders all the way.

It should have a widescreen hack so the characters aren't stretching. The pre-rendered video and UI elements will be stretched as there is no way to natively render that image.

Knurek

It should have a widescreen hack so the characters aren't stretching. The pre-rendered video will be stretched as there is no way to natively render that image.

I've had nothing but trouble with PCSX2 widescreen hacks. Usually there's at least one GUI element that is left stretched, pretty much ruining the experience (for me).
Also, stretching a prerendered image by a non-integer ratio (be it a movie, those PS1 Resi/FinFan backgrounds, etc) usually results in a very messy output. You might try playing with the internal resolution - decreasing it may actually increase IQ.

Grief.exe

I've had nothing but trouble with PCSX2 widescreen hacks. Usually there's at least one GUI element that is left stretched, pretty much ruining the experience (for me).
Also, stretching a prerendered image by a non-integer ratio (be it a movie, those PS1 Resi/FinFan backgrounds, etc) usually results in a very messy output. You might try playing with the internal resolution - decreasing it may actually increase IQ.

The IQ and textures actually look pretty good to me, and I don't even have AA or AF on in these shots.

Its mainly the characters and art style that looks supremely ugly.

Sajjaja

How the heck to I disable the controller in Metro 2033? My DS3 isn't even connected to the PC and I can't use mouse and keyboard on the menus. I get to the main menu and it says "Press Start button to begin." What.....

Jawmuncher

How the heck to I disable the controller in Metro 2033? My DS3 isn't even connected to the PC and I can't use mouse and keyboard on the menus. I get to the main menu and it says "Press Start button to begin." What.....

have the controller connected when you start then disconnect it.
Worked for me awhile back.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge

I ran into the same issue and luckily there was a fix on the Steam forums if you want it disabled for good

JottiLF said:
I was annoyed by this "design choice" as well so I grabbed x360ce vibmod and made a small modification to the stock config. I put the relevant files inside a ZIP and uploaded it here: http://jotti.org/nox360.zip

Just download and extract to the game dir (e.g. C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\metro 2033) and Metro 2033 should not find your controller anymore, while leaving it enabled for other games. I use this with several games, it should work with most.

DocSeuss

You have good taste. Those are two of my favorite games of all time.

They are the two greatest games of all time, so this is not a surprise. :D

What's your prescription for me Doc? I just setup my gaming PC and I've had steam for all of 2 weeks.

System Shock 2, Thief, Max Payne 1 and 2 are the games I think everyone SHOULD play.

For someone who's just getting into PC stuff... Age of Empires 2 is always recommended. I love World in Conflict. Kinda disorganized right now. Titanfall is a blast.

Tropico 4. Above all else. Grab the demo and see if you like it.

Grief.exe

System Shock 2, Thief, Max Payne 1 and 2 are the games I think everyone SHOULD play.

For someone who's just getting into PC stuff... Age of Empires 2 is always recommended. I love World in Conflict. Kinda disorganized right now. Titanfall is a blast.

Tropico 4. Above all else. Grab the demo and see if you like it.

I wonder if Banished will become the new go-to recommend for city builders. Its probably not deep enough, I've heard once the game clicks you can just ascend to the top fairly easily.

DocSeuss

I wonder if Banished will become the new go-to recommend for city builders. Its probably not deep enough, I've heard once the game clicks you can just ascend to the top fairly easily.

I enjoy it, but it's not QUITE the thing I want. There's some... stuff missing. I'm not sure what.

maty

I don't know if it has been mentioned but I'm liking the new interface groupees is using to display the bundles you bought from them. Much more organized and most importantly the option to mark keys as used is a great new feature. This is an excellent way to keep track of which games were activated and which not.

On a different note, does anyone know if thegreenlightbundle.com is still distributing steam keys for games that were greenlit?. I bought a bundle which included Krunch and Constant C, both are being released in the following days or are already on the store.

Deques

I don't know if it has been mentioned but I'm liking the new interface groupees is using to display the bundles you bought from them. Much more organized and most importantly the option to mark keys as used is a great new feature. This is an excellent way to keep track of which games were activated and which not.

On a different note, does anyone know if thegreenlightbundle.com is still distributing steam keys for games that were greenlit?. I bought a bundle which included Krunch and Constant C, both are being released in the following days or are already on the store.

Wow, I really like the new interface. And the option to mark if the key is used: WONDERFUL!

Is the PC version going to suffer the lighting/texture downgrade at all or is it the console versions only?

After the mess that was Dark Souls 1 on PC I'd be surprised if From/NamcoBandai could put together an even halfway competent port, let alone one that is better than the 360/PS3 version.

The PC version hits in a little over a month and nobody official has bothered to comment on the current release. It's not looking good.

The PC version hits in a little over a month and nobody official has bothered to comment on the current release. It's not looking good.

I really can't see what there needs to be commented on the current release.

"Sorry, the game ran like shit so we had to reduce following effects:

- effect_i.pdx
- effect_x.pdx

The way that this was done /* any gibberish here can do because reading Digital Foundry articles makes people tech wizards */. Also before release the following texture sheets were modified:

/* list of texture.png's with Date Modifieds */

In addition, these models have a reduced quality by one LOD:

/* list of models */

But don't worry, here is the current stable build of the PC version, click here to download the source.

<link>

We are really sorry about false advertising our product, hopefully you aren't too mad at us but if you are, sorry.

Signed

/* every individual who has worked with Dark Souls 2, Dark Souls 1 or any FROM software product in the past or future*/

aku:jiki

Almost completed Hexcells and I've enjoyed it so much that it's pretty disappointing that it only has about 2 hours of content, and that's only 2 hours if you're sloppy and make dumb clicks without thinking like I do. Great and soothing game, but it could've used just a little more content and it's a little on the easy side. (I guess this means I have to get Plus...)

I think I hit the wall that makes Prime World: Defenders really dumb too. Where I am now, all my most vital towers are too underpowered to even play the grinding levels very well. At this point, pretty much the only non-frustrating thing I can do is log in every day and check the daily deal in the shop for cards I need to proceed. Kinda boring.

Rogue's Tale is coming to Steam on March 28.

It's been out on Desura for a long time now, so someone might already have impressions of the game.
Does anyone have it? Looks like it might actually be A Proper Roguelike to me!

Onionkid

I've been so into DS2 and Titanfall that I haven't read this thread much...is there a consensus on Mitsurugi Kamui Mikae? Screens look nice enough for an action game...any decent gameplay there?

Edit: So I got One Finger Death Punch from a bundle, and I'm basically not willing to play it because it's a Silver Dollar Games title. Is it actually good? If you've been a fan of the Xbox Live Indie Games section, I'm sure that name stabs you in the heart. Did they really make a *good* game?!

zkylon

zkylewd
I also really liked this one

Yes, a change in art direction is part of it, but only a small one.
to be honest i never thought that blown out style looked too good either. i think the mansion pictures show the best how much atmosphere was lost.

these pícs while they look worse i bet they play much better. the e3 trailer for me looked like those skyrim mods that people like so much that has a lot of saturation and depth of field and contrast and i just don't like that at all.

like the time i played new vegas with an enb mod i just got headaches in like 5 minutes

KenOD

Oh no, when did woo and indeed hoo become old and grumpy?

What's your prescription for me Doc? I just setup my gaming PC and I've had steam for all of 2 weeks.

I'm not Doc, but I am a duck, so let me suggest a game for you as well. It's free, so no harm in trying.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/250600

Almost completed Hexcells and I've enjoyed it so much that it's pretty disappointing that it only has about 2 hours of content, and that's only 2 hours if you're sloppy and make dumb clicks without thinking like I do. Great and soothing game, but it could've used just a little more content and it's a little on the easy side. (I guess this means I have to get Plus...)

Likewise for needing to get Plus just to have more of it, but still a shame the standard doesn't have more.

If you are looking for more of this hexagon shaped puzzle with perhaps some dumb clicks occurring, but still nice and soothing, you should try out Fractal: Make Blooms Not War
Not minesweeper like for figuring out how many are nearby or anything, but all the same the comparisons are easy to spot despite being of a different sort.

Edit: So I got One Finger Death Punch from a bundle, and I'm basically not willing to play it because it's a Silver Dollar Games title. Is it actually good? If you've been a fan of the Xbox Live Indie Games section, I'm sure that name stabs you in the heart. Did they really make a *good* game?!

I'm more than familiar with SDG's output, but apparently One Finger Death Punch is legit.
Give it a shot. Can't be any worse than No Luca No right?

Mitsurugi Kamui is a decent little arena slasher. I wouldn't go in expecting too much though.

Knurek

All puzzle games should come with either weekly DLC packs or Workshop support for user submitted puzzles.

KenOD

All puzzle games should come with either weekly DLC packs or Workshop support for user submitted puzzles.

Aye. I'm still playing Picross, Picross 3D, Pushmo, and Crashmo because of all the DLC and custom creations easily shared. More need to take inspiration from titles like those.

Wok

I hate Spelunky so much right now. I was doing my most perfect playthrough and died in Olmec's level to a bomb hidden in the chests upstairs: the chest was thrown in the air and just happened to hit my character. I had 20 bombs, 20 ropes and one heart.

At the start of the temple:

At the start of Olmec, before looting the chests:

Death by looting five chests, one of which is trapped:

Lesson learnt? Do not be greedy: if you have enough bombs, do not open other chests and beat Olmec.

milena87

Discovering that The Witcher 3 has been delayed to next February is not the best way to start the day ç_ç

I guess that, on the bright side, I'll have a bit more time to upgrade my graphic card and get a new surround system...

Aerocrane

I've been so into DS2 and Titanfall that I haven't read this thread much...is there a consensus on Mitsurugi Kamui Mikae? Screens look nice enough for an action game...any decent gameplay there?

Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae has a demo on Playism.

One Finger Death Punch is a fun game, but the art style and UI are pretty terrible. The Steam store page has a couple trailers for it which show the gameplay.

Tizoc

Play One Finger Death Punch. Go grab it from BundleStars.com

THe other day I wanted to finish up Thief Chapter 3, but started OFDP instead. I spent an hour playing it and had more fun with it than the 2+ hours I spent on Thief 2014 prior.
It's THAT fucking good and will make you feel like a badass.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
After the mess that was Dark Souls 1 on PC I'd be surprised if From/NamcoBandai could put together an even halfway competent port, let alone one that is better than the 360/PS3 version.

The Dark Souls PC port wasn't that bad, especially for a first effort only made because fans screamed for it. Better then the console versions from the box (oh god blight town) and fairly optimized. It just missed a whole lot of graphical bells, good m+k controls, resolutions and worst of all, it had GFWL.
But beside all that, it was fairly decent. Fans wanted a port and, well, they got it. A simple but working one. I preffer that over a buggy and crashing AC IV anyday of the week.

I just hope they've learnt from it. I won't be so forgiving if DS II has the same problems. But I doubt it. And if it does, we'll alway's have Durante. :p

Arthea

Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae is a nice game if you are fond of batshit insane combo count (in Musou way). I almost did 500 hits combo in my first attack lol. I could have, but my attention somehow slipped and I let demon attack to connect. It plays nicely, although I don't like default controls, as I said yesterday, for the sake of all fun and good I hope game will let me to remap them.

aku:jiki

I've perfected maybe 15-20 levels so far and I have to say that what they made is a fun game, but not necessarily a very good one.

It's almost a rhythm game and there's a ton of things that suddenly, and without warning, change the tempo, which is just confusing and annoying. There's also a crapton of random elements which are not very conducive to the nature of a score attack-type game; it just leads to having to try over and over until you get a run without something unexpected screwing you over. I personally hate it when your button press randomly turns into a dodge rather than a punch, since it moves your character and momentarily confuses you as to who you should be attacking first, and it only happens like 2% of the time so it's hard to get used to.

Not trying to completely rag on it since it is fun and very addictive, but it's not exactly genius game design. I do love the hell out of the sword rounds!

Aye. I'm still playing Picross, Picross 3D, Pushmo, and Crashmo because of all the DLC and custom creations easily shared. More need to take inspiration from titles like those.
What, Picross 3D?! Tell me there's a clone of that on Steam!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom