• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthea

Talking about One Finger Death Punch.
I admit that I'm half blind, so I may be wrong in this, but a game seems to have some glitches. I reran one level 5 times, and I'm 100% sure I don't miss single hit, a game insist I missed one... all 5 times. WTH?
Also I wouldn't suggest playing it and Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae. It gets a tad confusing (><)

What, Picross 3D?! Tell me there's a clone of that on Steam!

I wish there was :(

Tizoc

GMG sent me a 20% discount code for Elder Scrolls Online that also offers access to the Beta, PM me if anyone wants it and I'll get back to you as soon as I'm free (working on Yaiba OT atm XP)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It would seem that GamersGate took notice of how wildly successful Valve's elongated L4D2 Daily was and decided to do the same with WRC 3. Pity it's not a Steam key.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Lesson learnt? Do not be greedy: if you have enough bombs, do not open other chests and beat Olmec.

haha! That's the feeling of Spelunky!

I recently went to hell and got to Yama with no bombs since 4-1..

6279ECA1D121B9F362581F7D94FDFF002CE156B9

spoiler image of Yama

I managed to kill him too, but just as he exploded he caused a block to fall down on me and insta-kill me (had 15 hearts).

Dat feel

Tizoc

in share defiance of that price, waiting until it hits $10!
that will teach them :(

TBH it really should've been $50 for the base price. I'm just stubborn that way that if a game has a digital release it shouldn't cost as much as retail.

For some reason I suspect the game may drop in price as it approaches release date, if only because the sales were very low or non existant.

As Jase said, you might be able to get it cheaper thru Russian traders.

For that matter, I e-mailed GMG and was informed that the game has no ETA on GMG, hopefully it arrives by the last few days before release, I may be able to get it for $40 orless XP.

Divius

Man I am the absolute worst Spelunky player ever. 37 hours. I fought Olmec once.
(and I died obviously)
edit: 9 out of 10 times I don't even reach the third area, or second for that matter.

Arthea

TBH it really should've been $50 for the base price. I'm just stubborn that way that if a game has a digital release it shouldn't cost as much as retail.

For some reason I suspect the game may drop in price as it approaches release date, if only because the sales were very low or non existant.

As Jase said, you might be able to get it cheaper thru Russian traders.

For that matter, I e-mailed GMG and was informed that the game has no ETA on GMG, hopefully it arrives by the last few days before release, I may be able to get it for $40 orless XP.

it has 20% discount going right now, but it's still ridiculous base price.
Last time I paid that price was for Ni no Kuni, and do I regret paying it to this day!

Ya, I could buy it from russian store, otoh I can wait too.

Go play the Hexcells games. It's Picross meets Minesweaper.

Hexcells is a very nice little game, but it's not Picross 3D by any stretch of imagination. ;)

Arthea

aww, xseed forums are down.
I will hope that it's down because of Trails release date was finally announced!

thanks for Leftovers, anonymous benefactor!

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Tiny and Big Grandpas Leftovers -- MB-3B0D5BAE45562139 - Taken by Arthea
Adventures of Shuggy -- MB-6B5740D12774E218 - Taken by Blablurn
Paranormal -- MB-B54C335F7F3DC338 - Taken by zeroOman
Hexcells -- MB-A11794E387D139E4 - Taken by mannerbot

aku:jiki

Ouch, I see that Kickstarted FPS Takedown isn't doing so hot... 90% sale already! No wonder though; it always looked like a really crap version of CS and I have no idea how or why it was KS'd.

Go play the Hexcells games. It's Picross meets Minesweaper.
Hexcells is what we're talking about, man! It's great but so short.

Blablurn

Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Tiny and Big Grandpas Leftovers -- MB-3B0D5BAE45562139 - Taken by Arthea
Adventures of Shuggy -- MB-6B5740D12774E218 - Taken by Blablurn
Paranormal -- MB-B54C335F7F3DC338 - Taken by zeroOman
Hexcells -- MB-A11794E387D139E4

Thank you based ModBot

Jawmuncher

I really wish there was a way to stream your desktop without wifi.
I could play these VNs so much more comfortably if I could just use my iPad.

derExperte

If you are looking for more of this hexagon shaped puzzle with perhaps some dumb clicks occurring, but still nice and soothing, you should try out Fractal: Make Blooms Not War
Not minesweeper like for figuring out how many are nearby or anything, but all the same the comparisons are easy to spot despite being of a different sort.

Maybe I'm dumb but about two hours in Fractal basically became trial and much error, too complex and impossible to predict for me. Have yet tot try Hexcells.

Maybe I'm dumb but about two hours in Fractal basically became trial and much error, too complex and impossible to predict for me. Have yet tot try Hexcells.

I recommend Hexcells. It is very short and light on content (and the controls never felt "right") but it is good for about an hour.

Some more quick thoughts (mostly Bundlestars games with a couple of extras):

CreaVures: A pretty game, in that "like Trine is pretty but it is hard to care" kind of way. Unfortunately it seems they put all the effort into the graphics, because the actual platforming is stiff, kind of pointless and not very interesting at all.
Fractal: Make Blooms not war: Nice presentation, kind of a dull concept and I gave up after a few minutes. You push blocks to create blocks to create a pattern and yeah, it all seems a bit random and didn't grab me enough to bother learning it more.
Critical Mass: A typical match 3 block game, only in 3D. It is actually well put together and demonstrates the game concept well. But I don't think the actual game concept is a particularly good one, it is just too fiddly and not much fun to turn the cube around to match up the colours.
One Finger Death Punch: This is more like it. The presentation is a little rough, but it is a fun game to play as you hit your left and right buttons in time with the enemies. It starts simple but gets tough quickly, without feeling too unfair. Worth picking up the bundle for.
Trapped Dead: Surprised me a little by being better than I thought. It is a commandos type of take on zombies and features some nicely constructed areas and about every zombie cliche in the book. It isn't near interesting enough to keep you playing, but it isn't the worst effort ever made and is at least worth a look.
Gnomoria: Worth just mentioning again because I took more time to play it. There are a few bugs, like menus which sometimes don't refresh properly and some clunkiness around automatic build queues (you will have to step in from time to time). But once you scratch the surface you start to understand how the worlds are put together and the ability to dig down into the surface just gives you massive scope for constructing a great little town. It still might be very hard to get into, but I feel the reward is there (and it should keep getting better).

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Got some duplicate keys for Oblivion GOTY Deluxe and Morrowind GOTY with my recent TES Anthology purchase. Not sure if they're Steam redeemable so I am not gonna do a ModBot giveaway. If they work, let me know. Quote to Reveal

Tizoc

it has 20% discount going right now, but it's still ridiculous base price.
Last time I paid that price was for Ni no Kuni, and do I regret paying it to this day!

Ya, I could buy it from russian store, otoh I can wait too.

Hexcells is a very nice little game, but it's not Picross 3D by any stretch of imagination. ;)
I liked Ni no Kuni =P

I got Thief ro $30, not regretting it but I don't feel arsed to play through it XO

I'll try to put some time into it today and finish Mission 3.

Arthea

Hexcells is opposite, entirely logic based, except one level which had 3 guesses to be made, if I remember correctly and a game is really nice, good choice of music too. It's a bit short, though.

Deques

Got some duplicate keys for Oblivion GOTY Deluxe and Morrowind GOTY with my recent TES Anthology purchase. Not sure if they're Steam redeemable so I am not gonna do a ModBot giveaway. If they work, let me know. Quote to Reveal

Both are invalid. Wanted Morrowind :(

Hexcells is opposite, entirely logic based, except one level which had 3 guesses to be made, if I remember correctly and a game is really nice, good choice of music too. It's a bit short, though.

Glad you said that. I think I know the level you are talking about and I was wondering if I was missing some technique beyond a blind guess (or a guess and then a restart to get it right)

Knurek

I haven't played the game yet, but people on Steam forums are saying there are no guesses necessary for the game.

Arthea

I haven't played the game yet, but people on Steam forums are saying there are no guesses necessary for the game.

well, they are wrong. It's not the first time too ;)
I played through the game twice, as any achievements weren't registering the first time (maybe steam was down, I dunno), that's why I remember it quite good. In one level you have to make some guesses, the only thing I'm not sure about, were it 2 or 3 guesses.

Well, some Picross puzzles looked also like they'd require guessing until I learned/devised advanced techniques - maybe it's the same here?

nope, you can choose who to believe though (><)

Knurek

well, they are wrong. It's not the first time too ;)
I played through the game twice, as any achievements weren't registering the first time (maybe steam was down, I dunno), that's why I remember it quite good. In one level you have to make some guesses, the only thing I'm not sure about, was it 2 or 3 guesses.

Well, some Picross puzzles looked also like they'd require guessing until I learned/devised advanced techniques - maybe it's the same here?

derExperte

Sounds good, after the utterly fantastic, always logical but in places rather hard Tetrobots I could use something easier and shorter. I'll also recommend the overlooked Splice, innovative and fair. http://store.steampowered.com/app/209790

For example the hex on the far right:

capturelnjxh.png

To me there is no way of knowing if it is included or not (short of solving the entire puzzle and seeing you have two cells remaining). But I'm sure there are other examples.

Arthea

capturelnjxh.png

To me there is no way of knowing if it is included or not.

By logic it should be the hex with number 2 on it. Isn't it?

Sounds good, after the utterly fantastic, always logical but in places rather hard Tetrobots I could use something easier and shorter. I'll also recommend the overlooked Splice, innovative and fair. http://store.steampowered.com/app/209790

It seems I don't have and Tetrobots and Splice, Tetrobots seems to platformer though, so that's understandable, while Splice looks more like it, although it remains unclear how it plays. I remember already considering that one at some point.

Knurek

capturelnjxh.png

To me there is no way of knowing if it is included or not (short of solving the entire puzzle and seeing you have two cells remaining). But I'm sure there are other examples.

You do have a remaining number of cells to be colored, right?

Arthea

You do have a remaining number of cells to be colored, right?

This actually doesn't work in level I was talking about, as you have twice as much uncovered hexes, as there are coloured hexes left and you have to guess their position regardless.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
this Planet Explorers game on early access looks cool. its also already 4th in sales... another Rust type story incoming?

Bit of SteamGaf fun since Hexcells is on topic tonight:

(Numbers indicate the number of blue cells around a cell or in the line (there are other mechanics but I've solved them for simplicity))

Q. What move is next and why?

derExperte

It seems I don't have and Tetrobots and Splice, Tetrobots seems to platformer though, so that's understandable, while Splice looks more like it, although it remains unclear how it plays. I remember already considering that one at some point.

Tetrobot isn't a platformer at all, it's designed for mouse control and you click to send the robot somewhere. There's also a rewind function so it's all about the puzzles, no penalty for an error.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom