• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dolor

Wargame:Red Dragon preorder is 25% off for Wargame:Airland Battle owners.

I am ok with this. AirLand Battle is good but pretty hard by my standards. It's extremely fast-paced and broad for an RTS, but it is clearly a quality game.

Just read about how DSII punishes repeated deaths by cutting max health down to 50%... either they are making human effigies to be particularly common drops or they're taking the difficulty thing a tad too far...

Things like this (and no cards) are what is stopping me from pre-ordering this. I love Dark Souls for much of what it is (fantasy RPG, skill matters, etc), but the difficulty curve is bit much for me at times.

Great deal. Arkham Origins is so good.

Hnnng. Tempting.

Garcia

DS2 update: My original plan was (since I didn't get a refund) to beat the game and immediately re-sell it for a profit. . . Right now I'm even considering doing that before I even complete it.

The loading times are killing me, 39 seconds just a moment ago.

Tellaerin

It's another thing I'll always hold a grudge against Sony for. The original Playstation popularized that style of physics and convinced an entire generation that platformers are this loose, tepid genre of mediocrity.

If the Playstation hadn't existed, Euro devs would've just written their "floaty" platformers for the Saturn instead. Seems a bit silly to blame the PS1 for that.

Any word on the Steam Controller lately?

Last I heard about it was 2 months ago when they announced they were removing the touch screen. I still really want one! :(

Pachimari

kHgxuEg.jpg

BAFTA Nominated Sale.
http://store.steampowered.com/sale/baftapromo

How many hours since the sale started?

I might have time tomorrow to put some money on my bank account for these sales.

Surely you mean "disagree," because what he was agreeing with is empirical truth. Rayman is a platformer with floaty physics descended from the glut of European-developed platformers popularized on the Playstation.

Definitely disagree, but I do not concur that your assertion of "empirical truth" is correct.

Lots of people like to claim their opinions as fact. Floaty is a broad and inspecific term as far as I'm concerned; one that depends on the end user's perception.

DS2 update: My original plan was (since I didn't get a refund) to beat the game and immediately re-sell it for a profit. . . Right now I'm even considering doing that before I even complete it.

Gross. As if the downgrade wasn't a reason enough to bail in the first place. I fully support your idea of bailing; I've put in a refund request for my pre-purchase of Dark Souls II from GMG at this point. I can re-buy it if my fears are unfounded at a later point in time.

I liked Rayman more on my iPad then on my PC. I deleted a family shared copy of Origins after like 3 levels.

You heathen. >_<

Tizoc

Does anyone have Riptide GP2? If so could you spare some time for a quick online session? Just hit me up on Steam chat, I'll be around for the next few minutes.

I'm sure the long loading times are a game design choice, FROM wants to test your patience and only true hardcore gamers will endure these loading times.

Arthea

The store doesn't load for me again. It's so nice of Valve to save my money. Should I write thank you e-mail? What do you think?

Anteater

fuck yeaahh beat one finger death punch on student mode, that took a while, but didn't unlock all the power ups

game is simplistic and fun and punish you for mashing most of the time, only problem is that I find the weapons and slowdowns confuse me sometime, like I didn't know I have a weapon in hand because I pay too much attention to the button prompts

tumblr_mdt1jnulti1rdsmcrx6.gif

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
If the Playstation hadn't existed, Euro devs would've just written their "floaty" platformers for the Saturn instead. Seems a bit silly to blame the PS1 for that.

Yet those games weren't prominent on the N64 or Saturn, for the most part. And those systems had good platformers without wrong physics. And for the ones that do exist, there doesn't appear to be fond memories attached to those kinds of games appearing on those systems.

If you want me to dig deep on this, I'd wager it's a combination of factors: there is no benchmark franchise to compete with on the Playstation and it's an early version of the Sony Stockholm syndrome, or, as I've come to call it in modern times: 599/10 (five-ninety-nine-out-of-ten). Fans of a platform are desperate to justify their investment and therefore will trump up anything passable as a justification to own said platform.

Definitely disagree, but I do not concur that your assertion of "empirical truth" is correct.

Lots of people like to claim their opinions as fact. Floaty is a broad and inspecific term as far as I'm concerned; one that depends on the end user's perception.

We're not comparing theories in a vacuum, here. Compare Rayman's physics to a game that isn't described as floaty: Mario. Rayman is floaty. Whether you like that or have a higher tolerance for it is irrelevant to the claim.

Speaking of Rayman, I platimuned the Vita version of Origins yesterday (yay!).

If anyone gets the PC version of Legends, you can add me on Uplay. Already got every achievement the game has but I still play the daily challenges very often.

Steam/Uplay ID: MadrugadorDG

HoosTrax

fuck yeaahh beat one finger death punch on student mode, that took a while, but didn't unlock all the power ups

game is simplistic and fun and punish you for mashing most of the time, only problem is that I find the weapons and slowdowns confuse me sometime, like I didn't know I have a weapon in hand because I pay too much attention to the button prompts

tumblr_mdt1jnulti1rdsmcrx6.gif
I found it a bit strange that the game increases the overall speed when you perform well, instead of giving you the option of setting it yourself. At times, I've felt almost compelled to take a dive and lose intentionally to get to game to drop the speed a bit.

Jawmuncher

Hoping for the tomb raider collection to hit dirt cheap like Thief and Soul Reaver early this year,
That way I can enjoy the good tomb raider games.

Tizoc

I should get TR Underworld once I can find it for under $2 like on GMG. I keep forgetting to get it for my Steam collection =P

For that matter, I'm updating my NVidia driver with the GeForce 335.23.
It's taking a really long time, is that normal?

Jawmuncher

If you release a game on Steam at this point, I don't care how old, it should at least have achievements.

Both Achievements and Trading Cards seem like an incredibly cheap way to increase the value of your game.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/275570/

header_292x136.jpg

Hey cut summoner some slack. Not even THQ put the game up when they had no reason not to. With that said game was all kinds of fun back in the day when I played it on PS2. Not sure how well it holds up now but i'm fairly certain if you like Euro Jank RPGs you'll like this since that's probably where it fits now in terms of quality.

Now i'm kinda wishing Nordic games had gotten a hold of midway. It's pretty apparent they want to make the most of their purchase of THQ. Meaning had they got the midway rights we'd probably be seeing Wheelman, along with The Suffering, and Psi-Ops already on the store. Shame Warner Bros is just sitting on those.

HoosTrax

If you release a game on Steam at this point, I don't care how old, it should at least have achievements.

Both Achievements and Trading Cards seem like an incredibly cheap way to increase the value of your game.

I can do without them in adventure games. There definitely are newish games without them that should have them though. It's especially odd when arcade-ish indie games don't have them. Not much excuse other than laziness (even Flash games can support achievements).

Knurek

HoosTrax said:
I found it a bit strange that the game increases the overall speed when you perform well, instead of giving you the option of setting it yourself. At times, I've felt almost compelled to take a dive and lose intentionally to get to game to drop the speed a bit.

That's called a rank system, used extensively by a lot of arcade games.

Oh god, that looks so bad

Tizoc

Huh I used Task Manager to turn off the NVidia installer.
I run it again and it shows me that the new update for GeForce is installed.

I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but Civ 5's Brave New World expansion is 75% off for the next 21 hours.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/235580/
civ_5_brave_new_world_expnsn_announced_bnr.jpg

Which leads me to the question: How much better is BNW than Gods & Kings? I just started playing Civ 5 about a week ago and I am loving it. I have the G&K expansion and I think it's great. Would I like BNW even more? I'm kind of hesitant to buy it since I'm so new to the game, I'm wondering if I should spend more time getting used to the expansion I already own rather than diving into a brand new one so soon.

Arthea

I very much recommend Unholy Heights, which is on sale now.
It's one insane game that nobody knows which genre it belongs to, only that it's unholy good and even more evil.
It's tagged as tower deference by community. That's a lie.

Grief.exe

Half-Life 1 and Half-Life 2 covers. Went incredibly minimal on the former.

I can't agree with you more. I understand that implementing achievements can be problem in older games, but not having cards?

Yes, that might be the one caveat where the expense of adding in achievements might be too expensive.

Trading Cards/Cloud Support though? That seems trivial and implemented separately from the game development as well.

I agree. I'll add in cloud support as well.

I don't really use that feature too much, but of the three, I would imagine Cloud Support implementation is the easiest.

header_292x136.jpg

Hey cut summoner some slack..

I'm not really calling them out specifically, just more of a blanket suggestion.

I can do without them in adventure games. There definitely are newish games without them that should have them though. It's especially odd when arcade-ish indie games don't have them. Not much excuse other than laziness (even Flash games can support achievements).

See: Binding of Isaac

Even though the implementation of it in that game is incredibly glitchy. Flash drags that game down in so many ways, can't wait for Rebirth.

Huh I used Task Manager to turn off the NVidia installer.
I run it again and it shows me that the new update for GeForce is installed.

Never even install that.

Just select Custom Install and only select the graphics driver and PhysX

Yet those games weren't prominent on the N64 or Saturn, for the most part. And those systems had good platformers without wrong physics. And for the ones that do exist, there doesn't appear to be fond memories attached to those kinds of games appearing on those systems.

If you want me to dig deep on this, I'd wager it's a combination of factors: there is no benchmark franchise to compete with on the Playstation and it's an early version of the Sony Stockholm syndrome, or, as I've come to call it in modern times: 599/10 (five-ninety-nine-out-of-ten). Fans of a platform are desperate to justify their investment and therefore will trump up anything passable as a justification to own said platform.

We're not comparing theories in a vacuum, here. Compare Rayman's physics to a game that isn't described as floaty: Mario. Rayman is floaty. Whether you like that or have a higher tolerance for it is irrelevant to the claim.

Considering I put Rayman Origins on the same level of platforming awesome as Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario World (which were my favorites previously), I would not say that Mario isn't floaty and Rayman is.

Arthea

Again, I think I said that earlier, but it looks more like a 2D Dungeon Keeper (DOS one, not the new travesty).

well as I said then, it's not really like DK, but closer to it than to any kind of tower defence. Dunno what community has in mind at times, it's incomprehensible.

I very much recommend Unholy Heights, which is on sale now.
It's one insane game that nobody knows which genre it belongs to, only that it's unholy good and even more evil.
It's tagged as tower deference by community. That's a lie.
I've been eyeing it, even though I didn't have much of an idea what it was about.

It was just announced for 3DS though, so I think I might wait for that version, what it is, it looks like it may work well as a portable game.

Tellaerin

header_292x136.jpg

Hey cut summoner some slack. Not even THQ put the game up when they had no reason not to. With that said game was all kinds of fun back in the day when I played it on PS2. Not sure how well it holds up now but i'm fairly certain if you like Euro Jank RPGs you'll like this since that's probably where it fits now in terms of quality.

Now i'm kinda wishing Nordic games had gotten a hold of midway. It's pretty apparent they want to make the most of their purchase of THQ. Meaning had they got the midway rights we'd probably be seeing Wheelman, along with The Suffering, and Psi-Ops already on the store. Shame Warner Bros is just sitting on those.

Wow, Summoner's on Steam? I may need to pick that up - like Sudeki, it was another one of those RPGs that I really wanted to play back when it was first released, but never had the chance to.

I don't really use that feature too much, but of the three, I would imagine Cloud Support implementation is the easiest.
I haven't used it myself, but I understand its value and want it to be offered as often as possible.

I believe you are right though, I think all the developer has to do is point to a save file or folder to flag it for cloud support.

Knurek

well as I said then, it's not really like DK, but closer to it than to any kind of tower defence. Dunno what community has in mind at times, it's incomprehensible.

Steam reviews for the game:

"First game to allow you to track the masturbation schedule of sentient flowers, winner of Most Innovative Game of 2013."

Now if that doesn't convince people to buy it, I don't know what will.

Bafta sale is quite nice. And I feel bad for not picking up some of those titles. But I almost expect some of them to be in indie bundles around GDC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom