• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.
How bad are the QTEs?

unnecessary and entirely front loaded. With all the complaining, you would think the whole game is QTE's. It's not.

If you release a game on Steam at this point, I don't care how old, it should at least have achievements.

Both Achievements and Trading Cards seem like an incredibly cheap way to increase the value of your game.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/275570/

I literally have that game on PS2 right now. Awesome.

Oh god, that looks so bad

..it's a PS2 game.

Jawmuncher

Wow, Summoner's on Steam? I may need to pick that up - like Sudeki, it was another one of those RPGs that I really wanted to play back when it was first released, but never had the chance to.

Pleases me that they both released for 4.99
Hope they both go 50% off during the summer sale. 5 for both is a steal.
I'm all for older releases priced appropriately

Backlogger

For that matter, I'm updating my NVidia driver with the GeForce 335.23.
It's taking a really long time, is that normal?

That happens to me about 50% of the time

Huh I used Task Manager to turn off the NVidia installer.
I run it again and it shows me that the new update for GeForce is installed.

Yep, this is also what happens to me. If it hangs for more than a couple mins I just force quit, restart and check for the update again. Every time it shows as installed.

Arthea

I've been eyeing it, even though I didn't have much of an idea what it was about.

It was just announced for 3DS though, so I think I might wait for that version, what it is, it looks like it may work well as a portable game.

to put it bluntly, it's an evil landlord bent on world domination sim (><)
But it doesn't say much about gameplay, which is, how to put it, special. You just need to experience a game that I rage quit and still plan to play!

Steam reviews for the game:

"First game to allow you to track the masturbation schedule of sentient flowers, winner of Most Innovative Game of 2013."

Now if that doesn't convince people to buy it, I don't know what will.

that should help (><)
but I think removing tower defence tag would help even more.

Summoner 1... ehh... maybe it runs better on PC but it was a *mess* on PS2. horrific load times, camera angle set too high, framey as heck, etc. Interesting story though, and not bad combat system if you can get past the engine jank.

Summoner 2, on the other hand, was super fun. Different cast, different mechanics. More of an faster-paced action RPG (along with some nation-management elements at times where you are forced to adjucate decisions), I remember having an absolute blast with it

Arthea

Summoner wasn't considered good even when it was released and there was not too much contest at time it was released. I never finished it, BTW, and don't even remembered until today

Knurek

..it's a PS2 game.

So is this
imu4GD8kTtL0v.jpg
or this:
or this:

Being on PS2 shouldn't automatically mean bad graphics.

Origins was AMAZING. Legends is good, but that's a partial assumption based on my experience with the Vita version and imagining that I'm controlling the player character and not Murfy in those accursed touch levels.

Well, to be honest I haven't finished Legends yet because I am playing it with my girlfriend and she isn't in the mood for playing very often if ever. I did finish Origins almost 100% and loved every second of it.

No problems with Murfy levels as the controls work well in the PC version.

Jawmuncher

Summoner 1... ehh... maybe it runs better on PC but it was a *mess* on PS2. horrific load times, camera angle set too high, framey as heck, etc. Interesting story though, and not bad combat system if you can get past the engine jank.

Summoner 2, on the other hand, was super fun. Different cast, different mechanics. More of an faster-paced action RPG (along with some nation-management elements at times where you are forced to adjucate decisions), I remember having an absolute blast with it

I know in the case of Summoner 1 that it was a PC game on PS2 thus why the port was bad if you couldn't get past those things. Summoner 2 was console first with a planned but cancelled PC release. Shame since I would love to play it since as you stated I have heard it's better than the 1st game even though it's a bit different especially the gamecube version which added a few more things.

FAKE ASS EDIT- never knew about that D&D skitch in summoner...i never skip the credits in any game.

GuardsmanGreg

Neo Member
I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but Civ 5's Brave New World expansion is 75% off for the next 21 hours.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/235580/
civ_5_brave_new_world_expnsn_announced_bnr.jpg

Which leads me to the question: How much better is BNW than Gods & Kings? I just started playing Civ 5 about a week ago and I am loving it. I have the G&K expansion and I think it's great. Would I like BNW even more? I'm kind of hesitant to buy it since I'm so new to the game, I'm wondering if I should spend more time getting used to the expansion I already own rather than diving into a brand new one so soon.

I really recommend grabbing it as it fleshes out a bunch of the concepts in GnK, overhauls quite a bit of oddities in Vanilla (Like the god awful Cultural victories), and introduces enough new elements to make it a vital expansion. It also removes the gold from water tiles which makes gold actually kind of hard to come by, which is something I feel is vital to the game's balance. Brave New World does nothing but add to the Game, but not as much as Civ V->GnK.

Opposite experience for me. Summoner 1 was tons of fun, but I never got into the sequel because it never made it to PC.

I really recommend grabbing it as it fleshes out a bunch of the concepts in GnK, overhauls quite a bit of oddities in Vanilla (Like the god awful Cultural victories), and introduces enough new elements to make it a vital expansion. It also removes the gold from water tiles which makes gold actually kind of hard to come by, which is something I feel is vital to the game's balance. Brave New World does nothing but add to the Game, but not as much as Civ V->GnK.

Thanks for the summary. I'm very tempted to buy it once I get home.

Jawmuncher

Opposite experience for me. Summoner 1 was tons of fun, but I never got into the sequel because it never made it to PC.

I wonder if Nordic games has acess to the unfinished files of Summoner 2. It was planned for PC and even worked on but canceled for some reason. Maybe they could do something there and actually release it.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Considering I put Rayman Origins on the same level of platforming awesome as Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario World (which were my favorites previously), I would not say that Mario isn't floaty and Rayman is.
You're misunderstanding my point. Your opinion (or mine for that matter) of the games is meaningless in determining whether a platformer is floaty.

Rayman does not fall in the same way as Mario. This isn't even an opinion.

Being on PS2 shouldn't automatically mean bad graphics.

Tell that to Dark Souls II.

You're misunderstanding my point. Your opinion (or mine for that matter) of the games is meaningless in determining whether a platformer is floaty.
Rayman does not fall in the same way as Mario. This isn't even an opinion.

Of course it's not exactly the same. Different engines, different animations, different move sets, etc. So yeah, sure, of course there are differences in the "physics". But as to what constitutes floaty? That's up for debate. And while Rayman may not be exactly the same as Mario, it's nothing drastically different like say... LittleBigPlanet. LittleBigPlanet pretty much defines floaty jumping/platforming, so much so that people want to play LittleBigPlanet, try it, then quit because they don't like how the jumps are floaty. Meanwhile in all the discussion I've had regarding Origins and Legends, you and the several posts that agreed with you, are the only ones I've ever seen call Rayman's mechanics "floaty".

Arthea

True, but they were released on the exact same hardware.

This argument is beaten to the earth up to the neck already. But ya, graphically advanced games almost never are released at the start of gen, not only because knowledge of said hardware is limited but time it was available to play with too.

Levyne

Banned
Is that an S4? I paid about 100 to get mine repaired earlier this year. :( You can get cheap DIY kits but I don't trust myself near enough for that.

Salsa

Is that an S4? I paid about 100 to get mine repaired earlier this year. :( You can get cheap DIY kits but I don't trust myself near enough for that.

S3, left it at a shop just now for $100 as well. shattered pretty bad so the dude said it was gonna be hard to take out the current glass correctly and all that, almost dared not to do it jic

here's hoping

please, my Mario Golf money is already on the eShop

Just arrived home. Now I see this, then I look at the Calendar and wonder, why can't I be already playing this fine game on my PC? Another day, another Dark Souls II hype.

Dear sir, how can you not have your hype train dashed by the revelations of the downgrade comparisons? The lack of information about the PC version combined with the comparisons of what has been done to the console versions has killed my hype to the point where I've now cancelled my preorder for the game (and it was once at the level of importing the black armour edition from the UK).

S3, left it at a shop just now for $100 as well. shattered pretty bad so the dude said it was gonna be hard to take out the current glass correctly and all that, almost dared not to do it jic

here's hoping

please, my Mario Golf money is already on the eShop

What the hell happened to that phone?
I bounced mine off the floor at the doctor's office, about a 4 foot drop onto a hard tile floor, and even with my minimal case and screen protector, it was 100% fine.
So either you had some really bad luck with a drop or something epic happened to your phone...

Dear sir, how can you not have your hype train dashed by the revelations of the downgrade comparisons? The lack of information about the PC version combined with the comparisons of what has been done to the console versions has killed my hype to the point where I've now cancelled my preorder for the game (and it was once at the level of importing the black armour edition from the UK).

Personally, I'm patient enough to wait and see if the PC version has the same issue. Getting pre-stressed about stuff like that isn't worth the effort. Also it's a game I was going to play before they showed anything about it. If you're a fan of Dark Souls, you're allowed to be disappointed by it, but bailing out on the game entirely is pretty silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom