• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
crimsonheadGCN said:
Both of the services threw a hissy fit over Steamworks, but it was mainly because of the Modern Warfare 2 announcement. Impulse has totally dropped anything that has Steamworks integrated, while Direct2Drive has not done so. Both services will not be carrying any future Steamworks integrated games though. It's the reason why you don't see Supreme Commander 2 or Aliens vs Predator up for preorder on either service.

Huh, didn't Impulse carry DoW2? What happened to people who bought the game from them? Although, I guess it doesn't matter since those people would have to have installed Steam to play it I suppose.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Doytch said:
Is DoW2's campaign playable without sound? Been meaning to pick it up for a while as a game to play under music. Also have zero interest in the MP since I get decimated normally, and would be destroyed jumping in late.
Well, you can turn the Music, Sound Effect and Voice volume completely down. But I would recommend at least keeping Voices up, for Orky comedy goodness. And Space Marine badassery.

firehawk12 said:
Huh, didn't Impulse carry DoW2? What happened to people who bought the game from them? Although, I guess it doesn't matter since those people would have to have installed Steam to play it I suppose.

It seems that Impulse never carried Dawn of War 2.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hrm, I could have sworn they did, since they carry all the other Relic games. Oh well.

I mean, the debate was already hashed out with the MW2 boycott, but the other services are really in a lose-lose with Steamworks. Lose a potential sale or lose a future customer. What can ya do?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
crimsonheadGCN said:
Both of the services threw a hissy fit over Steamworks, but it was mainly because of the Modern Warfare 2 announcement. Impulse has totally dropped anything that has Steamworks integrated, while Direct2Drive has not done so. Both services will not be carrying any future Steamworks integrated games though. It's the reason why you don't see Supreme Commander 2 or Aliens vs Predator up for preorder on either service.
That's like that move Yoshimitsu has in Tekken, where you put a sword through your own gut in an attempt to hurt your opponent.

JdFoX187

Banned
SapientWolf said:
That's like that move Yoshimitsu has in Tekken, where you put a sword through your own gut in an attempt to hurt your opponent.
I killed myself once doing that accidentally. Was not a good thing :lol

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I need a bit of help. While playing online games. Every 3 or 4 minutes I get this lag bump. It like forwards my character 3 seconds if I kept moving. It's continually happens at that intervolt while playing online games. How do I fix it,.

vocab

shintoki said:
I need a bit of help. While playing online games. Every 3 or 4 minutes I get this lag bump. It like forwards my character 3 seconds if I kept moving. It's continually happens at that intervolt while playing online games. How do I fix it,.

Sounds like laggy internet.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
vocab said:
Sounds like laggy internet.
This is the thing. I don't recall any problems with it. It's just with Steam games.

I've had Comcast since 2002. Same service. Nothing on XBL, PSN, or other PC services. It just seems to happen when going through Steam.

It's not too much of a problem except it makes games like Killing Floor shit when it happens. I really can't level up Berserker to well because of it.

TheExodu5

Banned
shintoki said:
This is the thing. I don't recall any problems with it. It's just with Steam games.

I've had Comcast since 2002. Same service. Nothing on XBL, PSN, or other PC services. It just seems to happen when going through Steam.

It's not too much of a problem except it makes games like Killing Floor shit when it happens. I really can't level up Berserker to well because of it.

Sounds like some sort of traffic shaping to me.

Any reports of Comcast traffic shaping out there?

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
shintoki said:

Are you connected to your router wirelessly? It sounds like it might be the Wireless Zero Configuration.

Wireless Zero Configuration (XP / 2003) and WLAN Autoconfig (Vista) are services through which the operating system manages wireless network adapters. If you don't know what services are, they are a special kind of programs that generally perform some system function and have no direct interaction with the user but "quietly" do their job in the background. On computers with a WLAN adapter, the mentioned services enable connecting to a wireless network.

But those services also scan your "wireless neighborhood" for available networks and they do it every 60 seconds, regardless of whether you are already connected to a network or not. As the average user connects always to a same home or office network, it is clear that this functionality is mostly unnecessary. Furthermore, it gives some users headaches, especially network gamers.

The reason is, while the scanning is in progress, it creates a lag, that is, several seconds of increased latency which impairs "the responsiveness" of the connection. This may not be a big problem when surfing the internet or downloading files, but when it comes to network gaming, a latency spike can get you killed (in the game). XP users can solve this problem by stopping the Wireless Zero Configuration service after connecting

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Servizio said:
Are you connected to your router wirelessly? It sounds like it might be the Wireless Zero Configuration.
Yea...That sounds exactly like it almost. But I never noticed it while surfing the web, watching netflix or hulu. Really anything other than playing online games with Steam.

My PS3 is also wireless but I don't recall it in Uncharted 2 nor Killzone 2.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
legend166 said:
So I finally got around to downloading and installing Red Faction Guerilla.

Is this GFWL Update supposed to take 45 minutes?

That patch wouldn't even work for me. I had to do a quick google search and find some workaround. I ended up manually downloading the patch from somewhere and jumping through some hoops to get it to work.

shintoki said:
Yea...That sounds exactly like it almost. But I never noticed it while surfing the web, watching netflix or hulu. Really anything other than playing online games with Steam.

You would never notice it while browsing, and the netflix has a buffer so any interruptions like that would go unnoticed to the end-user. Go into "services", disable "Windows Zero Config" and use the wireless lan tools provided by the manufacturer.

legend166 said:
So I finally got around to downloading and installing Red Faction Guerilla.

Is this GFWL Update supposed to take 45 minutes?

Saw this on the Steam Red Faction Forum. http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1110429

If that doesn't work I'm sure you can find the step-by-step info on how to do the work-around mentioned above from the same forum.

here it is: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1080973

edit: when I did this work-around about a week ago, I didn't install Raptr and it still updated my game properly.

legend166

blackMamba1187 said:
Saw this on the Steam Red Faction Forum. http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1110429

If that doesn't work I'm sure you can find the step-by-step info on how to do the work-around mentioned above from the same forum.

here it is: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1080973

edit: when I did this work-around about a week ago, I didn't install Raptr and it still updated my game properly.

Yeah, it eventually downloaded and updated. It just took forever. I thought GFWL updates were just small things, and the big patches were delivered through Steam. It just took forever.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
shintoki said:

try www.pingtest.net

hows that looking from your steammachine?

shintoki said:

I had this exact issue, for the longest time I thought it was my computer stuttering because I only really noticed it on Left 4 Dead and in that it just made the game lockup for like 3 seconds.

I'm not sure of another way to sort it but I discovered this program called "Vista Anti Lag" which has worked perfectly for me. Might want to give that a go, if you find another solution though I'd love to hear it.

graywolf323

I'm always bemused that whenever a game gets announced with Steamworks there are threads over on the Steam forums about it and people with over 1,000 posts there are complaining about how Steam is evil

wtf do you post so much about something you apparently hate?

epmode

graywolf323 said:
I'm always bemused that whenever a game gets announced with Steamworks there are threads over on the Steam forums about it and people with over 1,000 posts there are complaining about how Steam is evil

wtf do you post so much about something you apparently hate?
That's nothing. Check the WoW forums.

On second thought, don't go there. It's the worst place on the internet.

1-D_FTW

Can't believe Dirt 2 fell off my radar when it was delayed. Game effing rocks!

Annoying announcer and shit music aside. At least the music can be turned off.

usea

Can I have my friends window thing only show users in groups who are online? Also is there a more compact view that doesn't show avatars?

I joined the gaf l4d2 group, but I'm really at a loss as to how to actually play games with anybody. Random inviting? That's pretty dumb.

I want to be able to tell who wants to play a game at this particular instant. It's a bit of a stretch to assume anybody online wants to play right now.

MNC

usea said:
Can I have my friends window thing only show users in groups who are online? Also is there a more compact view that doesn't show avatars?

I joined the gaf l4d2 group, but I'm really at a loss as to how to actually play games with anybody. Random inviting? That's pretty dumb.

I want to be able to tell who wants to play a game at this particular instant. It's a bit of a stretch to assume anybody online wants to play right now.
Friends > View > Only show online users

I think it works the same for groups.

Also, Friends > View > Tick off Show Avatars.

It doesn't hurt to look for it in the first place though, these things are pretty easy to find.

usea

MNC said:
It doesn't hurt to look for it in the first place though, these things are pretty easy to find.
Do you think I would ask without looking? You don't have to be a dick about it.

Everdred

I really wish Steam would do a deal where if you buy Mass Effect 2 you get the first game for free. That's the only way I would buy it. :/

Blizzard

Banned
Everdred said:
I really wish Steam would do a deal where if you buy Mass Effect 2 you get the first game for free. That's the only way I would buy it. :/
I think that's more of a question for the publisher, but I could be wrong. The people who make Call of Juarez did exactly that, and I think I probably got my money's worth buying both, even though the original game has been pretty cheap. And as for the original Mass Effect, I finally got it for $5 over Christmas, so it didn't set me back much. :p

Volcynika

usea said:

Nice to see such thankful people :lol

I think that's more of a question for the publisher, but I could be wrong

Yes it is a publisher thing. "Hey we're gonna give away a game of your's for free if they buy the second one, you're fine with that, right?" They have to agree to a promotion like that, and due to the demand of ME during the holiday sale deal, it'll still sell.

usea

vocab said:
The Ati offer/Nvidia offer comes with this game so most people know about it, but it doesn't show you own it, and it doesn't show up in your game list. There's a bunch of stuff like that on steam. Codename Gordon for example.
How do you play it if it doesn't show up in your games list?

vocab

usea said:
How do you play it if it doesn't show up in your games list?

That's not what I mean. I mean it doesn't show up in your games list even though you technically own it through the offer. So people tend to forget they own it because it requires you to install it from the steam store, instead of the usual right click > install on the game list.

usea

vocab said:
That's not what I mean. I mean it doesn't show up in your games list even though you technically own it through the offer. So people tend to forget they own it because it requires you to install it from the steam store, instead of the usual right click > install on the game list.
Ah, gotcha.

MNC

usea said:
I didn't think I really said it in a dick way, but yeah, whatever.

So, whenever Fallout 3 GOTY gets a sale.... Imma need someone who has dollars to gift it to me so I can repay him through paypal :D I just noticed that at 50 dollars, I'd have to pay 30 euros.... While the steam store now has it for 50 euros. I know, I know, old, but it still baffles me when I calculate it.

TouchMyBox said:
I just thought I'd point out that the cat in your avatar shares an uncanny resemblance with my 3 month old kitten. It's almost creepy.

:lol

MNC said:
I didn't think I really said it in a dick way, but yeah, whatever.

So, whenever Fallout 3 GOTY gets a sale.... Imma need someone who has dollars to gift it to me so I can repay him through paypal :D I just noticed that at 50 dollars, I'd have to pay 30 euros.... While the steam store now has it for 50 euros. I know, I know, old, but it still baffles me when I calculate it.
Unless you really want it over the Steam servers you could try buying it from some websites, one atm has it for £15 on the pc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom