• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

n8

Unconfirmed Member
Is there still issues running Steam on XP Pro, or is that in the past? I've got a friend with Pro and was going to gift some stuff but don't want to bother if he can't run it.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
impulse aren't gonna carry supreme commander 2? crazy considering gas powered games' relationship with stardock.

maybe there's still some bad blood left over from the demigod debacle.

MNC

Diablohead said:

:lol

Unless you really want it over the Steam servers you could try buying it from some websites, one atm has it for £15 on the pc.
I'd prefer it to have it on Steam (Does it have DRM other than regular steam?) but what is this 15 bucks one? Is it a download service or disc?

MNC said:
I'd prefer it to have it on Steam (Does it have DRM other than regular steam?) but what is this 15 bucks one? Is it a download service or disc?
Zavvi.co.uk has it, and well shit it's out of stock now. Last night they were selling it no problem. They had it around this price for a while now so it's worth keeping an eye on it.

BTW it wasn't 15 bucks, it was 15 pounds, which is about 24.4 US dollars going by XE.com's converter.

epmode

n8BitMan said:
Is there still issues running Steam on XP Pro, or is that in the past? I've got a friend with Pro and was going to gift some stuff but don't want to bother if he can't run it.
I ran XP Pro for years without any serious Steam problems.

gregor7777 said:
That's basically just a demo for the Deluxe version though. I believe there are only 10 levels in that.
10 levels not available anywhere else. Can't complain about that. I have both Deluxe & Nights and I was still very happy to find this game with some new levels with funky Half-Life 2 artwork combined with Peggle. A video game mash-up.

I do not think this was posted yet.

A user (FISKER_Q) on the Steam forums reports that the original Bioshock will be included in the preorder for Bioshock 2. This is in addition to what LovingSteam has already revealed.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Fucking King's Bounty man. I wasn't getting into the game at first, because everything seemed to kill me...

But once I got going. Jesus. Five hours flew by. Felt like two. This isn't good.

Doytch

BobsRevenge said:
Fucking King's Bounty man. I wasn't getting into the game at first, because everything seemed to kill me...

But once I got going. Jesus. Five hours flew by. Felt like two. This isn't good.
Yeaaaaaah, it does that. Happened to me with TL when I played it, and it happened again on Sunday with AP. I kept getting annoyed when an album finished playing and I'd have to alt-tab out to pick another... :lol

Salaadin

Is there any good Oblivion-esque games on the horizon thatll most likely appear on Steam? I have a bit of a backlog right now but once Im through that, Id like to play something similar to Oblivion that I can just explore and level grind in. Divinity 2 or Risen are pretty close to what Im looking for. Any other suggestions or ideas of whats coming up that may interest me?

On another note, Im finally getting around to putting a lot of time into Torchlight. What a great game. I got it for such a small amount of money during the Steam sale...it almost feels like stealing.

Doytch

^^ There's Two Worlds Two that's coming out in a few months....but I'd really recommend staying away from it. Your best shot for open-world stuff is pretty much all non-fantasy: Stalker:COP, Mafia II, Just Cause 2 (maybe).

Salaadin said:
Is there any good Oblivion-esque games on the horizon thatll most likely appear on Steam? I have a bit of a backlog right now but once Im through that, Id like to play something similar to Oblivion that I can just explore and level grind in. Divinity 2 or Risen are pretty close to what Im looking for. Any other suggestions or ideas of whats coming up that may interest me?

Did you play Sacred 2? It's big and huge, and there's an expansion that should be on steam at some point in the near future (just needs to get released to the US market, it's translated and out in the UK already).

Salaadin

Doytch said:
^^ There's Two Worlds Two that's coming out in a few months....but I'd really recommend staying away from it. Your best shot for open-world stuff is pretty much all non-fantasy: Stalker:COP, Mafia II, Just Cause 2 (maybe).

Thanks for the suggestions. I actually have the original Stalker in my backlog so perhaps if I enjoy that, COP will be something worth it. Ive also been watching Just Cause 2. I remember playing the demo for the original constantly just to skydive. The sequel looks great.

Fragamemnon said:
Did you play Sacred 2? It's big and huge, and there's an expansion that should be on steam at some point in the near future (just needs to get released to the US market, it's translated and out in the UK already).

PS3 version. Screen tearing galore!
I assume the PC version wont have these problems. Maybe itll be worth selling the PS3 version and re-buying on Steam. I can still get 25 bucks for it.

Theres an expansion coming out too? New areas? I remember the world being large as hell. How can they make that bigger? :lol

At some point the Sacred 2 xpack should see release on the PC. It's not confirmed yet but all the work is done as you can get English copies of it in the UK.

Drakensang 2 should be winding its way to a US release sometime this year. Two Words 2 was mentioned (and the original was not a bad game after patches on the PC). I'm pretty sure that the new "Gothic" game is going to be an abomination, though. Venetica will get translated at some point this year but that's a different sort of game than the usual Euro-RPG release.

crimsonheadGCN said:
Anyone tried the beta for Global Agenda yet? It looks very interesting and people are saying it's like Team Fortress 2, but with Jet Packs and MMO aspects and in a persistent world.

No Elves Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxFKDzW0qdg&feature=player_embedded

Gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFgUkIU_QzU&feature=related
The game reminds me of a trendy planetside using matchmaking lobbies instead of a giant global world/map like an mmo. First time I seen gameplay now though.

It's a game where I would prefer to wait and hear from other players.

I'm playing a wait and see on that game. Everything about it will hinge on how the community develops for that sort of game-most of the "content" is player politics driven as I understand it, which can either turn out awesome (see Dark Age of Camelot) or terribad (Shadowbane) depending on the community and support of the development team.

webrunner

Doytch said:

They should call it "Two Worlds Two: Worlds of Two Worlds"

1-D_FTW

crimsonheadGCN said:
Anyone tried the beta for Global Agenda yet? It looks very interesting and people are saying it's like Team Fortress 2, but with Jet Packs and MMO aspects and in a persistent world.

No Elves Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxFKDzW0qdg&feature=player_embedded

Gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFgUkIU_QzU&feature=related

I've got a couple people on my friend's list that have been playing quit a bit. Really wish they'd had an open beta though. Can't see myself buying something like that without first hand experience. Especially since it seems the persistent world stuff is only available if you pay a monthly fee (that the website does a good job of hiding how much. I'm not sure it's even listed anywhere.)

Aliens vs. Predator Pre-Purchase Now
January 19, 2010, 11:56 am - Valve - General Announcement

Pre-purchase Aliens vs. Predator and receive Universe at War: Earth Assault free as well as three unique skins for each class in the game. Bringing the legendary war between two of science-fiction's most popular characters to FPS fans, Aliens vs. Predator delivers three outstanding single player campaigns and provides untold hours of unique 3-way multiplayer gaming.

Dark Void Now Available
January 19, 2010, 12:27 pm - Valve - Product Release

Dark Void™ is now available on Steam. This game is a sci-fi action-adventure game that combines an adrenaline-fueled blend of aerial and ground-pounding combat. Set in a parallel universe called "The Void", players take on the role of Will, a pilot dropped into incredible circumstances within the mysterious Void.

Rufus

Men of War worth it for someone who eventually gave up on Company of Heroes due to it still being too much of an RTS?

Rufus said:
Men of War worth it for someone who eventually gave up on Company of Heroes due to it still being too much of an RTS?

There is a demo you can try. Though if you don't like RTS then you should probably not buy a RTS. But thats just me. Crazy crazy crazy.

So does anybody have any information as to how safe of a purchase AvP is? Sure the old AvP is great, but it's also the last playable game Rebellion has put out.

Two consecutive midweek madness sales see my most disapointing game of last year (King's Bounty) and my most suprisingly good game of last year (Men of War). My real enjoyment with Men of War was how it took lots of serious sim elements and mixed them up in a goofy sandbox that pretty much always valued "fun" over "realism." Nice and challenging as well.

Rufus

PuppetSlave said:
There is a demo you can try. Though if you don't like RTS then you should probably not buy a RTS. But thats just me. Crazy crazy crazy.
It's not that I don't like them, I just find it hard to keep up with them after a certain point. Especially when you have to manage more than one battle plus base building/expansion. And since Men of War doesn't have base building that cuts out one of the things that gets me in over my head in those games.
I'll try the demo then, though I still won't know how representative of the whole game it is. (Mission types, etc.)

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Doytch said:
Is DoW2's campaign playable without sound? Been meaning to pick it up for a while as a game to play under music. Also have zero interest in the MP since I get decimated normally, and would be destroyed jumping in late.
A bit late but I played the majority of the campaign without any sound and it is not 'needed' to progress in the game - all information you need is reproduced in text as far as I can remember. I mainly only played the campaign as well and the game is well worth it for just the campaign. Last stand allows you to play multiplayer co-operatively and without any complexity (of commands at least) - you just control one character with a few abilities against ever increasing hordes of enemies.

MNC

Diablohead said:
Zavvi.co.uk has it, and well shit it's out of stock now. Last night they were selling it no problem. They had it around this price for a while now so it's worth keeping an eye on it.

BTW it wasn't 15 bucks, it was 15 pounds, which is about 24.4 US dollars going by XE.com's converter.
I consider bucks as money, but yes I was aware it was pounds :p Thanks for the site! Appreciated!

Macmanus

Salaadin said:

Honestly, Risen is your best bet. 3/4ths of that game is absolutely amazing. Easily my biggest sleeper surprise from 2009. The graphics, character modeling, characters in general, and combat blow Oblivion out of the water. The exploration factor, while being confined to a smaller world, was really wonderful. It's a very seamless experience while exploring, and the glorious graphics really make it a treat.

The fact that you start out as a washed up piece of shit barely able to kill a stork or porcupine, but by the end are fighting giant hordes of vicious lizard men also fleshes out the RPG experience where Oblivion fell short.

However I would wait until it drops from $50. Honestly $30 or under at best. The game really loses steam on the fourth chapter (the final one.) Also the plot is pretty much hot garbage and you'll spend barely half the time in this game than you did in Oblivion.

The AVP preorder is only £25 and comes with a free game? That's some good work there SEGA.

Edit: They even let you gift away UAW if you already own it. Top marks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom