• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smash88

Banned
Just so some people know. I got a message from FreeSteamGames or whatever. I got it through the Borderlands GAF group.

Do not click on that link. Ignore it!

I just got it a view minutes ago, confused, I clicked accept and got into a chat room with a link. Quickly closed that.

Just a heads up. If you guys see him, kick him from the group.

Smash88 said:
Just so some people know. I got a message from FreeSteamGames or whatever. I got it through the Borderlands GAF group.

Do not click on that link. Ignore it!

I just got it a view minutes ago, confused, I clicked accept and got into a chat room with a link. Quickly closed that.

Just a heads up. If you guys see him, kick him from the group.

You should go to that person's community page and use the report tool on the upper right corner to report that person. Valve should take care of that person.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Bought Psychonauts yesterday. From what i heard of it and at that price, couldn't hold back.
Great so far, only WHAT THE FUCK is with the mouse controls? It's like Dead Space, I turned of VSync and it helped a bit but not enough.

Zzoram

John said:
To use a 360 gamepad on PC games, do you need one specially marked "for Windows," or does any controller do?

Any wired controller should work I believe. You just need to download drivers. Note, you can't use a wireless one with a USB charging cable because that cable doesn't send data.

panda21

perhaps this is a bit of a weird thing to want but I just started using steam and it kind of bothers me that theres no way to put games in a list to buy later (short of bookmarking the URL).

also the browsing games could be better, like i found space giraffe completely by accident, and i'd like to see if there are other shooters (i know geometry wars is on there), but theres no easy way to do that. you just have to use the search to check if games are there? seems very clunky

they should make some kind of meta steam thing with similar games and people who bought this also bought this suggestions etc.

panda21 said:
also the browsing games could be better, like i found space giraffe completely by accident, and i'd like to see if there are other shooters (i know geometry wars is on there), but theres no easy way to do that. you just have to use the search to check if games are there? seems very clunky

You can browse categories, but short of typing in a game's name I'm not entirely sure what you have in mind to see if the game is available.

Sloegr

Peronthious said:
You can browse categories, but short of typing in a game's name I'm not entirely sure what you have in mind to see if the game is available.

Offering more categories and subcategories would be nice. His suggestion of a 'meta steam thing' sounds like Amazon's system for recommending games based on what other people have purchased.

A wishlist would be welcome for sure, though. I'd especially like it if Steam notified you by email when any game on your wishlist went on sale.

Gexecuter said:
This trailer makes it look pretty good but i dunno, what does gaf think? worth it?

The Wii version is always trotted out in "best of Wiiware" lists, and this is less than half price and in HD,c an't see how you can go wrong.

Only £2.65 in the UK, I'm picking it up.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
brain_stew said:
The Wii version is always trotted out in "best of Wiiware" lists, and this is less than half price and in HD,c an't see how you can go wrong.

Only £2.65 in the UK, I'm picking it up.

I see i might pick Toki Tori up sometim....wait one of the achievements is called "Never gonna give you up!" ?! fucking sold

panda21 said:
perhaps this is a bit of a weird thing to want but I just started using steam and it kind of bothers me that theres no way to put games in a list to buy later (short of bookmarking the URL).

i actually created my own wishlist (php/mysql setup) but i'm a huge nerd like that! Currently it doesn't do much more than store the url and some other basic info, but it does pull pricing information so it's easy to see if anything I have on the wishlist goes on sale.

Picked up Toki Tori -- the WiiWare and GameBoy (I think?) versions always looked pretty fun.

Seems like a really nice port so far. Native mouse, keyboard, and gamepad support (looks like it was specifically designed around the 360 pad, even), and it looks great in 1080p. I dunno if it's the same set of levels as the other versions, but it looks like a good amount of content. It even popped up a message at one point saying that they're planning to add free bonus levels sometime in the future, which is pretty awesome for a <$5 game.

Volcynika

graywolf323 said:
guess they switched back to putting weekend deals up on Friday

Well, considering they seem to pick Thursday OR Friday, we just don't know when they'll do it! (Of course this time it's Friday)

biocat

I find it funny that Steam News claims that Mass Effect 2 is now available for sale worldwide, yet it's not available for me in Japan.

Japan not part of the world? :lol

epmode

biocat said:
I find it funny that Steam News claims that Mass Effect 2 is now available for sale worldwide, yet it's not available for me in Japan.

That sucks. Bioware could really use the two dozen sales they'd get from releasing in that territory.

biocat said:

Its not phrased well. What Valve means is that those who can buy it now have access to it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
biocat said:

The exact same thing happened to me with Dragon Age. I'm not even sure if it was even made available to people in Japan at any point. I purchased the game on the US store with my US debit card and was able to pre-load with everyone else, but the game would simply never unlock even after its Euro release. I ended up having to use a US proxy and a tunneling program to make Steam think I was in the United States and spend an hour decrypting the files because I was getting a terrible connection from the free proxy. Once it was fully decrypted the game showed up in my games list just fine and I could access it normally.

Is Electronic Arts the only publisher that hard locks people out of accessing games they purchased if their IP is from a region that the game hasn't been officially released in?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
speculawyer said:
Well, I think we now know why Rockstar put GTA IV on sale twice during the Steam Holiday sale. :D

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=386121

Awesome!

I bought both of them on the Xbox 360 and even though I played through GTAIV at release I really cannot handle the extremely low framerate so I pretty much left them unplayed. I will definitely be repurchasing them on GFWL (or maybe even Steam?) since my PC gets 30 - 60fps on GTAIV at 1920x1200 and very high settings.

Narag

I'm so glad Company of Heroes was on sale last weekend and I regret not buying it sooner. Skirmish vs the CPU scratches the RTS itch I've had for a long time now.

Javaman

I bought Just Cause during the steam deal as part of a publisher's package. What a turd. Between the random pauses and bugs (like getting stuck under a truck while still on a motorcycle and being unable to die causing me to lose 2 hrs worth of work) and repetative game play there's actually some fun to be had. /livejournal

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Javaman said:
I bought Just Cause during the steam deal as part of a publisher's package. What a turd. Between the random pauses and bugs (like getting stuck under a truck while still on a motorcycle and being unable to die causing me to lose 2 hrs worth of work) and repetative game play there's actually some fun to be had. /livejournal

I played it recently and didn't run into a single bug. What OS/specs are you on? I played exclusively the story missions and they rarely took more than a half hour and I think give you the option to save immediately after. I had a blast doing just that, maybe 2 missions a play session and it never got repetitive. However, I can certainly see it getting tiring doing longer sessions and side missions.

Btw anyone trying this game out should go to http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6725 and download the widescreen hack for the game. Otherwise you are limited to 4:3 :(

Volcynika

This weekend we aren't featuring one, not two, but THREE deals!

The Freedom Force pack and X-COM Complete Pack from 2K Games are available for $2/€2/£2 until Monday!

Tropico 3 from Kalypso Media Digital is available for 66% off until Monday!

graywolf323

Tropico 3 is 66% off

so in the past month and a half Tropico 3 has seen 3 sales

33% off the week before the Holiday sale
50% off during the Holiday sale
and now 66% off

edit: FYI it's been long enough since the holiday sale I'm not gonna be complaining about price drops anymore :p

oh well nothing for me this weekend Steam which makes my wallet happy (only because I already own all the games on sale this weekend >_<)

Tenks

Got all three. Decided for $4 trying Freedom Force and having never played an X-Com I can't go wrong.

I've also wanted Tropico for a bit now.

Javaman

Stallion Free said:
I played it recently and didn't run into a single bug. What OS/specs are you on? I played exclusively the story missions and they rarely took more than a half hour and I think give you the option to save immediately after. I had a blast doing just that, maybe 2 missions a play session and it never got repetitive. However, I can certainly see it getting tiring doing longer sessions and side missions.

Btw anyone trying this game out should go to http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6725 and download the widescreen hack for the game. Otherwise you are limited to 4:3 :(

I've been going through the side areas to free settlements. Usually I'll do a bunch before saving since it's a pain going back to a save place to save. The save prompt doesn't come up during these missions. I don't sweat dying since I can continue, but the stupid bug above messed me up big time. Most of the glitches were with hit detection.

Owzers

MoFuzz said:
Because you're a sillymonkey.

Also, Freedom Force pack is so very bought when I get home. Go Irrational go!

very true, but after reading about it, i bought the Freedom Force pack to hide away in my steam backlog. So far i loved Plants vs Zombies, gave up on Lucidity and Secret of Monkey Island, and am enjoying World of Goo currently.

Is it easy to play Freedom Force online with a friend or do you just get sent into random games with random people?

Valve has just released a new Press Release, which includes a bit of information about Steam's growth in 2009:

Valve said:
January 29, 2010 — Valve® today announced extraordinary 2009 growth data for Steam, a leading platform for PC games and digital entertainment, with major increases in accounts, concurrent players, unit sales and more. The year also marked tremendous adoption of the Steamworks suite of publishing services in the tangible and electronic versions of many of the year's biggest releases.

During the last calendar year the platform surpassed 25 million active accounts, up 25% from the prior year. Of the 25 million accounts, over 10 million of those have profiles in the Steam Community.

In addition to the millions of new accounts created during the year, the peak number of concurrent users eclipsed the 2.5 million mark during the month of December, pushing Steam's average monthly player minutes to more than 13 billion.

Meanwhile, Steam now offers over 1,000 games from over 100 developers and publishers around the world. Unit sales for 2009 increased by more than 205%, marking the fifth straight year the platform has realized over 100% year-over-year growth in unit sales.

2009 also delivered a wave of titles supported by Steamworks, in tangible and electronic versions, including Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, Dawn of War II, and Empire: Total War. Empire also used Steamworks for the delivery and management of its paid downloadable content releases.

“Steam turned five years old in March 2009,” said Gabe Newell, president of Valve. “With the introduction of each new platform feature released over the years — such as the Steam Community, Steam Cloud, and Steamworks — we've seen corresponding growth in account numbers, concurrent player numbers and developer support for the platform. As such, we plan to continue to expand and grow the platform to better serve the developers supporting the open platform and millions of gamers logging in each day.”

For more information, please visit www.steampowered.com

http://store.steampowered.com/news/3390/

MoFuzz

sillymonkey321 said:
very true, but after reading about it, i bought the Freedom Force pack to hide away in my steam backlog. So far i loved Plants vs Zombies, gave up on Lucidity and Secret of Monkey Island, and am enjoying World of Goo currently.

Is it easy to play Freedom Force online with a friend or do you just get sent into random games with random people?
It's a great game. Basically an action RPG with a team of super heroes. It's somewhat akin to X-men Legends or the Marvel Alliance series if you've ever played those.

I don't have any experience with multi though.

crimsonheadGCN said:
Valve has just released a new Press Release, which includes a bit of information about Steam's growth in 2009
That's well and fine. Now fix the damn UI Valve. I love my Steam and all, but let's be honest. The app runs like a turd.

Yes, I know they mentioned an impending update.

mclem

graywolf323 said:
Tropico 3 is 66% off

so in the past month and a half Tropico 3 has seen 3 sales

33% off the week before the Holiday sale
50% off during the Holiday sale
and now 66% off

So it'll be completely free on Feb 29th? Awesome!

epmode

Tenks said:
Decided for $4 trying Freedom Force and having never played an X-Com I can't go wrong.
Not to hype it up or anything but X-COM 1 might just be the best videogame in the history of human civilization. It's very much worth getting over the low-res clunky interface.

TURN-BASED sequel pls. With terrain/building destruction. Now, pls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom