• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

panda21

is the steam icon in your windows task bar thing at the bottom left supposed to randomly change to a game you launched recently? so far mine has taken on the operation flashpoint and star trek online icons at random, even though those arent the last games i played.

also can you launch steam games in windows 7 in compatibility mode? geometry wars runs really badly with random slowdown all the time even when fuck all is happening (i can run crysis wathead on gamer..) and i was hoping xp mode might help.

oh and my star trek online is called star trek online - beta even though i was never in the beta. it works fine but its kind of ugly :( why does it do this?

is the steam icon in your windows task bar thing at the bottom left supposed to randomly change to a game you launched recently? so far mine has taken on the operation flashpoint and star trek online icons at random, even though those arent the last games i played.

Mine did that in Windows 7 for about the first month. I have no idea why.

graywolf323

I've found it depends if you already had Steam running or not

if you didn't and just launched a game you own in Steam it would show that games icon in the Windows 7 taskbar instead of Steam's

nny

"You now own Freedom Force, Freedom Force vs. the 3rd Reich, X-COM: Terror from the Deep, X-COM: Apocalypse, X-COM: Interceptor, X-COM: UFO Defense, X-COM: Enforcer."

4€...heh. )

Variable

Anyone know why we have not seen Baldur's Gate, Planescape Torment or the Ice Wind dale games on any service like Steam or GOG yet?

Polk

Variable said:
Anyone know why we have not seen Baldur's Gate, Planescape Torment or the Ice Wind dale games on any service like Steam or GOG yet?
Atari, Interplay, WoTC. You can pick only two of them.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Variable said:

licensing issues, gog is still trying to make deals with the people who owns all of the rights to the games but it's hard.

Blizzard

Banned
Just to make sure...I have Windows 7 64-bit RC, ATI 4850 512MB, 4GB memory, and a e8400 3.0GHz processor. The Freedom Force (3rd reich?) demo crashes on startup and says that it's known to be incompatible. Running as admin or with compatibility settings doesn't work. From a post on the Steam forums it seems like people say the full games actually DO run on 64-bit Windows 7?

*edit* The Freedom Force videos just don't look that interesting to me, just like Psychonauts looks ugly and not very fun to me. I know lots of people disagree, but oh well! No $2 games for me now.

But MAN, I can't resist after watching the Tropico 3 trailer and looking at the screenshots. Some Steam screenshots that don't actually look ugly, combined with that engine in the videos. I hope the game actually holds up. :)

Blizzard said:
Just to make sure...I have Windows 7 64-bit RC, ATI 4850 512MB, 4GB memory, and a e8400 3.0GHz processor. The Freedom Force (3rd reich?) demo crashes on startup and says that it's known to be incompatible. Running as admin or with compatibility settings doesn't work. From a post on the Steam forums it seems like people say the full games actually DO run on 64-bit Windows 7?

*edit* The Freedom Force videos just don't look that interesting to me, just like Psychonauts looks ugly and not very fun to me. I know lots of people disagree, but oh well! No $2 games for me now.

But MAN, I can't resist after watching the Tropico 3 trailer and looking at the screenshots. Some Steam screenshots that don't actually look ugly, combined with that engine in the videos. I hope the game actually holds up. :)
Full game (first one that is) ran without a problem for me under Win 7 64-bit.

Rufus

I think there were compatibility issues that were fixed for the full game but not for the demo. (I'm playing Third Reich right now and don't have any issues. Win7 64bit.)

Tomasooie

MNC said:
Are these games recommendable? I have never played or even seen them in action.
25sswtg.png

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
MNC said:
Are these games recommendable? I have never played or even seen them in action.

There is a demo available here, give it a try. Personally after trying the demo i couldn't find the appeal, i just didn't liked it, maybe it's just me.

Blizzard

Banned
tjohn86 said:
The original freedom force runs fine for me... until I try to quit or load... then it crashes

Lame
Ick, what OS? I think I decided against getting them anyway, but it's good to get the word out.

John

24315rt.jpg

pleasedealonstalker3thisweek

naib

Rationalizing my headphone purchase knowing I haven't bought any videogames this week...

Steam flashing in my taskbar. I know better..
Tropico 3: Steam Special Edition = $13.60.

Click -> Click.

Damn you Steam.
I love you.

Freedom Force is sooooooooooooo good.

It's it's an RTS that you can switch to turn-based just by pausing and issuing commands. What really makes it unique is that it's really difficult to just mash your way through, as health is extremely limited. It also encourages creative use of the environment.

A typical battle might be this- Hero A mind controls a enemy, making him attack enemies around him. Hero B runs in behind them with a lightpost he ripped out of the ground while Hero C flies above and throws fireballs.

It's like Warcraft III and Spiderman had a baby!

Did I mention it's $2?!

Danneee

MNC said:
IRRATIONAL!!?!??!

*zoof*

And X-Com? I hear that's basically the number 1 starfighter game or sumthan?

You are thinking about the X series, it's not the samt :)

And Tropico 3 is soo worth €13!

Global Agenda pricing from the sign up process.

$12.99 USD Global Agenda Conquest 1-Month Subscription
$34.47 USD Global Agenda Conquest 3-Month Subscription ($11.49 per month)
$59.94 USD Global Agenda Conquest 6-Month Subscription ($9.99 per month)

I'll stick with offline for the time being...

naib said:
Rationalizing my headphone purchase knowing I haven't bought any videogames this week...

Steam flashing in my taskbar. I know better..
Tropico 3: Steam Special Edition = $13.60.

Click -> Click.

Damn you Steam.
I love you.

I bought it too and it went straight to the backlog without me even playing it.....(although in my defense, I loved the first tropico and played through a bit of the second one).

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Lyphen said:
Toki Tori is a damn fun little puzzler. Glad it works perfectly with my 360 controller too!

If you haven't already done so join the official Toki Tori group over at Steam. The devs said that once the group reaches 250 members they will release a brand new bonus level and randomly pick one member and use his/her SteamID or avatar and incorporate it into that level, pretty cool.

Salaadin

Ok Im torn. Up until now, I was kinda leaning towards Sacred 2 as my choice for a dungeon crawler, loot whoring type of game. 5 bucks for Titan Quest is hard to pass up, though.

For those who played both, which would you recommend as the better overall game? Titan Quest or Sacred 2? I played demos of both and enjoyed both.

Are there any drawbacks to buying Titan Quest Gold as opposed to regular Titan Quest or is "Gold" just a fancy name for "bundle"

EDIT: Ahh what the hell. Its 5 bucks. Bought :D

hylian_pirate said:

Hmm. I have the original game and immortal throne on DVD. But for only $5 I could have it on Steam with no disc installation, auto-patching, and no disc required for play.

Yes, I think I will be double-dipping. Now to decide which friend to give my disc copies to.

Minsc

Gold Member
Salaadin said:
Are there any drawbacks to buying Titan Quest Gold as opposed to regular Titan Quest or is "Gold" just a fancy name for "bundle"

Titan Quest Gold gives you the Titan Quest Immortal Throne expansion, which you absolutely need to install and use to play the game, start your new character from the shortcut to the expansion, and you run through the original game first, just the same, only with all the added items and optimization from the expansion.

If you can use the unofficial patch w/ the Steam version, look in to that as well, it balances the skills much better and does fix quite a few bugs.

MoFuzz

Salaadin said:
Ok Im torn. Up until now, I was kinda leaning towards Sacred 2 as my choice for a dungeon crawler, loot whoring type of game.
I haven't played either unfortunately, but I'm assuming you've tried Torchlight?

Salaadin

Minsc said:
Titan Quest Gold gives you the Titan Quest Immortal Throne expansion, which you absolutely need to install and use to play the game, start your new character from the shortcut to the expansion, and you run through the original game first, just the same, only with all the added items and optimization from the expansion.

If you can use the unofficial patch w/ the Steam version, look in to that as well, it balances the skills much better and does fix quite a few bugs.

Thanks a lot. I just looked into it and theres two versions of the latest unofficial patch out. 1.17 is for the disc version. 1.17a is for the DD version on Steam, D2D, etc. So it does work, just make sure its 1.17a. Ill download that when I get home.

MoFuzz said:
I haven't played either unfortunately, but I'm assuming you've tried Torchlight?

Played and loved it. I beat that one quickly so I could get into Mass Effect right away (which Im also loving) but I intend on going back and playing the hell out of Torchlight some more.

ArjanN

Gexecuter said:
If you haven't already done so join the official Toki Tori group over at Steam. The devs said that once the group reaches 250 members they will release a brand new bonus level and randomly pick one member and use his/her SteamID or avatar and incorporate it into that level, pretty cool.

Thanks for the heads up. Just joined. :)

TheExodu5

Banned
Salaadin said:
Ok Im torn. Up until now, I was kinda leaning towards Sacred 2 as my choice for a dungeon crawler, loot whoring type of game. 5 bucks for Titan Quest is hard to pass up, though.

For those who played both, which would you recommend as the better overall game? Titan Quest or Sacred 2? I played demos of both and enjoyed both.

TQ is better.

garath

Gexecuter said:
I want to know that too because i already have Torchlight and i am not sure if i want another game in the same genre.

IMO, Titan Quest kills Torchlight. It's long, has a deep character customization, great multiplayer, and lots of replayability.

I already own it on disc but I'm sorely tempted to double dip for the no CD aspect.

Lothars

Gexecuter said:
I want to know that too because i already have Torchlight and i am not sure if i want another game in the same genre.

Well you should go for Titan's Quest for 5 bucks, it's worth it but Torchlight is a superior game to me.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Hmm, I've had Titan Quest Gold sitting in backlog since the D2D sale. Maybe I should install it. Or maybe I should finish Torchlight first!

Doytch

TQ is easily worth $5. I picked it up in the sales rush following the D3 announcement for $20 and I had a great time with it. Didn't even play the MP.

ShinNL

hylian_pirate said:
I've been waiting for this :lol

Edit: Okay, I got it now, thanks for the heads up hylian.

Just a question though, am I supposed to install both games in Steam or does Immortal Throne have the full game + expansion? Normal one is 2ish GB and IT is 4ish GB.

Edit 2: Never mind, I chose to install IT and it automatically adds both games for installation on my list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom