• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

IMACOMPUTA

brain_stew said:
Game in the UK were selling retail copies super cheap over the weekend so I bought a bunch of copies and I've passed them onto fellow GAFers without hiking the price way up. Since a retail copy can be registered on Steam just fine, I felt there was no reason GAFers outside of the UK should miss out. :D

The last one is yours, all gone now.

Wow, so what are you doing with all those l4d2 cases/discs? lol.

Doomslayer said:
I'm pretty sure it requires an active net connection, like Ubis recent games.

Ugh. Refuse to partake in that travesty. Even if I ignore the principle of the thing, I can't even get a VPN tunnel to my workplace work for more then maybe 10 minutes before breaking down. My ISP is a joke.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
PuppetSlave said:
Ugh. Refuse to partake in that travesty. Even if I ignore the principle of the thing, I can't even get a VPN tunnel to my workplace work for more then maybe 10 minutes before breaking down. My ISP is a joke.

Well, their reasoning is that single player rank and multiplayer rank are the same thing, so they don't want people to hack their saves or whatever.

It's too bad you can't opt out of that though. If I ever play C&C4, I probably won't be doing it online.

vazel

Banned
Oh wow Everquest for $2.50. It'll be nice to try out the game that launched MMOs into mainstream popularity if only for the free month.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Wellscha said:
Thats strange. I don't remember reading any DRM description on BC2 steam page.
It's right there on the store page.

INTERNET CONNECTION, ONLINE AUTHENTICATION AND ACCEPTANCE OF END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT REQUIRED TO PLAY. ACCESS TO ONLINE FEATURES AND/OR SERVICES REQUIRES AN EA ONLINE ACCOUNT AND REGISTRATION WITH THE ENCLOSED SINGLE-USE SERIAL CODE. REGISTRATION FOR ONLINE FEATURES IS LIMITED TO ONE EA ACCOUNT PER SERIAL CODE AND IS NON-TRANSFERABLE ONCE USED. EA ONLINE TERMS & CONDITIONS AND FEATURE UPDATES CAN BE FOUND AT www.ea.com. YOU MUST BE 13+ TO REGISTER FOR AN EA ACCOUNT. EA MAY PROVIDE CERTAIN INCREMENTAL CONTENT AND/OR UPDATES FOR NO ADDITIONALCHARGE, IF AND WHEN AVAILABLE. EA MAY RETIRE ONLINE FEATURES AFTER 30 DAYS NOTICE POSTED ON www.ea.com. GAME USES SONY SECUROM CONTENT PROTECTION TECHNOLOGY. (MORE INFO, INCLUDING HOW TO UNINSTALL SECUROM, AT WWW.SECUROM.COM). GAME CAN BE PLAYED ON UP TO FIVE COMPUTERS; USERS CAN MANAGE WHICH COMPUTERS ARE AUTHORIZED OR DE-AUTHORIZED TO PLAY GAME. VISIT http://activate.ea.com/deauthorize/ FOR MORE INFORMATION ON DE-AUTHORIZATION.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Desaparecido said:
I played the beta for a while. It's no C&C, but I didn't think it was bad.

That said, because of the DRM, I probably won't get it until it's a bargain price on Steam.
If you liked what you saw in C&C4 pick up World in Conflict instead. That's the last thing I'm going to say about the game.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
LovingSteam said:
Did prepurchasing Metro 2033 offer an extra copy of Red Faction to trade if you already had it? I am positive it did bit am being told it didn't.
no. last game was Saint's Row 2 with Chaos Rising. RF:G was not giftable.

How do you delete a category once you create one? Like for example if you happened to misspell one or decided to simplify your category system and want to delete one, is that possible or is your list of categories forever unchangeable?

Edit: Nvm...deleted itself after I untagged all games from it.

Edit2: Just a quick curious question...do you guys consider FPS a true genre? Steam games never use FPS to describe a game under it's genre description, just "Action".

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
MisterAnderson said:
How do you delete a category once you create one? Like for example if you happened to misspell one or decided to simplify your category system and want to delete one, is that possible or is your list of categories forever unchangeable?

Edit: Nvm...deleted itself after I untagged all games from it.

Edit2: Just a quick curious question...do you guys consider FPS a true genre? Steam games never use FPS to describe a game under it's genre description, just "Action".

I tend to use it in everyday language as its own genre (simply for ease of communication), but realistically, no. I think of them more as the "action" or "shooter" genre, placed in a first person view. In a game description I would have "first person" and "shooter," "RPG," or "action" separated by commas.

Double D

Hey guys, I got a L4D2 code from brain_stew. It's my understanding that if I activate it on my PC, I will be able to play it on my mac (once it's available) as well, right?

Zachack

MisterAnderson said:
No, it's a camera angle, although just saying "FPS" (without any modifiers) typically implies that it's a certain type of game (FPS shooter, not RPG). Dragon Age PC is a good example of why, since you can legitimately play from either a 3rd-person shoulder view or completely overhead.

That said, I'm sure you could get reductive on any genre label and bring the whole structure down to "mineral, animal, vegetable" like on that episode of Dinosaurs. IIRC air was a mineral and fire was a vegetable.

iam220

Zachack said:
No, it's a camera angle, although just saying "FPS" (without any modifiers) typically implies that it's a certain type of game (FPS shooter, not RPG).

Uh, the "S" in FPS stands for shooter. So its more then just a camera angle.

Its a sub-genre of action.

Zachack

iam220 said:
Uh, the "S" in FPS stands for shooter. So its more then just a camera angle.

Its a sub-genre of action.
In the context I was using the S stood for Surrogate. First Person Surrogate shooter.

Yes I think that will do nicely.

Volcynika

Avencast: Rise of the Mage Now Available
MARCH 17, 2010, 10:55 AM - VALVE - PRODUCT RELEASE

Armed with countless combat moves and spells, and a vast arsenal of equipment you must uncover the source of this evil by vanquishing an onslaught of enemies. Treachery and deceit reveal themselves as the vicious army threatens Avencast's very existence. Click here for more information.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/46410/

The Aliens vs. Predator Swarm Map Pack will be available tomorrow at 9AM PST:

Valve said:
Aliens vs. Predator Swarm Map Pack Now Available
Product Release - Valve

Aliens vs. Predator Swarm Map Pack is now available on Steam.

The Swarm Map Pack includes four new maps: Two new Survivor maps and two multiplayer maps for six different online modes.

The Swarm Map Pack will be available in North America tomorrow at 9 AM PST.

http://store.steampowered.com/news/3613/

For those who live in Australia, the prices for Metro 2033 and Battlefield: Bad Company 2 was dropped back down to $49.99. (I heard they were both previously $69.99 or around that price.)

WARNING

I've received several messages over Steam from people in various groups that have had their accounts hijacked.

They will send you a message about joining a group, and have a link with a URL like steamcommunity.t35.com (DO NOT GO THERE).

Something about having only 5 members, please join, etc.

It's a phishing site. You enter your username and password, as if you were signing in to Steam Community. They keep your credentials and log in to your real steam account.

gregor7777 said:
WARNING

I've received several messages over Steam from people in various groups that have had their accounts hijacked.

They will send you a message about joining a group, and have a link with a URL like steamcommunity.t35.com (DO NOT GO THERE).

It's a phishing site. You enter your username and password, as if you were signing in to Steam Community. They keep your credentials and log in to your real steam account.
I just had one of those messages, first time ever, too.

It got me rather paranoid so I started a virus sweep on my hdd :lol

Never a bad idea to do a virus sweep. This particular one is fairly tame as long as you don't try and log in.

Seems like they targeted our Killing Floor GAF group. One of the messages I got was from a member of the group who isn't on my friends list.

pix

Diablohead said:
I just had one of those messages, first time ever, too.

It got me rather paranoid so I started a virus sweep on my hdd :lol

I got one as well.

*lilgirl29 would like to chat with you* (Not sure of the real name)
Accept. (No im not a pedo) =p
lilgirl29: omg is thatreally you? *insert steamcommunity link here*
I closed the window.

pix said:
I got one as well.

*lilgirl29 would like to chat with you* (Not sure of the real name)
Accept. (No im not a pedo) =p
lilgirl29: omg is thatreally you? *insert steamcommunity link here*
I closed the window.

Know how to get around that? Allow your profile to only be seen by friends.

Macmanus

LovingSteam said:
Know how to get around that? Allow your profile to only be seen by friends.

Is that a default setting? I've heard a lot of people getting Steam spam lately, but have yet to experience it myself.

Makes me feel kinda lonely :(

shintoki said:
How do I set to friends only?

Community > Edit my profile (text link on the right) > Settings

Just done it myself as well as changing my community name to something that's different from my username. I'm all secured up.

IMACOMPUTA said:
Wow, so what are you doing with all those l4d2 cases/discs? lol.

Stacking them next to my half a dozen AVP cases! :lol

If anyone is interested, the game is still available relatively cheaply in the UK, just not stupidly cheap. $30US should cover it, if anyone missed out on the last deal, I'd be happy to order some more copies as that's still much cheaper than it is on Steam in the US.

gregor7777 said:
WARNING

So I just ignore it?

Twig

Banned
ChoklitReign said:
So I just ignore it?
Yeah. If you don't click the link they can do literally nothing. Even if you do, it sounds like you're still safe as long as you don't log in on the phishing site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom