• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Won

gregor7777 said:
WARNING

I've received several messages over Steam from people in various groups that have had their accounts hijacked.

They will send you a message about joining a group, and have a link with a URL like steamcommunity.t35.com (DO NOT GO THERE).

Something about having only 5 members, please join, etc.

It's a phishing site. You enter your username and password, as if you were signing in to Steam Community. They keep your credentials and log in to your real steam account.

I was already wondering why someone would want to talk with me.

Boonoo

gregor7777 said:
WARNING

I've received several messages over Steam from people in various groups that have had their accounts hijacked.

They will send you a message about joining a group, and have a link with a URL like steamcommunity.t35.com (DO NOT GO THERE).

Something about having only 5 members, please join, etc.

It's a phishing site. You enter your username and password, as if you were signing in to Steam Community. They keep your credentials and log in to your real steam account.

Yeah, I got one from NIN90 (who seems to be a bunch of GAF groups, so I assume his account was nabbed). NIN90! If you're reading this, your account has been hacked.

Twig

Banned
Boonoo said:
Yeah, I got one from NIN90 (who seems to be a bunch of GAF groups, so I assume his account was nabbed). NIN90! If you're reading this, your account has been hacked.
He already fixed it, yeah.

Heh.

So no other specials which snuck in this weekend? where the fudge is FFVII :(

NIN90 said:
Guess who's the only guy that is stupid enough to click on the phishing link?
I had a phishing message from your account earlier but avoided problems, I actually clicked it at first and then suddenly realised it was a dud so closed the browser, chrome blocked the website too so it was all scary shit at first and I ran a virus scan just to be safe :lol

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Either I have had awful luck or the Multiplayer community for AVP is dead. Matchmaking and server browsing turns up little to nothing. I still had a blast with singpleplayer though and if you are a huge fan of the universe, it's worth that sale price.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Yeah, I wouldn't pick up AvP if you're looking for multiplayer matches. Since launch, the game has dropped from 13K people to under 2K (I'm guessing most from Europe). The still-terrible dedicated servers and crappy player-hosted ranked matchmaking aren't helping any.

Better yet, the dedicated servers don't support the DLC yet. So you're stuck praying someone else in the dwindling online population has it.

Javaman

It's not a steam deal, but with the recent release of Supreme Commander 2 it might be relevant to some of you. Office Max (lolz) has SC1 in a jewel case for $10. I had a bit of trouble patching it where none of the updates worked, but once I used the gold version patch it worked like a champ. Apparently it's labeled vanilla, but is really the gold pack. They've also got Mercenaries 2 and a couple of other newer games.

perhaps not surprising but telling that AvP is reduced so quickly (and reduced compared to Steam prices, not webstores).

I love FPS's but mainly just to hammer through once or twice for story/experience. TF2 is my multi-player go to.

Would a massive price drop have been better to boost uptake this weekend, and potentially get the multi-player side going more, rather than seemingly condemning AvP to the back-burner for good now?

I'm not a good example as my impulse buy limit is less than 10£/€, and I can't see steam pushing it that low so soon, but a little more than 33% may have really given it a shot in the arm.

Dynoro

Is the AvP single player worth the price of entry? I'm tempted but I have Metro 2033 and Dawn Of War 2xp to finish atm and Just Cause 2 on the horizon

Well, even though this article was wrong about the reason why both AssCreed2 and Silent Hunter V are not up on the UK Steam store, it did provide an interesting quote from an suppose Industry Insider:

A PC games industry insider told us this morning: "It's the latest in the Ubisoft DRM blow-up. Steam doesn't want to lose its reputation for customer service, and these games have angered its user-base."

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=239684

I wonder if the insider is credible (
probably not credible at all, since I wouldn't be surprised if CVG just dug up a random quote to save face
) and if anything will happen soon with Ubisoft's latest games on Steam.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Dynoro said:
Is the AvP single player worth the price of entry? I'm tempted but I have Metro 2033 and Dawn Of War 2xp to finish atm and Just Cause 2 on the horizon

It depends on how much you love Aliens and Predator. If you like both of those films a lot, then this is a lot of fan service and is probably worth it for just the singleplayer. The Predator campaign easily matches the gore from the movie :D

Dynoro

Stallion Free said:
It depends on how much you love Aliens and Predator. If you like both of those films a lot, then this is a lot of fan service and is probably worth it for just the singleplayer. The Predator campaign easily matches the gore from the movie :D
That's what I like to hear - I love both series; but was really put off by the general reaction to the game. I think I might just jump in at 15 squid though

mrgone

crimsonheadGCN said:
Well, even though this article was wrong about the reason why both AssCreed2 and Silent Hunter V are not up on the UK Steam store, it did provide an interesting quote from an suppose Industry Insider:

probably not credible at all, since I wouldn't be surprised if CVG just dug up a random quote to save face

Wow, they even amended the article with a mention that the games are still up on the US site (on top of commenters listing the game's availability in pretty much every other territory) , pretty much invalidating the whole Valve vs Ubisoft angle. Sharp reporting, CVG.

Hopefully it's some kind of sales injunction due to a lawsuit involving the new horrifying DRM :)

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Dynoro said:
That's what I like to hear - I love both series; but was really put off by the general reaction to the game. I think I might just jump in at 15 squid though

If you do pick it up and want to try the Last Stand type mode out in co-op, shoot me a PM and we can set it up.

panda21

crimsonheadGCN said:

yeah i was hoping it was the DRM but the fact its UK only, and the fact that the same thing appeared to happen to Metro 2033 makes me think it must be something else.

I can't figure out what on earth it could be though, especially considering other DD services are selling the games here.

Valve said:
Lead and Gold: Gangs of the Wild West Pre-Purchase Now
Announcement - Valve

Lead and Gold: Gangs of the Wild West is now available for pre-purchase on Steam. Receive beta access and 10% off now! This game is a third-person shooter that delivers an intense team-based multiplayer experience. Relive the violent era of the Wild West with adrenaline-fueled action and fast-paced gunfights.

http://store.steampowered.com/news/3625/

I've heard it being described as a Wild West version of Team Fortress 2.

LittleLordJimmy

Neo Member
panda21 said:
yeah i was hoping it was the DRM but the fact its UK only, and the fact that the same thing appeared to happen to Metro 2033 makes me think it must be something else.

I can't figure out what on earth it could be though, especially considering other DD services are selling the games here.

I read on the steam forums that it may have something to do with the UK exchange rate. Official word is just a 'business decision'.

By the way, for those who pre-order Lead And Gold: Gangs Of The Wild West, you will recieve instant beta access to the game that will get updated continously up to the day of release. Release date is April 8th, 2010.

deadlydeadite

Neo Member
crimsonheadGCN said:
By the way, for those who pre-order Lead And Gold: Gangs Of The Wild West, you will recieve instant beta access to the game that will get updated continously up to the day of release. Release date is April 8th, 2010.

Awesome to hear the beta is already going. I'm definitely getting it now.

Macmanus

Definitely going to grab that western game. God I'm a sucker for that genre.

To anyone that might be even REMOTELY interested in Avencast, it's exactly as good as you would expect from a game that scored 68 on Metacritic put out by Meridian 4. A weird Harry Potter-esqu dungeon crawler with funky controls. The leveling trees are good enough, and the combat is good enough. But just barely.

Twig

Banned
guys prince of persia warrior within is the shittiest fucking shit i ever shat out my shithole i hate it and i hate it

On a hopefully lighter note, I hear Two Thrones is not shit. And so I'm trying to play it. Problem is... it's not supporting analog controls. Warrior Within did it automatically with my 360 controller, no configuration required, but Two Thrones is giving me trouble. Digital only. Eight directions. It's... hard to get used to.

Anyone else have that problem? Or not have that problem? Or know how to fix it?

Twig

Banned
Twig said:
guys prince of persia warrior within is the shittiest fucking shit i ever shat out my shithole i hate it and i hate it

On a hopefully lighter note, I hear Two Thrones is not shit. And so I'm trying to play it. Problem is... it's not supporting analog controls. Warrior Within did it automatically with my 360 controller, no configuration required, but Two Thrones is giving me trouble. Digital only. Eight directions. It's... hard to get used to.

Anyone else have that problem? Or not have that problem? Or know how to fix it?
So my actual problem is that it's TOO sensitive. It went so far sensitive it wrapped back around to digital. Or something.

Even the slightest of nudges sends the Prince whirling like a tornado. ):

The Squad Pack is only available till April 2, 2010, according to the News feed:

Valve said:
Battlefield Bad Company 2 Squad Pack Available Now!
Announcement - Valve

Join the fight now! The Battlefield Bad Company 2 Squad Pack is now available on Steam! Buy 4 copies of the game for the price of 3 and gift the extra copies to your friends. This special will expire on April 2.

I don't think I ever remember a publisher having a temporary 4 pack for a game before.

Macmanus

Twig said:

It really is. When people say the latest PoP was the worst since the reboot I have to question whether they even played this steaming pile of hot garbage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom