• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
speculawyer said:
The Steam Store page for Lead & Gold has the single player listed as a feature but all I've read about it doesn't seem to say anything about single player.

Is that a mistake? For $13.49, it seems interesting enough.

(I know . . . but I like single player. I never play any one game long enough to get any good so I tend to get slaughtered in multi-player.)

Yes, the single player listing is a mistake. The game is multiplayer and coop (friends and you vs bots for training) only.

crimsonheadGCN said:
Yes, the single player listing is a mistake. The game is multiplayer and coop (friends and you vs bots for training) only.
Coop is good enough. I don't mind being the weak link. Actually, I played enough L4D2 that I got to be pretty good at that for a while.

The bots are supposedly easy though, so shouldn't expect much of a challenge. I think the developers have said that they only use them right now to ease you into the multiplayer, but they may improve the bots later.

ugh I am getting rather tired of seeing those Railworks dlc packages everywhere now, in new releases, under sales, it's flooding the place and pushing real games out of the top 10 sold list and other shit.

Diablohead said:
ugh I am getting rather tired of seeing those Railworks dlc packages everywhere now, in new releases, under sales, it's flooding the place and pushing real games out of the top 10 sold list and other shit.
Who buys that stuff? I understand liking a railroad simulation game. But $7.50 for a new locomotive? It's like one of those facebook game scams.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
speculawyer said:
Who buys that stuff? I understand liking a railroad simulation game. But $7.50 for a new locomotive? It's like one of those facebook game scams.
Well, you can buy a new Hot Wheels car for 5$, or play with a locomotive who's engine you like or whatever. I'm no train junkie, so I don't understand what drive someone to like a specific train, but it doesn't surprise me in the slightest that people are willing to buy them. A decent model train runs far over 300$, so at a combo meal price, getting to drive it, listen to authentic sounds...it's a bargain in comparison.

Chris R

So I know some interest was shown, but really, how about we get our act into gear here.

Right now on Steam, there is a Battlefield Bad Company 2 Squad Pack. Final cost would be 37.50 per game instead of 50. Decent discount, but you need to have 4 people willing to join in. I'm wanting one of the keys and can pay via Amazon Gift Cards or Paypal, but I'm not willing to buy the entire thing. If someone else is, and can find two other people willing to join in, that would be great...

Sloegr

Diablohead said:

I was thinking about that the other day, too. The 'Specials' tab is a mess thanks to Railworks. Right now, 9 of the 16 items in that tab are Railworks DLC items.

speculawyer said:

I pay about that for a new plane in the WWI flight sim Rise of Flight because I'm interested in both how the developers modeled the plane specs and in how the specific plane performs. I assume the impulse behind buying a new train is similar.

Oreoleo

Lyphen said:
Well, you can buy a new Hot Wheels car for 5$, or play with a locomotive who's engine you like or whatever. I'm no train junkie, so I don't understand what drive someone to like a specific train, but it doesn't surprise me in the slightest that people are willing to buy them. A decent model train runs far over 300$, so at a combo meal price, getting to drive it, listen to authentic sounds...it's a bargain in comparison.

When you put it like that it makes a ton of sense. You are a smart guy.

hamchan

ElJuice said:
I was thinking about that the other day, too. The 'Specials' tab is a mess thanks to Railworks. Right now, 9 of the 16 items in that tab are Railworks DLC items.

New releases tab gets messed up too. I think they need to bunch all the Railworks DLC under one item and the small niche that cares about that game can just click on that to see any new updates. In its current form it's just annoying the majority of steam consumers. Hopefully this isn't the Railworks developers taking advantage of the system to ensure their game always stays on the front page .

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Lyphen said:
A decent stadium costs millions of dollars so paying $5 a piece for extra stadiums through DLC is a steal.

Truespeed

speculawyer said:

I know what you mean. These train packs are always on sale, occupy 50% of the games on special category, and only appeal to a very small audience interested in this type of game. If you like trains, buy a Sid Meier Railroad game and get your train fix there. Besides, these trains aren't even authentic. Real trains are always tagged!

Twig

Banned
I think DLC should be stricken from those lists anyway. DLC is not a game. Damnit!

I never look at the lists though. :3

Truespeed said:
I know what you mean. These train packs are always on sale, occupy 50% of the games on special category, and only appeal to a very small audience interested in this type of game. If you like trains, buy a Sid Meier Railroad game and get your train fix there. Besides, these trains aren't even authentic. Real trains are always tagged!
I think this points out the issue . . . these are not gamers. Gamers would play Sid Meier. These are train geeks. That makes me understand it much more.

Twig

Banned
It's time for another round of Twig-complains-and-asks-for-help!

Prince of Persia again, but this time the new one.

It runs at a near constant fps with everything at max except AA. Turn on AA, even at 2x, and it drops to literally 1fps according to Fraps (though I think it's even Worse!). But without AA, it sometimes drops (permanently) and by the end of my recent session it was 17fps (constant, no fluctuation, which was weird) and when I opened the pause menu to quit.. 5fps. Navigating menus at 5fps is a pain in the ass. X:

Is POP known for having weird performance issues?

Mad Max

Affeinvasion said:
Is there no Limited Edition of Just Cause 2 on Steam that includes the parachute, hovercraft, etc.?

I don't think so, but you might as well just get the retail LE since you can tie it to your account anyway + it's cheaper.

Javaman

platypotamus said:
I didn't know stuff every got removed. Temporary?

The Godfather games have also been removed, probably permanently. I didn't notice till I finished the first one and was going to buy the 2nd. I can still DL it normally from steam though. (the first one)

Twig said:

It runs at a near constant fps with everything at max except AA. Turn on AA, even at 2x, and it drops to literally 1fps according to Fraps (though I think it's even Worse!). But without AA, it sometimes drops (permanently) and by the end of my recent session it was 17fps (constant, no fluctuation, which was weird) and when I opened the pause menu to quit.. 5fps. Navigating menus at 5fps is a pain in the ass. X:

Anything that stops you from playing that abomination is in your best interest. Just chalk it up as a favour and move on.

Edit: I can't be the only one that's been tempted to buy Railworks here, surely? The base game includes a route that goes straight through my home town ffs! How is that not awesome? Sims have been a hugely important part of PC gaming since PCs were first able to display graphics, and at one time there was an entire industry built around creating Flight Sim add ons. I don't see why the popularity of Railworks should be a surprise to anyone.

Slavik81

Twig said:
I think DLC should be stricken from those lists anyway. DLC is not a game. Damnit!
But an expansion pack is. And it's not clear where you can draw the line. Really, they should just deal with things clogging up the list on a case-by-case basis.

1-D_FTW

Twig said:

Does the framerate drop every time you play for a lengthy period? Could be a memory leak. If so, good luck finding the cause without a patch. Last time I had a memory leak was NOLF2 and I didn't know the source till they issued the last patch for the game (was NForce2 mobo I think.)

NIN90

Risen is still up on the german store (in english).

If anyone wants to have it gifted, I can help out.
Keep in mind that it's 49.99 EUR which converts to roughly 67,50 USD.

NIN90 said:
Risen is still up on the german store (in english).

If anyone wants to have it gifted, I can help out.
Keep in mind that it's 49.99 EUR which converts to roughly 67,50 USD.

If it becomes a weekend deal I'll keep it in mind, but if that's the price at the moment I'd rather actually buy a *shudder* DISC

Twig

Banned
brain_stew said:
Anything that stops you from playing that abomination is in your best interest. Just chalk it up as a favour and move on.
I like it so shut up.
1-D_FTW said:
Does the framerate drop every time you play for a lengthy period? Could be a memory leak. If so, good luck finding the cause without a patch. Last time I had a memory leak was NOLF2 and I didn't know the source till they issued the last patch for the game (was NForce2 mobo I think.)
I've only played for a lengthy period once. But it wasn't like a gradual drop it was just a sudden "here is 60fps oh just kidding here is 17fps". No fluctuation at all, either. Exactly 17fps for a good three minutes before I quit.

Twig

Banned
Twig said:
I've only played for a lengthy period once. But it wasn't like a gradual drop it was just a sudden "here is 60fps oh just kidding here is 17fps". No fluctuation at all, either. Exactly 17fps for a good three minutes before I quit.
Sooo, I just tried playing again. I have two save files. One before I got the first power (I picked the red one, FWIW), and one after I got the first power. If I load the one before, it runs at perfect 60fps. If I load the one after, it runs at "perfect" 17fps.

Opening the menu up after loading EITHER file drops fps to 5.

I may like what I've played of the game so far but it's not worth putting up with this shit. ):

Quick question for the mac support thing. When my friend installs the Mac client in April, can I (who uses a PC) gift my copy of HL2 to him for his account on Mac? I'm assuming yes, but would like some reassurance.

The Big Rig said:
Quick question for the mac support thing. When my friend installs the Mac client in April, can I (who uses a PC) gift my copy of HL2 to him for his account on Mac? I'm assuming yes, but would like some reassurance.

You could gift him it right now.

The Big Rig said:
is the mac client out?

He should be able to sign up for an account on Steam's website. If not, its just a case of using a Windows machine for 5 minutes, heck, you might as well set it up for him.

brain_stew said:
He should be able to sign up for an account on Steam's website. If not, its just a case of using a Windows machine for 5 minutes, heck, you might as well set it up for him.
Thanks

*takes avatar's palm and puts up against face for not realizing this*

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Twig said:
I like it so shut up.

I think we all stopped listening to Brain_stew's opinions on games when he declared Sega All Stars Racing as his GOTY. Also, do you have ATI or Nvidia for your card? The game ran awesome and fine on my previous Nvidia but I tried it the other day on my 5850 and I was getting scanlines or some shit going on (full-res/multiple levels of AA tried). It might be an ATI specific issue you may be encountering.

Slavik81

The Big Rig said:
is the mac client out?
The recipient of a gift doesn't need to have Steam. They can get an email and tie it to a Steam account later.

That also means that you don't necessarily need someone in mind when you buy a gift. I have spare copies of a few games lying around waiting for me to find someone who wants to play coop with me.

Slavik81 said:
The recipient of a gift doesn't need to have Steam. They can get an email and tie it to a Steam account later.

That also means that you don't necessarily need someone in mind when you buy a gift. I have spare copies of a few games lying around waiting for me to find someone who wants to play coop with me.

I'll be your friend...depending on the spare games you have...:D

kswiston

I have a question regarding Everquest/Everquest II:

I bought the Everquest pack for $2.50. I played the game for a month or two back in 2001 or 2002 and was curious to see what changes had been made. Figured that, for $2.50, I could treat it like a 30 day trial, and cancel before the monthly billing kicked in.

Anyhow, I was told by steam that I needed to sign into a station.com account. Since I have never used this site, I tried to create an account, but it said my username was taken. My username is never taken, so I tried logging in, and sure enough, I had an account. Not only that but it said that I had entitlement to Everquest I, Everquest II, every expansion for both released before 2009 and a bunch of bonus equipment. WTF. I only purchased the first two EQ expansions years ago, and never even tried EQ2. Did Sony give a bunch of free Everquest games/expansions and items to past subscribers at some point?

I might have spent the $2.50 for nothing, as it may be more fun to play the game with the 20 bonus items I have on the existing account, even if I have to pay $15 to play for a month (not really interested in playing longer than that).

kswiston

Dark Stalkers said:
I know Sony gave past players EQ2 and all the expansions a couple of years back.

That must have been the case for me, as my account is telling me that I have EQ1 and everything up to Seeds of Destruction, and EQ2 and everything up to Rise of Kunark (even though the last time I have played an EQ game was in 2002). Thanks!

Mount and Blade: Warband up for pre-purchase, 10% discount for $26.99. YOU PEOPLE KNOW WHAT TO DO.

It's downloading something too, is this the beta?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom