• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macmanus

TouchMyBox said:
Mount and Blade: Warband up for pre-purchase, 10% discount for $26.99. YOU PEOPLE KNOW WHAT TO DO.

It's downloading something too, is this the beta?

So is it just me, or is the thought of a properly executed online version of Mount and Blade probably the best sounding multiplayer experience ever?

Macmanus said:
So is it just me, or is the thought of a properly executed online version of Mount and Blade probably the best sounding multiplayer experience ever?

bolded for emphasis. I love Mount and Blade, but I just don't foresee the multiplayer being non-broken.

Macmanus

TouchMyBox said:
Have you guys played the beta? I don't know what the consensus here is, but I had tonnes of fun with it.

Haven't touched the demo. How does it feel, latency wise? Is the hit detection as solid or close to as solid as the single player? That is really make or break.

Macmanus said:
Haven't touched the demo. How does it feel, latency wise? Is the hit detection as solid or close to as solid as the single player? That is really make or break.

It was pretty much the exact same as single player but with a whole lot of people. I'm no crazy crazy hardcore guy that refuses to play CS:S due to the hitboxes not being up to par, but I didn't notice anything odd going on.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Right, I can't be the only one here who doesn't like black/grey gradients, so i decided to add a dash of colour to the Steam Beta UI.

Feel free to call it ugly etc (This is made for my tastes, and is more of an experiment to see how moddable the UI is) but constructive criticism and pointers would be welcome too.

Preview:

Link: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stopit.tidyup/steam.styles

If any of you are insane enough to want to actually use it, go to your Valve\Steam\resource\Styles dir, back up the existing steam.styles and replace with the one above.

Seriously though, if a complete idiot like me can get anything resembling ok, just think if a proper graphic designer started to play with it. The UI is so much more mod friendly than the old one it seems.

Diablohead said:
Any tips as to what this week's midweek madness will be?
FFVII please
If you have a PSP, may as well play it there. PSX games are MUCH more tolerable on a smaller screen and a portable form factor.

TouchMyBox said:
Do those games actually run on modern systems? And are they better than playing them through an emulator?

I've played the version that was ported to PC, and played the PS1 emulator version, and the emulator runs better.

Odious Tea said:
If you have a PSP, may as well play it there. PSX games are MUCH more tolerable on a smaller screen and a portable form factor.
Well I need a game to hold me over until Chaos Rings comes out on my iPhone, have no PSP :( so steam is second choice!

trinest

Stop It said:
Right, I can't be the only one here who doesn't like black/grey gradients, so i decided to add a dash of colour to the Steam Beta UI.

Feel free to call it ugly etc (This is made for my tastes, and is more of an experiment to see how moddable the UI is) but constructive criticism and pointers would be welcome too.

Preview:

If any of you are insane enough to want to actually use it, go to your Valve\Steam\resource\Styles dir, back up the existing steam.styles and replace with the one above.

Seriously though, if a complete idiot like me can get anything resembling ok, just think if a proper graphic designer started to play with it. The UI is so much more mod friendly than the old one it seems.
Wrong colours + ur photoshop page has an OCD color background- so yeah....no

Major SS:HD update.

Steam said:
A significant update to Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter, has been released today that adds a deathmatch mode and new content.

Update includes:

* Deathmatch Mode
* 7 Deathmatch Levels
* 22 Steam Achievements
* Spectator Support
* New "Game Overlay" menu used instead of old player list.
* Server details display with customized settings in server list
* Support for custom map rotation lists
* Voting of customized difficulty in co-op
* Added support for achievement progress display.
* Separate setting for autochange weapon in multiplayer games.
* Dedicated server operator (logged in through rcon) can chat with players.

Bug Fixes:

* Player's weapon is not bobbing any more when player "walks" in the air.
* Fixed crashes when invoking samVoteIsEnabled, samVoteDisable and samVoteEnable from the console.
* Removed F4 keyboard shortcut for invoking options menu (it collided with voting).
* Fixed random crashes and lockups on exit that would happen if user exited the server list menu, while it was still searching for more servers.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
wow that's a nice update to SSHD. Deathmatch mode would be interesting, Wonder if there's any aussie servers for it, im going to go with bugger all.

So I just made my first non-Steam PC game purchase since I bought the Orange Box (which even then doesn't really count). Mass Effect 2 was cheap on Amazon. The game is asking me to put in the CD every time I want to play, it doesn't need to read it, it just wants to make sure I have it. I guess I've just been out of the loop on DRM practices since I'm buying almost 100% Steam games now but this is ridiculous. Never again.

Suairyu

Banned
BuddhaRockstar said:
The game is asking me to put in the CD every time I want to play, it doesn't need to read it, it just wants to make sure I have it. I guess I've just been out of the loop on DRM practices since I'm buying almost 100% Steam games now but this is ridiculous. Never again.
That's been the standard practise for years, since way before Steam came around, and is pretty much the only non-DD form of validation that is tolerable. Were you a PC Gamer before DD came along?

BuddhaRockstar said:
So I just made my first non-Steam PC game purchase since I bought the Orange Box (which even then doesn't really count). Mass Effect 2 was cheap on Amazon. The game is asking me to put in the CD every time I want to play, it doesn't need to read it, it just wants to make sure I have it. I guess I've just been out of the loop on DRM practices since I'm buying almost 100% Steam games now but this is ridiculous. Never again.

Welcome to the last...err 15 years of PC gaming?

Firestorm

BuddhaRockstar said:
Better than needing the disc in + limited activisions + online connection, but yeah, this is the reason I switched to Steam only. I can't stand swapping discs depending on what game I wanna play. I sold my retail Dragon Age so I could get it digitally instead.

Scipius

Suairyu said:
That's been the standard practise for years, since way before Steam came around, and is pretty much the only non-DD form of validation that is tolerable. Were you a PC Gamer before DD came along?

That doesn't make it any less annoying as a DRM method, especially considering Mass Effect 1 did not have a CD check.

confused

Banned
BuddhaRockstar said:

Just install EADM, put your serial in there and get a free digital copy of your game :) No more disk-checks

Tim-E

TouchMyBox said:
Do those games actually run on modern systems? And are they better than playing them through an emulator?

FF7 through ePSXe > FF7 PC version

Though, they could potentially do an updated version of the PC game that makes it playable on modern systems and fixes some of the little things that are wrong with it.

Suairyu

Banned
Scipius said:
That doesn't make it any less annoying as a DRM method, especially considering Mass Effect 1 did not have a CD check.
No, it had SecuROM instead. A CD-check is seriously the lesser of two evils regarding those two.

I get that the ten+ seconds it requires to change a disc over can be an annoyance, especially if you're the type to play several games at the same time and casually flit between them, but I really cannot begrudge a developer/publisher requiring the CD to be inserted. Without it, casual software theft, "let me lend you the disc so you can install it and we play together. Lend it to Jonny and Mary too, then we can all group up!", runs rampant.

It has been this way since the birth of the PC-CD medium, as far as my memory allows me to recall.

Suairyu said:
Without it, casual software theft, "let me lend you the disc so you can install it and we play together. Lend it to Jonny and Mary too, then we can all group up!", runs rampant.
That doesn't mean a thing anymore with no-CD cracks. They're not just for pirated games.

Chris R

rhfb said:
So I know some interest was shown, but really, how about we get our act into gear here.

Right now on Steam, there is a Battlefield Bad Company 2 Squad Pack. Final cost would be 37.50 per game instead of 50. Decent discount, but you need to have 4 people willing to join in. I'm wanting one of the keys and can pay via Amazon Gift Cards or Paypal, but I'm not willing to buy the entire thing. If someone else is, and can find two other people willing to join in, that would be great...
last chance bump before I just go and buy it from Amazon for 40$ :(

procrastinator

Neo Member
Suairyu said:
No, it had SecuROM instead. A CD-check is seriously the lesser of two evils regarding those two.

I get that the ten+ seconds it requires to change a disc over can be an annoyance, especially if you're the type to play several games at the same time and casually flit between them, but I really cannot begrudge a developer/publisher requiring the CD to be inserted. Without it, casual software theft, "let me lend you the disc so you can install it and we play together. Lend it to Jonny and Mary too, then we can all group up!", runs rampant.

It has been this way since the birth of the PC-CD medium, as far as my memory allows me to recall.

There were also various different versions of floppy disc checks as well.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Suairyu said:

The situation you described is exactly what was impossible with Blizzard games because the same CD Key could not play online on more than one account simultaneously.

mandiller

Stop It said:

Preview:

I like it. Nice work!

BuddhaRockstar said:
Man, I bet consoles are your nightmare then!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Suairyu said:

good thing that the cd check has prevented all those people from pirating!

Doytch said:
Unleash the lunatics who can't fathom that someone might be burned out on that kind of an experience.

I think he would have worded it differently if that's what he meant. Nevertheless, do unleash the lunatics. Lunatics are always good comedy.

Nabs

th_catwtf7.gif

Interfectum said:
I am sorry if I hit a nerve.

L4D1 had lots of talk about supporting the game with new features, modes and chapters. We got a survival mode and 1 new chapter. Nearly all the other support went into a fresh sequel within a year, I don't feel like supporting it even if gabe flew me over to take an early look
he didn't

bestami

Well i got the first game for 7$ at the christmas sale. I didn't liked it. If i paid 25$ for it i would feel burned to be honest.

Interfectum

Prophet Steve said:
I call and raise with an unneeded sequel.

Diablohead said:

L4D1 had lots of talk about supporting the game with new features, modes and chapters. We got a survival mode and 1 new chapter. Nearly all the other support went into a fresh sequel within a year, I don't feel like supporting it even if gabe flew me over to take an early look
he didn't

bestami said:
Well i got the first game for 7$ at the christmas sale. I didn't liked it. If i paid 25$ for it i would feel burned to be honest.

Now you're just trying to piss me off. Very funny guys. :lol

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Diablohead said:
Is that it? :(

I don't own it but I don't want it, played the first one with a cousin on his 360 enough to warrent a pass for this too-soon sequel.

I thought the exact same thing. Then i got it for 20 bucks from brain_stew and completely changed my mind. I swear some of the stuff they added in this one blew me away like the first one did.

Suairyu

Banned
Diablohead said:

he didn't
There is a new campaign in the works for the first L4D. That's post-sequel support, son, and fantastic value. L4D2 improves pretty much everything, so also feels worth it, especially at a price like this. They're both fantastic games and I recommend anyone owning both.

Javaman

bestami said:

I tried to like the first one but just couldn't get into it. #2 would have to drop below 10$ to pique my interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom