• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Interfectum

Javaman said:
I tried to like the first one but just couldn't get into it. #2 would have to drop below 10$ to pique my interest.

110j5du.gif

Javaman

Interfectum said:

I'm not sure why you're having so much difficulty understanding that other people dislike games you like.

If someone is looking to spend a couple of dollars this week, I highly recommend Freespace 2 which can be found on GOG for 6$. Combined with the mod community that's still updating the gfx regularly it's an amazing deal.

http://www.hard-light.net/
http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
(A bit off topic since it's not a steam deal, but oh well)

RScreen0004.jpg

RScreen0047.png

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Please explain how you don't like the Left 4 Dead games, I can't think of any reasons on my own. I mean Left 4 Dead 2 was one of my least favorite Valve games, but I still play it and like it far more than most other games. I think I am getting close to ~200 hours in it.

Stallion Free said:
Please explain how you don't like the Left 4 Dead games, I can't think of any reasons on my own. I mean Left 4 Dead 2 was one of my least favorite Valve games, but I still play it and like it far more than most other games. I think I am getting close to ~200 hours in it.
Why would you need somebody to explain to you why they don't like a particular game? Who cares?

Javaman said:
I tried to like the first one but just couldn't get into it. #2 would have to drop below 10$ to pique my interest.

This is exactly how I feel. The first L4D has been my least played game of all the Valve games I own. Even at $25 is still too much. For $20 I could get S.T.A.L.K.E.R. COP, which is a much meatier game than L4D2.

Note: This my own opinion. Disregard the above, if you have enjoyed L4D.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Chris Remo said:
Why would you need somebody to explain to you why they don't like a particular game? Who cares?

Because I am curious? Sometimes I get tired of hearing why people are madly in love with a game and like to hear from someone who dislikes it?

drizzle said:
No excuses this time.
Except I'm waiting for the Complete Pack to go on sale. :D

Plus I didn't get into 360 version of L4D. Granted, I only played through the campaign once and haven't tried the multiplayer.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Stallion Free said:
Because I am curious? Sometimes I get tired of hearing why people are madly in love with a game and like to hear from someone who dislikes it?

So can i gush about why i like both l4d1 and l4d2? Not trying to convince anyone that they SHOULD like it i just have a new found love for them. I could do the same with TF2.

nexen

Stallion Free said:

I can't speak for him but I can tell you why I didn't like L4D all that much:

* Dearth of content for a full price release.
* The zombie-rush always felt weird to me.
* I didn't like the way the game director would randomly spike difficulty.
* Didn't enjoy the gunplay that much. Weapons felt wimpy, sorely missed iron-sights.
* Gunplay was too run & gun for me, I prefer more tactical.
* I am really, really, REALLY tired of zombies.
* I thought that the graphics engine is starting to look a bit dated (sorry guys!)

I got the PC version $20 during black friday. I had a good amount of fun with it and feel I got my money's worth. At full price I would've felt a bit ripped off.
Since L4D2 doesn't look to add much more to the mix I'm passing until it's really dirt cheap.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Stallion Free said:
The game stole my girlfriend and shat in my cereal. It's a dick.

Twig

Banned
I like wmat's reasons.
nexen said:
I can't speak for him but I can tell you why I didn't like L4D all that much:

* Dearth of content for a full price release.
* The zombie-rush always felt weird to me.
* I didn't like the way the game director would randomly spike difficulty.
* Didn't enjoy the gunplay that much. Weapons felt wimpy, sorely missed iron-sights.[/B]
* Gunplay was too run & gun for me, I prefer more tactical.
* I am really, really, REALLY tired of zombies.
* I thought that the graphics engine is starting to look a bit dated (sorry guys!)

I got the PC version $20 during black friday. I had a good amount of fun with it and feel I got my money's worth. At full price I would've felt a bit ripped off.
Since L4D2 doesn't look to add much more to the mix I'm passing until it's really dirt cheap.
The bolded makes no sense. There is plenty of content in L4D. The graphics look perfectly great. God forbid any game not have Crysis levels of graphics or have a world the size of a typical JRPG.

Also, it's plenty tactical if you play versus, but I can understand the complaint if you prefer playing co-op.

zwarmsbies is cool ]':

EDIT: Oh, I just read the comment that started all this.

lollolal

John

I didn't like L4D's online infrastructure; there's no button that just says "find a completely vanilla low-ping game that's about to start and has three other people."

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
John said:
I didn't like L4D's online infrastructure; there's no button that just says "find a completely vanilla low-ping game that's about to start and has three other people."

Didn't the game not even ship with dedicated servers or something? I remember they added something to do with servers after the game shipped.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
In all seriousness, I didn't like L4D because of its focus on coop multiplayer, the wonky difficulty levels (nothing really matched my skill, it was either too hard or too easy), the aggressiveness of the zombies (I'm more of a slow-zombie guy) and the annoying characters. To me, they were all like TF2 dudes who didn't quite make the cut. And I don't like TF2, to make matters worse.

Having said that, by the numbers, it's still a pretty good game, I guess. I'm not stupid enough to argue with that.

nexen said:
:lol

I like your new avatar better.
Awesome.

nq5i13.gif
Ultima5Avatar.png

nexen

Twig said:
I like wmat's reasons.

The bolded makes no sense. There is plenty of content in L4D. The graphics look perfectly great. God forbid any game not have Crysis levels of graphics or have a world the size of a typical JRPG.

Also, it's plenty tactical if you play versus, but I can understand the complaint if you prefer playing co-op.

zwarmsbies is cool ]':

EDIT: Oh, I just read the comment that started all this.

lollolal
Hey, more power to you if you liked it. I can certainly understand its appeal. The poster was just asking for counter opinions so I oblidged him.

As for versus - that was more frustrating than fun for me. Couldn't get the hang of it for some reason. I greatly preferred co-op.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
wmat said:
In all seriousness, I didn't like L4D because of its focus on coop multiplayer, the wonky difficulty levels (nothing really matched my skill, it was either too hard or too easy), the aggressiveness of the zombies (I'm more of a slow-zombie guy) and the annoying characters. To me, they were all like TF2 dudes who didn't quite make the cut. And I don't like TF2, to make matters worse.

Having said that, by the numbers, it's still a pretty good game, I guess. I'm not stupid enough to argue with that.

Awesome.

nq5i13.gif
Ultima5Avatar.png

Okay game over...

I was one of the L4D2 skeptics. I bought L4D for $25 a few months after the game came out (50% off sale on Steam) and sunk over 100 hours into it. It was fun, but lacked a lot of things: the maps weren't balanced for versus, no collision detection among teammates (leads to a lot of corner camping), Boomer vomit broken beyond heck.

I tried the L4D2 demo and wasn't terribly impressed. New items, new guns, new SI, did they need a new game for this? My friends were buying it though so I waited for a sale and bought it.

The demo doesn't do it justice. The game is a lot better and fixed a lot of the issues with the first game. The new levels are quite good (I like the atmosphere of Heavy Rain (wait isn't that a PS3 game?) and the Parish Bridge finale). I do miss the original cast, but the new characters aren't bad.

Twig

Banned
nexen said:
Hey, more power to you if you liked it. I can certainly understand its appeal. The poster was just asking for counter opinions so I oblidged him.

As for versus - that was more frustrating than fun for me. Couldn't get the hang of it for some reason. I greatly preferred co-op.
Yeah I'm not saying LIKE IT OR DIE. The rest of your reasons made perfect sense, as they're almost entirely personal opinion. But the two I bolded don't!
wmat said:
I don't like wmat's reasons.

]:

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Lone_Prodigy said:
I was one of the L4D2 skeptics. I bought L4D for $25 a few months after the game came out (50% off sale on Steam) and sunk over 100 hours into it. It was fun, but lacked a lot of things: the maps weren't balanced for versus, no collision detection among teammates (leads to a lot of corner camping), Boomer vomit broken beyond heck.

I tried the L4D2 demo and wasn't terribly impressed. New items, new guns, new SI, did they need a new game for this? My friends were buying it though so I waited for a sale and bought it.

The demo doesn't do it justice. The game is a lot better and fixed a lot of the issues with the first game. The new levels are quite good (I like the atmosphere of Heavy Rain (wait isn't that a PS3 game?) and the Parish Bridge finale). I do miss the original cast, but the new characters aren't bad.

That happened to me. I couldn't even finish the demo. When i played the Heavy Rain mission i was blown away. I used to live Houston, TX (pretty close to New Orleans) and we would get storms just like that. So to add that with zombies blew me away.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
zombieshavebrains said:
Okay game over...
Stupid achievement shit and cartoon nonsense, coupled with annoying and over-the-top sound effects and gimmicky game modes? Just not my thing.

Doesn't mean I have a vendetta with TF2 freaks, I just can't stomach what it does. I like FPS games that have medium-to-slow pacing and a realistic theme. My favorite FPS ever is SWAT4. Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Twig said:
CP and CTF is gimmicky?

what the shit crack mother damn are you smokin' son
Well, it's less the gamemodes themselves, more how they're presented, together with game-specific quirky stuff. The announcer, the flashy stats screen, the weird character specials.. I find all that annoying. It's just not what I want to sink my teeth into. I don't want to actually use the spy how he's supposed to be used, or run around healing dudes with that HP gun.

Maybe there's a great game below the presentation layer, but I can't get past it. That while I enjoyed TFC. I think it's really the presentation that annoys me. Especially the character blurbs and the announcer. Drives me nuts.

nexen

Twig said:
Yeah I'm not saying LIKE IT OR DIE. The rest of your reasons made perfect sense, as they're almost entirely personal opinion. But the two I bolded don't!
For content: You can see everything that game has to offer in a single day, yet it cost the same as other Valve titles that took me weeks to burn through. Nothing particularly mind blowing ever really happens in any of the levels either. It's all just more zombies, zombies, zombies + a handful of special zombies. I'm actually for smaller, better games but the cost should come down and the content should be more varied. To make matters worse any sense of pacing is removed by letting the director populate the levels and the sense of overall story arc is damaged due to the episodic nature of the presentation.

For engine: I'd really have to sit down and pick it apart again to feel comfortable giving more solid reasons, but it looked dated to me when it first launched. I expected more from a big name like Valve and was disappointed when I finally got my hands on the game. On the plus side I did like the look of the player character models and iirc the shadows were nice.

Had other areas of the game piqued my interest more I could have overlooked any one of these points. It just didn't gel with me.

Takuan

I'm interested in a 4-pack group buy for L4D2. Have Paypal, also willing to do an e-mail money transfer through TD Canada Trust (TD North for Yanks). I'm in Canada, but I don't think that should make any difference.

Twig

Banned
wmat said:
Drives me nuts.
You're nuts!!!
nexen said:
You can see everything that game has to offer in a single day.
You went through all four campaigns in one day? What did you play on, easy?

Moreover, you're treating a multiplayer game, a game that's meant to be played over and over, like it's a single player game. Left 4 Dead is not Half-Life 2 and has never professed itself to be Half-Life 2. The overarching story is... not really supposed to matter at all. I think you're looking for something in this game that it is not trying to be.

And as for the engine complaints, well... we'll just have to agree to disagree. Hating something because it "looks dated" is the most appalling opinion I've ever run across.

But I will not argue further as it's just opinion.

wmat ur still nuts tho

nexen

Twig said:
You're nuts!!!

You went through all four campaigns in one day? What did you play on, easy?

Moreover, you're treating a multiplayer game, a game that's meant to be played over and over, like it's a single player game. Left 4 Dead is not Half-Life 2 and has never professed itself to be Half-Life 2. The overarching story is... not really supposed to matter at all. I think you're looking for something in this game that it is not trying to be.

And as for the engine complaints, well... we'll just have to agree to disagree. Hating something because it "looks dated" is the most appalling opinion I've ever run across.

But I will not argue further as it's just opinion.

wmat ur still nuts tho

Hm. I never said I hated it. I said I enjoyed it for $20 and would have felt ripped off if I had paid more than that. I just felt it should have been a bigger game.

And, yes, I did go through all four in one day, unless I'm misremembering.

I've paid L4D's original asking price for games that offered both a lengthy single player game as well as compelling multiplayer with loads more content. (BFBC2 most recently). It just felt like they were offering half a game for the price of a full one to me. That is really my biggest gripe, the more I reflect on it. If I were to pick a game to attack though L4D would be extremely low on my list. I'm only doing so now because someone asked and bitching is fun :)

Twig

Banned
I never said you said you hated it. O:

I would disagree that Bad Company 2 offers more... what's the word... "lasting"? I dunno... gameplay as Left 4 Dead offers, but okay. Opinion again.

52club

To me L4D and L4D2 are two games that I should like, but never hold my attention. In fact I've played L4D2 less than L4D.

Great sale on the second one though.

Desaparecido said:
I don't know about dedication. I really couldn't get into it. Finished the campaign and never touched it again.
L4D wasn't "pick up and play" friendly enough for me. I like being able to play something for 15-30 mins then quit. It required a lot of time in sequential blocks to get through.

I still put 13 hrs into the game, but it's my least favorite game Valve has published.

Twig

Banned
Desaparecido said:
I don't know about dedication. I really couldn't get into it. Finished the campaign and never touched it again.
I mean dedication like "i am going to play this until it's done"

It takes more than five minutes. Also there are four campaigns in the first game. Well, five if you count Crash Course. Okay maybe four and a half.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom