• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoFuzz

Weekend deal is Torchlight: 75% off - $5 again.

Good Diablo'ish fun if you haven't already sunk 60 hours into it like I have.

Sloegr

Trouble said:
The hell, Steam? It says the L4D2 deal is good until 4PM PDT, but it's showing full price now for me.

I guess they probably saved me $25. I was on the fence.

Yeah, Steam isn't very reliable about ending their sales at the stated time.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Also i just came back from the future and i know that the next week midweek madness is going to be 50% off the following Quake games:

* Quake 2007 Collection
* Quake
* Quake Mission Pack 1: Scourge of Armagon
* Quake Mission Pack 2: Dissolution of Eternity
* Quake II
* Quake II Mission Pack: Ground Zero
* Quake II Mission Pack: The Reckoning
* Quake 3 Pack: Quake III Arena + Team Arena

Gexecuter said:
Also i just came back from the future and i know that the next week midweek madness is going to be 50% off the following Quake games:

* Quake 2007 Collection
* Quake
* Quake II

:D nice find

Hawk xSx said:
Torchlight is well worth the $5.

Yeah, Torchlight is great...

Now how about some NEW great deals, Steam? There can't be that many interested parties that don't have the game yet. this is the 5th or 6th time the game's been on sale.

I'm just tired of seeing the same games on sale all the time. I've already bought the Quake games on sale too so next week's a bust.

Sorry for the rant but here lately there have been plenty of deals but every single one of them has either been a "re-deal" of one sort or another or just plain not much of a bargain.

I miss being tempted :(

Nice. From my limited experience with Torchlight (had to change PC and forfeited my saved games in the process recently, although I'll be back to it shortly), it is a worthy game at $20. At $5? A steal. Provided you're into the genre, that is.

Edit: 5-6 times on sale already? WTF how did I manage to pick it up at full price? I suck at life. :lol

careksims

Damn. Torchlight? Again? Yeah I like to see another deal... I dunno like Just Cause 2 weekend deal XD. I don't know about Quake next week :/

MoFuzz

SteelAttack said:
From my limited experience with Torchlight (had to change PC and forfeited my saved games in the process recently
I guess you must have been playing before Steam Cloud support was added? Otherwise, characters and saves should be saved online, and can be used on any PC later on...

Daigoro said:
dont resist. its a brilliant game and you have a cool avatar from IT crowd!

see? you gotta join us.
I'll totally play it if I have cool people to play with. Wanna be that person? and yeah IT crowd probably my favorite show ever now, watched every episode on Netflix in one big long marathon. Can't believe I didn't know about it until about a 6 months ago.

MoFuzz said:
I guess you must have been playing before Steam Cloud support was added? Otherwise, characters and saves should be saved online, and can be used on any PC later on...
Oh shit! Really? I never knew about that. Just assumed you would have to manually transfer saves between systems. I changed my desktop about a month and a half ago or so, and haven't installed most of my games, so I just assumed that was the way it was.

Neat. So I'm going to get back to my saved file when I install Torchlight again? Awesome! Thanks for the heads-up.

Like I said before, I fail at life. :lol

SteelAttack said:
Oh shit! Really? I never knew about that. Just assumed you would have to manually transfer saves between systems. I changed my desktop about a month and a half ago or so, and haven't installed most of my games, so I just assumed that was the way it was.

Neat. So I'm going to get back to my saved file when I install Torchlight again? Awesome! Thanks for the heads-up.
You should, as long as you saved a game after the Steam Cloud update. I think they added achievements in that same patch, so if you got any of the achievements you should be fine.

MoFuzz

SteelAttack said:

Like I said before, I fail at life. :lol
Yep, as long as you have the Steam version of the game, and played it at least once after mid December when Steam Cloud support was added, it should all be there when you install the game and login to your account. It's the same way with all Steam Cloud games BTW.

I'm probably dreaming here, but if they could somehow retroactively put Steam Cloud support into all prior releases in addition to all future games, Valve would further cement their awesomeness.

Sloegr

Gexecuter said:
These recent deals while not bad they seem uninspired, i just want a Space rangers 2 deal soon :(

I'd go for a Space Rangers 2 deal as well. SR2 (without reboot) was $2 on Impulse over the holidays, so I feel justified in waiting for $5 for SR2 Reboot on Steam.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
dollartaco said:
SR2 is amazing. I am a true believer.

xlbi1k.jpg

Zzoram

Is it just me, or does every Steam client update from the last 2 months say it "really fixed offline mode"?

I don't use offline mode, but has it been broken?

rohlfinator said:
You should, as long as you saved a game after the Steam Cloud update. I think they added achievements in that same patch, so if you got any of the achievements you should be fine.
Awesome. I do have Torchlight achievements. Like...three of them, but they're there, nevertheless. :D

MoFuzz said:
Yep, as long as you have the Steam version of the game, and played it at least once after mid December when Steam Cloud support was added, it should all be there when you install the game and login to your account. It's the same way with all Steam Cloud games BTW.

I'm probably dreaming here, but if they could somehow retroactively put Steam Cloud support into all prior releases in addition to all future games, Valve would further cement their awesomeness.
Sweet, thanks.

So, not all games support this feature?

Gexecuter said:
Oh man, don't spoil the deals for me. They are something to look forward to twice a week.

It sucks lately though . . . most things that go on sale are things I already bought on sale.

Steam is nice in that it has given the gaming industry its "Broadcast TV" equivalent.

Movies: Theatre->PPV->HomeVideo->Movie Channels->Broadcast (not always that order)

Games: $60 retail->Reduced retail->Greatest Hits->Bargain Bin->Steam sales

Asparagus

Listened to todays idle thumbs podcast, wanted to download and play Metro 2033 tonight, only I can't because it's not on the UK store even though it's a steamworks game. What the fuck?

fallen_elite

Neo Member
Gexecuter said:

* Quake 2007 Collection
* Quake
* Quake II

Screw Quake lets at least get some Doom weekend deal instead. If I wanna play Quake I'll play Quake Live. Good find though.

Sloegr

Zzoram said:
Is it just me, or does every Steam client update from the last 2 months say it "really fixed offline mode"?

I use offline mode a fair bit, and I've yet to have a problem with it. I'm just waiting for one of these fixes to break offline mode for me :lol

vazel

Banned
Zzoram said:

Yea that's weird. I thought the updates kept failing so it kept trying to reinstall the same update.

Scipius

Zzoram said:

Are you running the beta? What I assume is happening is that we're seeing beta client updates, which don't have their own update news, so they reuse the last official one over and over again.

Therion

Scipius said:
Are you running the beta? What I assume is happening is that we're seeing beta client updates, which don't have their own update news, so they reuse the last official one over and over again.

Yeah, if you want to see the real patch notes check the sticky in the beta forum.

Van Owen

Banned
Torchlight again? This is like the fourth time it's been on sale.

Fuck it. I don't think I'll even like it but I'll still bite. They apparently want me to have it.

Asparagus said:
Listened to todays idle thumbs podcast, wanted to download and play Metro 2033 tonight, only I can't because it's not on the UK store even though it's a steamworks game. What the fuck?
I don't know why it's not available there, but whatever the reason, it's almost certainly related to regional publishing rights, nothing to do with Steam or Steamworks.

I usually try to only buy games with multiplayer, with Steam sales, so that I don't spend as much... I've only broken that rule like ten times in the past month, so this can't hurt.

Tim-E

I bought Torchlight the day it released, and a ton of people already have it, but the more people playing this game, the better off humanity will be.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Van Owen said:
Torchlight again? This is like the fourth time it's been on sale.

Fuck it. I don't think I'll even like it but I'll still bite. They apparently want me to have it.

Meanwhile, at Runic Games:
anhx.jpg

forrest

formerly nacire
Yeah Torchlight is great, it gets my vote for sure. I'll probably pick up the Quake pack as my Quake 3 Arena is Mac only and I pretty much only use my home built pc's these days. Oh and I never played quake 1 or 2, but arena was the game that not only got me into pc gaming, but also sparked me to start a career in making art for games!

I'm still waiting on Crysis Maximum Edition and Stalker: SoC to go on sale.

Volcynika

nacire said:
Yeah Torchlight is great, it gets my vote for sure. I'll probably pick up the Quake pack as my Quake 3 Arena is Mac only and I pretty much only use my home built pc's these days. Oh and I never played quake 1 or 2, but arena was the game that not only got me into pc gaming, but also sparked me to start a career in making art for games!

I'm still waiting on Crysis Maximum Edition and Stalker: SoC to go on sale.

Someone missed the holiday sale! :p

forrest

formerly nacire
Volcynika said:
Someone missed the holiday sale! :p

Yeah I was on my 2003 Home built AGP pc at christmas time, so pc gaming wasn't really high on my agenda. Then I built my new i7 HD5850 rig last month so I'm patiently waiting for some of those holiday deals to come back as stand alones.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
nacire said:
Yeah I was on my 2003 Home built AGP pc at christmas time, so pc gaming wasn't really high on my agenda. Then I built my new i7 HD5850 rig last month so I'm patiently waiting for some of those holiday deals to come back as stand alones.
Should've bought back then and waited until now to play.

vocab

I regret not buying Civ4 complete, and Stalker:SoC during the sale. O well. Nothing to get that sad about. We are making full circle with these Steam Sales. They should be on sale in no time.

randomwab

Asparagus said:

Just a heads up that if you buy the retail version, it activates through Steam.

Asparagus

Chris Remo said:
I don't know why it's not available there, but whatever the reason, it's almost certainly related to regional publishing rights, nothing to do with Steam or Steamworks.
randomwab said:
Just a heads up that if you buy the retail version, it activates through Steam.
Oh I know, just seems bizarre that you have to activate it through steam yet can't buy it through it. Online retail's cheaper anyway, I just had a rare impulse moment.

Dr. Zoidberg said:
Yeah, Torchlight is great...

Now how about some NEW great deals, Steam? There can't be that many interested parties that don't have the game yet. this is the 5th or 6th time the game's been on sale.

I'm just tired of seeing the same games on sale all the time. I've already bought the Quake games on sale too so next week's a bust.

Sorry for the rant but here lately there have been plenty of deals but every single one of them has either been a "re-deal" of one sort or another or just plain not much of a bargain.

I miss being tempted :(

Actually, I'm one of those people who kept missing out on Torchlight, not knowing if it was good enough to warrant the purchase.

If it's a good game at $20, then it would be a crime not to get it at $5.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
I still haven't beaten Titan Quest, so I'm gonna skip Torchlight this time. I'm sure it'll be a deal again eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom