• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
mr stroke said:
Torchlight for $5

:eek:

think I might give it a shot

Its got to be worth that right?

Try out the demo. The demo is on Steam and I believe that if you buy the full version then Steam will convert the demo into the full version without redownloading anything.

I didnt pick up Torchlight during the holiday because I had alredy spend too much damn money on games.

It kinda sucks Im in the same situation in March, but I am picking it up this time

Daigoro

Cat in the Hat said:
I'll totally play it if I have cool people to play with. Wanna be that person? and yeah IT crowd probably my favorite show ever now, watched every episode on Netflix in one big long marathon. Can't believe I didn't know about it until about a 6 months ago.

hell yeah, lets play. my steam id is in my profile. add at will.

i keep weird hours though.

I'm on steam ok but my pc auto logs on boot so I been connected all day.

Just noticed the batman GOTY version is on steam now, £30 like the regular version. Is it me or does the pc version not have the 3D effect included? the info just says 4 new maps...

krzy123

I'd couldn't get in due to the update timing out. I tried deleting the ClientRegistry.blob and that didn't work. Then I deleted the ClientRegistry blob, started steam, immediately hit cancel on the update, and then started steam again it worked.

It was weird. Form the steam forums if you're using the beta, using the -clearbeta switch and then trying to log in also seems to work.

Diablohead said:
I'm on steam ok but my pc auto logs on boot so I been connected all day.

Just noticed the batman GOTY version is on steam now, £30 like the regular version. Is it me or does the pc version not have the 3D effect included? the info just says 4 new maps...

It was already 3D vision ready so you've always been able to play it in both Stereo or anaglyph just fine.

mr stroke

animlboogy said:
Quick Steam question: Is it possible to have in-game voice and the game sounds separate in Steam games? I'm using the PS3 bluetooth headset and I'd like to avoid blasting the game sounds over. I know push to talk helps, but it can still muck things up...

not to my knowledge

if you want to go xbox live style(voice in headset and sound over speakers) you have to use a 3rd party client(Vent or Teamspeak)

sucks Valve doesn't incorporate a separate channel for this. I switched to using a headset because of this reason.

I don't think I've seen this message before.

Steamdown.jpg

Edit: I'll try the clearbeta thing, and all else fails, I'll un/reinstall.

Macmanus

Smash88 said:
Dr. Breen's voice actor died (Robert Culp).

:(

Damnit Valve, good job getting Episode 3 out the door....jerks.

Seems weird to complain about lack of episode three, since you clearly never finished the original HL2.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Eaten By A Grue said:
That was pretty nice of Valve to do a tribute to Robert Culp in the update news.

What did they do? I can't find any reference on Steam (Unless I'm not looking hard enough...)

Twig

Banned
bernardobri said:
What did they do? I can't find any reference on Steam (Unless I'm not looking hard enough...)
It was in the pop-up Steam announcements, so if you have those turned off you might not have seen it. I'm not sure if those are part of any normal news feed or not!

bernardobri

Twig said:
It was in the pop-up Steam announcements, so if you have those turned off you might not have seen it. I'm not sure if those are part of any normal news feed or not!

Oh, thanks. Saw it now, although they should have put it on the updates of all the HL2 related games. Still, that's a nice gesture from Valve.

slamskank

It's so annoying you can't have steam games install to anywhere else but C:/. When are they gonna let me choose? I have an 80gb SSD so I can only have my go to games on there, everything else is backed up and i just install them when I need to, but it's a pain.

vazel

Banned
slamskank said:
It's so annoying you can't have steam games install to anywhere else but C:/. When are they gonna let me choose? I have an 80gb SSD so I can only have my go to games on there, everything else is backed up and i just install them when I need to, but it's a pain.
I agree with you this should be a built-in feature but you can do it manually. Google 'steam mklink'.

bernardobri

Asparagus said:
You can? I have it installed on my I:/ drive. Steam games install wherever Steam itself is installed, just put Steam on another drive.

Yep, you can. I have it on a different drive as well.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Yea i was praying steam would include where your files are in the beta, it would be awesome if that option does pop up.

But you have to create a mklink / junction if you want to store your games on a separate drive. The problem i had this morning though was that when i wanted to download the witcher it claimed i didn't have enough hdd space (my os ssd drive where steam is installed didn't have enough) instead of the drive all the files are actually on. Had to download it with steam on a different drive then copy it all over.

Minsc

Gold Member
Twig said:
Install Steam to a different hard drive?

I think the point is it would be nice if you had the option built in to steam to use different drivers, maybe you have 3 smaller drives, or 1 SSD that you like to cycle games on, or maybe you just have 300 or 400 steam games installed, and even a 1TB isn't enough space.

Windows 7 lets you get around that limitation of Steam, so it's not a big deal, but most everything else ever made lets you pick individual directories for games.

I'm trying to use symlinks to move things off my raptor but I can't seem to figure it out.

I'm in windows 7, and everything i try is giving me syntax errors, though I'm typing what the tutorials tell me to.

I havent used the command line in years so i'm sure i'm doing something wrong.

After opening the command prompt as an admin what do i need to do?

EDIT- Nevermind....wasn't using quotes.

WHOAguitarninja said:
I'm trying to use symlinks to move things off my raptor but I can't seem to figure it out.

I'm in windows 7, and everything i try is giving me syntax errors, though I'm typing what the tutorials tell me to.

I havent used the command line in years so i'm sure i'm doing something wrong.

After opening the command prompt as an admin what do i need to do?

mklink /J

you can thank me later

5il3nc3r

Really tempted to get the Dawn of War Complete Pack. Has it ever been on sale? Is there still an active multiplayer community for the first Dawn of War or has everyone moved to Dawn of War 2?

Xapati

5il3nc3r said:
Really tempted to get the Dawn of War Complete Pack. Has it ever been on sale? Is there still an active multiplayer community for the first Dawn of War or has everyone moved to Dawn of War 2?

The community for dawn of war 1 still exists, but it's small and pretty hardcore. You can only find games in the evening.
However DoW 1 has a magnificent AI mod. Combine it with the excellent map packs you've got some serious replay value in the form of skirmish battles against the AI.

Also the modders are still working on the soulstorm version of the steel legion mod which will add even more replay value.

GWX

The Big Rig said:

Steamdown.jpg

-clearbeta worked for me, but I had to open Steam with the modified shortcut 3 or 4 times to make it work.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Eaten By A Grue said:
That was pretty nice of Valve to do a tribute to Robert Culp in the update news.
bernardobri said:
Twig said:
bernardobri said:
Oh, thanks. Saw it now, although they should have put it on the updates of all the HL2 related games. Still, that's a nice gesture from Valve.

For those who missed it:

RobertCulp.png

Plasma

Banned
The Big Rig said:

Steamdown.jpg

Go into the directory you installed Steam (Usually C:\Program Files\Steam) and delete the file ClientRegistry.blob.

Althane

Yeah, in my opinion, the games are worth $5. The downside of never getting a conclusive ending is pretty big, but eh, for $10, you'll get your money's worth.

The games are fairly standard, you go around, beating up stuff (the battle system is in the trailers, so I shouldn't really have to explain it much at all), and collecting things to progress through the storyline. They're fairly easy, but funny enough and have some good references to the comic. Not great quality, but not low quality by any means.

ZZMitch

Do Steam Achievments work when you are offline? I have been playing through Torchlight on my laptop up at my ski condo... and I guess I am missing a bunch of achievments...

Twig

Banned
Althane said:
Yeah, in my opinion, the games are worth $5. The downside of never getting a conclusive ending is pretty big, but eh, for $10, you'll get your money's worth.

The games are fairly standard, you go around, beating up stuff (the battle system is in the trailers, so I shouldn't really have to explain it much at all), and collecting things to progress through the storyline. They're fairly easy, but funny enough and have some good references to the comic. Not great quality, but not low quality by any means.
But we are! It's just gonna be in written story format on the Penny Arcade website, instead of in game format.

I enjoyed the first game a lot. Never played the second. I intend to buy it some day though... five bucks hell yeah.

shatter is fantastic, just a heads up

i had it on ps3 but the mouse is so much more precise it's even better. not to mention aa'ing the shit out of it. worth it

NIN90

I was kinda interested in Settlers 7 (it looks fantastic) but then i saw the Ubi DRM. :lol
It's such a bad fit for the game over here. With the german casuals (not everyone of them has a permanet internet connection) going nuts about it and all.

So if you already own valve PC games (Orange Box, L4D, etc.) will you be able download & play on the Mac when the Mac versions become available?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom