• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
xyla said:
Hows AI Wars? Looks interesting and I´m always in for a good take on Tower Defense.
It's not really a tower-defence game. Think something like a cross between supreme commander and sins of a solar empire with light-tower defence elements.
Game is awesome btw, total steal for $10. (especially since it includes the expansion).

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I've been looking through this thread to find a game that was discussed, but i can't seem to find it.

It was some medieval strategy (I think) game that had bad graphics, but a mod gave it super realistic graphics, making the game 10 times better.

Most of the screens were in a field, with trees and knights of some sort on horses.

It was on steam, it got a deal and people were going bananas about it on this forum. Which game was that?

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
drizzle said:
I've been looking through this thread to find a game that was discussed, but i can't seem to find it.

It was some medieval strategy (I think) game that had bad graphics, but a mod gave it super realistic graphics, making the game 10 times better.

Most of the screens were in a field, with trees and knights of some sort on horses.

It was on steam, it got a deal and people were going bananas about it on this forum. Which game was that?
Mount and Blade?

Dynoro

drizzle said:

I think you mean Mount and Blade

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Archie said:
Mount and Blade?
Yeah, it's an Action RPG tho.

Seriously, I spent a good 10 minutes looking for it on this thread. I posted this message then i typed a random page on my address bar (i think it was page 100) and the third message in that page was "Mount & Blade for 4,99" and the reply was "I won't miss it again this time". And then it automatically clicked that THAT was the game.

Oh well.. Thanks.. :D

Vorador

Banned
Since i lent my copy of Quake a few years ago and never got it back i decided to plunge into the Quake deal. And later patched it up with the Ultimate Quake Patch since the GLQuake exe hanged on startup on my Vista 64 machine.

I still remember the first level like it was my own house, The Slipgate Complex. Every nook and cranny, including all the secrets. I played the shareware too much for my own good :lol

IMACOMPUTA

Guys i have a question..
Crysis Warhead;
Whenever i launch it in full screen it automatically sets the refresh rate to 50hz, and there are black borders.
Trying to play at my monitors native res (1920x1080) with an ati 5850.
I've searched all over the place, but nothing i've tried has worked.. Any help would be amazing.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
IMACOMPUTA said:
Guys i have a question..
Crysis Warhead;
Whenever i launch it in full screen it automatically sets the refresh rate to 50hz, and there are black borders.
I've searched all over the place, but nothing i've tried has worked.. Any help would be amazing.
I believe this is a DirectX 10 bug, you have to make it run in DX9 mode, then set your resolution then switch back to DX10

IMACOMPUTA

Easy_D said:
I believe this is a DirectX 10 bug, you have to make it run in DX9 mode, then set your resolution then switch back to DX10

Yeah, i tried that. That let me atleast change the res.. but i still have black bars.

Thanks for the suggestion though :)

Slavik81

xyla said:
Hows AI Wars? Looks interesting and I´m always in for a good take on Tower Defense.
Play the demo. I nearly bought it, until I tried the demo and discovered that I'd have no fun at all with it.

IMACOMPUTA said:
Guys i have a question..
Crysis Warhead;

If you are using the preview 10.3b try:

First: If your refresh rate is 50hz in Crysis, then make sure to set your desktop is also set to 50hz. This ensures that the res & refresh rate that Crysis is using are changed by the following step.

Second: In CCC, go to Desktop & Displays, right click on small monitor in the bottom left, select the Scaling Options tab and drag bar all the way to the right. Apply etc.

IMACOMPUTA

CabbageRed said:
If you are using the preview 10.3b try:

First: If your refresh rate is 50hz in Crysis, then make sure to set your desktop is also set to 50hz. This ensures that the res & refresh rate that Crysis is using are changed by the following step.

Second: In CCC, go to Desktop & Displays, right click on small monitor in the bottom left, select the Scaling Options tab and drag bar all the way to the right. Apply etc.

Yeah, that's what I'm using. But my monitor is 60hz.. I dont know why Crysis warhead, and only crysis warhead automatically switches to 50hz.
The scaling is all the way to the right already.. Hm, not sure what else to try.

Fonds

So I just reinstalled my PC.
When starting up Steam however, I can only see CS as an uninstalled game while I should have loads more in that list.

Anyone have a clue how to solve that problem?

Javaman

Fonds said:
So I just reinstalled my PC.
When starting up Steam however, I can only see CS as an uninstalled game while I should have loads more in that list.

Anyone have a clue how to solve that problem?

Try restarting steam after deleting your.blob file. IIRC it's in your steam root directory.

char0n

IMACOMPUTA said:
Yeah, that's what I'm using. But my monitor is 60hz.. I dont know why Crysis warhead, and only crysis warhead automatically switches to 50hz.
The scaling is all the way to the right already.. Hm, not sure what else to try.

I forget where it is (since I'm at work), but in the CCC under the display settings there is a setting to let the video card handle scaling instead of your monitor/TV (it was a radio-button toggle), this finally fixed the issue in Crysis/Warhead for me. The only side effect is that anything you play at a lower res will be upscaled by your GPU instead of your monitor to its native res, but that can be a good thing depending on your monitor.

I recommend everyone to download the Global Agenda trial.

1)Global Agenda is not the best game in the world.

2)This is a meaningful trial. You get the entire game, but can not lvl beyond lvl 15. But that will take you a long time, and you can still play and have fun after being lvl 15 for a while. Meaning that, you are not under time preasure, and your characters wont dissapear.

3)The Developers seem keen on getting success with this game. So far they have been insane at pumping out patches and updates.

4)The game is not a visual treat. In many areas it feels Indy. But considering similiar game... Hellgate London and Crimecraft, Global Agenda is the best thing out it's type. It has the character persistency of a MMO, the hectic tactical action of a combo between Guild Wars and Planetside, and some wonderful design philosophies hidden underneath a poor presentation like Hellgate.
This could be a gem.

5)If you are anticipating APB which seems like it will the fourth attempt at an third person action online game with MMO elements, this might be able to make the wait feel shorter.

http://globalagendagame.com/freetrial/

the trial gets tied to your Steam account once you make a profile.

IMACOMPUTA said:
I just ran into this problem with Just Cause 2. Apparently CCC keeps a separate setting for each refresh rate, so try manually switching your monitor's refresh rate to 50Hz in CCC, then adjust the scaling settings from there. Once you've set the scaling for 50Hz, then you can switch back to 60Hz and it'll remember your 50Hz settings and apply them when you run Warhead.

kamspy

IMACOMPUTA said:
Guys i have a question..
Crysis Warhead;

At least it launches for you. It just stopped launching for me one day. Steam doesn't care since I have an nvidia card in an AMD motherboard. That releases them from giving me any customer support due to technicality.

I've reinstalled Warhead clean. Wiped steam resigtry blob. Reinstalled steam, even reinstalled my OS.

Nothing helps. It just goes black. However, I have Warhead on disc as well and it works fine. Go figure.

IMACOMPUTA

rohlfinator said:
I just ran into this problem with Just Cause 2. Apparently CCC keeps a separate setting for each refresh rate, so try manually switching your monitor's refresh rate to 50Hz in CCC, then adjust the scaling settings from there. Once you've set the scaling for 50Hz, then you can switch back to 60Hz and it'll remember your 50Hz settings and apply them when you run Warhead.

Awesome, that sounds like it should work.
I think that might be what someone said previously, i just misunderstood them.
Thanks everyone! I'll let you know if it works.

IMACOMPUTA

kamspy said:
At least it launches for you. It just stopped launching for me one day. Steam doesn't care since I have an nvidia card in an AMD motherboard. That releases them from giving me any customer support due to technicality.

I've reinstalled Warhead clean. Wiped steam resigtry blob. Reinstalled steam, even reinstalled my OS.

Nothing helps. It just goes black. However, I have Warhead on disc as well and it works fine. Go figure.
Wow, that sucks.
Oh, hi kamspy. :)

vocab said:
Borderlands weekend deal. :(

Yup. Ugh, I usually hate when people say this so I expect the same reaction but the last couple of weeks have been meh. Hardly any new releases, hardly any new pre-purchase offers, and sale wise nothing to write home about.

panda21

LovingSteam said:
Yup. Ugh, I usually hate when people say this so I expect the same reaction but the last couple of weeks have been meh. Hardly any new releases, hardly any new pre-purchase offers, and sale wise nothing to write home about.

yeah it feels like ages since there were any worthwhile steam deals. torchlight was the only one i got recently and i imagine most people who wanted that had it a long time ago.

seems like there are far fewer releases in the next month than i thought there were, even on the consoles. in that thread where someone listed each week from march until may or something it looked pretty full.

panda21 said:
yeah it feels like ages since there were any worthwhile steam deals. torchlight was the only one i got recently and i imagine most people who wanted that had it a long time ago.

seems like there are far fewer releases in the next month than i thought there were, even on the consoles. in that thread where someone listed each week from march until may or something it looked pretty full.

I will say that in the past, when Valve has had a span like this, it usually was leading up to something good.

Proc

rhfb said:
I'd probably buy it at that price if it included all DLC, but since it doesn't, I'll be passing :lol

yeah, you gotta think a "gold/complete" edition is right around the corner

Just Cause 2 is really sticking in there!

vocab said:
Borderlands weekend deal. :(

Ugh. Now we just need a few more DLC's for that train game clogging the front page and we'll have a perfectly dull Steam weekend.

Sloegr

fry said:
Has Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines ever gone on sale? I've been patiently waiting for over a year. Maybe I should give up hope and spend the $20.

It was $10 on Steam for Halloween 2008 and $5 on D2D last year. I missed those and had been waiting for a long time, so I finally took the plunge for $20. That means it will likely be on sale within the month, if my luck holds.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I'm guessing the PC version of Borderlands is a shoddy port or something? I see that they are selling the DLC ala the console version so that is already one strike against it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom