• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
panda21 said:
yeah it feels like ages since there were any worthwhile steam deals. torchlight was the only one i got recently and i imagine most people who wanted that had it a long time ago.

seems like there are far fewer releases in the next month than i thought there were, even on the consoles. in that thread where someone listed each week from march until may or something it looked pretty full.
Isn't this a good thing? :lol

panda21

Archie said:
I'm guessing the PC version of Borderlands is a shoddy port or something? I see that they are selling the DLC ala the console version so that is already one strike against it.

seems fine to me, although i didnt get far. the only complaint is that its just the console version interface wise, but if you use the 360 controller thats fine.

it also looks noticeably better than the ps3 version

ElJuice said:
It was $10 on Steam for Halloween 2008 and $5 on D2D last year. I missed those and had been waiting for a long time, so I finally took the plunge for $20. That means it will likely be on sale within the month, if my luck holds.

:lol

I hope you are right for my own sake. :p

I'll continue to wait patiently.

vazel

Banned
Archie said:
I'm guessing the PC version of Borderlands is a shoddy port or something? I see that they are selling the DLC ala the console version so that is already one strike against it.
It's real heavy on the GPU. I had to lower res to 1280x960 on my 4850 to get 30-40fps. UE3 engine games usually run really well at 1600x1200 on my system.

Bisonian

Archie said:

It has gotten better as of late (they patched Multiplayer to reliably work like... a month ago?), but it shipped in really shoddy condition. Connectivity and voice chat was (and sort of still is) a mess. Having your online go through Gamespy is just archaic. When it shipped you had to do some extensive .ini editing to get the most basic of PC functions going (vsync, fix the shoddy default fov it shipped in, various graphic engine options, some advanced keybindings to get the UI to act more like a computer game then a reject console port, disable the unskippable boot up movies, etc). I'm pretty sure they have not patched those things to be available through the game's UI although I haven't played it as of late.

Once it's up and running the way you like it though, it's pretty solid. I personally thought the performance was good, it was stable, it looks nice, and for my money you can't beat KB/M for a shooter. Your mileage may vary, of course. I don't think you'll find a better deal then $25 anytime soon on the console side anyway.

coopolon

vazel said:
It's real heavy on the GPU. I had to lower res to 1280x960 on my 4850 to get 30fps. UE3 engine games usually run really well at 1600x1200 on my system.

Just wanted to say I had the complete opposite experience, for anyone interested in buying it. I have an e8400, 4850, and ran the game at 1920x1200 no problems whatsoever. I never used FRAPS, but if it got below 30 it would have been noticeable and I never experienced a problem. All settings on highest possible, I was very impressed at how well my 4850 held up.

biocat

Javaman said:
Me too. That's three. All we need is a fourth and a host.

I'm at work right now and can't get onto my Steam account, but I'll paypal the money ASAP to the host. Steam ID is biocat.

bdouble

aww man missed the L4D2 4 pack on payday? I need to get that before I get into the Mac Beta (Yes I'm being that positive plus it has to come out soon no?)

GWX

vazel said:
It's real heavy on the GPU. I had to lower res to 1280x960 on my 4850 to get 30-40fps. UE3 engine games usually run really well at 1600x1200 on my system.

It runs better on Nvidia cards. I get 30~60 fps with my GTS250 512MB at 1440x900.

Kerrinck

biocat said:
I'm at work right now and can't get onto my Steam account, but I'll paypal the money ASAP to the host. Steam ID is biocat.

Mine is Kerrick84. Just let me know when you guys find a host and I will paypal him the money.

Chris R

I mean seriously WTF were they thinking with no dlc on sale? Goty/gold edition can't be too far out so I'll just wait for that to drop in price after it comes out.

Javaman

Firehead said:
Delete ClientRegistry.blob and log back in; seemed to fix it for me. Gotta love that cure all.

Yeah, that was the first thing I tried. (And actually suggested that to someone else several post ago. :lol)
Unfortunately it couldn't even connect to download the new blob file. The problem fixed itself about 10 mins later.

rhfb said:
I mean seriously WTF were they thinking with no dlc on sale? Goty/gold edition can't be too far out so I'll just wait for that to drop in price after it comes out.

Come to think of it, I'm going to do the same. As tempting as sub $20 is, the OCD in me is going to want to get the DLC too and right now it's more expensive than the game. There's bound to be a combo pack eventually. Curse you paid DLC.

GWX

Javaman said:
Come to think of it, I'm going to do the same. As tempting as sub $20 is, the OCD in me is going to want to get the DLC too and right now it's more expensive than the game. There's bound to be a combo pack eventually. Curse you paid DLC.

If you skip Mad Moxxi's Underdome Riot, the DLC costs $20. And combined, Zombie Island of Dr. Ned and The Secret Armory of General Knoxx has as packed with content as the full game. I'm not defending the lack of discount for the DLC, but $20 is a fair price.

but the lack of teleporters in the DLCs SUCKS

biocat

Hrmmm... nobody is hosting yet?

Well, I'm willing to host the four-pack. If you're still interested in a copy, message me your Steam info and I'll give you my paypal address. :)

(edit) I'm still at work now so I'll have to wait until I get home on my computer to send the copies out.

Firestorm

bdouble said:
aww man missed the L4D2 4 pack on payday? I need to get that before I get into the Mac Beta (Yes I'm being that positive plus it has to come out soon no?)
Left 4 Dead 2 just had a price drop to $29.99 which puts the 4 pack at $89.99. You only missed out on a dollar or two in savings.

deleted

Ok fellow GAFers, I could use some help here. I convinced 2 pals (not on gaf) to get into a borderlands 4 pack with me, but we are living in germany which means a) more expensive version and b) low violence version.

I would really appreciate if someone from the US or UK who wanted to buy a copy of borderlands anyway would buy a 4 pack instead and gift the remaining 3 copys. I would paypal the money or could also transfer it.

Edit: Would also work if I can get only 2 copys.

tadcalabash

Neo Member
xyla said:
Ok fellow GAFers, I could use some help here. I convinced 2 pals (not on gaf) to get into a borderlands 4 pack with me, but we are living in germany which means a) more expensive version and b) low violence version.

I would really appreciate if someone from the US or UK who wanted to buy a copy of borderlands anyway would buy a 4 pack instead and gift the remaining 3 copys. I would paypal the money or could also transfer it.

Edit: Would also work if I can get only 2 copys.

I can arrange that for you. If you can paypal me the amount for 3 copies of the 4pack I'll buy it and gift it over to you. I'll send you a PM with my paypal e-mail.

deleted

tadcalabash said:
I can arrange that for you. If you can paypal me the amount for 3 copies of the 4pack I'll buy it and gift it over to you. I'll send you a PM with my paypal e-mail.

Give this man Member status! Worked flawlessly :D Borderlands get.

Javaman

tadcalabash said:

Will it even let you gift all three to the same person? If so, how can he regift it? I thought it was a one time shot.

IMACOMPUTA

For anyone wondering --
For my crysis warhead problem with borders and switching to 50hz,
Changing to 50 hz in CCC and setting overscan/ thenswitching back to 60hz fixed it!
Thanks!

Psy-Phi

Javaman said:
Will it even let you gift all three to the same person? If so, how can he regift it? I thought it was a one time shot.
I assume after contacting each other, he was told the other two people to gift it to.

deleted

Psy-Phi said:
I assume after contacting each other, he was told the other two people to gift it to.

Jup, we worked it out via mail. Gave him all 3 E-Mail Addresses and we could activate the game from that.

Volcynika

Alpha Protocol up for preorder again, and the same deal before it was taken down, applies. Free Space Siege if you do!!!!

:p

EDIT: And demo up for Serious Sam HD: First Encounter (not the new one of course)

Morokh

Mhh Borderlands 50% off .... Really tempted :D

Any chance 2k games will make a GOTY edition with all the DLC ? or should I jump right in ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom