• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rufus

Davidion said:
I've had dreams where I've jumped in mid-air and all of a sudden start falling sideways; this kinda feels the same.
Excuse the OT, but I've just got to say that this is really weird. :lol

KePoW

Banned
vocab said:
Dead Space, and Crysis Warhead are both $13.

How is Crysis Warhead? I just got a brand new desktop PC, my first new system in like 5+ years.

So I've been looking for some nice graphical games to play. Is Crysis Warhead at least stable and worth 14 bucks?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
KePoW said:
How is Crysis Warhead? I just got a brand new desktop PC, my first new system in like 5+ years.

So I've been looking for some nice graphical games to play. Is Crysis Warhead at least stable and worth 14 bucks?

It's stable and totally worth 14$ if you like first person shooters.

KePoW

Banned
Stallion Free said:
It's stable and totally worth 14$ if you like first person shooters.

Awesome, sounds good and FPS is one of my favorite genres.

I've been playing Just Cause 2, Fallout 3, Dragon Age, all on maxed out settings... it's so nice to finally have a powerful gaming PC again!

Oreoleo

KePoW said:

Have you played the original Crysis? Warhead is good but falls short of Crysis in just about every way IMO. Which basically boils down to lower-res textures and smaller, more-linear levels. Anyway for $14 you can't really go wrong.

KePoW

Banned
Orellio said:
Have you played the original Crysis? Warhead is good but falls short of Crysis in just about every way IMO. Which basically boils down to lower-res textures and smaller, more-linear levels. Anyway for $14 you can't really go wrong.

No, I never played Crysis. In some very short reading around, it sounded like Warhead was better technically since it came out later?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
KePoW said:
No, I never played Crysis. In some very short reading around, it sounded like Warhead was better technically since it came out later?

It runs slightly better and I don't know what version of the game Orellio played, but there aren't lower-res textures. It is slightly more linear than the first, but it compensates by amping up the action.

Zachack

KePoW said:
Warhead runs better because there are some tweaks applied, but some of them are visual-lowering tweaks. Draw distance of certain details is the big one, I find it very noticeable and from what I've read it can't be turned off.

That said I'm about 2/3s through and I like it more than Crysis. I don't know if I'd call it more or less linear, but there were parts of Crysis that I found kinda boring and unfun that I haven't run into with Warhead.

KePoW

Banned
Zachack said:
Warhead runs better because there are some tweaks applied, but some of them are visual-lowering tweaks. Draw distance of certain details is the big one, I find it very noticeable and from what I've read it can't be turned off.

That said I'm about 2/3s through and I like it more than Crysis. I don't know if I'd call it more or less linear, but there were parts of Crysis that I found kinda boring and unfun that I haven't run into with Warhead.

Got it, thanks guys. Think I'll go with Warhead since it's 14 bucks. Can't wait to check out the graphics.

Oreoleo

Stallion Free said:
It runs slightly better and I don't know what version of the game Orellio played, but there aren't lower-res textures. It is slightly more linear than the first, but it compensates by amping up the action.

I have the Steam version and it's one of the first things I noticed. Maybe custom configs can explain it away a little, but it seemed to me that the textures for the gun models were less crisp in Warhead. I don't think it's any secret that Warhead was SUPPOSED to be dialed down a notch just so it would run better than Crysis 1.

vocab

Orellio said:
I have the Steam version and it's one of the first things I noticed. Maybe custom configs can explain it away a little, but it seemed to me that the textures for the gun models were less crisp in Warhead. I don't think it's any secret that Warhead was SUPPOSED to be dialed down a notch just so it would run better than Crysis 1.

Warhead looks like shit to me, so your observations aren't that far off.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
KePoW said:

Yes, but it's probably a better idea to just buy Crysis anyways. It is the better game. By far. Warhead is definitely good, but Crysis is currently pretty much the best FPS you can play.

Crysis also has slightly better graphics, although Warhead does top it in a couple ways.

edit: Don't know what people are saying about these textures. Warhead actually mostly has better textures than Crysis does where there is any difference.

Rubezh

panda21 said:
it was US only for dead space and crysis price drop

fuuu.png

epmode

Boonoo said:
I think I might grab dead space. I hear it's pretty great if you play with the music off.
I like it lots. The music is definitely overdone though.

If you wind up buying it, TURN OFF VSYNC. And use a 360 pad since the game was obviously designed around one.

Otherwise, it's a great port.

Struct09

Boonoo said:
I think I might grab dead space. I hear it's pretty great if you play with the music off.

It's great even if you play with music on. Had I known ahead of time, I would have turned music off though.

Oreoleo

epmode said:
I like it lots. The music is definitely overdone though.

If you wind up buying it, TURN OFF VSYNC. And use a 360 pad since the game was obviously designed around one.

Otherwise, it's a great port.

And play it on hard! Normal/medium is too easy and actually makes the game less fun.

RJT

Crysis Warhead is still 30€ in Europe. Would totally (eventually) buy at 12€. EA's pricing has been really good, kudos to them (the only games I bought on Steam outside of promotions were Orange Box and Mirror's Edge).

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I wonder when Mirror's Edge will be 2,50 again. I know it was at that rice on numerous occasions, but i didn't really play the full game until recently on a friends house and now i regret not buying it.. :(

vocab

Dice said:
Me too, but why is it 7.7GB?

Seems normal to me for a console developed based game, plus it has higher res textures, and higher quality audio. Napoleon Total War is 22-24 gigs if you want a comparison.

Tigel

vocab said:
Seems normal to me for a console developed based game, plus it has higher res textures, and higher quality audio. Napoleon Total War is 22-24 gigs if you want a comparison.
How the fuck do you download a 20+ gigs game?? My monthly bandwidth cap is 30 gigs :lol
:(

Tigel said:
How the fuck do you download a 20+ gigs game?? My monthly bandwidth cap is 30 gigs :lol
:(

You don't settle for a slow bandwidth-capped service? I probably download 200GB of data a month easily. I'd be screwed (and pissed) with a 30gb cap.

Tigel

Damn you guys are lucky. Where I live, the most I can get with my ISP is a 125GB (and that's upload and download combined) cap for like 80$ a month :S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom