• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2016 - HL3 releasing today. Left 4 Dead 3 and Persona 5 this summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

DasFool

How in the world are we getting yearly AssCreeds and CoDs?

Yearly installments are nothing new and I don't feel any malice towards companies deciding to put them out (hell, Yakuza is one of favorite series), but I feel there's a glut of this series in existence. It doesn't help that they all have insufferable naming conventions which leads them to appear as one gargantuan mass rather than indiviual products.

Counting spinoffs and remakes it's 12 games apparently. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperdimension_Neptunia

This is what I mean, twelve games across six years is quite a feat. Amazing how they seem to sell gangbusters every time, too.

Jawmuncher

I'd be in heaven.

Also:

FTFY
I ducking wish. I'd never need any other games.

Yearly installments are nothing new and I don't feel any malice towards companies deciding to put them out (hell, Yakuza is one of favorite series), but I feel there's a glut of this series in existence. It doesn't help that they all have insufferable naming conventions which leads them to appear as one gargantuan mass rather than indiviual products.

This is what I mean, twelve games across six years is quite a feat. Amazing how they seem to sell gangbusters every time, too.
The PC ports being a tad later and at a reduced price seem to help a lot surprisingly. I think have an active discount for the cheaper price works better than just having that cheaper price.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
A glance at the menus and first few minutes of gameplay for EGTTR by a user who managed to download Rapture. Apparently, there's no DRM on the exe, so the lucky few who managed to snag it before Sony corrected their listing error will be able to play.

While I'm just sitting here.

Waiting.

Not any more.

Edit: I'm blind and missed Cheesecake's post as I was scrolling up.

No worries <3 I've been a bit quiet here lately, so I'm still getting myself re-situated now that I'm home~

there's a part subjective in how little that game resonated with me but honeslty it just felt tedious and uninteresting.

like it felt like i was playing a really forgettable indie movie

based on the ppl i know that like it like cheesy i'm guessing there's some more meditative aspect to dear esther that completely went over my head and that's fair, i'm not gonna judge it on its own merits cos it's just not my kind of game, i don't like games where i don't feel like an active participant

which is why if i have to like a visual novel i'll like the christine love games and if i like a walking simulator it'll bee gone home.

the reason i love gone home so much is how it delivers its story and takes advantage of being a videogame, which is why i'm excited for tacoma. it's a walking simulator designed by people with ultima heads, which means that the simulation of walking actually feels like gameplay and not just padding in between the story beets. same with hate plus or whatever, if i'm like making a small decision every third line of dialogue then i'll feel good and won't get bored by it

Yeah, I hardly hold it against anyone if they didn't care for Dear Esther, as much of a milestone it was for me. Rapture, from what I have read, appears to be much more straightforward in its storytelling and connects the events the narrators are discussing into the physical world the player moves around in. I'm still not sure if it would work for you, knowing the particulars of how you prefer those types of games. I'll have to get my hands on it and let it sit with me for a while.

MUnited83

For you.

I wouldn't say gangbusters but they definitely have a loyal userbase and their games are pretty cheap to make for the most part.

They also have a amazingly good support for such a niche series, the publisher really goes above and beyond. Great PC ports, dual audio, excellent western dubs and localization, great PC ports, physical releases for console even for the nichest of the nichest of their games (Hyperdimension Neptunia PP). They put many of the big AAA publishers to shame.

Jawmuncher

I wouldn't say gangbusters but they definitely have a loyal userbase and their games are pretty cheap to make for the most part.

They also have a amazingly good support for such a niche series, the publisher really goes above and beyond. Great PC ports, dual audio, excellent western Dubai and localization, great PC ports, physical releases for console even for the nichest of the nichest of their games (Hyperdimension Neptunia PP). They put many of the big AAA publishers to shame.

It's a shame bigger devs for smaller titles they have feel the need that stuff has to sell gamgbusters to be worth it. When like you said you have these smaller companies doing just fine.

Tellaerin

Imagine if Dino Crisis had dev teams

FTFY

: /

It's a shame bigger devs for smaller titles they have feel the need that stuff has to sell gamgbusters to be worth it. When like you said you have these smaller companies doing just fine.

The B-tier needs to make a big comeback. Solid games that may not have the biggest budgets or highest production values, but are creative and fun to play. You saw a lot of those back in the PS1 and 2 days, and then they slowly dropped off.

you can see the inspirations when reading berserk but they're pretty different stuff
Oh yeah, I meant both have some aesthetics, armor and weapon fetish in common. The little bit of Berserk I saw is in its sum different from DS albeit.
I remember even reading that devs talked about taking inspiration for Artorias DLC. I might be off though, it has been a while.
On that, it's weird there are not many Berserk games. Such a long series ought to be popular.

Jawmuncher

FTFY

: /

The B-tier needs to make a big comeback. Solid games that may not have the biggest budgets or highest production values, but are creative and fun to play. You saw a lot of those back in the PS1 and 2 days, and then they slowly dropped off.

Right through the heart.
Yeah I miss B Tier devs. That was a lot of my favorite stuff back in the day.

hesho

i don't think they sell *that* well. I imagine, each release has lower sales then the previous one but they still make money on the release so they keep churning them out.......... which works for me ^^

DasFool

They also have a amazingly good support for such a niche series, the publisher really goes above and beyond. Great PC ports, dual audio, excellent western Dubai and localization, great PC ports, physical releases for console even for the nichest of the nichest of their games (Hyperdimension Neptunia PP). They put many of the big AAA publishers to shame.

"Gangbusters" may have been sensationalist, but the numbers are certainly high for a niche JRPG series releasing only last year for the platform. Your commendation of their support for their product lends a lot of credence that the people running the show are competent, which leads to positive word of mouth and strong sales. I'm sure many are weary of poor port jobs. It's a key reason why Dragon's Dogma did as well as it did; I know I wouldn't have bought it if it was a shoddy version.

Luckily, this continues to show the untapped potential of the PC platform for Japanese developers and publishers and I'm glad more are hopping on board. If Sega, Capcom, Arcsys, et al. bring over more of their IPs, that would be a great satisfaction.

Except for Tales of Symphonia. Never pull a Tales of Symphonia.

poodpick

ds3steamcontrollero4so1.png

steamcontrollerbundle6asez.png

Anyone else seeing this? Can anyone from outside Canada chime in?

Link leads back to the homepage.

zkylon

zkylewd
Oh yeah, I meant both have some aesthetics, armor and weapon fetish in common. The little bit of Berserk I saw is in its sum different from DS albeit.
I remember even reading that devs talked about taking inspiration for Artorias DLC. I might be off though, it has been a while.
On that, it's weird there are not many Berserk games. Such a long series ought to be popular.
i should go back to reading berserk but i kind of lost interest after the anime stuff, that part is some of the best anime ever but what comes next just doesn't feel as compelling, it's just hard not seeing griffith every episode

Oh man, such a unique and haunting place. Loved it. And by love I mean I sprung up in pure horror every time the tentacle witch popped up.
Shrine of Storms though :eek:

Hard to argue. Incredible atmosphere.

4-2 was pretty good too in terms of abiance, specially the boss arena but FromSoft is yet to make something that surpasses Latria (although Valley of Defilement 5-3 comes close)

Multiple brofists.

zkylon

zkylewd
i think all the X-1s in demons are some of the best level designs ever

and yea 3-1 is so damn good, and it's huge too

Tellaerin

Fuck those. The only person that should be doing a Dark Souls comic is our gaffer Raging Spaniard.

Sorry, I should've replied to this earlier. Those are really good - very atmospheric. Would love to see how they'd look with some washes. Doesn't Spaniard work as an artist for a mobile app dev? I'm trying to remember now.

illusionary

Did this a few days ago, works like a charm. Just follow the instructions here regarding steam. This also contains others tips for first time ssd users that I followed as well.

Following up on this... it's actually even easier than I thought. Steam *does* in fact support multiple library locations, they just need to be set up first in the settings menus. Once done, there's a drop-down allowing the selection between install locations when installing games.

That aside, I'll still keep Steam Mover in mind for if I need to move any games around - so thanks again!

Hektor

i think all the X-1s in demons are some of the best level designs ever

and yea 3-1 is so damn good, and it's huge too

You know, that is one of the main reasons i prefer Dark over Demon Souls.

People always talking about 3-1, 2-2, 2-4, 3:4*7².

That structure is so inherent videogamey. Not that there is anything bad about a videogame beeing videogamey in per se, but the authentic, connected approach of Dark Souls is just so much more subtle.

Jawmuncher

That structure is so inherent videogamey. Not that there is anything bad about a videogame beeing videogamey in per se, but the authentic, connected approach of Dark Souls is just so much more subtle.

I like the idea of levels for Souls. Since reallt that's all Dark is still but connected. However since you basically still have to play the game out of order from the levels anyway in demons (unless you're real pro) the dark formula does work better.

Feels better to explore and go "I'm in the wrong place" than to load a level and say the same thing.

Arthea

Another Nep port already? The people doing those sure are good, they have put out 6 games since Jan 2015.

This port as previous one is not Nep
And Nep is only 3 mainline games, I'm not sure what throwing those number around even does. 3 games only, other are spinoffs, smaller games.

unrelated edit: can somebody kindly tell me what's going on with gaf? Because it's only site that works or rather doesn't work in strange ways for me.

Eila

This port as previous one is not Nep
And Nep is only 3 mainline games, I'm not sure what throwing those number around even does. 3 games only, other are spinoffs, smaller games.

unrelated edit: can somebody kindly tell me what's going on with gaf? Because it's only site that works or rather doesn't work in strange ways for me.

Well, I was talking about IFI the company, not Neptunia the series. One of those games is definitely not like the others (Amnesia the VN).
Still, in just a little over 14 months they have put out 6 games, and still license their games for others to port as well (Ghostlight). I sure wish some other japanese companies were so efficient.

Arthea

Games are games, and I know my games.

It makes no difference to you is it DIno Crisis or Dino Crisis the Adventure game, or card game, or Musou game with no Regina in it? At least not in any important role. really?
I don't see The Witcher Adventure game being counted with The Witcher games for example, haven't seen even once.

DasFool

I agree that a lot of Dark Souls's charm comes from the subversion of Demon's Souls's linear level structure and the discovery of shortcuts between areas. They are placed just often enough to entice the player to explore even further and crack the world wide open. I remember being in absolute awe opening the door at the bottom of Darkroot Basin and realizing where I had ended up.

However, the area design and connectivity after acquiring the Lordvessel take a substantial dip in quality. All of your pathways become straight lines, with zero room for exploration. The consistency spreads all over the place, whereas Demon's Souls's levels are all likable and unique. Not to mention, Demon's Souls has a much brisker pace and doesn't really waste the player's time. As great as Ornstein and Smough are, I don't think anyone here appreciates the five minute sprint to them.

Jawmuncher

It makes no difference to you is it DIno Crisis or Dino Crisis the Adventure game, or card game, or Musou game with no Regina in it? At least not in any important role. really?
I don't see The Witcher Adventure game being counted with The Witcher games for example, haven't seen even once.

No one is counting them as the main series. I don't count Dino Crisis Mobile as a main title. But I count it for overall titles in the series.

Doesn't need to be canon to count for a series overall total of games. So for Neptunia yeah there's 3 main games but there's 12 total titles they've been in (with more if you wanted random cross overs Where they have smaller roles)

MUnited83

For you.
I agree that a lot of Dark Souls's charm comes from the subversion of Demon's Souls's linear level structure and the discovery of shortcuts between areas. They are placed just often enough to entice the player to explore even further and crack the world wide open. I remember being in absolute awe opening the door at the bottom of Darkroot Basin and realizing where I had ended up.

However, the area design and connectivity after acquiring the Lordvessel take a substantial dip in quality. All of your pathways become straight lines, with zero room for exploration. The consistency spreads all over the place, whereas Demon's Souls's levels are all likable and unique. Not to mention, Demon's Souls has a much brisker pace and doesn't really waste the player's time. As great as Ornstein and Smough are, I don't think anyone here appreciates the five minute sprint to them.
Hey now, you can get to O&S in like two minutes*
by using a shortcut that wasn't planned or designed by the devs, that is

Arthea

Well, I was talking about IFI the company, not Neptunia the series. One of those games is definitely not like the others (Amnesia the VN).
Still, in just a little over 14 months they have put out 6 games, and still license their games for others to port as well (Ghostlight). I sure wish some other japanese companies were so efficient.

well, you said another Nep port *shrugs*
IF is just really good at porting for some reason, not only that, they post release support is nothing short of awesome too.
Talking about some reason, the reason could be that they are improving in general quite a bit over the years.

No one is counting them as the main series. I don't count Dino Crisis Mobile as a main title. But I count it for overall titles in the series.

Doesn't need to be canon to count for a series overall total of games. So for Neptunia yeah there's 3 main games but there's 12 total titles they've been in (with more if you wanted random cross overs Where they have smaller roles)

the reason why I started this talk, I skimmed through some pages back and it was Nep mentioned several times, when as I said it's not a Nep game.
I don't say they didn't release much more games than Nep.

zkylon

zkylewd

i agree, but i like them both

guys, why is gaming inaccessible? or is it only on ff too?

lol feels like u've been stuck in a nightmarish loop of broken htmls ann stuff

Arthea

lol feels like u've been stuck in a nightmarish loop of broken htmls ann stuff

but it's only gaf, that's why it is so baffling. I tried pretty much everything by this point, on one PC gaf doesn't load at all anymore (on one I couldn't access my subs), on another it does, but no gaming. It's nightmare I tell you.

donny2112

Star Wars giveaway from the last Humble Bundle. Enjoy!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 8 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (donny2112, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Star Wars Jedi Knight Dark Forces II -- MB-AF0B61B0A6C0F8C7 - Taken by Cth. 2 entrants total.
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic -- MB-3F742E0E459345BB - Taken by Stall19. 7 entrants total.
Star Wars Battlefront II -- MB-29A9204A843CD425 - Taken by Last Baron. 7 entrants total.
Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds Saga -- MB-1CC9BC5CB201A3B6 - Taken by OmarYusaf. 7 entrants total.
Star Wars Dark Forces -- MB-C4CA56A0930F0F92 - Taken by dot. 2 entrants total.
Star Wars X Wing vs TIE Fighter Balance of Power Campaigns -- MB-B82B73EB452ACE5D - Taken by KainXVIII. 4 entrants total.
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II The Sith Lords -- MB-0CFF2BF62EBB9547 - Taken by I am Error. 13 entrants total.
Star Wars Rebellion -- MB-0F2989D380A4C76F - Taken by bobnowhere. 3 entrants total.

t1460239039z1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom