• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enco

Does increasing the FPS in Killler is Dead ruin the QTEs?

Reviving is pretty much impossible and it's enough reason to drop the game to be honest.

Tizoc

Does increasing the FPS in Killler is Dead ruin the QTEs?

Reviving is pretty much impossible and it's enough reason to drop the game to be honest.

There's a fix for the reviving thing if you change the FPS to 60 or even 120 FPS :p
Check all the guides in the game's Steam Guide page.
Which chapter are you at? What did you think of the cutscenes of
the moon mansion level?

Enco

Check the OT. You have to modify a config file to make them work with 60FPS.

There's a fix for the reviving thing if you change the FPS to 60 or even 120 FPS :p
Check all the guides in the game's Steam Guide page.
Which chapter are you at? What did you think of the cutscenes of
the moon mansion level?
Thanks. Fixed it. I'm on mission 4.

The boss is really pissing me off though because all the button mashing is hurting my wrist. Horrible game design.

I'm loving the cutscenes lol. Best part of the game.

edit: Can I disable or make all mashing easy? Not gonna bother if the rest of the game is like this. Although the art is nice and story seems fun, I value my wrists and blood pressure above it

pahamrick

I've been really enjoying Yaiba, but for some reason the game keeps crashing half-way through the final boss fight and it's starting to sap my will to keep trying.

Verifying integrity of the files right now, just in case, but I don't think that's causing the issue.

edit: Can I disable or make all mashing easy? Not gonna bother if the rest of the game is like this. Although the art is nice and story seems fun, I value my wrists and blood pressure above it

Really? I haven't had any problems with the mashing.
Aside from that boss there's one other instance of mashing (MASSIVE SPOILERS)
at the end of the game

Dr Dogg

I give up on Dungeon Siege 3, the controls are fucked. Giving me WASD to move and then tieing AD to rotating the camera is beyond stupid.

I'd recommend using an xbox controller.

Yeah I second this, using a controller. Whilst the first 2 Dungeon Siege games were more focused as a ARPG with kb&m controls 3 works a lot better as a hack and slash and with a controler. It's way more fluid to switch styles, even mid fight (and especially with slow arsed, short ranged Lucas) using a controller than doing the finger shuffle on a keyboard.

So, yesterday evening I discovered Steam limits product activations to 25/hour or so (I love you Bundle Stars). It then gives a message that you have too many botched activation attempts and to try again later. . I have a few extra keys I'll be giving away this weekend after I figure out how modbot works.

Enco

Really? I haven't had any problems with the mashing.
Aside from that boss there's one other instance of mashing (MASSIVE SPOILERS)
at the end of the game
It's really annoying. The combat seems button mashy enough and then you have the revivals and annoying boss fights.

Had to stop because of aching lol.

So there's no other instance of button mashing other than the revival? If so I'll give it another shot later.

Tizoc

Thanks. Fixed it. I'm on mission 4.

The boss is really pissing me off though because all the button mashing is hurting my wrist. Horrible game design.

I'm loving the cutscenes lol. Best part of the game.

You mean mashing for the revive mechanic? You can't disable it, but technically to not get it, don't die ;)
The trick to properly beating bosses in the game, or most at least, is to learn to dodge counter. It is the most effective ability in the game on Normal.

The game's combat design is simple: Utilize mashing the attack button to strengthen your attacks and deal more damage as it increases in level.
it's part of why I like it, cuz hey it's not every game that makes mashing the attack button fun to me :p

EDIT: Saw your recent post, in my recent playthrough I only got the Revive maybe 3ish times, but in majority of boss fights, I utlized dodging and countering to beat them easily.

Enco

You mean mashing for the revive mechanic? You can't disable it, but technically to not get it, don't die ;)
The trick to properly beating bosses in the game, or most at least, is to learn to dodge counter. It is the most effective ability in the game on Normal.

The game's combat design is simple: Utilize mashing the attack button to strengthen your attacks and deal more damage as it increases in level.
it's part of why I like it, cuz hey it's not every game that makes mashing the attack button fun to me :p

EDIT: Saw your recent post, in my recent playthrough I only got the Revive maybe 3ish times, but in majority of boss fights, I utlized dodging and countering to beat them easily.
So the mashing isn't too serious later in the game apart from revive?

maneil99

Cobi Treasure Deluxe #2 -- ANRAD-RKGPK-CNAR2
Humanity Asset -- PIHMZ-X9G3Q-3IBER
Soulbringer #2 -- CTT6M-H2P5F-0DG77
Hostile Waters: Antaeus Rising -- M7762-WLITB-G9NV8
Still left

Dr Dogg

I've sent an e-mail to Deep Silver (its German office in particular seeing as that's where the company is headquartered) asking if it would be possible to obtain a Steam key for Sacred 2: Fallen Angel if I were to purchase the game elsewhere. Fingers crossed, but I'm not expecting to be humoured.

You know what they're going to say don't you? "We're sorry no but you can purchase Sacred 2 Gold from Steam right now!" but hey if you don't ask you don't get so good luck.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
I've sent an e-mail to Deep Silver (its German office in particular seeing as that's where the company is headquartered) asking if it would be possible to obtain a Steam key for Sacred 2: Fallen Angel if I were to purchase the game elsewhere. Fingers crossed, but I'm not expecting to be humoured.

Has any of these publishers actually helped you with such requests? I remember that you've been doing this pretty regularly so I wonder if you had any success at all

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
You know what they're going to say don't you? "We're sorry no but you can purchase Sacred 2 Gold from Steam right now!" but hey if you don't ask you don't get so good luck.

Even if Deep Silver knocks me back, there's Koch Media itself. Sure, the answer will all but assuredly be the same, but two chances are better than one.

Edit: I actually noted in the e-mail that I already own all of the other Sacred games, haha.

Has any of these publishers actually helped you with such requests? I remember that you've been doing this pretty regularly so I wonder if you had any success at all

Exor Studios and Longbow Games provided me with Steam keys for the original Zombie Driver + its DLC and Hegemony: Philip of Macedon, respectively. Both did so without asking anything in return, so I intend to buy Exor's next game once it's available (whatever it is) while I bought Hegemony: The Rise of Caesar (Longbow's latest) earlier in the year, following the key request.

:S I think I'll do Walking Dead S.2 before Anachronox :D

I remember playing through Anachronox with no issues at all. I don't know it will do on a modern system. Where as Walking Dead season one, I couldn't get through an episode without the save getting corrupted and randomizing my previous choices.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

The CD-key should work if you buy it off Amazon. It did when I got it that way.

Yrael

Cobi Treasure Deluxe #2 -- ANRAD-RKGPK-CNAR2
Humanity Asset #2 -- CHMNV-6B5GE-T9CAT
Humanity Asset -- PIHMZ-X9G3Q-3IBER
Soulbringer #2 -- CTT6M-H2P5F-0DG77
Hostile Waters: Antaeus Rising -- M7762-WLITB-G9NV8
Desert Thunder -- 62LXE-X6K0K-6QGPM
Marine Sharpshooter II #2 -- FVN5V-6F7L5-ICVTK
Still left

Thanks for Humanity Asset (I took the top one).

Jawmuncher

to the people wondering what's up with Stomping Land: http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2014/08/05/relax-steams-big-dinosaur-game-isnt-dead (if this is true that is, and not made up)

Good to know. I've been eyeing it since it has dinosaurs. But haven't grabbed it yet since its EA. Hopefully he's farther along and can make the 2015 release.

I give up on Dungeon Siege 3, the controls are fucked. Giving me WASD to move and then tieing AD to rotating the camera is beyond stupid.

can't wait to see how many people entered this

I played it ages ago on PS3 and you aren't missing much. Game was just a pretty poor dungeon crawler. All it did was remind me how much I miss Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance. Which were great games that just get a bad rap from BG fans for having the name on them.

---------

Tex Murphy Tesla effect is 7.99 on GOG. Any reason I should hold out for the steam version over this?

Tizoc

So the mashing isn't too serious later in the game apart from revive?

Hmm, this is a little tricky to explain.
Let me try to make it as easy as I can ^^;

The fix for the revive mechanic will not require a lot of presses since it'll fill up fast and normally everytime you do it (I only ever had 1 instance when it glitched out on me though but it hasn't happened again).

You should utilize the dodge counter in (ground based) boss fights, so you may end up using it a lot, which means you'll be mashing the attack button every 5-10 seconds if you land it a lot of times, at least for maximum damage from the dodge counter.

Enco

Hmm, this is a little tricky to explain.
Let me try to make it as easy as I can ^^;

The fix for the revive mechanic will not require a lot of presses since it'll fill up fast and normally everytime you do it (I only ever had 1 instance when it glitched out on me though but it hasn't happened again).

You should utilize the dodge counter in (ground based) boss fights, so you may end up using it a lot, which means you'll be mashing the attack button every 5-10 seconds if you land it a lot of times, at least for maximum damage from the dodge counter.
I get you.

I mean things like (mission 4)
Where David and you cross swords and you have to mash to push him away
. Things that you have to mash through at a certain speed to progress.

Kiru

:3 thanks for the info Knurek. I'm thinking of saving up to buy another graphic card to do SLI (maybe at the end of the year.)
I would just invest in a powerful single card if I were you. SLI doesn't work as good as you might think with some games.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Bump for the US east coast morning crowd.

Games on the PC have taken a interesting if not odd approach to niche genres. While console's have seen a proliferation of exclusives in the expected genres, PC's have seen a flurry of games that can best be described as simulating the mundanity of life. "Warehouse & Logistics Simulator" or "Airport Simulator" do not seem like candidates for actual games, yet these two exist among other types of "Simulators".

For Railfans, or someone interested in finding out what the attraction is, there are also a few stand alone versions of the Trainz series available. I'm not as familiar with the series, but reviews seem to indicate they are a decent introduction into the genre.

All of the keys should be unused. If they are not, I do apologize, Steam does not offer a easy way to validate them.

ModBot said:
Instructions for everyone:
I am giving away 11 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Casimir, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Agricultural Simulator: Historical Farming -- MB-C40CE28BD2B8CD66 - Taken by Gurrry. 2 entrants total.
Woodcutter Simulator 2013 Gold Edition -- MB-166DA1ACE3340B33 - Taken by Baron_Calamity. 5 entrants total.

Trainz: Murchison 2 -- MB-08B74B663C0A1694 - Taken by crazyrabbits. 3 entrants total.
Trainz: Classic Cabon City -- MB-0F654AF20C92A073 - Taken by xeris. 3 entrants total.
Trainz: Settle & Carlisle -- MB-C9198499E44EDE26 - Taken by tylergregg. 1 entrants total.

t1407293743z1.png

*You would think that upon seeing the collection for purchase, I bought the set to satisfy my personal curiosity. Only later in a drunken state, having forgotten my previous purchase, bought the set a second time. I want to say that there is no evidence of this occurrence that any of you can prove.

pahamrick

Woo. Finally finished Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z (On Normal).

Here's what I posted a bit ago, after the first two stages.

header_292x136.jpg

Okay, so here's some early impressions on Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z before I have to leave for the next couple hours. Keep in mind that I'm no reviewer, and commenting on games pros and cons are not my strong suit at all and I'm only up through the first couple of stages.

Frost compared Yaiba to a Musou game + the humor of Borderlands. I'd say that's fairly accurate, actually. Yaiba is a game that doesn't take itself seriously at all, and that's a good thing. I, like many others here, saw how Yaiba was reviewed and many folks online cautioned to avoid this game. The types of comments and reviews I've seen are things I'd save for a game that is broken, that is such an unpleasant mess to play that it's not worth the time or effort.

And let me tell you folks, that is some grade A bullshit. The controls for this game are so fluid that I would put it right up there with Metal Gear Rising in terms of responsiveness. Things just flow so smoothly together that it's a joy to play, it really is. It also comes across as brutally unforgiving. The bit about comparing it to Musou? That ain't a joke. At any given time you could be fighting 10-15+ enemies at once, with a combat system that any Ninja Gaiden Black fan would appreciate. Not to mention, even up through the second stage you'll be fighting those regular hordes of enemies with multiples of enemies that could be classified as mini-bosses. That block button will be your best friend.

I can understand of the humor and style of the game isn't for everyone and thats okay. Don't completely write it off for that though, give it a chance and you just might find that it really is a solid action game.

I'll post some more detailed impressions at a later date, possibly once I've cleared the campaign.

Oh, and to quote Frost: You might want to start on normal. Just sayin`.

I still agree with what I wrote there. The game is a blast to play, and the controls are super fluid. I never felt like I was dying because of the controls. The camera and I didn't get along too well at first, but I got used to it and it stopped posing an issue after awhile.

I do have some issues.

1) The timed jumping / platforming sequences were sometimes annoying and really seemed to take you out of the action. They do look cool if you pull off the entire sequence without dying, though.

2) The QTE everytime you killed an enemy that would give you a temporary weapon. It got old after awhile, to the point where I'd only bother if I needed it for a boss fight or to destroy part of the environment for a collectible.

Definitely a game worth checking out if you're an action fan, I'd give it a 8/10 personally. The Ninja Gaiden Z mode thats unlocked once you beat the game is amazing.

Gonna sneak this in here, too so its part of an on-topic post.
clFrYbU.jpg

Not as nifty as the 1/2/3K milestones, but hey! I already know what game I want for 500, so I guess I need to not immediately redeem any bundles or steam games right away until I get it.

Jawmuncher

WTH steam changed my name to Jawmuncherc for some reason. Didn't even notice until Frost pointed it out. First I though I perhaps had somehow done it. But looking at my previous alias only Jawmuncherc was there as if I had played if that forever. I'm pretty sure I would have noticed a c sometime during the last year.

---------

The impressions on Yaiba sound great ill definitely be grabbing it once its on sale. Really is reminding me of splatterhouse on PS3/360. If that ever came to PC that would be a game people need to play if their fans of action games

--------

Realized I already had it

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

Just Take It

Froze Hearth -- MB-E3E03E77B37D36D5 - Taken by Fox318

Tizoc

I get you.

I mean things like (mission 4)
Where David and you cross swords and you have to mash to push him away
. Things that you have to mash through at a certain speed to progress.

Ah that? Far as I can remember such a thing
only ever occurs again during the final boss fight(s). All other boss fights don't have it from what I remember

Milamber

WTH steam changed my name to Jawmuncherc for some reason. Didn't even notice until Frost pointed it out. First I though I perhaps had somehow done it. But looking at my previous alias only Jawmuncherc was there as if I had played if that forever. I'm pretty sure I would have noticed a c sometime during the last year.

You're still Jawmuncherc on my screen.

EDIT: You have always been Jawmuncherc to me. Were you Jawmunherc before?

But your GAF username is Jawmuncherc

GGF8u9m.png

Man, that Amazon UK/ES listing of the Master Chief Collection for PC really got my hopes up for a second. I'd really like to play through the games to see what the fuss is all about, but I'm not going to buy an Xbox One. I'm sure I'm not the only one in this situation and MS needs to understand that.

Lain

This is for episode 1 of World End Economica, a pretty decent visual novel.

Your giveaway made me go search if they had ever sent the keys to the kickstarter backer for the other 2 episodes since I still hadn't received mine and found out they did, so now I can finally check it out.

Arthea

gaf wasn't loading for me all this morning, I see no talk about it, so I assume problem was on my end, strange, everything worked but gaf.

I started planning the banner saga last night after a couple of dota 2 matches.

I have super mixed feelings about this game.

Is there a way to see the movement spaces of your enemies before you move your own character?
I keep wasting turns with archers by not getting them into position quickly enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom