• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.

aku:jiki

What the hell are all of you talking about? Did any of you actually even play Mutant Mudds? The game plays and looks excellent. If you think pixel graphics like that are average for indie games, I'd like to point out that your average indie looks more like this:

ss_936852aaaf261a171a2ae2b55d8e0b7972cdf56e.600x338.jpg

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
What the hell are all of you talking about? Did any of you actually even play Mutant Mudds? The game plays and looks excellent. If you think pixel graphics like that are average for indie games, I'd like to point out that your average indie looks more like this:

Yeah I tried it when it was free on Ipad and was able to stomach about 1 level with the touch controls. And yeah I thought the visuals were ugly.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Mutant Mudds is awesome, what are you guys on about? It felt fresh and unique with the background / foreground gameplay mixed with the 3D-effect too

edit: oh, you've played iPad version? well gee no wonder, who would've thought a 2D platformer would suck with touch controls?

Hugstable

Banned
Lame, created a FFXIV free trial account to be able to play with everyone thinking the only restriction would be that you can't go past level 20, but they won't even allow me to send tells or join up with a friend. :( They let you add friends to the list but you can't even talk to them unless you are right next to them and type in General Chat. Oh well wanna find out what everyone else is gonna do, I might just jump in and get the game if others are down since it comes with a free month. Goddamit why am I even thinking about MMO's XD

Steamworld Dig actually being a pretty great game, and their developers seem to be good people :)

Yeah I've actually really enjoyed what I've played of Steamworld Dig. Not sure how big the game is, but I've gotten pretty deep into the digging and find the game really enjoyable.

Got the MSI TwinFrozer version for 550 PLN. About $175 (PC components are seriously more expensive in Europe than in US, so you should be able to get one for $150 if not lower in States).
How does it fare at 1080p/60fps? Good settings possible and how long do you think it'll be passable?
I planned on x70 series. But if x50/x60 is good for 1080p/60fps at good settings, it would save a lot.

Andrefpvs

I didn't see anyone respond to this, so if they did sorry for repeating info, but from what I recall playing this game on Kongregate, you get that achievement for clicking the first female protagonist's breasts a certain number of times - they bounce when you click them. So I'd say it's an accurate label.

Ahah, thanks! That's... interesting.

StAidan

9mPMVTq.png

Hero of the Kingdom became my 18th perfect game this morning. (Not that the achievements were all that challenging, you can get most of them during the normal course of the game and the rest just take a smidgen of grinding.)

I found it to be pretty enjoyable. It's a relaxing "adventure" game that's part P&C, part hidden object, and part resource management. Very simple and somewhat linear (although sidequests can break up the main storyline), I wasn't expecting much from the game based on the first few minutes -- I guess it's supposed to be kind of a tutorial, but the lack of options in the beginning caused me to fear that the whole game would be that way.

In any case, it's worth a play IMO. I picked it up in a bundle at some point, I'm pretty sure.

Hmm, I am tempted to unlock some achievements in SAM for playfire rewards. Only ones that can be achieved fast and easily the normal way. Can I be caught or is it a go?

Turfster

In any case, it's worth a play IMO. I picked it up in a bundle at some point, I'm pretty sure.

I enjoyed my time with Hero of the Kingdom, mostly,
until I managed to dead-end myself with the resource management and didn't feel like grinding over and over again.
Still, it was fun enough while I was still going somewhere ;)

Only way you can be sure is by making a giveaway.

What are you talking about, I did!

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Hmm, I am tempted to unlock some achievements in SAM for playfire rewards. Only ones that can be achieved fast and easily the normal way. Can I be caught or is it a go?

It's very much frowned upon here. If you unlock a bunch of achievements at the same time, or if you unlock ones from later in a game before the others you should have done, or if you announce that you're going to do it on a message board that people who work for Playfire post in, then there's a chance you'll be caught.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Judging non-tappy game genres based on their touch version...

annfyiA.gif

Well seeing as how my original thesis dealt exclusively with the appearance of the game and it's marketability, I don't see any real issues. i didn't even have to play the game to make my point to be honest.

Here it is:

"You released your game 8 months later on Steam with zero hype or interest because all you did was cry about how hard Greenlight was for you (shocker, your game doesn't really stand out in a lineup) and the game itself has one of the ugliest color palettes I have ever seen. No shit it isn't going to make you rich."

But feel free to continue defending the game's honor because we attacked it without really trying despite that being the whole point of the discussion.

HoosTrax

Codemasters Sale at GetGamesGo, everything 75% off:
  • Damnation
  • Dirt 3
  • F1 2010
  • F1 2011
  • F1 2012
  • F1 2013
  • F1 2013 Classic
  • F1 Race Stars
  • Fuel (No longer on the Steam storefront)
  • Grid
  • Grid 2
  • Hospital Tycoon
  • Maelstrom
  • Flashpoint: Dragon Rising
  • Flashpoint: Red River
  • Overlord
  • Overlord 2
  • Overlord Raising Hell
  • Rise of the Argonauts
Thanks. Considering picking up F1 '12 and '13 (the two older versions don't have cheevos as far as I know). Not a huge fan of F1 tbh, but I have the rest of them other than Autosport, and I don't think I'll pick that one up until Codies until their DLC madness out of their system.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Not gonna lie, I use SAM for the rewards when it's "first time you play" due to having a very low monthly data cap. Not for the achievement stuff though.

Idling is fine. It's achievement unlocking that's frowned upon.

Tizoc

Lara Croft 2's CE is a game + Season Pass bundle:

Also, Season Pass confirmed.

Well the previous game had DLC too like a weak-ass skins to play as Raziel and Kain, so this having DLC shouldn't surprise me.
What I hope they would do is that Collector's Edition also gives you the previous game as abonus.

Beelzebubs

Sort of related to the Mudd discussion due to profits from Steam, but have any devs made any mention of people using keys to buy from Russia? It really does seem like it'd impact a lot of the smaller devs. I'm a bit hypocritical as it's how I purchased Divinity.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Well the previous game had DLC too like a weak-ass skins to play as Raziel and Kain, so this having DLC shouldn't surprise me.
What I hope they would do is that Collector's Edition also gives you the previous game as abonus.

If the original game is to be an incentive I think it'll be a general pre-order one rather than something limited to the CE alone.

Sort of related to the Mudd discussion due to profits from Steam, but have any devs made any mention of people using keys to buy from Russia? It really does seem like it'd impact a lot of the smaller devs. I'm a bit hypocritical as it's how I purchased Divinity.

Not to my knowledge, but Eastern European sales accounted for just 7% of Steam's overall sales throughout 2013.

Steam_regional.jpg

It's very much frowned upon here. If you unlock a bunch of achievements at the same time, or if you unlock ones from later in a game before the others you should have done, or if you announce that you're going to do it on a message board that people who work for Playfire post in, then there's a chance you'll be caught.
Ah, thought so. Never did it anyway. Thanks.

If the original game is to be an incentive I think it'll be a general pre-order one rather than something limited to the CE alone.

Not to my knowledge, but Eastern European sales accounted for just 7% of Steam's overall sales throughout 2013.

Steam_regional.jpg

Is other you? :p

aku:jiki

But feel free to continue defending the game's honor because we attacked it without really trying despite that being the whole point of the discussion.
Why are you trying so hard to defend your own honor over a petty, ignorant and pointless post? You didn't have an actual point to make, you just randomly wanted to shit on a developer of an indie game you irrationally hate. What exactly is the point of that supposed to be? I thought we were adults in here.

And, for the record, I was more annoyed by the 20 people who wanted to ride the hate train and post like "Yeah, I've never played it but I KNEW IT SUCKED LOL". It's like I was in kindergarten all of a sudden.

For all of the Mutant Mudds talk I might pick it up the next time I see it on sale or I have a weekend free.
It's a great game with a nice retro concept of having different levels be different gaming systems. The main levels are Amiga, then there are GameBoy, Virtual Boy and CGA graphics levels.

GKB

Thanks. Considering picking up F1 '12 and '13 (the two older versions don't have cheevos as far as I know). Not a huge fan of F1 tbh, but I have the rest of them other than Autosport, and I don't think I'll pick that one up until Codies until their DLC madness out of their system.

You can get F1 2012 for 3 TF2 keys, around 2.5USD cheaper :D

Unfortunately the 2013 version is locked.

Beelzebubs

Steam_regional.jpg

Was just curious as I'd never heard of people using keys to buy games from Steam until I started living in this thread. Wonder what the impact would be if the idea of buying games from Russia with keys became more popular? I'm assuming Steam would step in swiftly with region restrictions.

Just intrigued as when/if I release a game, I wouldn't want to lose out on potential revenue as an indie developer who wouldn't make much money anyway. Again, I'm a hypocrite on the matter.

Ok, so last night I finished Transistor.

It was an ok game. I found the combat quite fun and much more complex than the one in Bastion. However, there is some level of redundancy on the combinations between power-ups. Nevertheless, I think the fact that an attack can be overcharged in a battle compensates this problem: not only you have to try new different combinations but there is also a need to design a set of attacks versatile enough to not depend on only one during battles.

Again, the art design and the soundtrack are sublime. However, I think both are slightly behind Bastion. Sure, there are memorable songs (the ones with Ashley Barret and Forecast) but not at the same level of "Build a wall" or "Setting sail coming home".

The main issue I have with the game is the story. I guess they were trying to make it as vague as possible but damn, it's kind of frustrating to not understand what's going on and why I'm doing what I'm doing. And those bosses... what the hell.
Although the boss battlers were fun

Link Man

Banned
And now I feel foolish. I sent the wrong subject line to ModBot.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Link Man, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Ballpoint Universe -- MB-0F0DB7BD538B2454 - Taken by DontBlink

Already had the game from another bundle, this is an extra from the Build a Be Mine bundle on Groupees. Though I can't imagine many here have passed on that bundle.

Deitus

Lame, created a FFXIV free trial account to be able to play with everyone thinking the only restriction would be that you can't go past level 20, but they won't even allow me to send tells or join up with a friend. :( They let you add friends to the list but you can't even talk to them unless you are right next to them and type in General Chat. Oh well wanna find out what everyone else is gonna do, I might just jump in and get the game if others are down since it comes with a free month.

What? I knew certain things were restricted in the trial, but you can't even send tells? That's awful.

I finally created my character and went through the tutorial, so I'll be ready to play with you guys later on, but from the sound of it, it's going to be hard to coordinate.

Goddamit why am I even thinking about MMO's XD

I know the feeling. I know it's a bad idea, but I can't resist.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Why are you trying so hard to defend your own honor over a petty, ignorant and pointless post? You didn't have an actual point to make, you just randomly wanted to shit on a developer of an indie game you irrationally hate. What exactly is the point of that supposed to be? I thought we were adults in here.

And, for the record, I was more annoyed by the 20 people who wanted to ride the hate train and post like "Yeah, I've never played it but I KNEW IT SUCKED LOL". It's like I was in kindergarten all of a sudden.

It's a great game with a nice retro concept of having different levels be different gaming systems. The main levels are Amiga, then there are GameBoy, Virtual Boy and CGA graphics levels.
my point was that devs still expect steam copies to sell with little to no effort put in by them and then whine about it on twitter despite their the reasons for their lack of sales being incredibly obvious. Next time I'll run my points by you first though to make sure they aren't ignorant petty and pointless.

Tizoc

My thoughts too heh (sorry feeling really exhausted, heavy and tired today =_= )

At work right now so I can't access seem but if someone could help me with a little something: What's the cheapest Zen Pinball 2 has been?

Wanna get it for the Deadpool board :p

Volimar

Idling is fine. It's achievement unlocking that's frowned upon.

In essence, people don't care if you use SAM to make money idling for cards, but if you use it for completely arbitrary achievement scores, it crosses a line.

:p

hail idlemaster

I don't give a rat's ass about achievements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom