• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.
Warhammer 40K Space Marine is 75%, both the base game AND with the DLC included so I picked it up. Game is bloody incredible for a third person shooter/action game. It's one of the few games that gets the sensation of feeling like an all-powerfal tank on legs right. Movement is beefy feeling with an amazing feeling hover/ariel attack that makes you essentially effective on all types of terrain, the weaponry feels spot-on and satisfying, and the melee combat is fucking fantastic, and the sound design is brilliant. Can't recommend this game enough, it's totally taken me by surprise just how good this is.

Multiplayer is meant to be really bloody good too, so hopefully the sale revives the online play a little. Even has a horde mode like Killing Floor and Gears Of War.

bOMlMtT.jpg

Hugstable

Banned
I could get the DS from my cousin. He also has CC I think. I am not into grinding though.
Love the pixely look of DS games. A bit small for my hands but it's okay.
Will try out sometime. Thanks.

Play Chrono Trigger if you haven't before! It's one of my favorite games of all time and not grindy in anyway whatsoever. Everything about the game is so well done, and since you will be playing the DS version you will be good to go. But play this game as soon as you can, it's that good!

RE2 and RE3 actually have XP based versions in japan. Not to mention the previous 98 versions in NA. They would be about the same work as FF7 if capcom was going the cheap route.

Maybe REmake Remastered turns out successful enough on current gen consoles and PC that they consider remastering RE2. Who knows.

Knurek

I'd guess that QLOC is busy with REmake Remastered, so work probably won't begin in earnest (or at all) until that goes gold.

Imagine how large of a shitstorm would explode if REmake turns out to be just an official Dolphin build, HLEing the GameCube game.
Not gonna happen, I know, QLOC are good people

What did they do?

they started adding weapons regardless of balance and too fast
the first weapon they ever released was for the stealth class and was basically a free air shot weapon (in a game where air shots are one of the things requiring the most skill), it was completely and utterly OP and was nerfed a couple of days later

they kept doing this bait&switch bullshit until almost every regular left, leaving community servers empty and thus driving more people out, when hi-rez saw what they had done they just dropped support completely and moved on to smite

and it's a fucking shame because when tribes ascend was released up until the first weapon updates the game had a strong community with a regular influx of new players despite being not an accessible game, i had almost had as much fun on ascend than on vanilla TF2 and that's saying a lot

Grief.exe

RE2 and RE3 actually have XP based versions in japan. Not to mention the previous 98 versions in NA. They would be about the same work as FF7 if capcom was going the cheap route.

Hopefully the REmake rerelease drums up enough success that RE2 and 3 get the full REmake treatment down the line.

Dusk Golem was saying CV is probably next to be ported. Capcom already ported the game to their MT Framework engine, so the majority of the legwork, and cost, has already been completed.

Knurek

Dusk Golem was saying CV is probably next to be ported. Capcom already ported the game to their MT Framework engine, so the majority of the legwork, and cost, has already been completed.

OTOH, this is Capcom we're talking about.
Both Dragon's Dogma and Phoenix Wright 5 use MT Framework, and well.. no PC versions... :(

Jawmuncher

Hopefully the REmake rerelease drums up enough success that RE2 and 3 get the full REmake treatment down the line.

Wouldn't surprise me if PC lucks out and gets REmake and CVX around the same time. Just like how RE4 and CVX came out the same day on consoles.

Sajjaja

Warhammer 40K Space Marine is 75%, both the base game AND with the DLC included so I picked it up. Game is bloody incredible for a third person shooter/action game. It's one of the few games that gets the sensation of feeling like an all-powerfal tank on legs right. Movement is beefy feeling with an amazing feeling hover/ariel attack that makes you essentially effective on all types of terrain, the weaponry feels spot-on and satisfying, and the melee combat is fucking fantastic, and the sound design is brilliant. Can't recommend this game enough, it's totally taken me by surprise just how good this is.

Multiplayer is meant to be really bloody good too, so hopefully the sale revives the online play a little. Even has a horde mode like Killing Floor and Gears Of War.

bOMlMtT.jpg

Too bad the story was trash.

rtcn63

Space Marine's combat wasn't too great either. Better than RF Armageddon, but still not something I'd purchase the game solely for.

OTOH, this is Capcom we're talking about.
Both Dragon's Dogma and Phoenix Wright 5 use MT Framework, and well.. no PC versions... :(

I want Dragon's Dogma so bad Capcom, why did you not port it ;-; WHY WHY WHY

Spent around 100 hours with the PS3 version, but it really is a technical mess. Just imagining the game with good AA, steady 60 FPS, and so on is just.....ugh

Elija2

I just had the craziest game of 100% OJ ever. It was my turn and my home space was right in front of me. I finished my 5th Norma so I just needed to land on it to win the game. I decided before moving to use the card that does 2 damage to a random person because there was someone else with only 2 HP and I figured I might screw with them one last time. But then the card hits me and I get KO'd! I didn't know the card could hit me, too! And then that other person lands on a check space the next turn and wins the game! I was so close! Oh well, lesson learned.

they started adding weapons regardless of balance and too fast
the first weapon they ever released was for the stealth class and was basically a free air shot weapon (in a game where air shots are one of the things requiring the most skill), it was completely and utterly OP and was nerfed a couple of days later

they kept doing this bait&switch bullshit until almost every regular left, leaving community servers empty and thus driving more people out, when hi-rez saw what they had done they just dropped support completely and moved on to smite

and it's a fucking shame because when tribes ascend was released up until the first weapon updates the game had a strong community with a regular influx of new players despite being not an accessible game, i had almost had as much fun on ascend than on vanilla TF2 and that's saying a lot

I had a great amount of fun with Tribes Ascend. I actually paid for some starter pack or something when it came to steam. I haven't even played it since then, but felt they deserved the money as I had a good time with it so far. That sucks to hear, though. It did seem like weapons were being released a bit fast, and I certainly heard that they were OP. Does seem super bait and switch to constantly release OP weapons so people will buy them, just to balance them back down the next week.

Wok

Any game of your choice from the Steam Store -- MB-C0DF2B868EDF9B09 - Taken by Wok. 105 entrants total.

Congrats to Wok, and thanks again to Sub for the awesome giveaway.

There were 105 entrants and I won! Wow!

Wok met the MEGAGIVERS rule by the skin of his teeth, haha -- 26 versus the requirement of 25.

If you want detailed information about which games you've given away and to whom, please send a PM to ModBot with the subject my full loot.

You have given away 108 games. (26 eligible for 'givers only' rules.)

There are more than 26 actually. The total is 108.

Only the games you've given away over the past 90 days count towards your eligibility. As the text you quoted says: "26 eligible for 'givers only' rules."

Yeah, I know. It hope Modbot is not turning into SteamGifts with all kinds of complex rules to determine who is the most entitled giver. I mean, what is this arbitrary 90 days count? How come previous giveaways are completely forgotten?

Hopefully these 26 games weren't all Gun Monkeys, Dino D-Day or Shuggy.

Well, if you ask, Shuggy is actually a good game. It is not because something is cheap that it is bad.

CD9mXLS.png

QDvNyWL.png

Apart from this remark, this is the list of games I have given away with Modbot: http://pastebin.com/GxrUTQ3C

Edit: Congrats Wok. Make it a good one.

Congrats Wok and thanks Sub Zero for the great giveaway. I hope he chooses wisely :p

You've gotta tell us what you choose, Wok

Choosing is hard, especially with so much attention. Actually, these are the games I am looking forward to play:
  • Tales from the Borderlands (which should be released this summer)
  • The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth (which benefits from a game engine without Adobe Flash)
  • The Witness (2014? 2015? Never?)
Other games I would like to try are of course:
  • Assassin's Creed: Unity because it takes place in Paris (the gameplay will be most likely boring though)
  • Grand Theft Auto V because it will look so good on PC (hopefully it runs more smoothly than GTA IV)
  • Divinity: Original Sin (I will wait for some Steam sales though, so a buddy of mine can buy the game as well and we play together)
However, I don't like the idea that whichever game I would choose, then everyone on Steam would be poking me if I am caught playing some other games, or I will feel as if.

I am enjoying Spelunky and Dota2 these days. I should be playing FTL again pretty soon.

04:13 PM - corrosivefrost: well, hopefully wok doesn't bankrupt you
04:13 PM - corrosivefrost: though with his Spelunky addiction, he might, since he's used to hauling tons of gold
04:13 PM - corrosivefrost: conversely, he's been trying to get that "low scorer" achievement lately
04:14 PM - corrosivefrost: so you could point out to him that maybe trying to get that achievement with you would give him better luck in the game

On spot.

ate chinese wok today

I have the power

should have eaten salsa

Ahah!

bOMlMtT.jpg

been wanting to get that for some time but i passed on it for now. Just gotta stay laser focused on my backlog. But yeah, i actually picked up some warhammer 40k ebooks when this game came out because it got me interested in the series.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Only the games you've given away over the past 90 days count towards your eligibility. As the text you quoted says: "26 eligible for 'givers only' rules."

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
People talking about idlemaster reminds me I have ideas to contribute and have been meaning to pick up some python skills. JShackles, if you see this, if you'd be willing to give me a crash course in what I need to have for testing development, I'd offer my services to improve idlemaster further -- I just know you have a major update coming, so I at least want to wait for that before I jump in.

Yeah I'm open to helping you set things up, and have a few changes in mind myself. Unfortunately I'm out of town at a work conference until Saturday and can't really do much until then.

Jawmuncher

I need to recover some data off a HDD. The thing is the OS went to crap and the HDD is fine. How can I do this? I'm guessing there's no simple way like just plugging it in with a cord and getting what I need off of it.

Turfster

I need to recover some data off a HDD. The thing is the OS went to crap and the HDD is fine. How can I do this? I'm guessing there's no simple way like just plugging it in with a cord and getting what I need off of it.

Boot from an ubuntu live cd if it's still in the system.
If it's not, hook it up either via SATA or with an USB breakout box.
(It has to be connected somehow ;)

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold

Well, if you ask, Shuggy is actually a good game. It is not because something is cheap that it is bad.

CD9mXLS.png

QDvNyWL.png

Apart from this remark, this is the list of games I have given away with Modbot: http://pastebin.com/GxrUTQ3C

Choosing is hard, especially with so much attention. Actually, these are the games I am looking forward to play:
  • The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth (which benefits from a game engine without Adobe Flash)
  • Assassin's Creed: Unity because it takes place in Paris (the gameplay will be most likely boring though)
  • Grand Theft Auto V because it will look so good on PC (hopefully it runs more smoothly than GTA IV)
  • Divinity: Original Sin (I will wait for some Steam sales though, so a buddy of mine can buy the game as well and we play together)
However, I don't like the idea that whichever game I would choose, then everyone on Steam would be poking me if I am caught playing some other games, or I will feel as if.

I am enjoying Spelunky and Dota2 these days. I should be playing FTL again pretty soon.

Ahah!

My remark about Shuggy was self mocking, didn't mean to offend you or anything. Anyway, PM me with the game you want and your Steam id, I don't think I have you as a friend

I had a great amount of fun with Tribes Ascend. I actually paid for some starter pack or something when it came to steam. I haven't even played it since then, but felt they deserved the money as I had a good time with it so far. That sucks to hear, though. It did seem like weapons were being released a bit fast, and I certainly heard that they were OP. Does seem super bait and switch to constantly release OP weapons so people will buy them, just to balance them back down the next week.

yeah it's really a waste, the game had as much value as 60$ games out there and a lot of people were personally fine with paying 20-30$ to unlock stuff right out of the bat (i did and almost everyone i know did too)
they just had to work with cosmetics or something akin to TF2 and they would have raked in the cash since Tribe's fanbase was very devoted (how many memes and comical youtube vids the game spawned ?) but nope, they went for the worst of the worst of monetization

louiedog

You can plug it in with a cord and get the data off of it. You just need to do it on a machine with a working OS. It can be another windows machine, the same machine with a linux distro booted off USB, or anything like that. The only thing you might run into is dealing with file permissions but you should be able to google for some help with that.

Actually that will probably work. Just make sure that when you plug it in that you go into your BIOS and make sure that it isn't set as the boot drive. You should be able to recover files off of it if it isn't too badly damaged. You can either trying using a SATA cable (if you have a spare and a spare slot in your computer) or get a USB hard drive dock. The dock should make it mountable. Do note that SATA will probably be the fastest for file transfers, so keep that in mind.

This is also another post where I recommend having an automatic off-site backup solution.

Jawmuncher

Actually that will probably work. Just make sure that when you plug it in that you go into your BIOS and make sure that it isn't set as the boot drive. You should be able to recover files off of it if it isn't too badly damaged. You can either trying using a SATA cable (if you have a spare and a spare slot in your computer) or get a USB hard drive dock. The dock should make it mountable. Do note that SATA will probably be the fastest for file transfers, so keep that in mind.

This is also another post where I recommend having an automatic off-site backup solution.

You can plug it in with a cord and get the data off of it. You just need to do it on a machine with a working OS. It can be another windows machine, the same machine with a linux distro booted off USB, or anything like that. The only thing you might run into is dealing with file permissions but you should be able to google for some help with that.

Boot from an ubuntu live cd if it's still in the system.
If it's not, hook it up either via SATA or with an USB breakout box.
(It has to be connected somehow ;)

Thanka for all the help guys. Going to try all of this out and tell you which works. Thankfully it's not my HDD.

Milamber

Bought Pure Pool on a whim and cause it's been a long time since I played billiards. The multiplayer in this game is both awesome and brutal. There are a few crashes here and there but it's easy to get back into a game.

Did I say how beautiful it looks?

Played a few holes got some trading cards and a foil...
...selling at $17! Marketplaced that sucker asap. Game paid for itself twice over.

A few thoughts -- JaseC covers it below, but only giveaways in the last 3 months count toward your "giver" status. In this case, you had 26 eligible games toward the requirement of 25. So you did indeed "just sneak by". :)

Please let us know what you choose. Remember, with great giveaway winnings come great responsibility.

As for Divinity:OS -- depending on how you like to play games like that, it can become very annoying to try to work out in co-op. Rhaknar and I put an hour or two in together and it just wasn't working for us... one of us would wander off, or would spend too much time figurin gout menus and such... and the other would be off checking something else out. When it worked well (such as in combat) it was a bunch of fun... but it's got too much exploration based gameplay to work for everyone in co-op.

Well, it depends. I'll steam chat you.

Yeah I'm open to helping you set things up, and have a few changes in mind myself. Unfortunately I'm out of town at a work conference until Saturday and can't really do much until then.

Great. I think most of my current ideas revolve around logging and troubleshooting... I know you were working on implementing my "re-read the queue of games needing to be idled" requirement, so if you're still on that, i'll leave it be for now. Whenever you get a chance, even if you just shoot me a PM or something. Most of the time I work on a linux laptop, so I guess keep that in mind if I need to know anything about compiling the python or whatever.

[frost@frost ~]$ python --version
Python 2.6.6

So yeah, if you clue me in, I'll see about getting to work. :3

iosefe

======
I should be playing FTL again pretty soon.

i agree that shuggy is actually good. i should play more of it.

and yes, FTL is always a good idea

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of corrosivefrost, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (corrosivefrost, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Final Fantasy Vll -- MB-A1D2347E48DAE09E - Taken by StAidan. 48 entrants total.
Final Fantasy VIII -- MB-9BDE0D916A413CD0 - Taken by ricochetguro. 54 entrants total.
Final Fantasy llI -- MB-28450F18A1211637 - Taken by GaussTek. 89 entrants total.

t1407362865z1.png

Diedac

Enjoy

ModBot said:
Instructions for Diedac:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Diedac, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Stacking -- MB-BC7C0C400EDC16C1 - Taken by thesaucetastic
Windforge -- MB-92DE43A6CC0E9F6A - Taken by TheMadMan007

Lomax

Bought Pure Pool on a whim and cause it's been a long time since I played billiards. The multiplayer in this game is both awesome and brutal. There are a few crashes here and there but it's easy to get back into a game.

...selling at $17! Marketplaced that sucker asap. Game paid for itself twice over.

If you successfully sell a foil for $17 you'll have bragging rights for the rest of your life.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

I've been um'ing and ah'ing over the game myself... but I just realised that the Talisman Gold Pack is about $10 cheaper than I was expecting, so I think I'll buy both later. I can't get enough of pool (IRL, anyway).

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Today in suck palace, I decided to install a bunch of Mac games on my MBA so I'd have something to play on an airplane tomorrow. I used to play Sim City games on airplanes but now those need to be online need Origin. So indie games it is.

Installing Steam: Steam will not install on OSX Yosemite unless you disable basically all your application security settings. If you have higher application security settings but override them to launch Steam, it will give you a message about corrupt data. Yee-haw.

Noir Syndrome: Won't boot, because it requires that Java is installed but doesn't install Java.

Puzzle Agent 2: Won't boot, no error given.

Shelter: Performs terribly, controls terribly on laptop keyboard

Wooden Sen'SeY: Awful 2D platformer, physics feel bad, first level of 9 wasn't interesting at all (finished it in 5 minutes), default key bindings have Q as left and D as right, what the hell.

Woodle Tree Adventures: Awful 3D platformer, you move slow as hell, jumping sucks, collision system sucks, if you hit anything you restart a level (which does nothing because the game doesn't keep track of deaths or respawn enemies or items you've claimed, so you just need to walk through the level again), controls are terrible on a keyboard, and the camera is one of the worst I've ever seen in a 3D platformer. I appear to have finished one of maybe 7 or 8 levels in about 5 minutes. Pity because the bright colourful style and simple texture work actually really appealed to me.

Next batch to try: Finding Teddy, Millie, Where Angels Cry, Year Walk, Deadly 30, Derrick the Deathfin

Hugstable

Banned
You guys all need to get Crypt of the Necrodancer! No joke this game is insane fun even thought I can't even get past the 3rd floor right now. Every floor has it's own track, but I haven't tried out the custom track stuff yet. Really like how you have to learn the pattern of the enemy, and that certain enemies like the skeletons have little tells like throwing their arms up into the air. Some monsters that even seem daunting like the Green Dragon aren't too bad once you realize you gotta backstep, attack, backstep attack. Even the items that you get in your runs are binded to the direction keys by having you press 2 directions to be able to use bombs and such. This is such an inventive game and I'm loving it so far. Also that daily, god damn I lasted no more than 5 seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom