• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | February 2015 - Steam GOTY results still delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/2wapvb/is_valves_dota_team_ever_gonna_do_an_ama/

lol

the top reply put it well though, and the same would happen if John Walker/Angry Joe or whoever is the current popular "pulls no punches journo" would sit down with any of them.

They'd probably just end up giving people more material to complain about.
Imagine you ask them about why the "other players can stand-in for abandoned team mates" feature was cut and they explain how the feature was internally tossed back and forth and never quite worked out and finally got scrapped since it didn't seem worth the complications. I bet a good chunk of the community replies to that answer would be something along the lines of "Oh, but when it's about hats it's no problem to keep working on scrapped features for years because you it makes you money, right?", while to the silent majority the dev's answer is probably just an easily forgettable piece of trivia.
Communicating stuff to the community pays off when it can prevent a shitstorm - like Diretide or when color-sorted MMR rumors started brewing - but otherwise the risk of generating angry misunderstandings and having to clear them up even if not everyone's gonna read up on the follow-up and facts, just doesn't seem worth the hassle. That's especially true for discussing their products' future, nobody wants to make false promises or hype up people only to disappoint and devalue communications in the future.
Plus, for most people, what matters most is Valve's actions, not talk, since they're a content provider. Asking for why Visage's auto-summon select has been bugged for ages while someone's had time for trivial tasks like Phase Boots for example usually isn't really about getting an answer, it's indirectly demanding to fix Visage. Asking about the company's internal structure and how lose teams can get shit done on time at all is usually indirectly asking for more consistent or more frequent updates. Asking about why the hell they'd think experimenting 3 months of item trade restrictions was a good idea is usually indirectly asking for the change to be reverted because of personal discomfort.
Answers to that stuff usually won't satisfy people or will be forgotten fairly quickly (Gabe forging a crowbar and saying "these things, they take time" certainly doesn't seem to have impacted Ep3/HL3 discussions, including clamoring for just a small life sign) and I doubt the potential for misinterpretations will make them a worthwhile investment. Seems like a way better move to lurk and deliver instead.

I... i... is that a... re...reasonable post in a vidya game forum.

ZOdKRs0.jpg

madjoki

Good to know!

The "or" here is a very important distinction that kind of validates my point. They're counting everyone that owns at least 1 game (regardless of when they last logged in) AND people that own no games but have logged in to their account at least once in the last 90 days.

So that means that these spam bots are being tallied in their "active user" counts.

I guess it so those who exclusive play DOTA 2 (or F2P) count.

Dark Souls
Dark Souls helped me get out of a two year slump. Heartily recommend it especially since you are looking for a game to get invested in, learn about secrets and mechanics.

I played the death out of the inferior console version. Though, revisiting it on PC would make for a good excuse to drop chunks of cash on upgrading my monitor and graphics card to finally try out some of this sweet downsampling I keep hearing about.

if you're gonna play doto you might as well play league which has much better skins

I tried LoL a little while after its launch. I'd played Dota and other awesome custom maps (like Tides of Blood!!) on WC3, and there was just something about LoL that didn't click with me.

How about Crusader Kings II? You pretty much have to watch fan-made tutorial videos to know what you're supposed to do, but it's an awesome game once you start to understand it.

What's the save/load setup like in that game? Could it played in bits, or do you have to finish a campaign or battle or whatever first? I tried Divinity: Dragon Commander and this was an issue for me; I never felt like playing because if I had to leave a battle halfway through, I wouldn't progress. There was a wonky camera thing that was counter-intuitive to most other RTS-style games that also threw me.

I'm in the same boat. I played last year's year beast, then hiatus until a few games during TI4 last summer, and then now this year's year beast.

You are absolutely right. I can't play. Like at all. People are flaming me in-game, accusing me of buying my account because "someone so noob can't have that many games/wins/items"

I mean I was'nt that good to begin with, but I feel like a toddler thrown into the deep end again.

If you'd like fellow born-again noob to play with on EU west/SEA hit me up.

steamcommunity.com/id/restecpa/

Yes the in-game guides suffice, and the most popular ones even get updated with new patches.

Nice, I might try some player vs bot matches and see if I can still last hit anything at all as a starter. I'm US East here, but I can add in case the timing is right.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I guess it so those who exclusive play DOTA 2 (or F2P) count.

True, but it also includes users like
  • My grandpa who passed away in 2013
  • My father in law who joined Steam and bought Terraria to play with his grandkids but hasn't logged in since 2011
  • The countless number of people who post online about "having a Steam account back when HL2 came out but my email changed and I don't still have my CD key plz halp!"
None of which I would personally consider to be "active".

dex3108

Hmmm PAX East is in two weeks and based on AC3/4 announcement we could get proper AC Victory announcement next week and trailer in two weeks. Also we are slowly entering pre - E3 games announcement period (March-April).

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Delusibeta, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Delusibeta, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Knights of the Old Republic -- MB-A9A5561BC0B3EAEA - Taken by Natty1. 16 entrants total.
Knights of the Old Republic 2 -- MB-EA3DEDDF86C2B9C3 - Taken by texhnolyze. 33 entrants total.

t1424282754z1.png

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I played the death out of the inferior console version. Though, revisiting it on PC would make for a good excuse to drop chunks of cash on upgrading my monitor and graphics card to finally try out some of this sweet downsampling I keep hearing about.

Dark Souls looks so good with an internal 4K rendering res on my 1080p plasma. Bouncing between this and Demon Souls on the same screen really puts it into perspective.

9927215636_350c842038_o.png

I just realized my steam version of witcher 2 was censored, because
Phillippa wasn't spanking Cynthia
when I walked in, but it was not so when I played it years ago. What the hell, I don't even live in Australia.

Edit: Oh wait, there are 2 separate scenes, ignore me.

madjoki

True, but it also includes users like
  • My grandpa who passed away in 2013
  • My father in law who joined Steam and bought Terraria to play with his grandkids but hasn't logged in since 2011
  • The countless number of people who post online about "having a Steam account back when HL2 came out but my email changed and I don't still have my CD key plz halp!"
None of which I would personally consider to be "active".

Yes, it designed to be more of marketing statistic than anything that is actually meaningful.

I actually scanned 'a few' accounts (for estimating some stats like how many own game x) and around 1/3 has last login before 2014.

448416 of 1287134 to be extract, including only user with one game according to steam api count.

So this is going to be sacrilegious in this forum, but i've been looking over what i've been playing by far the most of these last 2 weeks, and I see

Heroes of the Storm
Guild Wars 2
Elite: Dangerous
Hex: Shards of Fate

... all of them use their own launchers, and none are on Steam. The funny part? I actually don't mind it all that much! I'd prefer if they were on Steam of course, just for ease of use and whatnot, but it turns out I don't hate the dedicated launcher thing as much as I thought I would after being whole-hog on Steam for the recent past.

I think i'll hit walls in those games soon and come back to the warm embrace of Steam for the RPGs i've been intending to start (i'm only 1 hour into Divinity: OS, I haven't even started Wasteland 2, etc).

Phawx

My Let's Play of Oblitus:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-N3o1vuMF4

5ORJhbN.gif

Quick Impressions: Oblitus is a 2D Roguelike Soulslike game whose combat is entirely focused on the use of spears. There are four bosses and (IIRC correctly, I can't seem to find the data anymore) twenty two enhancements that are really kind of necessary. My first ever boss encounter, I only managed to find "Light Armor" which did shit all against the boss. What's worse is you get locked into the fight, so you better be a super quick learner or else you are most definitely going to get the "You Have Died" screen. And it is permadeath.

The levels are pseudo-procedurally generated. I say that because, I noticed that while my runs weren't completely the same, I did notice very familiar terrain patterns and obstacles. So it's more like it's cookie-cutter puzzle pieces that fit together very well randomly.

The combat is kind-of tight. For sure throwing your spear is super satisfying and the feedback you get from expertly drilling a monster in the forehead is spot-on. You don't need to fetch your spear after you throw it, you just need to wait until a set amount of time has passed. Blocking and parrying are fine and work well. It's mostly just the movement and stabbing that are more-or-less hamfisted. The feel of the close-combat is just off. There isn't any weight to it, you'll only get some bogus feedback if a monster parries you correctly, but if you are just machine-gunning the shins of monsters there is no fatigue, so it's more or less just an annoying obstacle.

There are, however, bigger monsters that do require you to be on your toes and fight with strategy or retreat to smaller alcoves that they cannot trespass.

The art and sound design are quite lovely though. Visually and acoustically the themes blend very naturally.

Even though I think the combat could be better, I do find this game incredibly fun and interesting.

Recommended

My Let's Play of Idol Hands:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_DXSlmHQ1U

wzeVb9o.gif

Quick Impressions: Idol Hands is a God Game that features terrain deformation as a requirement for growing your village of Furlings as well as being used offensively/defensively (whichever way works best strategically) against the opposing God/village.

Easily the Terrain Deformation is the stand-out feature in this game and is handled remarkably well and is graphically impressive. You'll need to use these powers to level land so that you're farmers can cultivate crops and feed your population so that you can produce more workers (wood/metal/priests) and warriors to protect your village. As you level the land around you, the border of your colony will slowly grow larger as your workers build new buildings automatically.

Another plus that I really enjoyed but doesn't really change much of the game was clicking on the minimap and zooming out super far and you are presented with a landscape that is very reminiscent of the view enjoyed in Act Raiser. Again, not the biggest thing but I really liked it.

The big negatives that I have for the game is the SUPER long mandatory tutorial sections (1+ hour(s)) and the inability to speed up the game. Everything in the game runs at 1x speed, always. So the early part of the game is rather boring because you don't even have all of your spells yet.

Overall though, the game is very charming and family friendly.

Recommended

My Let's Play of Hyphen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoKwkfdYFzI

9L3J8cH.gif

Quick Impressions:Essentially this game is a spiritual successor to a game called Irritating Stick. If you aren't aware of what that game is, perhaps you are familiar with the board game "Operation". Basically you need to navigate a spinning bar through a gauntlet of neon. If you touch ANYTHING, you will explode. Different levels offer you "checkpoints" that you can drop down at any point in the level and you'll respawn at that checkpoint upon dying. It felt like cheating to me honestly, but you can't get 5 stars on a level if you drop a checkpoint, so mastering the game requires no checkpoints.

It's rage inducing. But still fun. Provided you like Hard-On-Purpose games, I can easily recommend Hyphen.​

I just realized my steam version of witcher 2 was censored, because
Phillippa wasn't spanking Cynthia
when I walked in, but it was not so when I played it years ago. What the hell, I don't even live in Australia.

Check which version you have in your account. If it's a regular worldwide version, then I guess that means even the Witcher 2 couldn't evade Valve's puritanical gaze. Or maybe you ended up getting a regional version somehow?

IIRC you can activate the CD Key on GOG for a full version. The offer might've expired by now, though.

Benedict

My Let's Play of Hyphen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoKwkfdYFzI

9L3J8cH.gif

Quick Impressions:Essentially this game is a spiritual successor to a game called Irritating Stick. If you aren't aware of what that game is, perhaps you are familiar with the board game "Operation". Basically you need to navigate a spinning bar through a gauntlet of neon. If you touch ANYTHING, you will explode. Different levels offer you "checkpoints" that you can drop down at any point in the level and you'll respawn at that checkpoint upon dying. It felt like cheating to me honestly, but you can't get 5 stars on a level if you drop a checkpoint, so mastering the game requires no checkpoints.

It's rage inducing. But still fun. Provided you like Hard-On-Purpose games, I can easily recommend Hyphen.​

Also reminds me of a great game called Kuru Kuru Kururin on GBA.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
So Microsoft has pulled the DigitalRiver Windows iso downloads. And their 'replacement' is a site that does not accept OEM keys*, only retail ones.

*Replacement keys gotten via their fraudulent replacement program also don't work.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So Microsoft has pulled the DigitalRiver Windows iso downloads. And their 'replacement' is a site that does not accept OEM keys*, only retail ones.

*Replacement keys gotten via their fraudulent replacement program also don't work.

Looks like I'll be wrong about those using volume licence keys being able to upgrade to Win10. Sux2bapirate, although I'm sure Win10 will be cracked in due time.

Backlogger

Check which version you have in your account. If it's a regular worldwide version, then I guess that means even the Witcher 2 couldn't evade Valve's puritanical gaze. Or maybe you ended up getting a regional version somehow?

IIRC you can activate the CD Key on GOG for a full version. The offer might've expired by now, though.

I did this a couple months ago and it still worked (took a few days though):

http://www.gog.com/witcher/backup

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like I'll be wrong about those using volume licence keys being able to upgrade to Win10. Sux2bapirate, although I'm sure Win10 will be cracked in due time.

OEM keys are the ones distributed when people buy PC/laptops/tablets with Windows. But thanks for insinuating that I and millions of others pirate keys.

Phawx

Can you link the replacement?

madjoki

Neither does my MSDNAA or Dreamspark Premium (replaced MSDNAA) keys. (Obtained legally)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
OEM keys are the ones distributed when people buy PC/laptops/tablets with Windows. But thanks for insinuating that I and millions of others pirate keys.

Insinuating that wasn't the intention. VLKs and general OEM keys aren't quite the same thing, but it stands to reason that if the latter aren't accepted then the former won't work, either, and it can be further assumed that this is how things will work with the free upgrade to Win10, which isn't to say that those with OEM keys won't be able to upgrade but rather they they'll just have to jump through another hoop or two.

Tizoc

Now why didn't you get this during its discount?
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Tizoc, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

THE KING OF FIGHTERS '98 ULTIMATE MATCH FINAL EDITION -- MB-768CB2817F4DB0F6 - Taken by PARANO1A. 44 entrants total.

t1424293498z1.png

Maniac

Banned
So this is going to be sacrilegious in this forum, but i've been looking over what i've been playing by far the most of these last 2 weeks, and I see

Heroes of the Storm
Guild Wars 2
Elite: Dangerous
Hex: Shards of Fate

... all of them use their own launchers, and none are on Steam. The funny part? I actually don't mind it all that much! I'd prefer if they were on Steam of course, just for ease of use and whatnot, but it turns out I don't hate the dedicated launcher thing as much as I thought I would after being whole-hog on Steam for the recent past.

I think i'll hit walls in those games soon and come back to the warm embrace of Steam for the RPGs i've been intending to start (i'm only 1 hour into Divinity: OS, I haven't even started Wasteland 2, etc).

The stand-alone launcher is, somehow, the biggest reason I've stopped playing Guildwars 2, Hearthstone and Minecraft.

And it's that, combined with Frontier's recent troubles that's keeping me from buying Elite. :s
Hmmm PAX East is in two weeks and based on AC3/4 announcement we could get proper AC Victory announcement next week and trailer in two weeks. Also we are slowly entering pre - E3 games announcement period (March-April).

Yay... More AAA Publisher trite for the general masses to waste their time on and lose their braincells to!

Yaaaaaaay.

On the other hand I suppose we may see something that isn't generic crap. But I've my doubts. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom