• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-2 In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would it be technically possible for Chromecast to get Steam Streaming support?

I mean, just imagine a $35 device that let's you play your Steam games on any HDTV on your house (besides other things).

Didn't the Konami Rep say there was a high chance for cards to be added to MGR?
I guess that high chance was 0 since I just realized no konami game from my quick glance has cards.
I also notice it's a Platinum tradition to not offer platform decorative stuff like avatars and backgrounds on consoles.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

I mean, just imagine a $35 device that let's you play your Steam games on any HDTV on your house (besides other things).

It seems highly unlikely since the Chromecast input is typically reserved for Android devices. Meaning, at best, you would have the Chromecast streaming using Steam in-home, then you would have a controller connected to an android phone/tablet - wired or bluetooth maybe? At worst, you would need to use an on-screen controller (yuck) on your device.

It seems like an unlikely and rather clumsy scenario, at least for now.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
my turn to post tv show photos and gifs from one of my favorite shows...

I absolutely loved Twin Peaks when I watched it a few years ago now. Maybe once I re-watch the show on BD I'll finally get around to watching Fire Walk with Me also, haha.

Congrats JaseC!
Hey, you too. Those are well deserved.
Also - congrats to JaseC and nbnt for getting your tags! Well deserved.

Cheers. :)

So in Valve time next decade? :)

Haha, yeah, something like that. :p I assume "support" for adult content can't be too far off -- at worst I assume it's being slated for when Greenlight is abolished.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

No. The chromecast is not designed for the demands of a video game. You don't notice the lag when watching a video, but it would be unbearable.

You can technically stream your PC desktop right now with a chrome browser extension. But the input lag is about a full 5 seconds.

Khronico

Man, I woke up to a steam gift of a game I've wanted to play for a while from fellow GAFfer AkuMifune. The generosity of SteamGAF is really something!

No. The chromecast is not designed for the demands of a video game. You don't notice the lag when watching a video, but it would be unbearable.

You can technically stream your PC desktop right now with a chrome browser extension. But the input lag is about a full 5 seconds.
5 seconds? It would be extremely annoying setting up something to watch with that

Just had a competitive CS:GO match against power rangers, that's right, "yellow power ranger", "green power ranger" and "pink power ranger", and they destroyed us.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Evertime I see a gaffer post their profile, I have to add them. I can't help it.

I don't even really play MP games on PC!

Kiru

Today I played 2 hours of Bad Rats. I completed over 20 levels until it got too frustrating. I didn't even find it as bad as people say. What is wrong with me GAF ?!

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
5 seconds? It would be extremely annoying setting up something to watch with that
For a videogame, yeah, absolutely. I tried playing Shovel Knight as a test and I could damn near walk from the room my PC is in to the room the chromecast is in before the action registered.

However, watching media like Netflix or through Plex is a completely different experience and there isn't any serious inpout lag when sending commands.

Chromecasts are pretty damn great, but it's a 35 dollar device designed to be the cheapest point of entry on the market.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Just had a competitive CS:GO match against power rangers, that's right, "yellow power ranger", "green power ranger" and "pink power ranger", and they destroyed us.

I love theme teams in CS. I faced the gym leaders from pokemon once and they stayed in character literally the whole match.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
my turn to post tv show photos and gifs from one of my favorite shows...

ibkfcGgLLksnsz.gif

Need that blu-ray.

Dr Dogg

Well if the latest PoE update didn't get me even more excited. Really need to get a move on with my backlog.

As will all streaming solutions it's only as good as the weakest link. I can imagine the wireless chip in a Chromecast being hideous. For me I've found great success with a 7 year old knackered laptop which nicely tucks behind the TV (though my TV is a bit long in the tooth and the input latency on that is shocking). Ideally you'd want a wired network or use powerline network adapters (I think some people call them homeplugs) to cut down on cables.

MRORANGE posted a thread a while back about LIMELIGHT and the required kit you'd need. Seems like a cheaper solution than a mini PC but is still early doors.

Well if the latest PoE update didn't get me even more excited. Really need to get a move on with my backlog.

As will all streaming solutions it's only as good as the weakest link. I can imagine the wireless chip in a Chromecast being hideous. For me I've found great success with a 7 year old knackered laptop which nicely tucks behind the TV (though my TV is a bit long in the tooth and the input latency on that is shocking). Ideally you'd want a wired network or use powerline network adapters (I think some people call them homeplugs) to cut down on cables.

MRORANGE posted a thread a while back about LIMELIGHT and the required kit you'd need. Seems like a cheaper solution than a mini PC but is still early doors.

Or we can all hold out hope that Valve hasn't seen the error of its Steam machine ways and at least still releases their streaming box along with their funky controller.

kudoboi

Evertime I see a gaffer post their profile, I have to add them. I can't help it.

I don't even really play MP games on PC!

i play tons of MP games on PC but if I were to play with most gaffers my ping would be 350+. Sucks living in Asia where i'm so far from everyone else

aku:jiki

Edit: Did this guy make Noitu Love 2?
Yes. This is the game he started on after Noitu Love 2, or I think maybe he had actually started this one first?

The quoted 2 years doesn't sound at all right to me, but I could be wrong. I swear he's been working on this one since the dawn of time.

Strider

Reminds me of the last time I ever played Titanfall. We played a team that was all Daddy mixed with a Pokemon in their name. Daddysaur. Charadaddy. Pikadaddy. etc. And yes we got destroyed :(

Dr Dogg

Or we can all hold out hope that Valve hasn't seen the error of its Steam machine ways and at least still releases their streaming box along with their funky controller.

Sadly I get the feeling Valve showed their hand too early. Dell/Alienware obviously weren't going to hang around for an official release of the controller or SteamOS.

Backlogger

I just finished Alien Rage last night. I know the reviews are mixed on it but I really enjoyed it.

I am not great at writing reviews but I did post one up on Steam.

Fun fact, Courtnee Draper was a voice actor in Alien Rage (played Elizabeth from Bioshock Infinite). I thought it sounded like her but I had to finally get confirmation last night.

It seems highly unlikely since the Chromecast input is typically reserved for Android devices. Meaning, at best, you would have the Chromecast streaming using Steam in-home, then you would have a controller connected to an android phone/tablet - wired or bluetooth maybe? At worst, you would need to use an on-screen controller (yuck) on your device.

It seems like an unlikely and rather clumsy scenario, at least for now.

Ok guys, thanks for the enlightenment. Limelight looks like a great solution, too bad I have an AMD card :/

Hope we get a cheap and easy solution similar to chromecast in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom