• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-2 In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought the the whole Mount&Blade Collection for 4,41€ during sale, thanks russia!

What should I start with? Is a powerful PC needed? Only Laptop here.
Is it possible to play together with gafskies?

If you want to go single player: Start with Warband and ignore vanilla Mount & Blade, as Warband is a superior version. It would be helpful to play the tutorial so you can learn the controls. Then create your character and enter the world of Calradia (where the game is set). I recommend playing Warband for a couple hours, then if you want more, install the Floris mod. It builds upon Warband and adds a lot more content: more weapons and armor, a diplomacy mod so you can bargain with lords, expanded troop trees, and new music and sounds. It is what I play when I play Warband. You can find the mod here: http://www.moddb.com/mods/floris-mod-pack

Another mod to try out, especially if you are a fan of Game of Thrones, is A Clash of Kings. This mod turns the game into Westeros and is set in between books 2 and 3 (WITH A SPOILER IF YOU HAVEN"T FINISHED BOOK 3). Fight for House Stark and defend the North, or aid Renly Baratheon in claiming the Iron Throne. Or claim it for yourself! More info at the link.

I haven't really played much MP, since I have a ton of fun just doing single player. Warband does include MP and there is a popular mod for it, c-RPG, which makes the multiplayer persistent (you earn gold and can buy better armor and weapons for your MP character) and adds a couple new modes. I haven't tried it myself but I hear it is awesome.

As for the other games in the collection, Napoleonic Wars is just MP DLC featuring the final years of the French Empire’s struggle to remain the dominant power of Western Europe in the early 19th century. It adds 19th century weapons and armor including artillery, MP up to 200 players, and 5 nations with over 330 unique units to choose from. I haven't played this.

With Fire & Sword is not very good. It's basically DLC that adds more to the base game, including guns which kinda unbalance the game. It's basically a weak mod when compared to Floris or some of the other ones, like Brytenwalda or Prophecy of Pendor.

You can find a lot of the mods for Warband here: http://www.moddb.com/games/mount-blade-warband/mods?sort=ranktoday-asc

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Today's Humble DRM-Freedom daily deals

Kentucky Route Zero - $24.99 $12.49
Volgarr the Viking - $11.99 $3.99
Ether One - $19.99 $6.99
Ether One Deluxe - $29.99 $7.49
Guacamelee! Gold Edition - $14.99 $2.99
Escape Goat 2 - $9.99 $5.99
Shank 2 - $9.99 $2.49
Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP - $7.99 $1.59
Puzzle Agent 2 - $9.99 $2.49
Cosmic DJ - $5.99 $3.59

I could go on and on about Kentucky Route Zero being awesome and possibly knocking some games out of my top 5 of all time, but I want to point everyone towards Ether One in this sale. It was a surprise release for me and while it does go slightly Bioshock: Infinite by the end the journey is beautiful and mystifying. I summed it up before at the end of the summer sale thread:

The first is Ether One, which just about swept me off of my feet when I first played it. It's a puzzle oriented exploration game where you travel through the memories of a person trying to piece everything back together by putting things back the way they were when the memory was created. Puzzles are very well integrated into the world - stuff like finding out the exact time a shipment left a boat dock, taking an action to ensure a future event could occur or even retracing someone's routine. You never have to worry about being stuck though. The game progresses simply by finding red ribbons in the memory. The puzzles are 99% optional and only serve to flesh out the mystery and show the depth of the world. A modern Myst with vague hints of Dear Esther, just less maudlin.

I have a full sized review written, but I'll spare the wall of text unless someone wants to read it out.

Damn, Volcy. That's a badass giveaway.

Ysiest choice to enter that one. If i didn't own all of them between vita/PC i'd be so excited for that giveaway.

Also, now on the ice mountains in Ys II. I found some shoes that should allow me to access parts of the area i couldnt access before but, of course, im all out of magic right now so i can't destroy the ice blocking my path on the way back to the previous area.

I *think* MP regens in this game but if it doesn't then i dunno what im going to do hah.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
A few humble spares:

ModBot said:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (JaseC, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Stacking -- MB-74E678012222FF3E - Taken by Halo 2
Lifeless Planet -- MB-7683DED46DDC4CB7 - Taken by derExperte

Paranautical Activity -- MB-B6392E64A0C724A0 - Taken by PLASTICA-MAN
Darkout -- MB-EA9CA7642FC886F7 - Taken by Kifimbo

Khronico

I'm watching a "let's Play" on Warband.

I now want Warband.

Warband is one of the greatest games ever made and I will stand by that statement till my dying breath.

Inquisitor is 90% off at .99 currently. Still undecided whether to buy it myself, but thought I'd mention it for those looking for an old-school RPG.

Inquisitor is great if you like reading lots and lots of well written dialogue. I swear all ~2 hrs of my time with that game was spent reading. Not that I'm complaining, the writing is really good. There's even a quest that just consists of you listening to the life story of an NPC. You'd think that would be the most boring thing ever but I just kinda sat there for ten minutes straight reading it all. Very few games have writing good enough to do that to me.

JakeD

Is there any reason to not pick up Volgarr? I am afraid I might get frustrated but at $4 seems to good to pass up.

you will get frustrated. a lot. you will probably even wanna call the devs a dick like that guy did earlier. but you should definitely buy it

chronomac

More extras from the new weekly Humble Bundle. I forgot I had Stacking, which probably shouldn't happen.
ModBot said:
Instructions for chronomac:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (chronomac, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Stacking -- MB-FEA47610D44927AF - Taken by Sammichu. 13 entrants total.
Paranautical Activity -- MB-A454EDB870F2B5A3 - Taken by -MD-. 4 entrants total.

t1405027474z1.png

Vuze

I will probably only repost this one more time in the evening or so, just wanted to make sure everyone that wants to enter, can (you can enter for all of them (each with a diff PM though), but only win one!) (Original post to be edited)

Great giveaway, too bad I'm not interested in the Ys franchise haha. Good luck to everybody participating!

Lifeless Planet for $10 is great, a very nice experience.

Ozium

hello hello hello

has morningbus seen/commented on croteam's latest masterpiece they are working on? would love to hear his impressions...

If you want to go single player: Start with Warband and ignore vanilla Mount & Blade, as Warband is a superior version. It would be helpful to play the tutorial so you can learn the controls. Then create your character and enter the world of Calradia (where the game is set). I recommend playing Warband for a couple hours, then if you want more, install the Floris mod. It builds upon Warband and adds a lot more content: more weapons and armor, a diplomacy mod so you can bargain with lords, expanded troop trees, and new music and sounds. It is what I play when I play Warband. You can find the mod here: http://www.moddb.com/mods/floris-mod-pack

Another mod to try out, especially if you are a fan of Game of Thrones, is A Clash of Kings. This mod turns the game into Westeros and is set in between books 2 and 3 (WITH A SPOILER IF YOU HAVEN"T FINISHED BOOK 3). Fight for House Stark and defend the North, or aid Renly Baratheon in claiming the Iron Throne. Or claim it for yourself! More info at the link.

I haven't really played much MP, since I have a ton of fun just doing single player. Warband does include MP and there is a popular mod for it, c-RPG, which makes the multiplayer persistent (you earn gold and can buy better armor and weapons for your MP character) and adds a couple new modes. I haven't tried it myself but I hear it is awesome.

As for the other games in the collection, Napoleonic Wars is just MP DLC featuring the final years of the French Empire’s struggle to remain the dominant power of Western Europe in the early 19th century. It adds 19th century weapons and armor including artillery, MP up to 200 players, and 5 nations with over 330 unique units to choose from. I haven't played this.

With Fire & Sword is not very good. It's basically DLC that adds more to the base game, including guns which kinda unbalance the game. It's basically a weak mod when compared to Floris or some of the other ones, like Brytenwalda or Prophecy of Pendor.

You can find a lot of the mods for Warband here: http://www.moddb.com/games/mount-blade-warband/mods?sort=ranktoday-asc
Thanks for taking the time to write so much in detail. Really appreciated.
Guess I'll get the floris mod and play warband. You made me really excited about it.
Never watched Game of Thrones, so no need for that mod for me.

A few humble spares:
Thanks for the chance to get Lifeless Planet!

Shantom

i looked it up and:

Premium members are rewarded with one of ten exclusive titles found on GoG! Titles include hits like Dungeon Keeper, Empire Earth, and Sacred: Gold edition!

looks like you need to actually make an account before seeing the other 7 choices. Witcher 3 probably not offered =(

It's a choice from this list
  • Sacred Gold
  • Gothic 2 Gold Edition
  • Empire Earth: Gold Edition
  • Divine Divinity
  • Dungeon Keeper Gold
  • Darwinia
  • Tiny and Big: Grandpa's Leftovers
  • Puddle
  • Defender's Quest
  • Megabyte Punch
Thank you both! Some good games in there but there's nothing else in the $6 tier to tempt me, so I'll use my money on this instead (from that funstock deal above):

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Shantom, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

PAC-MAN Championship Edition DX Plus All You Can Eat Edition -- MB-D3F58F596ED69BFA - Taken by PunishedSnake

By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Note: The key you added for PAC-MAN Championship Edition DX Plus All You Can Eat Edition was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.

t1405027953z1.png

I'm really curious for those who liked Lifeless Planet - can you tell me why? I feel like we played different games because I did not care for it and I seem to be the only one.

I didn't like it very much. The idea is good and it starts out nice, but it's way too long and it doesn't have enough story and gameplay to stay interesting.

Vuze

I'm really curious for those who liked Lifeless Planet - can you tell me why? I feel like we played different games because I did not care for it and I seem to be the only one.

Maybe I'm not after all haha

I liked the atmosphere that the developer created, I really felt immersed, gave me the feeling of being lost on that planet far away from home heh. The puzzling and exploration gameplay was also just fine. It's probably a love or hate thing like most "experiences" ;)

derExperte

You are not the only one, it's more the other way around, I'm surprised that so many here liked it while everywhere else the consensus seems to be 'interesting at first, then boring, then annoying'. Thanks to JaseC I'll play a bit later and will report back.

So what you're saying is that it's... lifeless?

*crickets*

mUjmI3T.gif

GaussTek

Here's a Strife Beta code if anyone wants it. Apparently you need to register at Strife.com first to use it.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (GaussTek, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Strife Closed Beta Key -- MB-6AF2F08121ED9381 - Taken by AsylumX

Turfster

Good news, everyone.
It's not my spine or a hernia.
Bad news is we still don't know exactly what it is =p

Looks like most of the deals that happened during my absence got posted.

Apparently, more people are playing Unturned than Rust, Terraria and Day Z (aka the things it's slapped together with Minecraft for its game loop) combined?
Not sure how I feel about that.
Good for them, but I weep for the popularity of these kinds of games =p

A couple left from my previous giveaway. Take them.

Hopefully there are no problems with the keys. My apologies if there are.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (DaBargainHunta, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

The Journey Down Chapter 1 -- MB-D2AEE39E255F25B9 - Taken by Spring-Loaded
1953 KGB Unleashed -- MB-5DFC0A7CCE491220 - Taken by Kanhir

onionfrog

I've never played any of the Ys games before and I was reluctant to buy more games since I've got plenty of stuff to play from the summer sale...

But then I remembered that I've got some M&M money in my steam wallet!

Definitely going to buy Ys: Oath in Felghana later tonight!

Thanks for taking the time to write so much in detail. Really appreciated.
Guess I'll get the floris mod and play warband. You made me really excited about it.
Never watched Game of Thrones, so no need for that mod for me.

No problem. Warband is one of my favorite games, so I hope more people in SteamGAF try it out.

derExperte

they sent it to me at 9:06pm, when i got to the site there were 21 keys, and i wasn't able to get one... :(

100 keys while the AMD group alone has 30.000 members. Ain't happening.

But I enjoy seeing so many posting the names of two games they want. That takes a special kind of stupid.

Jawmuncher

So I opened up my Xbox One controller and the cause was get this.
The screw that's supposed to hold the board in the controller somehow got loose and got stuck to the triggers magnet. Hoe the hell does that even happen.

Ozium

So, of the fps roguelikes that have popped up on Steam which is the best? From my count there is: Rogue Shooter: The FPS Roguelike, Hoovy Bullets, Fancy Skulls and Paranautical Activity..

Which is the best and why? Bullets and Skulls look the most interesting to me, art style wise.

DSN2K

I have a Spec Ops:The Line key going so I'll ask the following bizarre obscure question...

how many times do you need to pop in and out to see Meryl take off her pants ?

first correct answer wins + your a master perve.

rrs

Just lol at Sakura Spirit, and a even more comical price for it

I have a Spec Ops:The Line key going so I'll ask the following bizarre obscure question...

how many times do you need to pop in and out to see Meryl take off her pants ?

first correct answer wins + your a master perve.

guessing 3

FTL

ModBot said:

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (ItsGeeMcGee, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

FTL Faster Than Light -- MB-41D2A23A291D13B7

t1405018595z1.png

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
ModBot said:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (The_Super_Inframan, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Stacking -- MB-8861707E7D553BE6 - Taken by Out_Of_Ammo. 9 entrants total.
Paranautical Activity -- MB-F051A9D4F304FB68 - Taken by Baron_Calamity. 1 entrants total.
MAKING HISTORY II THE WAR OF THE WORLD -- MB-B10801422E6C978A - Taken by PandaPandaPanda. 1 entrants total.
Darkout -- MB-8C379C1460D38C0A - Taken by Bonfires Down. 2 entrants total.
1000 AMPS -- MB-425DC54BF65BDD75 - Taken by KainXVIII. 3 entrants total.
BATTLEPILLARS GOLD EDITION -- MB-C44D7312E877CFB8 - Taken by swx. 1 entrants total.

t1405018653z1.png
-

So, of the fps roguelikes that have popped up on Steam which is the best? From my count there is: Rogue Shooter: The FPS Roguelike, Hoovy Bullets, Fancy Skulls and Paranautical Activity..

Which is the best and why? Bullets and Skulls look the most interesting to me, art style wise.

There's also Delver. I think Paranautical Activity had some drama a short while ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom